Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+2
clunk07
Kinetic Waffle
6 posters

Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making.

Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making. Empty Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making.

Post  Kinetic Waffle Sat May 07, 2011 7:11 pm

My god, the topic miraculously changed into something entirely new and different!

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to make one of these silencers?

Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making. Lastparts_all

Simple enough to make a silencer with holes in it using a drill press, but something with the angled design of the holes would prove difficult. Could probably be done with a dremel, but getting the angles right on a cylindrical surface would be extremely difficult. Post if you've got any ideas!

The Jesus Gun Herself:

Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making. Final_alice5

Last edited by Kinetic Waffle on Sun May 08, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making. Empty Re: Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making.

Post  clunk07 Sat May 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Mate, I honestly think it wouldn't be that hard to replicate the scope, with a base model BSA red dot from dealextreme. You can buy/make the eye-piece, whack on a 2 x AA battery holder for cosmetics etc

Give me a couple of days to have a play with some pieces I've got here - days off from work start Wednesday, so I'll look in to it then.
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making. Empty Re: Vera the Firefly Stampede- Silencer making.

Post  Kinetic Waffle Sun May 08, 2011 5:34 am

Ah, sweet! Sounds like a plan.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun May 08, 2011 5:45 am

Is that Jesus' assault rifle or something..? It's beautiful.. Anything can be replicated with the right tools, materials and a bit of thought put into it (: goodluck Clunk, look forward to seeing something cool.

Ohh, I totally didn't pick up on that! I love Firefly, on of the best shows ever made! Funnily enough, when I saw that gun, it kind of reminded me of that episode where he shoots it out of a space suit at the end. But I hadn't clicked that it was actually that gun, hahaa.

Cody
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Sun May 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Jayne: Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun.
    [he holds the gun out to Mal]
    Mal: [Chinese swearing] You offering me a trade?
    Jayne: A trade? Hell, it's theft. This the best gun made by man. It has *extreme* sentimental value. It's miles more worthy 'n what you got!
    Mal: What I got? She has a name.
    Jayne: So does this. I call it Vera.
    Mal: Well, my days of not takin' ya seriously are certainly comin' to a middle.

~Firefly, Our Mrs Reynolds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-e-HY69Gb0

If Jesus had a Callahan Fullbore Autolock, then I'd find religion. Then probably start running in the other direction, TBH, because that thing is terrifying and I sleep in on Sundays.

Anyway, hopefully this will get Clunk's skills more recognition as such a great modder. I don't believe anyone has done a Firefly nerf gun before. I mean, looking at his longshots, they are as good as you can get anywhere I've seen, so all he really needs is some really recognizable aesthetics to put his works up there in the top ten nerf mods. Given the combination of speed, power and the high-tech appearance this stampede should bring to the table, I really hope to see it listed with the Gears Lancer and Tommy Gun mod. Very exciting project!

~KW
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Mon May 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Can you please explain what this Jesus gun is? I've never heard of it.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 09, 2011 3:40 pm

@ Synergie, I'd never heard of it either. It's off the tv series Firefly, but that's all I can tell you. click on KW's link to youtube video above, that may shed some light on the topic for you.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Mon May 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Im starting to get the picture now, goes without saying it's a mean looking gun either way.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Synergie wrote:Im starting to get the picture now, goes without saying it's a mean looking gun either way.

Yeh, imagine the massive amounts of headache's I'm going to endure whilst attempting to replicate this in some recognisable form, out of a Stampede!!
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Mon May 09, 2011 4:13 pm

If you had an airsoft AK that would help, looking at the middle
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

bulletproofvest wrote:If you had an airsoft AK that would help, looking at the middle

Besides the fact it's impossible for me to purchase airsoft, it would be too much hard work and frustration re-locating the Stampede internals...
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Mon May 09, 2011 4:38 pm

We don't need to go *too* crazy re-creating it, hardly need the curved stock or any such things. No relocation or anything like that. I'm pretty satisfied with whacking a paintjob on a stampede, getting a nice scope and laser sight, a silencer, and seeing how we go from there. Airsoft internal swap is WAAAY over the top.

I'm having fun thinking about all the ways we can make this a really cool gun, but I don't have all the money in the world ;P Can't go too crazy, much as it is tempting. The key is achieving a recognizable final product while still keeping me with the ability to eat and have heating in my house.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Kinetic Waffle wrote:We don't need to go *too* crazy re-creating it, hardly need the curved stock or any such things. No relocation or anything like that. I'm pretty satisfied with whacking a paintjob on a stampede, getting a nice scope and laser sight, a silencer, and seeing how we go from there. Airsoft internal swap is WAAAY over the top.

I'm having fun thinking about all the ways we can make this a really cool gun, but I don't have all the money in the world ;P Can't go too crazy, much as it is tempting. The key is achieving a recognizable final product while still keeping me with the ability to eat and have heating in my house.

Fire wood and matches are cheap. mod a titan, and you can get food pretty easily!! lol
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm

clunk07 wrote:
    Kinetic Waffle wrote:We don't need to go *too* crazy re-creating it, hardly need the curved stock or any such things. No relocation or anything like that. I'm pretty satisfied with whacking a paintjob on a stampede, getting a nice scope and laser sight, a silencer, and seeing how we go from there. Airsoft internal swap is WAAAY over the top.

Fire wood and matches are cheap. mod a titan, and you can get food pretty easily!! lol

"Homeless, please help. Will mod nerf guns for food."
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon May 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Hahaa, stray cats probably don't have too much nutrition, Clunk. Jesus gun was probably a reference to my asking if that was Jesus' gun..? Hahaa, that's funny about religion. And yes, I know the series well! For those that haven't seen it, in that episode he tries to trade this gun for the captains new wife, hahaa.

If you drew out every single hole's shape with something sturdy, fine point permanent marker, you could use some sort of conter sinking drill bit and use it like a router. Like, lower it until it was drilling to the lines you've drawn, then lower it slowly while moving the silencer material, then raise it again to make the other side. Then polish the shit out of it! Hahaa.

Cody
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 5:18 am

A router, huh... that's actually not a bad idea. Not sure if Clunk has one, but I'm sure I could find one at my university.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 am

So long as you took your time and marked it out properly. Practice on some PVC.
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 am

I was tempted to make it out of PVC and then just spray paint it silver.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 10, 2011 5:35 am

Yep, would be the easiest way, but if you want it to look nice and shiny, PVC won't. Mauve Aluminium would, if you polished it properly. Hmm.. Brass comes up insanely nice if you know how to polish, but that's a browny gold colour.
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 am

You make a good point, aluminium would look niiiiice. Brass would look good, but be VERY hard to get into with a router. You'd probably kill at least one bit, if not two or three to do the whole job. Or am I thinking of bronze... I remember trying to work one of them and it killed the drill I was using...
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 10, 2011 6:34 am

I've never worked with bronze, so I wouldn't know. Brass isn't too bad, you were probably just using a crap still bit, which is pretty common. You wanna make sure you have a nice wall thickness, so you can get that eye shape. Otherwise you'll just get a shitty looking hole. I'd have a play around with it myself, but I don't have a drill press ):
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 am

yeh guys, let's not get too carried away!! lol

A router wouldn't have a hope in hell of doing this. It would just tear chunks out of the pvc. Way too many rpm's, and they bite too easily.

Maybe a milling machine or similar, but I don't have access to one. And, it's only cosmetic really.
    I'd probably look at standard fluted barrel, perhaps out of alu tube, but preferable pvc or similar. Chrome paint may be an option...
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 am

Heh, point taken. I think that a milling machine would be the only way to get it looking as it does in the picture. Tube with holes made by a drill press is probably our best option at this point. Damn, it really is easy to get carried away

EDIT: Had a *nice* idea. While the elongated indent would be very hard to do, what about a hole drilled all the way, through, then using a larger bore drill, just a minor crater around the smaller hole? Press it in just a little. Similar to when you want to allow a screw to sit flush in a piece of timber, you know?
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 10, 2011 7:20 am

Nahh, I meant use a still press with slow rpms with a conter sinking bit. Then use it sort of like a router, not exactly.
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 am

Countersink! That's the drillbit. Couldn't think of it's name for the life of me. Also, turns out that I just pulled that douchebag move of saying, "No, that's a terrible idea. But what if we *repeats the idea that was just dismissed as his own*!" from hollywood movies by misunderstanding your method, then thinking up an alternate way to do what you were suggesting. Heh.

If you have a drill press that had a set depth, then you could possibly press the tip in, and maybe... hmm. Depends on what the setup is. Ideally, you want a table that you can clamp the tube to, then move the table a set distance to get out just the right amount. But that could come out looking horribly uneven. I think maybe just a single press of the countersink to a set depth would look just as good for the barrel, if a little less streamlined, for MUCH less work.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 am

Yepp, one countersinking with a hole at the bottom would look great. Not hard, I've never seen a drill press without a depth setting and table adjustment. Aluminium is the way to go, then spend a lot of time cleaning it up, then polishing it.
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am

Hmm. I'll discuss pricing with my good friend Captain Clunk!

Also, if you've never seen a drill press like that, clearly you never went to a skeezy geelong highschool woodworkshop.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Tue May 10, 2011 9:48 am

Yes indeed. The only way to get one that perfect, is with a CNC Mill.

Go buy yourself one you know you want to!

- Brad
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 10, 2011 9:49 am

TheBradl3s wrote:Yes indeed. The only way to get one that perfect, is with a CNC Mill.

- Brad

Buying one isn't the issue mate. Learning how to use it is the biggest obstacle!! lol
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 9:54 am

I'm actually pretty good at using a milling machine. Gimme the dimensions of something and I can probably do you a milling program, or just do you a basic one. They're surprisingly easy to learn, especially to someone with a Degree in Magical Mechawizardly Wonders like yourself.

No, I didn't just make that up because I couldn't remember the specifics of Clunk's degree, that's really what he did at university.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 10, 2011 9:56 am

TheBradl3s wrote:Yes indeed. The only way to get one that perfect, is with a CNC Mill.

- Brad

Buying one isn't the issue mate. Learning how to use it is the biggest obstacle!! lol

LMAO - My uni degree was in paintball and drinking!
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 am

clunk07 wrote:

- Brad

LMAO - My uni degree was in paintball and drinking!

Well, that's what the fine print of that degree is. Of course, if you want to pass with honours, you need to get your pint skull-time to under 3 seconds.

EDIT: New question! See the 45 degree rounding at either end of the suppressor? Was wondering if anyone had suggestions about how that could be done.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 am

Easy. Belt sander, pedestal grinder, anything. Then like I said, a lot of fine cleaning up around every edge, then polish the bajesus out of it.

Metal lathe would make fast work of it, keep it very clean and smooth, but I don't know anyone that has one, personally. Starts getting a bit pricey again here..
    Kinetic Waffle
    Kinetic Waffle

Post  Kinetic Waffle Tue May 10, 2011 10:25 am

Ah, but how do you get it even all the way around? Using a belt sander can be a MOTHER ****** for getting an even angle.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 10, 2011 11:49 am

Kinetic Waffle wrote:Ah, but how do you get it even all the way around? Using a belt sander can be a MOTHER ****** for getting an even angle.

I could probably get a decent chamfer on the barrel with a bench grinder. My neighbour has a lathe, but I'm a little bit hesitant about making this out of aluminium. Finding tubing with a wall thickness suitable won't be easy, or cheap. And I'm not overly keen on wasting expensive material performing a task I haven't done before.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 am