Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+10
Joey
matt.chopper
melbourneSTORM4eva
chinnerz
Psykka
mull
littlebro05
Akimbo Assassin
Servulus
XmasNerfElf
14 posters

Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods?

XmasNerfElf

Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Empty Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods?

Post  XmasNerfElf Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 am

Any advice to help the Christmas Elf improve the life of a budding Nerf mod-head? No Nerf survives the first 12 hours fully assembled or unmodified in this house... now Santa is going to fulfil a Dremel Dream and would like to make it Nerf-effective. Any Dremel bits/tools/attachments you experienced Nerf modifiers think is particularly Nerf-effective? Thankyou!
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Empty Re: Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods?

Post  Servulus Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 am

Get yourself a flex shaft, it is a very handy attachment, as the tool itself is often big and bulky to work with. As for tools experiment with them all, you will find the ones you like to use more than so than some others. But the flex shaft is a must.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Empty Re: Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods?

Post  Akimbo Assassin Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:58 am

Hey I am also interested in dremel / rotary tool kit. I believe there is a post about it long time ago. The obvious dremel brand is Dremel, apparently other people say they are of high quality and obviously on the expensive side. Available from Bunning. There is also the cheap Oztio brand which is only good for very occasional use. Another interesting brand is Ryobi which is also of decent quality but not as expensive as Dremel, problem is in difficulty in findinf the bits and attachment for Ryobi, I can't seem to find them anywhere in Australia.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:01 am

XmasNerfElf wrote:Any advice to help the Christmas Elf improve the life of a budding Nerf mod-head? No Nerf survives the first 12 hours fully assembled or unmodified in this house... now Santa is going to fulfil a Dremel Dream and would like to make it Nerf-effective. Any Dremel bits/tools/attachments you experienced Nerf modifiers think is particularly Nerf-effective? Thankyou!

I just use Ozito... so much easier. I also see you are from Brisbane... so off topic...

Upcoming Nerf War at Mt Ommaney...

Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=174110875942259

Details - http://www.oznerf.com/nerf-wars-f7/southside-war-nerf-war-memorial-gardens-in-mt-ommaney-18th-of-december-2010-saturday-update-2-t2443.htm
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:27 am

I also use an Ozito.
    The kit comes with a flex shaft, table clamp stand and some accessories to get you started for only 40 bucks at Bunnings.
    This is a fair price for a tool that I'm pretty much only going to use for Nerf guns.

If I'm going to use it more frequently or for something more serious, it would be worth spending much more for a Dremel.

And I would advise against buying that 12V rotary tool by XU1 from Bunnings for 20 bucks, that thing looks small and piss weak.
    However, you could give that to a girl and with the right bits it comes with, she could grind and polish her nails with it.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:46 pm

dynalink rotary tool is what I use. It's fully compatible with all dremel pieces. It also comes with a flex shaft so you don't have to buy one separately.
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 pm

XmasNerfElf wrote:Any advice to help the Christmas Elf improve the life of a budding Nerf mod-head? No Nerf survives the first 12 hours fully assembled or unmodified in this house... now Santa is going to fulfil a Dremel Dream and would like to make it Nerf-effective. Any Dremel bits/tools/attachments you experienced Nerf modifiers think is particularly Nerf-effective? Thankyou!

First of all, that is a very vague question. I also think it is one which nobody has answered yet.
    What type of dremal do you think you will receive? May i suggest the 400,
    here is a pic of it sitting next to my old ozito
    Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Img0450kh
    Mine came in this nice box with some attachments and a flexi shaft
    Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Img0448bz

Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Img0449d

If i remember correctly, it was around the $150 mark, totally worth every cent i say

If i was to give you any advice, it would be to find a way to get organised, the most annoying thing is not being able to find the right bit for the job (rage!)
    I just use these trays and have my bits organised according to type.
    Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Img0447n0

About the actual bits, can't really help you without knowing what type of modder you are/ what your plans are. But one thing which everyone uses is the cutting disks
    I have seen three different types:
    Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Img0451ig
    the ones on the top left seem to work the best at everything, the ones on the top right are good and cheap, but they often crack and fly off at high speed, one diamond one at the bottom is just useless... it worked for like half a day but now it doesnt cut shit..
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Dont half ass it when it comes to buying tools, ozito are shit, dont expect it to last long. Ive had a Dremel 300 since january and its still going hard, I would expect different for ozito. Power tools are something worth spending good money on, it will pay off in the future.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:57 pm

melbourneSTORM4eva wrote:Dont half ass it when it comes to buying tools, ozito are shit, dont expect it to last long. Ive had a Dremel 300 since january and its still going hard, I would expect different for ozito. Power tools are something worth spending good money on, it will pay off in the future.

Nope fail. Ozito is good for it's price. Inf0rm3r has had his for 3 years now and going and it's still go PLENTY of oomph.
    matt.chopper
    matt.chopper

Post  matt.chopper Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:58 pm

I use my dad's ozito. He's had it for 4 years.
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Im just sayin, it's a better buy if you get the decent brand,compare DeWalt to Ozito, or Ryobi. Ask any tradsman, they choose the good brand not the shit cheap ones.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:21 pm

How are they cheap 'shit' ones... Exactly. It's just the matter of opinion. Professional or not :).
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:25 pm

well it's much better to spend the money on a tool that will easy last you 10 years+, than buy somthing that will last half that.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:33 pm

I am thinking about getting one, though I am just a casual user. Thinking about Ryobi one from Bunning, is it really that shit? Dremel 400 just seems a bit too expensive for casual use. Hmm, hard to decide
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 pm

This is what I mean.

cheap dirty brands
    Ryobi=China
    Ozito=China
    GMC=China
    Rockwell=China

Good
    Dremel=USA
    DeWalt=USA
    Bosch=Germany
    Stanley=USA
    Irwin=USA/Australia

What im saying is stay away from tools made in china.Trust me.
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 am

As i have actually ownd and used both a dremel and and an ozito extensively, i think im in the best position to compare the two... So here it is:

The ozito is great for simple stuff(nerf modding), it spins fast and i guess has a fair amount of power for its price point. However the speed controls are not even close to as accurate as the dremel, in fact the speed changes when your now even doing any thing :/. There are a lot more vibrations in this unit, and it really fails when trying to use it at highest speeds. Another point worth mentioning is that the cooling on that unit is quite poor also; it gets too hot too quickly. For nerf/general modding, where cutting and grinding plastics and wood are the objectives, and continuous operation is under 20mins the Ozito does the job quite well.

In closing, the dremel is the industry leader and is be far better!... But some of the other brands like Ozito are good cheaper alternatives.

melbourneSTORM4eva wrote:This is what I mean.

cheap dirty brands
    Ryobi=China
    Ozito=China
    GMC=China
    Rockwell=China

Good
    Dremel=USA
    DeWalt=USA
    Bosch=Germany
    Stanley=USA
    Irwin=USA/Australia

What im saying is stay away from tools made in china.Trust me.

I agree to an extent. I have a ryobi drills and a GMC compound saw, i think the saw is 8 years, the drill is somewhere between 5 and 10 years.. they are going well no issues. But i am slowly replacing all my tools with makita ones
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 am

I have all Ryobi, damn reliable.

That is how dad did it, that is how America does it...and it has worked out pretty good so far.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:28 am

I've never looked back after buying the Dremel 69 piece cutting set for about $25 from Bunnings.

Most Useful Dremel Tool/Bit/Attachment for Nerf mods? Img4cf49b86dd970__54819_zoom
    Very handy for those who have a habit of destroying cutting bits...
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:01 am

Joey wrote:I have all Ryobi, damn reliable.

That is how dad did it, that is how America does it...and it has worked out pretty good so far.

Do you mean you have the Ryobi rotary tool from Bunning? How is that one?
    Ebby
    Ebby

Post  Ebby Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 am

mull wrote:
    And I would advise against buying that 12V rotary tool by XU1 from Bunnings for 20 bucks, that thing looks small and piss weak.
    However, you could give that to a girl and with the right bits it comes with, she could grind and polish her nails with it.

Sadly, I fell for this mongrel. For my mere $20, I expected more. It takes me 30 mins to cut a piece of aluminum, and I am being completely honest. I am going to buy a ryobi with my Christmas money.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:

I love it, Chinese or not it wasn't cheap like the ozito one ($120 for the dremel set, comes with ALOT of peices). Variable speeds work fine, solid, etc. Granted I havent done any metal work with it, maybe its 'cheapness' will shine then?

I also have their drill and heat gun (use it to fix my 60gig ps3 every time it YLODs on me)
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 am

Joey wrote:
    Akimbo Assassin wrote:

I love it, Chinese or not it wasn't cheap like the ozito one ($120 for the dremel set, comes with ALOT of peices). Variable speeds work fine, solid, etc. Granted I havent done any metal work with it, maybe its 'cheapness' will shine then?

I also have their drill and heat gun (use it to fix my 60gig ps3 every time it YLODs on me)

Good to hear that, however a lot of people of net complaining the Ryobi resets its speed to lowest every time you switch it off and people get really annoyed with that. How do you find yours and how do you adapt to it?
    SuctionCup
    SuctionCup

Post  SuctionCup Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:51 am

I just got a Dremel 300 today :D! Working fine so far, very happy with it!
    It came with a flex-shaft, numerous bits, 90 degree angle thing, and a plethora of other little pieces!

I would probably reccommend that to you, it has worked well for the 30mins that I have played with it I am currently going to create a model balsa wood aeroplane, wish me luck on that.

Does anyone have any tips and/or tricks that they are willing to share with dremel-ing?
    wallo

Post  wallo Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:43 am

Hey guys,

New to this forum so please forgive the newbie comments but I've been using my Dremel for years with other hobbies and around the house.

Pay more and get a genuine one... You won't regret it. They are reliable, built well and don't quit. I know there's quite a few clones out there and some might last a while, but they are built to a price. I know there's a good clone on the Hobbyking.com website but even then you're getting a copy (but at least you're buying almost directly, rather than through distributors etc). Just don't expect the copies to last as long as the original.

I use clone bits but have always found the genuine bits to be more reliable and less likely to blow up whilst in use.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:09 am

Ozito is very cheap and reliable. You just dont' get as many cutting bits.

For those who have a habit of breaking cutting bits... I just got a metal disc hahaha.
    wallo

Post  wallo Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 am

littlebro05 wrote:Ozito is very cheap and reliable. You just dont' get as many cutting bits.

For those who have a habit of breaking cutting bits... I just got a metal disc hahaha.

+1 regarding the metal discs. Keep plenty of them spare because you'll chew through them, that's for sure.

Tip - when cutting with the discs, avoid putting lateral pressure on the tool because it tends to make the discs snap and fly all over the place.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm