If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)
Custom Search

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1917 registered users

The newest registered user is ShaGGz LMS

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

State of Play - August 2010

-Aj-

State of Play - August 2010

Post  -Aj- on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:36 am

So this post is to put forth some things that a few of us have been talking about, so that the wider community can weigh in on them and adopt as necessary.

Australia as a country is getting more and more paranoid about guns - the strict gun laws have created a population that does not know anything about weapons, and hence is just scared of what it does not know. The last decade's focus on terrorism and the whole 'be alert but not alarmed' thing means that we face a public who is simply scared of the unknown and will lash out if it feels it's safety is in any ay threatened.

Nerf borders on the grey area of legal and illegal (without licensing and registration) weapons, however whilst some nerf guns might only be legal with licenses, this would mean they could not be used in public areas etc effectively outlawing them to nerf wars.

Also it seems that the australian nerf community is continually gaining members who are using nerf as something to do because other options like airsoft and paintball are not readily available.

Another observation is that a high percentage of the aus NIC are gamers and enjoy FPS games like COD, Halo etc.

So where does that put us?

On very very thin ice.

As younger people, you may not understand the wider social implications of painting your gun black/camo or running around in full tactical gear and helmets, but this kind of behaviour is what would generate negative media attention if it was ever reported.

As nerfers we need to keep our guns looking like TOYS. Brightly coloured toys. You might think that keeping just the trigger and barrel orange is ok, but most people who would call the police do not see our blasters that close to distinguish - they see kids with tac vests running around with gun shaped silhouettes. Even darker Paint Jobs should be avoided where possible, as a general rule of thumb at least 50% of the surface area of your blaster should be brightly coloured.

We're also approaching the era of homemades in Australia - 2 members have already imported +bows, I'm part way through making my 1st batch, people are getting interested in HAMPS etc etc however this kind of shit has much larger ramifications in Australia than in the states.

For starters we can be charged with 'capacity to make an offensive weapon'.

So you need to think about that - paint your +bow bright goddam yellow or something.

As a rule of thumb, at major nerf wars, including this years Reign of Foam, all blasters must be in a nerf, buzzbee, Air zone, larami etc shell. You can take + bow internals and put them in a longstrike (good fit btw), just make sure it LOOKS like nerf.

The majority of this is managing PERCEPTION, not what is, but WHAT PEOPLE THINK IS GOING ON. Another way of looking at it is thinking about how people from the outside view us.

Another issue, is tactical gear.

It's useful - I own a ton of it myself, however I've careful in how much I use at any given time, otherwise a) we just look tryhard b) people think we're from Al Qaida.

On the isssue of helmets, and airsoft masks etc etc

no.

Flat out 100% no. By using these at nerf wars we're asking for negative attention. Sure one guy wearing it could just be passed of as "oh check out that guy, he's a bigger douche than all the other douche's playing in this park", but as soon as multiple people or whole wars of soldier-esque faceless kids start appearing in suburban parks this sport is fucked, expect to see us on A Current Affair.

Dont get me wrong, I love them too.. if there was a huge war happening on private property I'd be there with my Army of Two skull mask on because I think its the fucking tits, but for public wars, it has to be a no.

Myself and Chad we're discussing this last night, and well despite the looks getting us into a lot of trouble they are pretty useful because we're facing some pretty powerful guns out on the field now, however that's the problem.

We've always promoted nerf as a safe sport, and when facemasks and helmets are needed then its no longer safe. We need to tone down the weapons used and tighten up on dart use.

We'll be looking at phasing out singled titans and plugged 4b's etc, as these are the most deadly.

Furthermore, we're looking at moving all official Aus NIC wars to Felt tipped stefans by 2011. We're already investigating a mass order of 20-100 thousand felt tips from mc master, to be divided up amongst the states. This means we will need to adopt the states' method of war hosting - where darts are supplied or must comply with a given standard.

At the moment you arrive to a war and there are 5-6 people with sensible darts and a few noobs with crazy weird creations n stuff. I know the QLD guys all use screw caps at the moment, I've tested these but ultimately they are not soft enough on impact, nor do they inhibit range really, like the FWS's do (it's hard to get them past around 110, automatically curbing some of the more powerful blasters)

So to summarise

No Helmets/facemasks at public nerf wars
    No dark coloured guns - min 50% surface area bright colours
    Homemade internals in Nerf shells should be what we aim for for public wars, until such a point that nerf is accepted more legitimately by the general population.
    All attempts will be made to move to felt washer tipped stefans, look out for more information on the bulk order
    Tactical gear/ War dress code - avoid/ban camouflage - camo shorts or pants are fine, all camo is a different story.
    Stop buying titans to single (use them as Demo weapons in FFP instead ) and plugging your 4b's, as these will eventually be on the out to make nerf safer.

So there's a few things to consider, you might be like "who the <Censored> are you to tell me how to play nerf" well myself and chad are the organisers of ROF, I'm the founder of Foam Sports Australia and am moving to have that as an association asap, and eventually FSA and AN will far outgrow this place so either jump on board our bandwagon or go start your own wars n shit, just dont expect us to support or promote them.

These aren't solid rules yet, but this is more to put out there what kind of direction things are probably going to take, and get the community to give us some feedback. Some of the members of this community I'm very interested to hear what you have to say on this, however there will also be some people that we basically... dont care.. about... harsh.. but true.. some members contribute more and will most likely continue to contribute and grow the sport, alot of others will just continue to be douches and they're the people we're not reeeally worried about loosing.

Aj

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Bow to me for I am your new god mod

Roger Explosion wrote:you won't even get close to hitting the broardside of Aj's ego using stock streamlines
    TheKhakinator

Re: State of Play - August 2010

Post  TheKhakinator on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:56 am

All good points, really. If you're gonna be having huge public wars (like ROF) I think what you've said is all legit.

splosionman

Post  splosionman on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 am

I think some valuable things have been said here.

The most controversial decision is obviously the one about limiting guns, and shifting to felt tipped darts. I think that the shift to felt tips is a sensible idea. Do you really need to be hitting more than 120ft with a gun at a war? Probably not, though plenty of people would like to.
    Titans are overrated. They shoot too far, to the point of endangering people, especially with less sensible members of the community. The same can be said of plugged 4bs. They are not an essential part of nerf, so I do not think the decision will affect wars as much as you expect it would.
    Felt tipped darts are also a welcome change. While guns can still maintain decent range, it stops darts getting to the 'really hurts' kind of force, as well as being softer. They are also easier to make, and I think nerf wars will actually be better because of them, with less long range spaming going on.

Good job Aj, it was going to happen, and you were the one to take responsibility.
    Joey

Post  Joey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:24 am

Going to post this story that I found last night:

"I was walking through South Bank today, with my Maverick (which is still it's original colours, yellow and grey) in my new idiotproof holster, and do you know what, now the public apparently think I am carrying a taser, despite the fact that the bottom of the Nerf gun sticks out of the idiotproof holster.
    And the police came after me, as I was getting on to a ferry, and took me off the ferry and grilled me about why I was carrying this Nerf gun that apparently looks like a taser...so I told them that I was, in fact, involved in an online/real-world role playing game where combatants are on the look out for other combatants, who are wearing their Nerf guns in holsters or otherwise in plain view, and the idea is to Nerf them before they Nerf you.
    Despite this, they confiscated my Nerf Maverick, claiming that 'the public feels threatened' and issued me with a $300 fine for 'causing a public nuisance - threatening behavior' (despite not pointing the Nerf gun at anyone, nor acting in a threatening way), and I was also issued with an order not to return to South Bank Parklands for 10 days."

source: 3rd Post Down

Note, This did not happen to me, nor do I know the person it did happen to. Though I don't think they would lie. Also the security at southbank are paranoid as all hell.

This isnt so much a problem for me as I host wars privately in my own home. But I will tell you now BE WEARY when having war in public.

The whole thing is BS, I know, but will be an bug issue (if not now) in the future for all of us.

As AJ said its all bout PERCEPTION! Where then are a ton of KIDS playing with BRIGHTLY COLORED TOY guns it is fine, but when there is one GUY with WHAT MIGHT be a gun OR a tazer on a quick look it becomes suspicious.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Slydev nerf parts and accessories store
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:44 am

Would that mean your MM Raider will be banned?
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:48 am

Potentially, it cannot achieve the pressure or volume of a big blast, me n chad will probably test it against an unplugged 4b and see if it is more powerful - if it is then it will be banned. Alternatively I may just switch to a pump that has a built in OPRV, such as a RF20 or hornet pump.

When Holstering or putting guns in your pocket I'd advise that people make sure that the grip of the gun is brightly coloured, I have some hi-vis orange flagging tape and I just wrap a couple wraps of this around the handle so it disrupts the 'realistic look' that the dark handles on nerf guns can give.

Aj

Roger Explosion wrote:you won't even get close to hitting the broardside of Aj's ego using stock streamlines
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:53 am

I don't Plug my BBBB because I think that's silly because that's unsafe for yourself if it decides to explode on you or could seriously own someone.

I think the rules with "Titan's" are that they can either only shoot giant rockets or be a 'shotgun'. Coop772 says his shotgun maverick (titan tank) only gets about 60ft.

Also yeah... Joey and I were discussing this and the main issue here is it looking like a real gun. If you think about it... Black tactical gear could be considered unfriendly to the public eye as 'badly' as you could say with Camo. Although the other thing I realised one reason why Nerf decided to make their tactical gear 'magazine' pouches just elastic strap and that's because one of the reasons could be that it's not 'concealing' anything compared to other tactical gear you can buy online.

Yes I won't wear that Mask during the ROF, but I'll still wear it in Brisbane Wars. I've asked around and people say they don't want to wear a mask so I guess I'm the only one.

Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 am

AJ beat me to the punch. All that he said I was about to say and I'm glad he's saved me the effort. I agree with everything that has been said. There's no need to pack away your +bows and singled titans yet as they're still ok for smaller wars and you're still welcome to shoot them in your own backyard. Just know that any dumb shit you guys pull that injure innocent people make us all look bad.

RoF is still allowing for +bows or homemades, but they MUST be housed inside a nerf gun's shell. You cannot use anything that looks like a homemade on the outside, cover it up completely. A little bit of the barrel can stick out, but to further explain I'll put up some pictures...

1) AJ's mega raider - borderline, cover up the pump and it'll be ok

2) Nite Finder - This is fine

3) Nite Finder - This however is not ok, the barrel attachment is almost as big as the nf itself

4) Big blast - Take off the hopper and shorten the barrel and it'll be ok.

5) Maverick with LED's - Completely ok, it's just cosmetic.

6) Brightly colored tactical shield - Fine, as long as the color scheme remains

7) Scout with paintjob - Fine, but the color scheme can't get much darker than that.

Triple shot and Magstrike - Borderline, but still allowed. The silly skulls keep it feeling kiddy.

9) RF20 + longshot integration - OK, it looks suitably clean and kiddy

10) Tornado - Hell no, don't even think about it

11) Longshot with white camo - Too close to arctic camo, this one's a no.

12) Longstrike - Come anywhere close to RoF with this and we'll smash it for you.

So I hope you guys get the idea. We'll have to do it on a case-by-case basis but the general rule is to use your common sense and if you're unsure if it's not going to be allowed, ask me or AJ beforehand and we'll say if it's OK or not. A bit of paint or plastic here to cover things up may be all you need to make something legal so don't feel too disheartened.
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 am

If i may insert my 2 cents into that place where they go...

No face masks ay? I get what you are trying to say about "if you need protection, then its not super safe", but ill tell you right now a Stock NF shot point blank into someones eye... well apparently it hurts like hell and you end up with a dark purple circle in your vision for about a week. I would say its worth looking like a try hard in order to retain something important like vision... and teeth

In relation to your opinion on camo/paint jobs, i think (this is entirely my own opinion) Yellow and orange is the crapest colour scheme in history :\ However that being said i agree with you, flat black isn't really a good choice when it comes to looking safe and non hostile, not to mention its the most unimaginative colour scheme you could possibly think of.

What is your opinion on camo's like dazzle, arctic and hell?

Can i (if you have access to such info) have some idea as to how much these felt tips will cost? they are not BAD, i mean i still would like to feel it when i get hit. I would like to comply with you rules however, i would like to test it out first before i make a few hundred "nerfed" nerf darts.

About putting homemade components into a stock gun, isn't it just as bad? i mean all your doing is concealing an illegal weapon into a toy, if people find out we nerfers can in fact do this then wont it paint a even worse light on the sport? Also the fast that you hid it means you know its illegal and used it any way? isn't that worse?!?

Finally about tac gear are you sure it should be seen as a bad thing? I mean a black or brown vest with a crap load of pockets may look odd, but to on lookers i don't know they the first thing they think of is army, its also useful as hell for some people.

littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:20 am

Well see with my big blast...

I think if we're going to use Pipes we should spray paint them Orange or fluro of any colour.
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 am

No, the opinions of you qld guys are important to me, as you are also a reasonably active community.

I dont think we need to flat out ban tactical gear, just be conscious of our overall 'look'. a couple drop leg holsters is not really a problem, also however we should be careful of what we wear underneath, I'm one of those guys that thinks all black looks cool too, but its just not going to get us anywhere. Wear a bright coloured t shirt or something - given that our guns SHOULD BE very bright and visible 'blending in' is not really an option, so what does it matter if we wear bright clothes or we all have coloured armbands/headbands or something to denote teams.

Also red vs blue is traditionally our 'team colours', however nerf have moved to bright orange vs bright green and if possible we should too - if we're clearly marked with team colours etc or other visual signifiers that we are participating in a game then it gives off a lot less of a threatening image to the public.

EDIT: @Chinnerz (I replied before he posted)

Slugs will still hurt slightly, definitely. It's just a bit different having some padding on the tip than just hard hot glue, as far as them being 'nerfed' I cant push white foam past 110' with splitshot 00, the only way we can get them to go further is with heavier weights which should also be banned.

Also, no facemasks but as at ALL nerf wars EYE PROTECTION IS MANDATORY.

I dont see homemade internals as a problem - they will be restricted by the same rules on power as actual nerf guns, meaning that there really isn't a huge difference in performance, the problem with homemades is not that they are overpowered - we still ban all overpowered homemades and particularly homemade airguns, the problem is more the look, which the nerf shells fix.

Aj

Last edited by -Aj- on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total

Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 am

I for one do plan to keep plugging 4B's and singling titans, don't get me wrong. Public perception is the most important thing but what you plan to do in your own place or private wars is fine. Personally, I don't mind the wars where we all have 100ft+ guns, but we'd have to plan those more carefully so that we can't have them where there are lots of people. I have a few venues for that kind of thing, and so should people in other states.

You'll never catch me using those things if I think it's going to endanger the public or even if I think some paranoid old grannies are going to be watching. Safety and fun are important to me too but I also feel that nerf wars without the incredibly long range guns can be less exciting and I would hate to see that disappear completely.

No face masks ay? I get what you are trying to say about "if you need protection, then its not super safe", but ill tell you right now a Stock NF shot point blank into someones eye... well apparently it hurts like hell and you end up with a dark purple circle in your vision for about a week. I would say its worth looking like a try hard in order to retain something important like vision... and teeth

Glasses and goggles are still allowed. If your teeth were going to fall out from a felt tip dart, they were going to fall out anyway.

About putting homemade components into a stock gun, isn't it just as bad? i mean all your doing is concealing an illegal weapon into a toy, if people find out we nerfers can in fact do this then wont it paint a even worse light on the sport? Also the fast that you hid it means you know its illegal and used it any way? isn't that worse?!?

Perception is the key here. It's not worse even if people find out because even if people do find out, they'd just realise it's just toy guns anyway. We simply don't want the cops being called on us. We also don't want to be brought down to the level where we just use stock guns or damn close to it. A huge appeal of nerf is customisation. If we took that away, lots of people would quit, including myself.

littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 am

And that's why Dart Tag Blasters are now Orange and Green lol. How ironic. And yeah that's true. About that. Nerf wouldn't exist if players weren't allowed to customise.
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am

Glasses and goggles are still allowed. If your teeth were going to fall out from a felt tip dart, they were going to fall out anyway.

well they don't exist right now, hot glue tips kinda hurt my teeth on impact :/
    Roger Explosion
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Roger Explosion on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 am

would stuff like this be too sus to qualify

Obviously not mine, thats clearly Ice Nine, but I plan on making one.

Are you Furstrated?
    jacko1120

Post  jacko1120 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:56 am

My 2 cents...
    With regards top the felt tip stefans i believe it is a great idea. As i think little bro said though screw caps are just to cheap, to easy and to readily available. I could go down to Lincoln sentry right now and pick up 1'000 screw caps 30 dollar. Thats 1000 stefans for around 70-80 dollars. They do leave marks tough especially with 1/4 bb weights and hot glue. Great speech though AJ. Your definatly leading the way for nerf in australia.
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 am

Roger Explosion wrote:
    Obviously not mine, thats clearly Ice Nine, but I plan on making one.

I'm actually making one as we speak. Stopped so far though. Too busy with life.

What about if those face masks were spraypainted Orange or Fluro Green. Think about it lol.

P.S. I'm still going to wear my Helmet but I'll be wearing hardware glasses.
    Pois0n

Post  Pois0n on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:09 am

Oh wise one, you never cease to have great ideas. I say that stefans are getting a bit to much. We had to many welts a few weeks ago from singled titans.

I already have about 100 felt discs, so I'll save them for RoF. Having dark blasters outdoors is silly anyway. They're toys; Whats the point of making them look real?

Sure they may look cooler, but if that means that it gets confiscated and having a fine, then whats the point? I think bright colors make it vibrant and intimidating.

That must have taken a lot of thought and writing, so thank you for giving us the update and warning in so much detail.

Oh, and Roger, did you get a haircut? Lol.

- Jacob.
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 am

littlebro05 wrote:
    I'm actually making one as we speak. Stopped so far though. Too busy with life.

What about if those face masks were spraypainted Orange or Fluro Green. Think about it lol.

I too am planning on making one, researching epoxy casting for custom pistons, lack of money/time/PETG is stopping me from doing so.

splosionman

Post  splosionman on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

I would like to know how a hopper or rscb makes it look like a gun if its sprayed bright orange, that seems like overkill to me.
    Biggles

Post  Biggles on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:56 am

What's the definition of home mades have to be in a nerf shell? Does it have to be fully enclosed?

Biggles
    The Cheshire Ranger

Post  The Cheshire Ranger on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks Aj for the clarification and Winterstrike for the pictures. They have answered a few questions that I had been thinking about. Especially the paint scheme with the orange/bright barrel needs to be bright too means I need to be a little more creative. I like a challenge!

I really like the direction you are taking nerf Aj. You Have my support.
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:20 am

splosionman wrote:I would like to know how a hopper or rscb makes it look like a gun if its sprayed bright orange, that seems like overkill to me.

this is more chad's thing, he thinks it makes nerf look bad, as in visually un-appealing, to outsiders if we have all these weird PVC bits all over the place, not that it makes it look like real firearms.

I kind of agree - If we all start running around with HAMPs and those Bow n Arrows then a) it looks really wierd and b) none of them are sold as toys, therefore the 'it's just a toy, officer' excuse doesn't stand....

And yes biggles I'd say the internals should be about 90% inside the shell.

The other thing for me about RSCB's and Hoppers is they can really imbalance things, I like how it is at the moment where you either have high range and slow ROF weapons or low range high ROF weapons, along with a few guns that will sit in the middle - longshot, stampede etc, basically hopper-ing a Big blast or +bow takes away the weapon's major weakness, which I feel it needs to retain in order to be somewhat even on the field.

Aj

Biggles

Post  Biggles on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 am

[quote="-Aj]And yes biggles I'd say the internals should be about 90% inside the shell.
    Aj[/quote]

But what if someone makes a hamp because they're easy but lacks the skills to put it in a new shell.

Biggles

splosionman

Post  splosionman on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 am

In the end, it dosn't matter how an rscb looks, because the barrel will always stick out of some guns. The fact that an RSCB looks weird on a bigblast at least is debatable, especially a painted one.
    In terms of balance, thats different reasoning. FFP has clear limitations on guns, and an RSCB'd bigblast would not be allowed as per the rules, but for the epeen war (using ROF as an example) I can not see whats wrong with it, as this is the best gun you've got type of round, I'm sure people will be using all sorts of things. Limiting what blasters can be used (apart from the ridiculously powered ones) in these kinds of wars will only make people angry, as they can't use the blaster that they love or put heaps of effort into.
    The Cheshire Ranger

Post  The Cheshire Ranger on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 am

Quoted from Winterstrike:
    12) Longstrike - Come anywhere close to RoF with this and we'll smash it for you.

Is this because of it's realistic design or due to its paint job?
    The Cheshire Ranger

Post  The Cheshire Ranger on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Lol, I figured that. I'd paint mine in fruit salad yummy yummy colors if it would allow me to bring mine along. That is what I meant by my question. If I painted my Longstrike in bright colors to bring to RoF, would I be wasting my time?

Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Just as a follow up, did anyone actually look at the punk kid who had his gun confiscated and was told not to return for a while? Just take one look at him and if you were a cop, tell me you wouldn't stop him on sight.

Now I'm not going to make any assumptions on his personality but going out in public like that, and calling yourself "Che" with a funny hairdo is not going to win you points with the cops. As a minority who's had to deal with racism all my life, I can tell you that I intentionally try much harder to fit in, which means good english, good manners, no screwed up hair and no talking back to cops even if I think they're wrong. This guy probably failed on all counts there, so was it really a surprise they took his gun away?

Point is, do not dress or act(we assume) like this guy.
    Joey

Post  Joey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm

lol, not even *I* looked at the guy.

That aside I was under the impression that he complained to him which is why they issued him with a fine for having a toy.

And I gotta say, I can see how people would think it looks like a tazer

I mean to anyone who has seen a maverick and used it sure, but to someone who hasnt.

Guess that is a bit of a backfire with the whole 'yellow' color scheme.

Genericwizardguy

Post  Genericwizardguy on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:23 pm

I agree that this is an issue that we as a community have to overcome and you're proposals are the way to do it, but the fact will always remain as this, modded Nerf is illegal just not enforced, so if just one kid dicks up badly enough with a plugged 4B we're all in a state of legal limbo. Last Brissy war for instance we had some skater douches show up mess with us and inf0rm3r wanted to call the cops, I didn't really want him to incase they saw what we were messing with, especially the 4B's and thats not a good thing, we need to take Nerf to a point where cops don't even raise an eyebrow. Personally I think community building will add to this so the public is informed about Nerf too.

Personally, I think that homemades should be kept as show off guns, period. For wars they are extremely illegal, not even in the grey area and even in a shell, a cop will still get pretty suss.

And those felt tips sound good, but they really do need to maintain the kind of range and ease of making the screwcaps have; because us QLD guys use them for a reason.

As for the tac gear I totally agree, a holsters and a pouch is all you really need. And as much as littlebro05 likes his tac gear, it looks dumb at wars, and as us Brissy guys have remarked many times, he looks like a terrorist.

EDIT: How did the US community deal with this problem? In much the same way?

SuperTastyfish

Post  SuperTastyfish on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:58 pm

I think with the issue of tactical gear, arent we just making people think of nerfers as taticool douches? And sure, it looks cool, but you will get some old grandma having a heart attack over a helmet or mask. I think what we need to do is raise awareness that nerf is NOT milsim, it's a fun sport.
    Joey

Post  Joey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

When we say tac gear we mean the whole setup, because the vest is damn handy and lets face it NERF IS SELLING THEIR OWN VERSION, so it should at least be allowed.

That aside my scout inside my tac vest does look a lot like a tazer so I wont be wearing that part to any public war (will switch he gun holster out with another ammo pouch).

littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:58 am

Haha. I don't mind if I look like a douche wearing tactical gear. But I might just wear fluro clothes beneath it like Aj says. I don't care if it looks dumb. I find it very useful, especially for keeping everything I brought on me so a doodle face doesn't touch my property without asking. Let's face it, there will be someone who will do that and break something.

I don't even paint my guns lol, the whole thing is perception and the public's first impression is what the Nerfer is holding in their hand... a Nerf gun. I like my mask because it also doesn't fog up on me, unlike safety glasses, it gets REAL annoying.

Yeah Nerf IS selling their own version. I bet in about 1 years time they will sell the vests in digital camo since they already have Camo Ammo pouches already, where does this leave this? The vests supplied by Nerf are black and could look just as daunting to the public so there isn't much of an argument there.

Just quoting from a production description on Nerf N-Strike Vests...

Product Description:

Don't be caught off guard! Be ready, no matter where or when your opponent strikes, with this awesome Tactical Vest Kit. Built to carry four Quick-Reload Clips, 12 darts, blasters and swords, your vest isn't just an accessory -- it's a line of defense! This kit comes with two clear clips and 12 Clip System darts, so you've already got ammo on-hand. Add other elements from your N-STRIKE arsenal and you're ready to take on anyone!

Vest kit includes 2 clear clips and 12 Clip System darts. (Blasters, swords, additional clips and darts sold separately.)

I'm still going to wear the helmet, but in our more 'public wars' I won't use the mask. I'm still thinking about the Kelvin Grove war though. Although, give it time and Nerf will release their own tactical helmet.

Also, regarding the screw caps. Yes, they're convenient and yes, they sting a little on impact... yes. But however felt tip darts with say a metal BB weighting is just as dangerous. especially the fact that when it lands on impact some times, the bb will fly to the side and go through cardboard... This has happened a few times when I was shooting my 4B in a box. It would go through the box but the BB flew through the side of the dart so there was effectively two holes.
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:19 am

Research Felt and washer stefans - there is no BB involved, it is impossible for the weight to pass through the felt.

Aj

Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:32 am

Winterstrike wrote:
    At least he was wearing fluro so you could see he was a (alleged) douche from a distance.

I'm cool with all of this. Just to be clear, the darts that AJ's talking about are something like;

circle of craft foam,
    glue,
    steel washer,
    glue then
    FBR. Right?

Tidge & I made a HUGE batch once with BRIGHT craft foam tips. They're all gone now though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 am