If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)
Custom Search

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1917 registered users

The newest registered user is ShaGGz LMS

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

LEGAL OR NOT ?

TomaszBurcon

LEGAL OR NOT ?

Post  TomaszBurcon on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 am

Hi everyone, I was thinking of getting a laser pointer off ebay, For my nerf raider but i am not shore if they are legal or not?

Soo could someone tell me if i will get in trouble with customs?

ps. I live in nsw if that changes anything?
    Luke

Re: LEGAL OR NOT ?

Post  Luke on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:00 pm

redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I think the ones at Jaycar are under a certain intensity?
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm

All laser pointer's allowable in Australia must be 1mW or less.

I've had 12 seized by custom's, so I know my shit on this... haha

I've been unable to gain access to any, hence why I no longer offer them in commissions.

Cheers,
    TomaszBurcon

Post  TomaszBurcon on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

clunk07 wrote:All laser pointer's allowable in Australia must be 1mW or less.

I've had 12 seized by custom's, so I know my shit on this... haha

I've been unable to gain access to any, hence why I no longer offer them in commissions.

Cheers,

So i can buy one 1mw and i wont get in trouble?
    And what trouble did you get in for importing them?
    And =) why cant you offer them in commissions. Couldnt you just buy 1mW.
    Jeo

Post  Jeo on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:16 pm

If you can buy it locally, it's probably legal.
    Godspeed_22

Post  Godspeed_22 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Why does the jaycar website list a 10mW laser module?
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:22 pm

That's quite surprising, Jaycar wouldn't sell something illegal?
    Unknown

Post  Unknown on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:23 pm

A typo perhaps?

Eclipse

Post  Eclipse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Godspeed_22 wrote:Why does the jaycar website list a 10mW laser module?

I just saw that. No idea. Maybe because it isn't a pointer, and is a module on it's own? I don't know...

My friend and I have both bought one of 1mw laser modules and can vouvh for their effectiveness. All your ever going to need, and it's only $18.
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I buy red laser module's, not crappy red laser lights. It's becoming near impossible to find them under 1mW.

Custom's just send you a letter the first couple of times. I wouldn't like to push it with them though. I'd say the next time, the letter would be hand-delivered by the constabulary.

Cheers,

Post  238232 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:27 pm

The laws regarding possession pertains to hand held battery operated laser pointers, not lasers in general. Given that laser modules don't have any power source and may be made into hand held or stationary laser pointers, they aren't illegal. Granted, given how simple it is to make one with that laser module the law's a bit silly in that regards, but then again think of the legal nightmare if they banned things simply because they *could* be made into something illegal. Anyone with a saw and a file can probably make half of the knives listed in the Weapons Prohibition Act.

Customs is a different kettle of fish and often make even more arbitrary decisions than the state police. Given the flexibility with the regulations I've seen them exhibit, it wouldn't surprise me if they lump the modules in the same basket as the completed devices.

Oh, umm... to heck with that puny 10 mW one from Jaycar, if you've got the cash...

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0105158

Last edited by 238232 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Eclipse

Post  Eclipse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

clunk07 wrote:I buy red laser module's, not crappy red laser lights. It's becoming near impossible to find them under 1mW.

Custom's just send you a letter the first couple of times. I wouldn't like to push it with them though. I'd say the next time, the letter would be hand-delivered by the constabulary.

Cheers,

These aren't laser lights, their the real deal. $18 dollars at Jaycar here.
    royal86

Post  royal86 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I have bought x2 laser pointers with pressure switches, about 2 months ago, off eBay from a dude in Taiwan.

Both 1mW rating and received them about 5 days later.

Godspeed_22

Post  Godspeed_22 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

royal86 wrote:I have bought x2 laser pointers with pressure switches, about 2 months ago, off eBay from a dude in Taiwan.

Both 1mW rating and received them about 5 days later.

Do you have a link? How are they?
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm

danerfdude wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:I buy red laser module's, not crappy red laser lights. It's becoming near impossible to find them under 1mW.

Cheers,

These aren't laser lights, their the real deal. $18 dollars at Jaycar here.

Next time, read my post, don't skim. I said I use red laser modules.

$18 for a module, plus a 4.5v power source, just doesn't cut it for me. By the time I mounted it, added extra components (holder, snap, wiring etc), I'd have to charge $50 to do one for a commission. You can get a very fancy RDS for that, and not have to worry about wowser's carrying on about blinding people.

Cheers,
    whichgrep

Post  whichgrep on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Godspeed_22 wrote:Why does the jaycar website list a 10mW laser module?

Sorry to go on about it, but this is important.

Kiddies, don't get that one as a sight for your nerf guns.

That laser from Jaycar looks like a Class 2+ laser and is not a toy. It is not eye safe.

The spec sheet says the M2 is < 1.2 and the spectral linewidth is < 0.1 nm, which means in plain English that it's very bright and well focussed.

That's the type of laser that they might use in high school physics classes; to produce holograms; or for pretty decorations at rock concerts and the like. This class of laser is designed for use by professionals who know what they are doing.

For playing around with your mates, get a laser < 1mW. If you can, get one marked "Class 1" or "Class 1M". Class 2 and Class2M lasers can be eye-safe, but often aren't. If you must get a class 2 laser, diffuse it with a lens and always be aware that it's probably not eye-safe. Don't stare into the beam and don't shine it at people's faces.

Sunglasses and welding glasses, even black arc-welding glasses, won't protect your eyes from laser light. If you are working or playing with lasers, get proper protective glasses (for example: not an advertisement) -- and be aware that they only protect against specific wavelengths ("colours") of light -- so glasses for red lasers won't protect against green lasers.

Be safe, guys.
    UtahR

Post  UtahR on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:29 pm

At $99 each, you'd be nut to use it as a sight for a nerf gun anyway.
    I didn't have any trouble importing a 5 milliwatt laser module from China, apart from the carrier pigeon they use for Airmail was very slow
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:32 pm

UtahR wrote:At $99 each, you'd be nut to use it as a sight for a nerf gun anyway.
    I didn't have any trouble importing a 5 milliwatt laser module from China, apart from the carrier pigeon they use for Airmail was very slow

Yeh, it all depends on what the supplier lists on the custom's declaration, and how the custom's guy is feeling on the day...

I've had over 20 x 5mW laser modules confiscated by custom's, in 3 separate parcels in the one week.

The first two just had a nice little letter letting me know what was going on. The third letter was rather more objective, listing the legal rammifications if I continued to try and import a prohibited item.

Cheers,
    UtahR

Post  UtahR on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:54 pm

I think the customs guy must have looked at the price on the deceleration and went "Nah..."
    dy88

Post  dy88 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 pm

You should try looking around in markets. If you're near the city area, you can search there.

By law, lasers that have a rating <1mW are legal, anything above is illegal. I asked ebay and you're able to buy green/red lasers <1mW but they'd be rubbish. They must have the rating sticker on it stating <1Mw Class 1 etc

There's always a situation that if you're lucky enough, customs won't check it thoroughly and it'll get through.
    Another alternative would be http://laserpointerforums.com/ a user 'jayrob' builds great laser pointers minus the laser module/diode, you could source your own from a ps3 (blue/uv) or a dvd/cd player (red.

Hope this helps

clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeh, be careful utilising parts from other electronic devices. I've seen people accidentally use the laser from a dvd burner, thinking it was just a normal dvd rom. Not very cool result at the end of the day.

Cheers,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clunk Weapons Co. Blaster-smith Services:
    Commissions offered on Stampede, LongShot, Spectre, LED Maverick.

CWC Blaster-smith Services
    CWC Custom Paint
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:32 am

clunk07 wrote:Yeh, be careful utilising parts from other electronic devices. I've seen people accidentally use the laser from a dvd burner, thinking it was just a normal dvd rom. Not very cool result at the end of the day.

Cheers,
    What happened
    bleh741

Post  bleh741 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:53 am

its illegal to import any more than 1mw lasers but you can buy 200mw laser diodes and import them and its not illegal (my cousin did it ). so all you need to start is a case really but when my cousin did this it was like 2004-2005 so the law may have changed

but don't go of just my thoughts and experiences check what the law has to say on it

hope i helped
    mull

Post  mull on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am

bulletproofvest wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:Yeh, be careful utilising parts from other electronic devices. I've seen people accidentally use the laser from a dvd burner, thinking it was just a normal dvd rom. Not very cool result at the end of the day.

Cheers,
    What happened
    DVD-ROM reading lasers are usually not stronger than 5 mW, but writing lasers can peak at about 100-400 mW (ie. a heck of a lot more powerful).
    At this power range, I'm going to expect some observations of a "not very cool result".

Just don't do it, as it is very easy to be careless, and underestimate the hazard that the light can cause.

bleh741 wrote:its illegal to import any more than 1mw lasers but you can buy 200mw laser diodes and import them and its not illegal (my cousin did it ). so all you need to start is a case really but when my cousin did this it was like 2004-2005 so the law may have changed
    I would have to strickly say "NO" to this.
    Anything above 100mW can cause PERMANENT eye damage.

Sure, it's going to be harder and more expensive to get, making the suggestion less likely to be viable.
    However, I am certainly not open to people encouraging dodgy and dangerous plausible ideas here.
    bleh741

Post  bleh741 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 am

yeah oops i may have over exaggerated a tad then
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm

haha Mull, I see you got my cryptic message - not very cool indeed!! lol

Cheers,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clunk Weapons Co. Blaster-smith Services:
    Commissions offered on Stampede, LongShot, Spectre, LED Maverick.

CWC Blaster-smith Services
    CWC Custom Paint
    whichgrep

Post  whichgrep on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 pm

...DVD-ROM reading lasers are usually not stronger than 5 mW, but writing lasers can peak at about 100-400 mW
    Anything above 100mW can cause PERMANENT eye damage.

Permanent eye damage can occur at power levels as small as 2mW; the wavelength ("colour"), the M2 factor (roughly: how accurately the beam is focussed), and spectral linewidth (very approximately: coherency and precision of the beam) also play a large part.

Just don't do it, as it is very easy to be careless, and underestimate the hazard that the light can cause.

Indeed. Be very careful here, too: many lasers from optical drives utilise invisible laser radiation, so it's entirely possible to receive eye damage and be completely unaware of it, while thinking that the unit is unpowered. As the man said, "Just don't do it".

it's illegal to import any more than 1mW lasers

Not true; there are many legal reasons to import and own powerful lasers; but it's unwise and totally unnecessary for our purposes in this game.

Some very good articles here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety
    http://www.rp-photonics.com/m2_factor.html
    http://www.rp-photonics.com/linewidth.html
    UtahR

Post  UtahR on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Reading though the classes, it seems that I may have stuck Class 3R into my recon red-dot sight.
    whichgrep

Post  whichgrep on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 pm

oops! What power is it? Did it come with a data sheet telling you the specs?

My suggestion would be to either:

• put a lens in front, like the nitefinder has in front of the LED, to spread the beam.
    • put some kind of diffuser in front, such as frosted or patterned plastic, to spread the beam

For most lower-powered lasers (ie, not welding or cutting lasers), in general, once the beam is spread, the potential for eye damage is vastly reduced, provided that the beam is truly spread into a cone, degrading the coherency, and not just split into multiple coherent beams aimed in different directions.
    TomaszBurcon

Post  TomaszBurcon on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for all the input guys,
    I have just purchased a 1mw green laser pointer.
    Keats

Post  Keats on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 pm

The ones we sell at Jaycar are under a special circumstance. People such as star gazers use them for alignment of telescopes etc..
    They are not allowed to be sold as a ready working kit for use by your normal consumer, but sales of the laser diode itself it permitted. It is something that you have to be super careful with..

On a side note, if you want a REALLY cool sight, and think you are responsible enough to use it (key point), try get your hands on an old blu-ray player or PS3. The diodes in there are an intense visible blue and look amazing.
    Nooft1187

Legal or not

Post  Nooft1187 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 am

I juts ordered a red dot attachment that is soposed to attach to a scope from ebay. There from a store in sydney so I would assume that should be legal

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 am