Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+43
thenerfninja
Unknown
mister_elliott
Synergie
BlitzkriegNerfTeam
WV17
thatwestykid
clunk07
Akimbo Assassin
Xoenz
Nerfblackop
PhantomSambo
whichgrep
Saintznerf
Warstream96
Biggles
f 14tomcat4
SuctionCup
TheKhakinator
Joey
Khail
gooni
Trigga_happy
Servulus
killerbunny
Myrmidont
Chaos-Blades
radiantraidercs-35
Psykka
nerffirefight24
TheNed
SnowDragon
Neodore
Switchblade
crumpetstastenice
bulletproofvest
KingCam
Door_Beatle
Roger Explosion
Winterstrike
The Cheshire Ranger
littlebro05
47 posters

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars?

Synergie
    Synergie

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? - Page 4 Empty Re: Eye Protection At Nerf Wars?

Post  Synergie Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Unknown wrote:Don't play HvZ with singled titans.

But seriously, there isn't much else we can do, unless they have a Super1337 standard of glasses.

Sili tips would solve though, perhaps all states should move towards dart hire wars?

That was with cut-down heavy silicone tips used for dart hire. It's not just about HvZ either, I'm talking about Nerf wars in general.

Post  238232 Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Not surprised at the damage. When hit with something at the top end of its rating, lots of protective gear is meant to sacrifice itself to protect you rather than have everything bounce off. Apparently you've hit that top end. Even true with body armour that has ceramic plates, they're meant to break and thus absorb the KE of the impact.

As for Nerf, I think this is a good example of something that's beyond the upper limit in a war. As for improving protection, I have some thoughts, but they're all more expensive. Polycarb faceshields or everyone getting good goggles like these ones would be good, but may be cost prohibitive in comparison to regular protective eyewear.

Out of curiosity, got any pics?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Honestly, what did you expect to happen? They are preventive protective equipment, not bullet-proof. My Titan punches holes through doors... I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the cheap safety glasses you guys are wearing probably aren't the best designed for Nerfing with OP blaster's. Most of them are only designed to stop low-velocity particles, like grinding dust etc.

I've just tested 3 pairs of medium impact clear safety glasses, with very conclusive results. Each lens took 2 hits each from my Titan at a 2 foot and 5 foot range. All 3 pairs of glasses ended up with a decent scuff mark from each dart, but no chipping, cracking or shattering.

Some more details about your particular glasses may help though:

What impact rating?

If they're not medium impact or better, then really you're living with a false sense of security.

Where they a reputable brand, or just some cheap crap mass produced?

How old are the glasses?

Have they been exposed to excessive UV light, sunscreen, hydrocarbons etc?

After reading your last post in regards to using sili-tips, all I can conclude is that the particular glasses you're using are of very poor quality. I mean, extremely poor quality....

Cheers,
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:11 pm

clunk07 wrote:Honestly, what did you expect to happen? They are preventive protective equipment, not bullet-proof. My Titan punches holes through doors... I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the cheap safety glasses you guys are wearing probably aren't the best designed for Nerfing with OP blaster's. Most of them are only designed to stop low-velocity particles, like grinding dust etc.

I've just tested 3 pairs of medium impact clear safety glasses, with very conclusive results. Each lens took 2 hits each from my Titan at a 2 foot and 5 foot range. All 3 pairs of glasses ended up with a decent scuff mark from each dart, but no chipping, cracking or shattering.

Some more details about your particular glasses may help though:

What impact rating?

If they're not medium impact or better, then really you're living with a false sense of security.

Where they a reputable brand, or just some cheap crap mass produced?

How old are the glasses?

Have they been exposed to excessive UV light, sunscreen, hydrocarbons etc?

After reading your last post in regards to using sili-tips, all I can conclude is that the particular glasses you're using are of very poor quality. I mean, extremely poor quality....

Cheers,

You and I have been down this road before.

The glasses I use are AS1337 standard for medium impact, my father works in many industrial situations including mine shafts where proper eyewear is required, as a result he is able to get brand new, brand name safety glasses from work. With this in mind, I would have to assume these would be up to your standards for what is quality eye protection. I would kindly ask you dont make assumptions but what I do and do not have, I welcome your constructive criticism but not your false assumptions.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:29 pm

I wasn't giving any constructive criticism, just trying to answer a question that you asked. I've just spent nearly an hour conducting tests on Safety glasses, to help you out.

I never assumed anything, just made a conclusion from my results, using 3 different brands of safety glasses. One pair brand new, the other about 4 months old, and the last about 12 months old. No significant damage to any of the pairs I tested (using weighted snap cap stingers with a plugged titan vs non-plugged titan with sili-tips). What else would you conclude from these results, except that maybe the glasses were damaged, or low-quality?

I've worked in heavy industry for 15 years, and never had even a first-aid injury. I'm trying to share my knowledge to prevent people being injured, and I cop flak from you in return. If you were honestly looking for some more information, you could've asked what brands I had tested...

Medium impact glasses are designed to withstand flying metal objects at higher velocity, yet the ones you've tested shattered from a soft silicon tip.

At no point did I flame you. Either the glasses were previously weakened, or the quality is poor.

I highlighted some good points for you to trouble-shoot, and instead of taking it on-board, you go on the defensive...

I'm sure alot of people weren't even aware that sunscreen can greatly weaken most protective spec's.

TBH, I'm at the point where I really CBF trying to help people out anymore.

-Clunk.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:42 pm

What is it about the sunscreen that weakens the glasses?

I've been using sunscreen with my glasses...
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Not all sunscreen, but certain brands that use the insect repellant in with the sunscreen.

Something in the mix actually turns the plastic brittle.

Cheers,
    thenerfninja
    thenerfninja

Post  thenerfninja Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 pm

sometimes i wear a modern warfare 2 loadout to look like ghost (without the skull) just a normal balaclava with some tinted hardware goggles.Nerf darts would stick to my head sometimes
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:31 pm

On the topic of good goggles for 4eyed people.
    I have been using the goggles in this vid for ages.

Here is why.

nuff said.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 pm

clunk07 wrote:Not all sunscreen, but certain brands that use the insect repellant in with the sunscreen.

Something in the mix actually turns the plastic brittle.

Cheers,
    Ummm...
    Please let me add some information on this.

The active compound in most insect repellents can soften and melt certain plastics.
    I was told that during my years, as a former young chap in the Army cadets.
    Starts with a D or something...

There,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET
    "DEET is an effective solvent, and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, and painted or varnished surfaces including nailpolish."

So that's why, some folks get their clothing and gear buggered after applying some insect repellent, due to it being made from synthetic fibers...

While the compound is there, the plastic is going to soften, however, once it evaporates or incorporates inself into the plastic, the molecular structure of the plastic has been altered, and may not have the same impact resistance.

Dammit. Nearly everytime I have to type out the word "insect", it tends to end up being spelt "incest".
    unsane_chimera
    unsane_chimera

Post  unsane_chimera Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:06 am

TL:DR sorry if this has been covered but not updated.

Gas mask, $29.85US, Airsoft rated at 500FPS. Should be added to the list.

ebairsoft.com

Comes in black, green and tan colours.

Check it peeps! I'm ordering one as this is being written.

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? - Page 4 CM%20toxic%20mask%20style%20airsoft%20Mask%20BK%20a

That is all.
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Just recently noticed this topic and thought that i may be able to impart some of my knowledge from a professional standpoint.

For some background:
    I have previously worked as a 'Optical Dispenser' for some time (no longer working due to health concerns). If you don't know what an Optical Dispenser is, they are the person that usually talks to you after you see the optometrist about the fit of the glasses you have the prescription for.
    What a lot of people don't know is that they usually make your glasses by cutting the prescription lens to fit in the frame you chose, although it sounds simple believe me the mathematics involved with ensuring a correct fit is insane.

Now I worked for a family business which did almost all the work in-house. I designed and sold custom sunglasses that looked similar to the ones Mophius wore in the matrix (but better, lol) among other custom designs entirely hand-made, and have worked with all lens materials.

Now to the interesting stuff:
    Glass is bad. Hardened or Toughened glass is still bad, the chemical 'toughening' is only for scratch protection. and will in fact break into sharper pieces than standard glass.

When looking for eye-wear that is good for impact protection the thing to look for is 'Polycarbonate', Polycarb or PC.
    Generally most 'plastic' sunglass lenses are polycarb but are not particularly rated for impact protection.

Optical polycarb on the other hand is interesting (optical = prescription). It is VERY strong, I actually got my boss to take an old polycarb lens to the shooting range and fire a shotgun and 20ft, sorry i never got a pic, but the lens CAUGHT almost every pellet. I was very impressed.

Be careful with standard optical plastic lenses made from a resin called CR39. It is tougher than glass but will still shatter badly.

My favorite protective eyewear (apart from BSA) is my Bolle safety glasses, they look like awesome sunnies but have great protection. My snowboarding goggles are also very tough considering they have two layers of optical polycarb as the lens.

Just some info you might find helpful but the original post sums it up pretty well. If you are not sure if the eyewear is impact-resistant best to err on the side of caution.
    whichgrep

Post  whichgrep Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:38 pm

unsane_chimera wrote:
    Gas mask, $29.85US, Airsoft rated at 500FPS. Should be added to the list.

Looks like crap and scares the public.

Check it peeps! I'm ordering one as this is being written.

Better not show up at any Melbourne wars with it.

That is all.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeh, thought I'd just re-iterate my previous posts of people that war on a regular basis going out and spending less than $20 on a pair of medium-impact safety eyewear. Honestly, I'd prefer to see people wearing airsoft/paintball masks, but I can understand the downside of cost and user comfort.

Oh, and this is why I put so much faith in my Oakley's at work - old advertisement, but still relevant in my opinion

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? - Page 4 42145110

Cheers,
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Yes Oakleys do use good quality lenses, but FWIW they also use the most cheapest crap for their frame materials, Oakley are the only glasses that I have not been able to repair due to sub-standard frame plastic.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:14 pm

That's rather interesting to know. I think my pair of half-jackets would be 6 years old, and I'm on my third set of lenses, while my flak-jackets are nearly 3 years old, and still original lenses.

I remember back in the 90's that the frogskin frames would normally break after 12 months

Cheers,
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Well i have been out of the whole industry for a few years now maybe they use better stuff now.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Nah mate, it definitely sounds like you know your stuff. Maybe I've just been lucky, and I do tend to take good care of my eyewear.

Cheers,
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 pm

I like the mask I have. Army of two style with mesh over the eyes so there's no need to worry about bits of glass or plastic break g off and going into your eye.

It's for sale now because I don't get to use it much.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm