If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)
Custom Search

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1917 registered users

The newest registered user is ShaGGz LMS

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Nerf Modifacations can Be Dangerours... CBS News

TheBradl3s

Nerf Modifacations can Be Dangerours... CBS News

Post  TheBradl3s on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:34 am

This was on one of Uin13's vids... but Yeah, watch and read, i loled, especially when the kid shows how to remove the air restrictor and add a spring...

Link to News Report

- Brad
    chinnerz

Re: Nerf Modifacations can Be Dangerours... CBS News

Post  chinnerz on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:44 am

Those kids who are un-able to attend... yeah that'd be me
    Primus1356

Post  Primus1356 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:48 am

Thats lame. They show the one side of Nerf modding, all the random american kids whose aim is to be like their dads rifle. Real modding isn't just stick thumb tacks in the end.
    On another note, i was scrolling through the comments and i saw that Ryan Mcnumberz Commented.
    Unknown

Post  Unknown on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:19 am

I was just about to post this when I saw you already had...
    They didn't show much of the positive sides of nerf only idiots and thumb tacks. Kids in my school and grade use thumb tacks and I continually tell them how stupid they are being. They get exited when their thumb tacks stick into chairs I don't dare introduce them to Titans of modding in fear of what they would do... Imagine a Titan firing thumb tack darts. Now this thread shouldn't be about criticising silly kids but safety and getting positive media attention.

splosionman

Post  splosionman on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:41 am

The thing is the majority of people in the world are retarded. Fact.
    This news story is really sad. You can see how the media is trying to sensationalise the danger in modifying these things, and the ignorance of the general population means that it will be believed. But then again, thats what news corporations do.
    Mohrlock
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  Mohrlock on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:59 am

I'm purely posting a comment as I can't watch the vid until I get home tonight from work. Though just speculate that in this post I am actually ridiculing stupid american kids...

*Edit: Posting this so I can find it when I get home tonight that is... Stupid brain being in work (read: zombie) mode...
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Man, that mum was pretty hot. And cool too... I wish she was my mother...

Milf lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HELL YEAH ULTIMATE STREET CRED YO!

Give back to your fellow member and buy his wares. All profits stay in Australia, tune up my VR SS V8, and more.
    In case you're curious about my WTB requests or my Triple Shot products.

Don't worry, I've compiled a list so far of us VIC crew here, yo.

Also, can you people start putting titles in PMs? I can't be bothered trying to figure out what the subject and context is within a PM.

Now a proud owner of a Holden VR Commodore SS V8 with a stage 2 shifter, VVVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!
    thestick

Post  thestick on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:20 pm

Wouldn't it be better if she was one of your mates mothers?
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Freud may be on a roll here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HELL YEAH ULTIMATE STREET CRED YO!

Give back to your fellow member and buy his wares. All profits stay in Australia, tune up my VR SS V8, and more.
    In case you're curious about my WTB requests or my Triple Shot products.

Don't worry, I've compiled a list so far of us VIC crew here, yo.

Also, can you people start putting titles in PMs? I can't be bothered trying to figure out what the subject and context is within a PM.

Now a proud owner of a Holden VR Commodore SS V8 with a stage 2 shifter, VVVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!
    mull

Post  mull on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:54 pm

I have to admit that that news report is just another example of decaying style of journalism in practice today.
    It's no longer about reporting the facts and informing people, it's now about capturing eyes onto screens/papers and making more money from that.

Now you got a new batch of kids who previously had no idea that they could make silly dangerous mods to Nerf guns, are now highly interested in doing so and not having the mental capacity to figure out the consequences of doing so.
    (Yes, there will be a few who deserve it, but most don't.)

thestick wrote:Wouldn't it be better if she was one of your mates mothers?
    Who says they have to be blood related? =P

Silent Scope wrote:Freud may be on a roll here.
    Judging by some of the avatars that you have cycled through since I had signed up not to long ago...
    I'm going to make an assumption that it appears that you may have been corrupted via the exposure of that niche culture from that land of the rising sun...
    Joey

Post  Joey on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:10 pm

mull wrote:I have to admit that that news report is just another example of decaying style of journalism in practice today.
    It's no longer about reporting the facts and informing people, it's now about capturing eyes onto screens/papers and making more money from that.

Been like this for the last 15 years. 'Today tonight', 'ACA' wouldn't hesitate to do one of these 'concerned mother' stories.....unless of course hasbro is a major sponsor.

Slydev nerf parts and accessories store

TheNerfBomb

Post  TheNerfBomb on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Joey wrote:
    mull wrote:I have to admit that that news report is just another example of decaying style of journalism in practice today.

Been like this for the last 15 years. 'Today tonight', 'ACA' wouldn't hesitate to do one of these 'concerned mother' stories.....unless of course hasbro is a major sponsor.

New REPORTS should burn in hell. Making money for not our benefit BURN IN HELL BCHes and now the reporters arent even sxy

Last edited by phuonguyen on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed the spam)
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:27 am

TheNerfBomb wrote:
    Joey wrote:

New REPORTS should burn in hell. Making money for not our benefit BURN IN HELL BCHes and now the reporters arent even sxy

I think 30 minutes is plenty of time for you to get rid of that spam.

And..... start the clock.

EDIT: And half an hour has passed... Strike 2 one more and you're gone.

Last edited by phuonguyen on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:37 am

phuonguyen wrote:I think 30 minutes is plenty of time for you to get rid of that spam.
    And..... start the clock.
    Well done, it was hurting my eyes. More than I've been ever been injured by nerf guns.

What a bunch of sensationalist media bullcrap, I fkn hate that stuff man, we NEED the Chaser to take them down a peg.

Similar to this;
    redsaber5859

Post  redsaber5859 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59 am

Primus1356 wrote:Thats lame. They show the one side of Nerf modding, all the random american kids whose aim is to be like their dads rifle. Real modding isn't just stick thumb tacks in the end.
    On another note, i was scrolling through the comments and i saw that Ryan Mcnumberz Commented.
    No, its the crazy Americans, oh wait, that's why I'm on an Australian forum, the American ones are all about making stupid danger-bullet-mods.
    Mohrlock
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  Mohrlock on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 am

Chaos-Blades wrote:Similar to this;

ROFLMAO! Thanks for my new desktop background!

*Edit: With that jacket & hairstyle she looks a little Steampunk to me... just saying
    gooni

Post  gooni on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 am

Mohrlock wrote:

ROFLMAO! Thanks for my new desktop background!

*Edit: With that jacket & hairstyle she looks a little Steampunk to me... just saying

I was thinking more oldskool late 70's early 80's Dr. Who.

youngin'

Post  youngin' on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am

Is it just me or does that kid in the "Don't mess with CBC" photo look a little like Jake from
    Two and a half Men.
    MoTHic

Post  MoTHic on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm just going to say... welcome to the 21st century. Burocracy and over protectiveness prevails in our society and this is why we get news reports like this. I remember when I was in NSW and I was told the law 'If a structure is a meter or over, you are required to wear a harness' and 'children under 14 are not to climb step ladders'. And its all because we live in an age were if someone stuffs up everyone suffers, no matter how stupid or arbitrary it may seem. This is a result of suing as well. On the news report they mentioned how its not Hasbro's 'fault' that the modding occurs and that they have put warning labels and such on there guns. however, in actual fact Hasbro couldn't care less about the modding, however if they do not stick the warning labels onto the guns and someone has an accident with for example, sticking a pin in a dart and shooting it at there friend and hits there eye, if the warning labels wern't there Hasbro would be held liable and so the victim would be in there right, rather to sue the person who shot them, rather sue Hasbro, which has more money. There are other examples of this BULLSHIT! happening (excuse my French) such as the woman suing David Johns for someone harrasing her, the incident clearly wasn't David John's fault, however the woman sued them as they had a lot more money that the harrasor. Another example of the same bullshit is someone suing a tourist railway when they fell off a bridge on the railway line, and her case was that she fell off the bridge as a result of inadequate sign-age saying not to walk on the bridge. I think if things continue like they are, we will have warning signs on food saying to chew before swallowing as the person could choke, for without the signs the company would get sued for not having aduiquate signing. As for the affair with children sticking pins in there darts, I personally think that this stupidity is a result of younger generations as a result of being rapped up in bubble rap that they are to stupid to know that firing a sharp object at someone hurts. Kids these days are not allowed to do anything remotely hazardous and so don't learn there limits. As you can see burocracy and this whole system of suing flows in a circle, eventually we will have children who wont even know knives are sharp. We will also get these kids, that think that nothings ever there fualt. For example, they will be an asshole to everyone around them, and wonder why they have no friends, however because there parents don't tell them that no matter how hard you kick that little boy down the street in the face, he will never become your friend as a result of the parents getting this mentality through suing that its never there fualt. This little rant may seem a little out of order with grammar and swing to different topics very quickly, but I've tried to fit all my exxperience with this subject into a very small little summary, anyhow, I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say...

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 pm

MoTHic wrote:I'm just going to say... welcome to the 21st century. Burocracy and over protectiveness prevails in our society and this is why we get news reports like this. I remember when I was in NSW and I was told the law 'If a structure is a meter or over, you are required to wear a harness' and 'children under 14 are not to climb step ladders'. And its all because we live in an age were if someone stuffs up everyone suffers, no matter how stupid or arbitrary it may seem. This is a result of suing as well. On the news report they mentioned how its not Hasbro's 'fault' that the modding occurs and that they have put warning labels and such on there guns. however, in actual fact Hasbro couldn't care less about the modding, however if they do not stick the warning labels onto the guns and someone has an accident with for example, sticking a pin in a dart and shooting it at there friend and hits there eye, if the warning labels wern't there Hasbro would be held liable and so the victim would be in there right, rather to sue the person who shot them, rather sue Hasbro, which has more money. There are other examples of this BULLSHIT! happening (excuse my French) such as the woman suing David Johns for someone harrasing her, the incident clearly wasn't David John's fault, however the woman sued them as they had a lot more money that the harrasor. Another example of the same bullshit is someone suing a tourist railway when they fell off a bridge on the railway line, and her case was that she fell off the bridge as a result of inadequate sign-age saying not to walk on the bridge. I think if things continue like they are, we will have warning signs on food saying to chew before swallowing as the person could choke, for without the signs the company would get sued for not having aduiquate signing. As for the affair with children sticking pins in there darts, I personally think that this stupidity is a result of younger generations as a result of being rapped up in bubble rap that they are to stupid to know that firing a sharp object at someone hurts. Kids these days are not allowed to do anything remotely hazardous and so don't learn there limits. As you can see burocracy and this whole system of suing flows in a circle, eventually we will have children who wont even know knives are sharp. We will also get these kids, that think that nothings ever there fualt. For example, they will be an asshole to everyone around them, and wonder why they have no friends, however because there parents don't tell them that no matter how hard you kick that little boy down the street in the face, he will never become your friend as a result of the parents getting this mentality through suing that its never there fualt. This little rant may seem a little out of order with grammar and swing to different topics very quickly, but I've tried to fit all my exxperience with this subject into a very small little summary, anyhow, I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say...
    k
    OnTopic: In a country where airsoft is legalised why would they even do a news story on it unless they were out of material. CBS cbf'd finding anything worth presenting. I still don't understand how modifing is so bad, the blasters released are weak and obviously toys. There is more chance of death from warhammer than this.
    Kthnxbai
    Also BANDOOLIA.
    mull

Post  mull on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:45 pm

MoTHic wrote:I'm just going to say... welcome to the 21st century. Burocracy and over protectiveness prevails in our society and this is why we get news reports like this. I remember when I was in NSW and I was told the law 'If a structure is a meter or over, you are required to wear a harness' and 'children under 14 are not to climb step ladders'. And its all because we live in an age were if someone stuffs up everyone suffers, no matter how stupid or arbitrary it may seem. This is a result of suing as well. On the news report they mentioned how its not Hasbro's 'fault' that the modding occurs and that they have put warning labels and such on there guns. however, in actual fact Hasbro couldn't care less about the modding, however if they do not stick the warning labels onto the guns and someone has an accident with for example, sticking a pin in a dart and shooting it at there friend and hits there eye, if the warning labels wern't there Hasbro would be held liable and so the victim would be in there right, rather to sue the person who shot them, rather sue Hasbro, which has more money. There are other examples of this BULLSHIT! happening (excuse my French) such as the woman suing David Johns for someone harrasing her, the incident clearly wasn't David John's fault, however the woman sued them as they had a lot more money that the harrasor. Another example of the same bullshit is someone suing a tourist railway when they fell off a bridge on the railway line, and her case was that she fell off the bridge as a result of inadequate sign-age saying not to walk on the bridge. I think if things continue like they are, we will have warning signs on food saying to chew before swallowing as the person could choke, for without the signs the company would get sued for not having aduiquate signing. As for the affair with children sticking pins in there darts, I personally think that this stupidity is a result of younger generations as a result of being rapped up in bubble rap that they are to stupid to know that firing a sharp object at someone hurts. Kids these days are not allowed to do anything remotely hazardous and so don't learn there limits. As you can see burocracy and this whole system of suing flows in a circle, eventually we will have children who wont even know knives are sharp. We will also get these kids, that think that nothings ever there fualt. For example, they will be an asshole to everyone around them, and wonder why they have no friends, however because there parents don't tell them that no matter how hard you kick that little boy down the street in the face, he will never become your friend as a result of the parents getting this mentality through suing that its never there fualt. This little rant may seem a little out of order with grammar and swing to different topics very quickly, but I've tried to fit all my exxperience with this subject into a very small little summary, anyhow, I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say...
    tl;dr

Summary:
    Nowadays, people aren't willing to take responsibility for their own actions, shift blame and seek profit when they screw up, if possible.
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 pm

mull wrote:Judging by some of the avatars that you have cycled through since I had signed up not to long ago...
    I'm going to make an assumption that it appears that you may have been corrupted via the exposure of that niche culture from that land of the rising sun...
    Yep. Also, I think Kanako's relationship and feelings for Keitaro in the Love Hina Again OVA is hot.

I should be in gaol for my thoughts.

A "very small little summary"? I'm going to sue you for grossly advertising your post as you've described which has given me eye damage.

See you in the High Court (yes, I'm going all the way here).

Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Mothic, normally I pm people who infringe upon our rules in regards to grammar and spelling, but your rant is so painful to read that you obviously think that proofreading must be just for fun. Have some consideration for others when you write so much. One huge paragraph, full of spelling errors and your topics switch so often, it's like reading the diary of a schizophrenic.

Strike one, especially so since this site comes with an inbuilt spelling checker.
    Reconzor

Post  Reconzor on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:54 pm

On the topic of suing.
    Theoratically, uin13/ice could sue CBS if they:
    a) dont reference him somewhere
    b)dont say anything like "video courtesy of uin13 on youtube.
    c) dont have anywhere where he is mentioned credits or such.
    d) didn't contact him to ask if they could use the video clip.

Theoratically ^_^

That just about the only thing i learned in IT while making a wiki page for school.
    Also, epic rant Mothic.
    mull

Post  mull on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:35 am

Silent Scope wrote:
    mull wrote:Judging by some of the avatars that you have cycled through since I had signed up not to long ago...
    Yep. Also, I think Kanako's relationship and feelings for Keitaro in the Love Hina Again OVA is hot.

I should be in gaol for my thoughts.
    The closest you will get to such thing in reality, is a dakimakura.

Winterstrike wrote:Strike one, especially so since this site comes with an inbuilt spelling checker.
    LOL
    It took me little effort to find the damn spell check button for making posts on this forum.
    I eventually found it...
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:20 am

Ah but his face wasn't seen in the video so he can't sue CBS. Since they followed privacy guidelines.
    Joey

Post  Joey on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:31 am

Plus I think the youtube TOS lets people reuse videos freely (at least I know the flickr one does)

kingkottah

Post  kingkottah on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:21 am

Silent Scope wrote:
    Winterstrike wrote:Strike one, especially so since this site comes with an inbuilt spelling checker.
    LOL
    It took me little effort to find the damn spell check button for making posts on this forum.
    I eventually found it...

Wait theres a spell check?

Reconzor

Post  Reconzor on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 am

@littlebro05
    hmm true.. What about voice recognition.. The one time he had to do an overhead view video..

Joey wrote:Plus I think the youtube TOS lets people reuse videos freely (at least I know the flickr one does)

what is TOS? Is it terms of service?
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 am

Nope. That could be anyone's voice. The news didn't identify who he was. There could be a million people in the world that has the same voice as him.

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:03 pm

A 16 year old that lives in a Mansion in the US, that makes hundreds of dollars more than he should on modified nerf guns. Why would he need to sue. Not to mention that he is a Youtube partner from making videos on his crappy macbook webcam.
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Surely UN13 has some form of intellectual ownership of his work. Or is there a clause in youtubes conditions that say by uploading the vid it becomes public property?

Halt, Hammerzeit!
    MoTHic

Post  MoTHic on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:36 pm

I'd tip that he could sue, however it wouldn't be worth it in the end, as CBN is a huge company with millions of dollars to throw at the most pointless stuff imaginable. UN13 is 16 and is probably struggling to fuel his Nerf hobby besides the fact that he does have the income from it. Also I don't think his parents would be all that keen on him suing a billion dollar corporation.

Also CBN didn't actually really use any of his work, and Youtube being public as stated earlier he has no real power over it...

P.S my bad about my grammar Winterstrike it was pretty awful, I was in a bit of a rush when I typed that rant.
    Joey

Post  Joey on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Psykka wrote:Surely UN13 has some form of intellectual ownership of his work. Or is there a clause in youtubes conditions that say by uploading the vid it becomes public property?

Its not that it becomes public property, but it should be covered under fair use.

Piesamus

Post  Piesamus on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Fair Use requires the original author to be cited, doesn't it?

Does CBN actually cite it? My Flash player is being rather dodgy, so watching it just now is out of the question.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 pm