Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+13
killerbunny
melbourneSTORM4eva
Neodore
Atlas8817
TheDoubleBracket
-Aj-
Psykka
littlebro05
SnowDragon
O.W.L
Winterstrike
KingCam
Chaos-Blades
17 posters

Concerns & advice to improve the game

Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Concerns & advice to improve the game Empty Concerns & advice to improve the game

Post  Chaos-Blades Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 am

Firstly, I just want to say that I'm not blaming anyone, and I won't be naming or shaming people either, I'm just voicing my concerns.

I have a few concerns after saturday's "practice" in Adelaide. These apply to all nerfers in Aus.

I'm seriously considering buying a paintball or airsoft mask, to wear whislt nerfing, for my own personal safety. Why?

It's mainly stems from the fact that I was Hit in the face 3 times in one day (by a big blast, Titan and longshot) and it also comes from a 'heavy' dart that was fired from a titan that struck me in the leg.

All I can say is that I'm glad that I wasn't hit in the face with that particular heavy. I now have a paintball-sized bruise, with lots of purple. It looks nice on a leg, it was a decent shot but I'm glad it wasn't the face.

I'll put 2 of the 3 headshots down to inexperience. The other headshot was just incidental, my own fault really.(I wasn't the one being shot at ,lol at that one)

One of the people invlolved was a friend of a regular nerfer and had not attended a war before, the other was a regular nerfer that has been to many nerf wars. Both people involved are younger guys, younger than 18.

I can forgive the new guy completely, he had not attended a war before and he was using a high powered gun that he was NOT used to.

The regular Nerfer however, was using his own titan and shot me in the top of the forehead, close to the hairline, from a long way off. He claimed afterwards that he was aiming at my chest. I believe that he was telling the truth.
    I'm putting this one down to inexperience though, whether he realises it or not, I watched him shooting afterwards and he tilted his gun upwards, a technique that most of us use to squeeze out maximum range from our blasters.
    I do forgive him too.

I've seen it many, many times before. A person is not used to the power his/her gun, usually a titan/big blast, and they shoot someone in the neck/head. People get upset.
    As of today, there has not been any serious injury due to darts hitting people in the face OR the over-reaction of the person struck in the face/head. That I've experienced, this doesn't mean that it won't happen.

I've had a serious think about it and,
    This is what I'd like to see;

1. The continuation of the age restriction on heavy darts (size 0 split-shot weights, 1/4 inch slingshot ammo etc) at ANY nerfing event.

2. Direct headshots NOT to be counted as legitimate hits at any nerf war.
    Possibly even penalties for direct headshots could come into effect, e.g. penalised 1 life for every infringement.

I don't have any problem with lobbing headshots though.
    For example, a person fires a maverick (or anything that's shorter range) upwards in an arc & the dart lands lightly on top of an oposing players noggin'.

It's the direct headshots that are dangerous.

Basicly, I'm saying that I'm concerned for my safety and the safety of others.
    No-one needs a broken nose or teeth.
    Especially teeth, those things are FKN expensive to get fixed.

Here are My final points;
    -If you deliberately aim for someone's face, you are a jerk or you have a deathwish.

-If you don't wear Proper safety goggles, You are either crazy, can afford a new bionic eye or are just plain stupid.
    -Learn how to shoot, fire a hundred darts from your gun, it'll make you a better nerfer
    -If you don't think your gun can handle firing 100 darts, you've got a goblin and you failed with that particular mod.
    -If you're worried that your gun won't fire 10 darts without breaking, you fail at nerf or you need to take out that rediculously strong spring
    -make your own stefans & DON'T use any that aren't yours, or that you aren't used to, you don't know what they are weighted with.
    -Aim at the belly, that's the centre of body mass & easier to hit
    (I'm expecting someone to quote that one after someone says a smart-ass comment)

I'm not trying to have a whinge, I like getting shot. It's fun, a little pain makes you feel alive. I don't like being shot it the face. That's NOT fun, If you like it you need therapy, seriously.

I'd like to get multiple opinions in regards to feedback, I'm sure they'll be a few people that'll be like "toughen up princess" and a few younger guys who will say "I don't like that you don't want me to use my awsome titan with heavy darts that go a ga-zillion feet". But that's all fine.

This is an opinions and help-based forum. (Yes, I am talking about Oznerf )

-Tony (also I like using smilies for dramatic effect)

Last edited by Chaos-Blades on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    KingCam
    KingCam

Concerns & advice to improve the game Empty Re: Concerns & advice to improve the game

Post  KingCam Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am

I do agree with you Chaos-Blades.
    I think we need to set a rule on how far away some has to be before they can shot someone with say a single titan.
    Winterstrike

Concerns & advice to improve the game Empty Re: Concerns & advice to improve the game

Post  Winterstrike Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am

I have had long thoughts about this too, and most ofthis should all go away when I strictly reinforce age restrictions. There's about 7 people in all of Australia I'd trust to use a titan/4B with heavies in FFP but even then, accidents are bound to happen. A lot of people are bringing sharpie weapons to FFP as it's "All they have" but that practice is going to stop right now. Bring backup guns that work and stop relying on high powered guns.

That being said though, I don't think penalising headshots is fair, and it's very hard to tell if they're intentional or not. Feel free to wear a mask for protective reasons and since we're more than likely going to be getting our own place at RoF, it'll be even more acceptable to wear a mask on tournament day.

I really, really pity you Tony, you've turned into our punching bag recently and I'm going to do all I can to make sure that stops.

@Kingcam, your laziness rears it ugly head once again. Read the FFP rules before you say anything like that.
    O.W.L
    O.W.L

Post  O.W.L Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:44 am

I agree with this although I am ultimate n00b for only going to 3 or 4 wars I have been hit with a heavy in the lip from a good distance and it hurt like a '00' weighted stefan from a titan up close. Fatish lip for a couple of days ain't fun.
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's the mods that are the problem. As in, modifications. When you modify a gun that can break teeth with a foam goddamned dart, you're doing it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy killing small animals with a singled BBBB at 200+ feet as much as the next man (The only conviecable use for such a weapon) But entertainment is it's ONLY purpose. You bring that kind of crap into a public place and start firing it at people, they're gonna be pissed.

Weighted darts are the second thing. Not only are you firing darts out of a weapon that can do real damage to a person, but now you're putting weight and thus real force behind them.

For those who TL;DR:

1: Weighted darts are retarded and should be banned from ALL events. (For those who winge about your guns needing them, it's obiouvsly far to powerful to be safe in the first place)
    2: Weapons capable of firing ranges in excess of 200 feet should be banned from use in wars all together, regardless of age. You can't aim at that distance and someone is going to take one in the face.

Singled weapons are all the rage, but people seem to have forgotten that while we like being able to feel we've been hit, fearing that we're going to lose teeth or some crap like that during a game just isn't cool.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:09 pm

as a heads up, this is Mark using Chad's login.

This is something I have been close to getting for the longest time.

It doesn't get in the way of goggles, they are cheap (US $15-ish). Being hit in the face with air powered stefans isn't fun, and while it may make you look like a douche, I'll happily stick to looking like a douche for the few hours we Nerf, and not having to explain how I chipped a tooth at work.

...this however is just too far IMO

Concerns & advice to improve the game 3229517632_b3891c2da9_o

Last edited by Winterstrike on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:15 pm

From the hardware, you can get these things called tradesmans masks that are a helmet with a shield, similar to a welding mask. These would be less scary then a airsoft thingy, and less restricting. I was considering buying one, but wasn't sure if I needed one. Perhaps we could use those?

EDIT: Heavies are banned in America, why not here? But keep singled titans. In America people are retarded. (not in general, just some).
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 pm

I wouldn't trust anyone with a plugged BBBB. Not even you Winterstrike. You talk as if it is a 'privilege', when in reality plugged guns should just be banned all together. From previous conversations on chatbox you say you pumped your gun up to 16 times? The OPV valve kicks in about 8 pumps. Do you have any idea how strong that is. I'd assume you already know. You can deny it I don't care.

Singled Titans and Big Blasts are fine just as long as you don't shoot them from point blank.

At wars where it is semi-public (like the one I'm being hold now) BBBBs and Titans should be banned.

I have taken a BBBB to the joint of my finger AND my arm. Got shot in the face about three times (w/o my mask) and they do sting. However, in Brisbane we use 'lighter' darts which luckily don't fishtail in a lot of guns except for the high air powered ones.

I do agree that if you are going to where face protection I think the 'lenses' of the mask should at least be CLEAR because those 'mesh' goggles do look extremely daunting.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Where would we order those from? And how much are they?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Psykka wrote:Where would we order those from? And how much are they?

They're $10 each on Ebay. Just make sure you air it out after you spray paint it so you don't get owned by the fumes LOL.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Honestly.

Ban heavies.

Slingshots are ok, they are borderline, even they have been banned in the states at wars, but this shit that is happening with size 1 weights is just ridiculous.

Chad, really they only exist because you fight so hard for them.

Are we really going to be able to convince any member of the police or public that what we're doing is safe or "we're just playing with toys" if we need protective face mask? Like seriously?

Nerf has pretty much always had a max range of around 110-120 feet, and that stuff is getting really borderline, there is no need for weapons to go 150-200 in a nerf war, and furthermore that makes our guns MORE dangerous than paintball or airsoft, because people still run around and play the game like we're shooting recons and use inadequate protective gear.

In the states most rape guns are allowed because they have standardised darts which limit range, it is night impossible to push slugs past 110-120 even out of +bows.

Also titans have NO need to be plugged when singled, nor do 4B's, my unplugged 4b's can hit 100 easily, they are banned in the states and should be banned here.

Age restrictions dont work either, as you get noob 18+ year olds, or just idiots, in reality you should not be able to use weights over a slingshot in a nerf war, and no pump plugged 4b's or singled titans (plugging when shooting rockets makes sense)

Sure if you want to organise (and I know you will) some war where you shoot heavies and used plugged 4b's then sure, but it cannot be made public, cannot be associated with any of the other nerf stuff, as it could potentially bring bad press to all of this.

Aj

EDIT: I just looked on NH, here's a great quote VACC just posted which hopefully should make clear why our practices need to be re-assessed

Second, I don't care what you do or do not consider safe. I have a thousand 13 year old kids reading this site, so I'm not in the habbit of encouraging the use of anything built for a purpose other than shooting safely at 13 year old kids.

That's it, no discussion.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:46 pm

After a long, long, long discussion, where I fought hard, we're going to try to experiment with heavy darts once more, but this time with soft, collapsible tips like those of a streamline. These might not work as well as normal heavy darts but I'm going to try anyway and I hope I can do it cheaply. Funny how all this got started up from a post where Tony gets shot with regular 00's.

I'm also going to give facemasks alot of consideration and the video that mark posted under my name is a good idea of what to get. Painted pink or white or yellow, these should pose bo problems to passers-by in terms of intimidation. With goggles and a facemask, you really are just knee pads and elbow pads away from looking like a BMX racer, which are a common enough sight for anyone to take in. I do not believe it will be a hard task to convince the police that what we're doing is safe, after all it's just protective gear and some of us won't be wearing it anyway. Now this is not a requirement, or even a suggestion. You don't need to wear these and there's no need to for many of us, but from now, we're certainly not going to give you grief should you choose to wear one. Nerf is still plenty safe, as these are NOT a requirement. I'm living proof as I personally won't be using a facemask, in the line of fire of heavies.

A few posts here don't even sound like suggestions at all. In fact, they sound very definitive and arrogant, in such a way as to make one think that they're right and we're wrong. It's a terrible attitude to have and it's a huge obstacle to the growth of this community. Don't get on your high horse and claim that because you advocate safety that to contradict you means we must be the devil since we're condoning danger. I understand this to be a hot topic, but by no means is anyone an authority on this issue. There are no absolutes in life. A lot of players don't post on here and I know they'd have many things to say in meatspace rather than here about heavy darts. Just because they're not on here voicing their opinions doesn't make them any less valid. If anything theirs are more so since they have practical experience rather than just theoretical.

There is a lot, and by a lot, I mean a shitload of fear of the unknown going on here and it's all because the Americans don't do it, that a lot of us are so hesitant. People are calling for bans without really understanding what it is they're banning and why, it's just that they're afraid. No, plugged guns will not explode in your face. It would take a mechanical pump to achieve those pressures. No, I don't pump anything 16 times when it takes 8 and I'm not a goblin(where do you pull these numbers out of?). No, heavy darts will not hurt that much more since only a select (trusted and responsible) few are going to be firing from a minimum range of 50 feet anyway.

You should be asking why these heavy dart are so necessary anyway, why make such a big fuss and why shouldn't we just cave in and do what a vocal few say? A lot of you don't attend nerf wars regularly. Many on here haven't even been to one at all. I've been and organised about fifty, most with people from this website, some with just friends and family. When you do this as often as I do, it can get boring. It can get very boring. So boring that you quit altogether or you "grow out" of it. Singapore has a huge issue with this, with people constantly coming and leaving. I could be wrong here, but I suspect that it's to do with the ultra child safe nature of nerf they have there, as well as the fact that it's all a casual affair, with no real sporty feel to it.

I feel strongly that FFP, with heavy darts being an essential part of it, is a sport that you don't simply grow out of and will stem the tide of boredom. FFP isn't just some random thing you do. You have to train and prepare for it, just like you would for footy, rugby or cricket. Nerf sports can become a weekly game that you constantly play. Taking long range guns out of it guts FFP entirely and turns it into CTF/deathmatch with a different coat of paint, it may look a bit different, but it's the same thing. People stop dancing and standing there like statues when the perceived threat of a long range gun exists. The game is far more dynamic, with more movement and more rushing, as you want to charge towards sharpshooters to get within their minimum range. No large clusters of people standing around waiting for something to happen. The sharpshooter is THE reason people break off and start running, because multiple people standing together packed tight is just too easy a target.

FFP and heavy darts are a lot more than what people are used to. Let's face it though, most people have lousy imaginations and need to experience it first before they can make an informed decision. Don't knock it til you've tried it and even after you try it, you still hate it, nobody's forcing you to play. Of course there's pain involved, just like any other contact sport, but I feel that it's this tiny element that brings true excitement to FFP, as that is one of the key aspects to making it a real sport.

This is Tony's post first and foremost and here's my proposed changes to upcoming events.

1) I am going to strictly, and by that I mean tyranically enforce the use of 4B's, Titans etc. to those who are trusted to use those only. Whether or not it's a regular nerf war or RoF, I will be making a short list of who can or cannot use these guns with heavy darts. The list is very short right now, and most people on that list are probably not going to use them anyway, as it's just not their thing. It's not just an age restriction of 18+, it's also a maturity and experience standard.

2) I still think that headshots should count, as it's very hard to distinguish sometimes between a lobbing headshot or one that just naturally flies towards a head. Discounting hits also makes refereeing a nightmare. If we're going down the path of less painful darts with soft tips OR we start using facemasks, then this really isn't going to be a problem anyway.

Last edited by Winterstrike on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:02 am

Out of curiosity have you ever thought of just making the darts shorter? You probably have but I'm talking 3/4" short.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 am

Cheers for that Chad,
    Winterstrike wrote:I'm also going to give facemasks alot of consideration and the video that mark posted under my name is a good idea of what to get. Painted pink or white or yellow, these should pose no problems to passers-by in terms of intimidation.
    That's the kind of thing I was thinking about. I think I will buy one similar to that.

Winterstrike wrote:This is Tony's post first and foremost and here's my proposed changes to upcoming events.
    1) I am going to strictly, and by that I mean tyranically enforce the use of 4B's, Titans etc. to those who are trusted to use those only. Whether or not it's a regular nerf war or RoF, I will be making a short list of who can or cannot use these guns with heavy darts.
    I like this idea. I know that people not on the list won't, but that's just an incentive to be more mature, (firstly by trying not to get headshots) and to gain the privelige of using heavies.

Winterstrike wrote:2) I still think that headshots should count,
    If that's what you've decided then I'm fine with that decision,but I personally won't be aiming at anyone's head and I really hope that everyone else will do the same. It's sort of an unwritten rule anyway that you wouldn't.
    Winterstrike wrote:it's very hard to distinguish sometimes between a lobbing headshot or one that just naturally flies towards a head. Discounting hits also makes refereeing a nightmare. If we're going down the path of less painful darts with soft tips OR we start using facemasks, then this really isn't going to be a problem anyway.
    True, I understand that.

However, most of the time when you are hit you don't know, unless someone (usually the shooter) calls it, it's mostly an honesty system, unless a referee was watching or there was someone else watching who calls it.
    I know that all the people we nerf with here in SA are honest about hits, I'm not accusing anyone of cheating.

Could that system apply to a headshot rule?

Or pehaps we should ban headshots for the sharpie class?

Just suggestions, whatever you decide's fine with me.

My original concern was just "what if i was shot with a heavy in the face?" and that has been dealt with.

@Littlebro - that's a bit random in regards to the topic.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 pm

I've been told many footy/soccer/rugby players now wear clear facemasks and that the public are quite used to the sight of these. The fact that you can see a person's face through it removes the milsim douche feel to it, so try to get these if you can, ahead of the regular opaque facemasks.
    TheDoubleBracket
    TheDoubleBracket

Post  TheDoubleBracket Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Personally, even relatively lightweight stefans leave me with fear for my teeth and I don't like playing with only safety glasses for protection. It really is at the point where unless you're playing something strict like FFP, then your "foam dart" game just isn't anymore because you're really firing lead weights at each other.
    Atlas8817

Location : McDowall, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, The Ocean

Post  Atlas8817 Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

@Winterstrike
    These rugby facemasks do leave the vital parts of your face/head exposed though. Your eyes are fully exposed while your teeth are partially.
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:47 pm

paintball masks might prove handy. might be looking at a one for when my mates deside to use the "i want to be a cock" rounds
    Atlas8817

Post  Atlas8817 Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm

paintball masks might prove handy. might be looking at a one for when my mates deside to use the "i want to be a cock" rounds
    The word your looking for is douche. Its less rude. Remember 12yo look at these forums (Like you, ironically). Anywho if you wnat to get the cops called on you, sure use a paintball mask.
    Atlas8817

Post  Atlas8817 Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Cops or Face being hurt? Thats actually a toughie.
    Cops
    A. Nerf will become less popular and become looked down on.
    B. Get you blasters which you paid for with money, which you had to work for, confiscated.

Face Hurts
    A. Pain for a while/ Permanent damage
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:23 pm

How is this?
    Protects Eyes, Ears and your general face.

Concerns & advice to improve the game Dm_uve10

-MS4E
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 pm

This is just my opinion but nerf should be about fun. I think running around with mavericks and raiders is more fun than being in wars where you have to worry about getting hurt or hurting the people you shoot.

So I think we just use the welt rule.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 am

If the guns are powerful enough that you feel you have to wear protective face gear then those guns SHOULD NOT BE IN PUBLIC.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 am

Thus I'm going to have to ban all single shot air powered guns at the KG war. The Darra should be fine as you saw before Joey. The Kelvin Grove one is a different story. We will probably only allow spring powered guns. At the very max range of 120ft (35metre'ish or less. We may have to clock it down too 100ft (30metres).

Those clear facemasks are pretty cool though.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:50 am

What we also need is a soft weighted tip dart, heavy at the front so it doesn't fish tail but isn't hard tipped so it will absorb on impact. Also could be more aero dynamic if it has a rounded front.

I believe Inf0rm3r was working on a mold design but this is really the way it should go.

People in full masks causing the public to get worried is a no go. I am all up for BBBBs at private wars or empty locations (Darra) but as I believe was stated before, if the media catches onto this you KNOW how they will spin it.

"Next up: Children turning toys into dangerous weapons...and then becoming terrorists!"
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 am

killerbunny wrote:This is just my opinion but nerf should be about fun. I think running around with mavericks and raiders is more fun than being in wars where you have to worry about getting hurt or hurting the people you shoot.

I agree. Nerf is more for fun and laugh. BB guns or Airsoft guns (which are illegal in Australia) are more realistic and serious, and the BB balls seem to hurt more.

Even if the rule of limiting the range of fire to 100 feet, are those blasters still gonna hurt a lot? Last night I tried a bit of Russian Roulette silly fun on myself and shot a stock suction dart from my Maverick on my temple. I could feel a small sting from it. My Maverick only shoots about 30 feet max. Imaging those modded Nerfs shooting triple the distance or more at 100 feet+. I think those people who want to play with those modded long range Nerfs, should first try holding their Nerfs close to them and shooting at their own bare arms, legs and chest, and see how much it hurt. If they hurt a lot, then they should not use them in a game.
    nelz0r
    nelz0r

Post  nelz0r Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:23 am

melbourneSTORM4eva wrote:How is this?
    Protects Eyes, Ears and your general face.

Concerns & advice to improve the game Dm_uve10

-MS4E

What kinda mask is this and where would I buy it from?
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:22 am

This is getting out of hand. I started this thread to share my concerns for facial safety.

If you don't like being in nerf wars with BBBB's or titan's, organise your own wars or just don't turn up to wars, like most of the other people on this site do.

I just want to see them used responsibly. It's kind of common sense that there should be a limit on how far away you can be before firing them. It makes it a ton safer.

@ MS4E - That clear mask is exactly what I was looking for, where did you get the pic from?
    I extensively searched e-bay yesterday & couldn't find anything like it.
    It's a hardware mask right?

EDIT: I searched & I've posted some more results here. Still Don't know where the one pictured above came from.

Any further discussion on facial protection should be posted in the thread that I've linked to above.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:09 am

If you don't like being in nerf wars with BBBB's or titan's, organise your own wars or just don't turn up to wars, like most of the other people on this site do.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I've been called irresponsible and selfish by some, because of the way I want to run things and quite frankly I'm tired of it. I don't need these kind of comments and most of these comments are made by people who I'll probably never meet in real life anyway. I really need to learn to stop listening to people's opinions when they don't ultimately matter to me. I normally take people's suggestions to heart as I do actually care what happens to nerf as a sport in Australia and a lot of what people have been saying has been getting me down. Thanks Tony for backing me up a bit here and to any doubters, you're just going to have to trust in what I do and the decisions I make or simply just don't turn up to anything I organise.
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

Winterstrike wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I've been called irresponsible and selfish by some, because of the way I want to run things and quite frankly I'm tired of it. I don't need these kind of comments and most of these comments are made by people who I'll probably never meet in real life anyway. I really need to learn to stop listening to people's opinions when they don't ultimately matter to me. I normally take people's suggestions to heart as I do actually care what happens to nerf as a sport in Australia and a lot of what people have been saying has been getting me down. Thanks Tony for backing me up a bit here and to any doubters, you're just going to have to trust in what I do and the decisions I make or simply just don't turn up to anything I organise.

I've never attended one of your events but from what I've read about ROF it sounds like a great event and that is because of the variety by having games for the high powered weapons as well as stock wars.
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 am

I would like to point out at this stage that ladies and gentlemen (I'm looking at you, Winterstrike and AJ and Chaos-Blades and littlebro05) that you all need to chill out and grab an icecream, in the words of a wise man named Silent Scope. Now that you've done that, I think that there should be a classification system for power. I have no idea how this would be done, but it would guage how powerful the weapons are at certain ranges and therefore the protective equipment required for facing these. Winterstrike, you and I should talk about this at some stage.
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Chaos-Blades wrote:@ MS4E - That clear mask is exactly what I was looking for, where did you get the pic from?

That image was found on Google. By the looks of it, it's a workshop/machine face shield. I'm sure you would find them in your local saftey shop(RESA).Once I get back on the Gold Coast, I will check mine and see if they have it. My only worry about it is the plastic looks very thin.
    TheDoubleBracket
    TheDoubleBracket

Post  TheDoubleBracket Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:22 pm

melbourneSTORM4eva wrote:
    Chaos-Blades wrote:@ MS4E - That clear mask is exactly what I was looking for, where did you get the pic from?

That image was found on Google. By the looks of it, it's a workshop/machine face shield. I'm sure you would find them in your local saftey shop(RESA).Once I get back on the Gold Coast, I will check mine and see if they have it. My only worry about it is the plastic looks very thin.
    I've looked at these at Bunnings... they seem great because of wide coverage for $30... except most of them are really only for working up close, they're quite blurry to look through.
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Reaper wrote:I would like to point out at this stage that ladies and gentlemen (I'm looking at you, Winterstrike and AJ and Chaos-Blades and littlebro05) that you all need to chill out and grab an icecream, in the words of a wise man named Silent Scope. Now that you've done that, I think that there should be a classification system for power. I have no idea how this would be done, but it would guage how powerful the weapons are at certain ranges and therefore the protective equipment required for facing these. Winterstrike, you and I should talk about this at some stage.

This actually has been done, or at least somewhat like it on the HvZ forums. See below.

**The System**:

Classification Levels:

Class A: 0 points - 25 points
    Class B: 30 points - 45 points
    Class C: 50 points - 65 points
    Class D: 70 points - 90 points
    Class E: 95 points - 115 points
    Class F: 120+ points

Each weapon is assessed according to the following traits: Maximum Level Range, Rate of Fire, Ammo Capacity, and Integrations (the physical attachment of another weapon). It is important to know that integrated weapons are still classed as separate weapons, but there is an additional point cost for the convenience of having it integrated as well.

Socks are classed at 5 points each.

Maximum Level Range
    Melee - 10 ft: 5 points
    11 ft - 25 ft: 10 points
    26 ft - 35 ft: 15 points
    36 ft - 50 ft: 25 points
    51 ft - 70 ft: 35 points
    71 ft - 90 ft: 45 points
    91 ft - 110ft: 60 points
    110 ft+ : 75 points

Rate of Fire:
    Single: 5 points
    Clip-Fed Single: 10 points
    Turreted Single: 15 points
    Shotgun Fire: 15 points
    Semi-Auto: 20 points
    Full-Auto: 25 points

Ammo Capacity:
    Single: 5 points
    2 - 8 darts : 10 points
    9 - 16 darts : 15 points
    17 - 25 darts: 20 points
    26+ : 30 points
    (Additional Clips/Belts/Drums: 5 points each)

Integrations*:

Add 5 points for each Classification Level of the integrated weapon. (ex. integrating a Class C weapon would add 15 points)

*For the purposes of this system, an integration is defined as "Two or more physically-attached weapons with separate firing mechanisms." This includes weapons with linked TRIGGERS, but separate plungers/springs/etc. This does not include weapons with integrated parts (ex. A maverick with additional cylinders integrated would have a higher CAPACITY, but not be considered an integration because there is only one firing mechanism.)

*USES:*

1. ...to expressly limit gun types for a particular activity. (ex. Class B or below for daily activity, Class C for this mission, and Class D+ for this super-mission, etc.)

2. ...to shape the TOTAL equipment for each member. (ex. You are alotted X points, however you should choose to use them.)

3. ...to provide limitations for any "squads" you may have organized for some missions. (ex. "No more than 1 Class C weapon," or "Total points less than X," etc)

4. ...to organize weapons into categories for Unlock Play, if you're using a variant of that ruleset.

*The KISS Doctrine (Keep It Simple, Stupid):*

While this explanation may be somewhat long and complicated, it's only because I'm introducing a new system AND all the ways it could be used. Overall, it's very simple to use, easy to verify, and it adds the "Inventory Management" element of many of our favorite Survival Horror Games without all the tedium.

*FULL EXAMPLE:*

Let's say I'd like to use the following weapons, and I need to know how they're classified:

1) Longshot with Raider Drum and Brass Breech System, w/ Integrated Front Gun
    2) Nerf Eliminator with AR Removal/Brass Barrel
    3) Stock Maverick

Modded Longshot:
    Max. Level Range: 95 (60 points)
    Rate of Fire: Clip-Fed Single (10 points)
    Ammo Cap.: 35 darts (30 points)
    Integrations: Integ. Class A (5 points)
    TOTAL: 105 points - Class E weapon

LS Front Gun:
    Max. Level Range: 30 (15 points)
    RoF: Single (5)
    Ammo Cap.: Single (5)
    Integ.: None
    TOTAL: 25 points - Class A weapon

[/Wall of text.]
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:41 am

DAMNIT!!!! I was just about to post that. You bastard... didn't think anyone else here read the HvZ forums. Oh well. You beat me to it, fair and square.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm