If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)
Custom Search

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1917 registered users

The newest registered user is ShaGGz LMS

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

State of Play - August 2010

chinnerz

Re: State of Play - August 2010

Post  chinnerz on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:53 am

Chaos-Blades wrote:
    circle of craft foam,
    glue,
    steel washer,
    glue then
    FBR. Right?

Wow they actually sound really good! not i am really considering making the switch (if the are cheap enough)
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:14 am

My only problem with switching to foam-tipped darts is that I have damn near 700 regular hot glue-tipped stefans in my bucket!

I think we can still weight the darts with bb's (splitshots). When Tidge & I made a bunch of foam-tipped darts (years ago) we didn't have any problems with the weights coming out or anything.
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 am

Yeah I know tony, hence why we've set 2011 as the aim, if you stop making more the 700 will probably be gone in 4 months time..

Rather than using craft foam the felt ones use these adhesive backed felt pads, and yeah it goes felt pad/glue/washer/glue/stefan, and people have found other glues work better than hot glue.

Link to felt pads on McMaster

Aj

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Bow to me for I am your new god mod

Roger Explosion wrote:you won't even get close to hitting the broardside of Aj's ego using stock streamlines
    Joey

Post  Joey on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Slydev nerf parts and accessories store
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Umm... Aj you don't understand what I'm talking about when I say the BB exiting the stefan. I mean when it impacts... the BB rips through the side of the foam which has enough power to crack glass (according to inf0rm3r).
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:32 pm

yeah i do mate, we've had it happen here too....

hence why in this design THERE IS NO BB

get it?

Aj

Roger Explosion wrote:you won't even get close to hitting the broardside of Aj's ego using stock streamlines
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 pm

These rules should really be common sense.

So it shouldn't be to hard.

The only extra I can add is if your going to order that many felt pads, why not make the best aerodynamic silicone tip available instead? I've had the idea and factory to do it for ages I just don't have the spare $2,500 laying around to do it.

We could create a density slightly harder than streamlines and you have a perfect weight. Felt washers look slightly naughty with some methods used.

Tactical gear I can see working if you buy the bright coloured stuff. I've actually recalled seeing some bright coloured pouches done in bright camo online. As long as it's not black or camo but instead rapes your eyes like the sun it's fine.

I got screw caps to eliminate the majority of use of metal in weights up here and it appears to be working well. Throw a piece of felt on the front of that your fine.
    Biggles

Post  Biggles on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 am

-Aj- wrote:So you need to think about that - paint your +bow bright goddam yellow or something. [Aj

I think that's the best option when talking about home mades.

Biggles
    TheKhakinator

Post  TheKhakinator on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:29 am

I would say to that post of a homemade PVC gun with black/yellow warning tape around it - the tape just makes it look EVEN MORE like a bomb.
    TheKhakinator

Post  TheKhakinator on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:01 am

phuonguyen wrote:
    Paint it fluro, surely there's nothing dangerous that's fluro. So there's no way of it being mistaken for anything remotely dangerous.
    I'm so pissed Tasers are yellow.

Like there are a million things I don't like about Tasers (mostly how they're used, in a perfect world they're great.) but this isn't the place for a political argument.

Myrmidont

Post  Myrmidont on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:21 pm

As someone who actually knows the Che guy, I can say he's pretty confrontational towards anyone in an official position. That may or may not have had something to do with the confiscation of his Maverick.

It's important to note that a few areas around Brisbane that you'd think would be great for nerfing - South Bank Parklands and Roma Street Parklands in particular - are actually managed by private corporations, and thus they do have the ability to dictate what is and isn't allowed to happen there, despite seeming like public places.

South Bank is pretty nerf-hostile (I guess because they get more tourists), while my group had some difficulty with one particular guard at Roma street initially but as long as you're looking like you're having fun, not mil-siming, Roma St Parklands is an okay option for a smallish group.

Hell, I was nerfing at Roma St today and we didn't get any trouble despite a couple of black blasters and a little bit of camo, but I suppose that's because we were mixed in with a group of 12-15 or so people including younger kids while we were running around.
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 am

inf0rm3r wrote:Felt washers look slightly naughty with some methods used.
    You mean like this??

Just to clarify, If I start making darts with the felt tips but weight them with BB's will that be ok? Or are we looking to move completely away from weights that are embedded in the foam itself? Because the only problem will be the tips smashing, which is solved by the felt-tips.

Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 am

I'm sure that would be ok. Longer range guns like titans and 4B's need the heavier weights, but we're going to have to mark those as heavies. I'd probably restrict those to tournament style games only and would probably make it 16 years and up.
    SuperTastyfish

Post  SuperTastyfish on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm sort of confused. why can't we just do what they do in America... I just prefer normal hotglue to slugs... Why don't we have on the nerf war page ammo for this day- slugs or hotglue so people know what to expect. America have phased out sling shot weights but fishing weights are lighter.

End random rant
    Grendal

Post  Grendal on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 am

If we all get the clear Nerfs that will solve the problem. Won't look like a real gun or a Taser!

splosionman

Post  splosionman on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:25 am

Fish has a point there, slingshot weighted darts will go further than fishing weights.
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:40 am

I use 00 split shot sinkers and I think they should be the heavier they get. Or if you're making longer darts I use 8Gx20mm Counter sunk screws. Funnily enough they weight as much as a sinker.
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:39 pm

I've tried screws also, they give less range, the weight is too far spread out, it needs to be front heavy

00splitshot is not enough for high powered weapons, but we cant let the heavier darts be used regularly at wars, I'd be more inclined to use them only in things like FFP for the sharpshooter class

Aj

littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm

-Aj- wrote:I've tried screws also, they give less range, the weight is too far spread out, it needs to be front heavy

00splitshot is not enough for high powered weapons, but we cant let the heavier darts be used regularly at wars, I'd be more inclined to use them only in things like FFP for the sharpshooter class

Aj

Umm I use screws in 2.3inch darts not 1 inch darts.

00split shot sinkers are enough in my darts. They work fine. Remember you and me use different foam so we get different results. You can theorise all you want but can't win against results.
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm going to talk with southbank corporation and police to try and have a stock looking war (all guns must look stock) early next year... This is what we should be trying to do, working with local government so the public don't have a spazz, and one day people won't look twice at someone with a nerf gun because they would have seen it before. We need the public to be aware of nerf as a sport. We need to advertise.
    Joey

Post  Joey on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 pm

killerbunny wrote:I'm going to talk with southbank corporation and police to try and have a stock looking war (all guns must look stock) early next year... This is what we should be trying to do, working with local government so the public don't have a spazz, and one day people won't look twice at someone with a nerf gun because they would have seen it before. We need the public to be aware of nerf as a sport. We need to advertise.

I think it is best to avoid south bank all together. That aside I will be very very surprised if they say yes.

killerbunny

Post  killerbunny on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:09 am

Joey wrote:
    killerbunny wrote:I'm going to talk with southbank corporation and police to try and have a stock looking war (all guns must look stock) early next year... This is what we should be trying to do, working with local government so the public don't have a spazz, and one day people won't look twice at someone with a nerf gun because they would have seen it before. We need the public to be aware of nerf as a sport. We need to advertise.

I think it is best to avoid south bank all together. That aside I will be very very surprised if they say yes.

I think it will be worth the try, we got nothing to lose.

I like the idea of felt tips because I hear screw caps don't work with the drums.
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am

littlebro05 wrote:
    -Aj- wrote:I've tried screws also, they give less range, the weight is too far spread out, it needs to be front heavy

Aj

Umm I use screws in 2.3inch darts not 1 inch darts.

00split shot sinkers are enough in my darts. They work fine. Remember you and me use different foam so we get different results. You can theorise all you want but can't win against results.

Surely you've realised by now I'm not a theory guy, I'm a results guy, and the screws, in both 40mm, and 65-70mm darts travel 5-10ft less than other weights.

Also, we use the same foam, dipshit. I use all the foams, blue, white and darts made from converted stock darts.

the weight needs to be up front, not spread out, and seriously dont talk about results, you guys shoot screw caps out of petg barrels thats a shitload of drag right there

The reason we wish to switch to slugs is they hurt less on impact, leave less marks etc, something we need to be cautious of, the felt pad is the main advantage, however the washer is good because it makes ure the weight is centred and cannot pass through the felt pad, though I doubt a 00 would either, the only time the fly out of hot glue tips is when they are cracked.

Slugs made with blue foam would probably not work either, then need all the surface area they can get to form a good bond, and having the air delivered straight down the dart to the tip would probably just blow the caps off in a lot of cases, a problem with blue foam darts in general when using high powered weapons.

Aj

littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

Wow. Calling me the dipshit? That's pretty arrogant and ignorant of you Aj. And you're trying to enforce the "State of Play". With that attitude, you're going to fail.

Eh my results indicate it. But none of us has video evidence so we both talk bullshit :).
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Is it too hard to suggest for the standardisation of homemade dart lengths to be up to no less than a stock streamline?

HELL YEAH ULTIMATE STREET CRED YO!

Give back to your fellow member and buy his wares. All profits stay in Australia, tune up my VR SS V8, and more.
    In case you're curious about my WTB requests or my Triple Shot products.

Don't worry, I've compiled a list so far of us VIC crew here, yo.

Also, can you people start putting titles in PMs? I can't be bothered trying to figure out what the subject and context is within a PM.

Now a proud owner of a Holden VR Commodore SS V8 with a stage 2 shifter, VVVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!
    Joey

Post  Joey on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Silent Scope wrote:Is it too hard to suggest for the standardisation of homemade dart lengths to be up to no less than a stock streamline?

the streamlines are pretty long, 1cm shorter seems to be the sweet spot, easier to fit in mavericks, etc.

Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 pm

On the contrary, my practice of modding my clip-system blasters allows the extended flexibility of being able to use stock streamlines as well as other people's darts whilst blaster with conventional breech setups cannot utilise stock lengths (I keep to the same foam lengths and similar width tolerances as stock darts).

My proposal doesn't have to be implemented; only it gives me an advantage if anything else.

HELL YEAH ULTIMATE STREET CRED YO!

Give back to your fellow member and buy his wares. All profits stay in Australia, tune up my VR SS V8, and more.
    In case you're curious about my WTB requests or my Triple Shot products.

Don't worry, I've compiled a list so far of us VIC crew here, yo.

Also, can you people start putting titles in PMs? I can't be bothered trying to figure out what the subject and context is within a PM.

Now a proud owner of a Holden VR Commodore SS V8 with a stage 2 shifter, VVVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 am