Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+6
clunk07
armoss
Silent Scope
-mirsho
Swatsonia
WV17
10 posters

Tactical gear

WV17
    WV17

Tactical gear Empty Tactical gear

Post  WV17 Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 am

Yes, tactical gear.... maybe a bit of a controversial topic

But:
    - Who uses it?
    - What do you use?
    - Where is a good place to get it?
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Tactical gear Empty Re: Tactical gear

Post  Swatsonia Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 am

I use tactical gear quite a bit.

Thankfully in WA, we have a player who is a private security contractor, and as such is able to source up to half-priced milspec stuff for us.

I have a MOLLE vest, with Winchester .300 mag pouches (fit 2-3 6 mags perfectly), a Condor pistol holster, a smoke grenade pouch, and a random haversack/dump pouch I found at a surplus store.
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 am

I wouldn't say its a controversial topic, but I'd say that people who use a lot of clips would use tac vests/rigs. I like to stay away from tac vests though, seeing as they're just not my cup of tea, so to speak. But I do know that most tac gear is purchased on eBay.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 am

I currently pack an ALICE harness with a M1956 belt, 2x M16 pouches (holds 3 CS clips each), M1956 buttpack, and M1956 compass pouch complimented with a drop-leg holster which can hold a Sharpshooter II.

Tactical gear Dsc00379we
    armoss
    armoss

Post  armoss Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:05 am

yeah what mirsho said ebay is the go i was looking at them the other day and the ones from hong kong are like 50 bucks including postage and they look good quality and have from swat style to army style
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:08 am

The trick when buying pouches etc, is to make sure that you have the right sizing for your clips.

6s can fit in many generic pouches, 18s are more of a challenge, however, and are more suited to storage pouches.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:08 am

Hey SS,

How do you rate the alice harness?

I've heard alot of good and bad...

Cheers,
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 am

Your millage may vary.

From somebody who doesn't have the professional experience in using it, I can't give a direct and definite approval of using the gear. I do very much like using such genuine gear, and it feels comfortable for me but I find that the costs of making/buying one as opposed to the cheaper knockoff alternatives with more modern designs will put off the younger nerfer. The M16 pouches, for instance, can't hold the CS clips without modification (and if you did the same practice of cutting the straps back on base, you'd be belted by the CO) and the 18-round sticks make pouch cover chafe against you body.

I don't mind it for what it's worth (yes, it make me looks the tits and I find it comfortable), but it's not for everyone.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:37 am

I've put up with it for more than 12 hours a day for 5 days straight of hiking, marching and sneaking on a few occasions.
    Now this was when I was smaller framed, a decade ago.

Considering that the full kit consisted of 2 x 1L water bottles, a day's worth of rations, toiletries, rain gear and a few other tools and items; it was okay, I guess.
    Sometimes combined with backpack, with sleeping and shelter gear, spare items of clothing, an entrenching tool and other items.
    The chest rig I replace the ALICE harness kit is craploads better and came with hydration pack with more capacity (feels a lot lighter, even if carrying more stuff).

For Nerfing purposes, and factoring costs involved, the ALICE harness kit is quite satisfactory.
    I just don't like them, that's all. It's something personal.

Comfort has got a lot to do with the correct adjustment and weight distribution, with your own body frame.
    Getting a harness belt padding will prevent those damned metal ALICE clips from rubbing against your body.
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 am

Comfort is definitely a major factor in tac gear selection. If you are able to, try some stuff on first, test fit clips etc.

If you are using the internet, then obviously you don't have the luxury, so make sure you get the measurements right.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 am

Tact gear I think is useful in the larger scale events where you need to carry more ammo. I'm a half / half fan on them. I only use them if I use them for larger scale wars. For example, my current vest can hold four AT drums. On in each pouch and relatively snug.

With the 'smaller' vests such as the one I displayed below. You can actually mod them to fit AT drums nicely. No wobble, no drop out.

Tactical gear ST26C2T

For the time being, I'm pretty set on an RSCB, so I just wear my utility pouch and pistol holster... which leads me to a quick question, who actually takes out their secondary pistol in a war? I've never had to, only once when I was using my Big Blast and I was goign to be rushed.
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 am

I personally only take pistols out when i want a single, more accurate shot, or if I know I can scare someone with it.

Otherwise, it's just a reassuring weight on my hip/vest that I have that extra shot.
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am

I picked up some ALICE gear at a garage sale, I got the harness, belt, the bumbag-pack-thing at the back and three canteen holders. I find the harness is too small for me, (for some reason it just doesn't fit those who are 6'4" :P) so I use the belt with the canteen holders holding about 4 clips each and I have my sidearm in an imitation MOLLE airsoft holster I picked up from Paddy's markets. (Seriously, you can buy just about anything there :D). I also use the NERF bandolier.
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 am

Well, from my last two avatars, you should be able to get some idea of my rig:

Tactical gear Avatar10

Tactical gear Sunday10
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 am

Yeh, I was more looking at the comfort factor, for application's predominantly outside of Nerf.

ie: hunting pigs etc.

Thanks for the info, gives me a few more points to consider.

Cheers,
    scarius
    scarius

Post  scarius Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:39 pm

You guys might trying going into an army disposals type of place, have a chat with the guys behind the counter and have a look at the items. Another good idea would be to bring in some of the nerf clips that you will be using and ask the guys if you can try them put in the different pouches so you can see what would work.

Most of the people who work at these stores that I have had dealings with are pretty cool about such things as long as you're straight up with them.

eBay is always a good place to look because it's alot cheaper then going to the Australian stores, but with eBay I have noticed that you really do get what you payed for.

I can't remember the websites and as I am on my iPhone I can't do a quick search and then copy paste them up, but googe: egalmarine, 511, LA police gear, platattack, sord, kit bag, aus webgear.
    That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Also I would be more then happy to answer questions

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am