Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
frawft
Chaos-Blades
Reaper
7 posters

Nerf Coilgun

Reaper
    Reaper

Nerf Coilgun Empty Nerf Coilgun

Post  Reaper Thu May 20, 2010 7:00 am

Recently, me and chinnerz have been having a conversation about the feasibility of a Nerf Coilgun, and we've decided to continue our conversation publicly, so that everyone can get ideas, ask questions, etc. Here's the conversation so far:

The conversation so far... wrote:
    I'm looking into making a 4-Stage Coilgun LS at the moment (the Coilgun extends into the barrel extension). If it works, then it would definitely qualify for this gametype. It'd be so funny to see everyone fire a shot at you, then spend twenty seconds reloading.
    That would involve quite a bit of power (like LOTS!!), a large capacitor bank, lots of batteries, make your reload time at least 2 mins, make your gun super fragile, would involve using a metal/semi metal dart, can may hurt someone quite bad! Did i mention one short circuit and your gun becomes a fire hazard??

On a side note it would be great for S-n'-G's Razz Razz

Well hook the gun up to 2 dozen 12v RC batteries in a backpack, mount all the technology inside a foam casing inside a metal cylinder, and I'm obviously gonna give it an auto-shutoff system in case of short circut. Plus, a steel fishing weight inside a stock Streamline and bang - 160 or so foot range and able to fire about twenty magazines without reload. AND really easy to cock because no need for extra springs. It'll take a two years or so, but once done, I will have the world's most devasting Nerf gun. Also, if it works, I might be able to do a couple for other people, albeit at a high price... that said, I have no idea if it's going to work yet, or if I'll even be able to get the materials.

ow thats going to be massive! Unless your 12v RC batteries are a lot smaller than mine.
    Also its not the battery I'm talking about, have you seen a large capacitor shorting?? I shorted it on a metal ruler, it looks like 2 spot welds! One of my friends copped one to the elbow, burn him. Absolutely annihilated copper wire leaving one a few strands and a big black mark on the table. This much power will propel a dart 2 meters?? or at least in a 1 stage coil gun didn't embed a nail into cardboard at point blank! I'll see if i can find out how many farads it was.

Also, caps don't like being shorted out, so they may have a poor life (high running costs)

, it would be massive. But also, you could adjust range by controlling the power flow.

yeah that was something we knocked up in 2 hrs. tried to get the least resistance but it was stupidly weak. if you want to get 100-150 ft, I would recommend going pneumatic or combustion. Although that AJ doesn't like me talking about making stupidly powerful guns,, so dont say you got any ideas from me Razz Razz

Understood. Also, you can make a powerful coilgun, just keep piling on batteries (LOL).

yeah LOL, (although that would mostly decrease charge times, piling on caps will make it stronger..... ahh you should see what happened when i added 3 caps onto a flash circuit on a camera.... the results were surprising to say the least Razz Razz good times....)

Okay, remind me to pile on more Caps. Also, that would have been funny with the Camera... Anyway, as far as I can see, the only issues would be the weight (the gun alone would be about three times as heavy as a Vulcan, and the batteries... well, I wouldn't be going anywhere fast. And the fact that I'd only be able to fire darts once or twice before they became magnetised. Oh yeah, and how I'd stop the electromagnet ripping all the screws out of the gun...

This rly seems like a discussion to have publicly, as i think you will get a better answer/ others may get their questions answered.

But i think you should be ok with the screws at the back of the gun, maybe you should get some plastic screws, or come up with a way of gluing the shell together.... but then it will be hard to fix anything if it becomes damaged/replace caps when they stop working...

i have held some wooden projects together using wooden dowels, maybe if you made a fiberglass/epoxy base and used wooden dowels.....

Or you make the whole gun out of wood and cardboard, not packing card but thick ridged ones which you get from art shops. IDK man, there are a few ways to do it, you will just have to see what works best for you.

If anyone has ideas, questions, flames, etc, post away.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Nerf Coilgun Empty Re: Nerf Coilgun

Post  Chaos-Blades Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 am

Good luck.
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 am

My spidey-sense is tingling... could it be... SARCASM?
    frawft
    frawft

Post  frawft Thu May 20, 2010 11:22 am

Oh dont forget the slight issue that if it hits something its going to FUCKING CANE!!!!
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Post  kingkottah Thu May 20, 2010 12:01 pm

So your basicaly making a Gouse Cannon (De Gouse's cannon basicaly lanching a metal projectile and using magnets to push it along) of nerf?
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Thu May 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Well... Trying....
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 pm

I think you'll rip the BB out of the dart long before you get it to fire at great distances.. even if you have a barrel with 0 drag (impossible) the sudden acceleration would most likely do it, nothing really bonds wel to FBR, shit my triple shot shoots the tips off stefans..

Doubt this will get finished. But eh whatever

Aj
    Snoopy

Post  Snoopy Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm

-Aj- wrote:I think you'll rip the BB out of the dart long before you get it to fire at great distances.. even if you have a barrel with 0 drag (impossible) the sudden acceleration would most likely do it, nothing really bonds wel to FBR, shit my triple shot shoots the tips off stefans..

Doubt this will get finished. But eh whatever

Aj

Yeah, that's what I first thought when I was researching these coil guns after your post. Some of them go like 30m/s (98ft/s) and some even more, I think the acceleration would rip the metal projectile from the foam, which would basically be like a sabot for the metal projectile, maybe you need to put the metal weight like 1/3 the way down from the front and make sure the front is well covered from the metal projectile, maybe, I'm not sure.

But it sounds very interesting, if you did make it work, it could be a finicky depending on the system but very good luck with it.
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Fri May 21, 2010 5:53 am

You see, I'm gonna be using stock streamlines with steel slugs in them. Therefore, it's being kept in there by the rubber tip, which is far stronger than FBR. Only issue is, it could be easily converted to fire steel bullets, and it given that the bullets could be about 14mm and it would have (for a Nerf Gun) MONSTROUS muzzle velocity (high enough to kill someqone with a bullet), it would be illegal, because it would be classified as a high-caliber rifle.
    Snoopy

Post  Snoopy Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Yeah, legality issues to deal with as well.
    Also coil guns heat up, the copper coil heats up in high powered guns, so rapid fire may not be plausible, unless the gun was weaker, i.e. less current passing through or larger gauge wire to reduce heating.
    And then you also got to factor in the charging time to power up the capacitor, some take as long as a few minutes to recharge while others a few seconds, but this is dependant on the size of the capacitor and the power supply, namely batteries for portability.
    Cool thing to note though is that you basically have no barrel, well you do but its also apart of the coil system, and you don't need it to be airtight at all, since it uses electromagnets to suck the metal weight towards it and not forcing any air through or anything.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Sat May 22, 2010 4:59 am

I certainly hope that IF you can get it to work properly, that you don't use it in a public place. A guy I know got his homemade springer confiscated because it was made of metal.
    The police argued that he had the ability to construct a firearm.
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Sat May 22, 2010 12:02 pm

You see, I'm going to have two coils in the actual Longshot and two in the Barrel Extension, so I actually have a two foot barrel two mount my four-stage coilgun in. And most of the exterior is still going to be that of a Longshot, just with some Aluminium running along the side. PS, I haven't actually gotten started yet. Chinnerz, would you be interested in doing this as a joint project? You do the Barrel Extension coilgun section, I'll do the main gun. I'm still not sure when I'll get started though, as I'm planning on building a proof-of-concept, dual-stage, metal-firing coilgun just to see if it's actually feasible (and to get an idea of the power requirements, etc). If we did do it as a joint project, I could mail it to you whenever you wanted (correction: when you were ALLOWED) to use it at a war (I live in a different state, not naming which one. I don't give out personal details online, ever).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am