If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)
Custom Search

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1917 registered users

The newest registered user is ShaGGz LMS

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar Calendar


    working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Share
    avatar
    spacephrawg

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2011-05-20
    Age : 35
    Location : MA, USA

    working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  spacephrawg on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:56 pm




    It will fit onto a clipped down Recon stock and has space in side for an extra spring if you want to give your gun a power stock. It is 24cm long, a couple longer than the recon stock, aft of the part that fits onto the back of the gun.

    It is based on the stock from the FG42.

    It will be CNC'd in walnut and hand-oiled. The goal is to make about ten of these and add them to modified N-strike guns which will have internal mods courtesy of Orange Mod Works. The guns will be repainted with vinyl dye and acrylic. The goal is to approximate this look:

    ]


    I didn't make it. Its from ~PanzerForge on Deviant art.

    I plan to make a few other variations, including one based on the MG42 stock, but less curvy.

    The finish will be a dark reddish brown.

    I will probably be selling the modified guns on Etsy or at conventions. I'm not the biggest fan of Ebay.

    The render is purple only because that's the layer I'm working on and the layers in Rhino are color coded. Its not unlike photoshop in concept.

    I need your input and suggestions. This model as you see here is pretty much done however. What I would like to know is if you think it is too curvy. The curve, like I said, is inspired by the FG-42 mk2's stock. It looks pretty darn good on that. I would likely put this stock on a Recon rather than, say, an alpha trooper. For an AT i was thinking of something a bit more like what you'd see on a SAW gun but straighter, with less of a down angle.

    I might produce one or two other cosmetic doodads for these guns including iron sights and muzzle brakes. Depending on how much it costs to have them CNC'd or printed that is. I expect the guns would go for around 150 or more. Convention-going nerds are known to shell out big bucks for cool things. That's the hope. If I have to sell for a lot less that's fine but i won't go below 100 USD.

    I can post other views of this thing later if you request. I hope you like it!
    avatar
    Rictus

    Posts : 29
    Join date : 2011-04-12
    Location : Adelaide, SA (Age 22)

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  Rictus on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:08 pm

    I think the concept is admirable, and I like the style, but if I were you, I'd make it look less realistic. Remember, gun laws just tightened up again, and realism is not recommened in toys, for the safety of users. Don't forget as well, that wood is heavy compared to plastic. You'll be disrupting the balance of the gun quite a bit, so take that into account with your design.


    Last edited by Rictus on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : General Corrections)
    avatar
    spacephrawg

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2011-05-20
    Age : 35
    Location : MA, USA

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  spacephrawg on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 pm

    Rictus wrote:I think the concept is admirable, and I like the style, but if I were you, I'd make it look less realistic. remember, gun laws just tightened up again, and realism is not recommened in toys, for the safety of users. Don't forget as well, that wood is heavy compared to plastic. You'll be disrupting the balance of the gun quite a bit, so take that into account with your design.

    well, the gun laws in Australia anyway.

    I appreciate your advice. Thing is the Raider stock and the supersoaker stocks are awfully realistic. Between that and the thing on Deviant Art, I thought this concept was kosher.

    The target market is cosplayers, LARPers, and rich nerds, and hopefully responsible nerfers. Not just any old kid, though there's nothing wrong with kids having nerf guns as we can all agree I'm sure.

    Can you offer some suggestions to reduce the realism?
    avatar
    Silent Scope

    Posts : 510
    Join date : 2010-07-01
    Age : 29
    Location : Greenvale, Victoria, Australia

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  Silent Scope on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:42 pm

    The process in which you designed your stock is very promising. Aside from any legal ramifications this stock design may have in our community, I think it is too curvy to complement the military motif of the N-Strike series. All is not lost; you can modernise it by adjusting the top part of the stock into a flat plane and making a M60E3-style stock to keep that modern look whilst keeping its FG42 heritage.



    Last edited by Silent Scope on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total


    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HELL YEAH ULTIMATE STREET CRED YO!

    Give back to your fellow member and buy his wares. All profits stay in Australia, tune up my VR SS V8, and more.
    In case you're curious about my WTB requests or my Triple Shot products.

    Don't worry, I've compiled a list so far of us VIC crew here, yo.

    Also, can you people start putting titles in PMs? I can't be bothered trying to figure out what the subject and context is within a PM.

    Now a proud owner of a Holden VR Commodore SS V8 with a stage 2 shifter, VVVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!
    avatar
    Rictus

    Posts : 29
    Join date : 2011-04-12
    Location : Adelaide, SA (Age 22)

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  Rictus on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 pm

    If your target audience is LARPers or similar, you may find a steam punk style aesthetic would be popular, as they're the sort most likely to be carrying guns, as opposed to giant foam swords. Effects such as patinated brassing or bronzed looks would work well, as well as excessively large scopes and similar, all thse go well with steampunk themes. If you go scifi, make it futuristic, and again, accessorised. The only thing I would not suggest is modern day realism. Firstly, because of the replica laws, which have just been tightened in Victoria in particular, and secondly, because most LARP groups don't actually allow realistic objects for the same reason as Nerfing. You're right - the Raider stocks and a lot of tohers are quite realistic, but have the "advantage" of being bright blue or yellow. A lot of LARP groups state any "weapon" like objects must be bedecked in fluorescent orange. Including in America, although I suspect that varies from state to state.

    PS - I know a crap tonne of steam-punkers who like steam'punked nerf guns. There's definitely a market, even if it's niche.
    avatar
    spacephrawg

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2011-05-20
    Age : 35
    Location : MA, USA

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  spacephrawg on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm

    Silent Scope wrote:The process in which you designed your stock is very promising. Aside from any legal ramifications this stock design may have in our community, I think it is too curvy to complement the military motif of the N-Strike series. All is not lost; you can modernise it by adjusting the top part of the stock into a flat plane and making a M60E3-style stock to keep that modern look whilst keeping its FG42 heritage.

    ]

    Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Originally I wanted to make this for the Recon. My philosophy in everything i create is "if I ran the show..." I used to be one of those guys who complained about art design in movies and such and then it occurred to me I should shut up and make something instead of complaining. I design everything I do because what already exists doesn't satisfy me. So that Deviant Art gun inspired me but at the same time I was thinking "yeah well I'm gonna do this my way and I'll like it better." The FG42 is an aesthetic favorite of mine so I was hoping it would work for this. I have no problem redoing it a bunch of different ways. I like working in series.

    What if I just made the shape transitions sharper? Its awfully soft-looking as it is.

    If i make it look too modern it may not look good if made out of wood. Other materials aren't economic.

    Rictus wrote:If your target audience is LARPers or similar, you may find a steam punk style aesthetic would be popular, as they're the sort most likely to be carrying guns, as opposed to giant foam swords. Effects such as patinated brassing or bronzed looks would work well, as well as excessively large scopes and similar, all thse go well with steampunk themes. If you go scifi, make it futuristic, and again, accessorised. The only thing I would not suggest is modern day realism. Firstly, because of the replica laws, which have just been tightened in Victoria in particular, and secondly, because most LARP groups don't actually allow realistic objects for the same reason as Nerfing. You're right - the Raider stocks and a lot of tohers are quite realistic, but have the "advantage" of being bright blue or yellow. A lot of LARP groups state any "weapon" like objects must be bedecked in fluorescent orange. Including in America, although I suspect that varies from state to state.

    PS - I know a crap tonne of steam-punkers who like steam'punked nerf guns. There's definitely a market, even if it's niche.

    Not sure how i feel about steampunked nerf guns. The guns all look like they're right out of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex when painted. They don't look like they're from Jules Verne. Its a pity there isn't a Nerf equivalent of a Weta ray gun. I'm no engineer so I couldn't make one of those, though I'd like to one day.

    I hear there are some plans you can get for home-made guns that shoot nerf darts. I saw one or two finished ones on youtube once, made of CNC'd plastic. They're just not the right shape though.


    Edited by Clunk. Please refrain from double-posting, and utilise the edit function.
    avatar
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Posts : 2953
    Join date : 2011-02-02
    Age : 37
    Location : Blackwater, Queensland

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  clunk07 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm

    Looks like a good idea mate, but I'm in the same boat as SS with the minor changes. I think you'd benefit from that, but just my opinion. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

    Cheers,
    avatar
    spacephrawg

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2011-05-20
    Age : 35
    Location : MA, USA

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  spacephrawg on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 pm

    thanks for your support and input. I will make adjustments and post them soon
    avatar
    bulletproofvest

    Posts : 508
    Join date : 2010-05-29
    Age : 21
    Location : Adelaide Hills

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  bulletproofvest on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:07 pm

    I've been thinking about carving a stock out for a Nerf gun... May be too bulky though. Not very appealing to the public either, unless painting it like this
    1, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/3490311960_c2bdbe2130.jpg
    2, http://www.portablegadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hello_kitty_ak47_1.jpg
    3, http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hello-kitty-xm8.jpg
    4, http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
    ...or this http://members.shaw.ca/tmcveigh/Projects/GunRights/images/striker.jpg. Oh wait, maybe not that one

    Anyway, good luck, please post a pic when done as I am interested
    avatar
    spacephrawg

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2011-05-20
    Age : 35
    Location : MA, USA

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  spacephrawg on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

    bulletproofvest wrote:I've been thinking about carving a stock out for a Nerf gun... May be too bulky though. Not very appealing to the public either, unless painting it like this
    1, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/3490311960_c2bdbe2130.jpg
    2, http://www.portablegadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hello_kitty_ak47_1.jpg
    3, http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hello-kitty-xm8.jpg
    4, http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
    ...or this http://members.shaw.ca/tmcveigh/Projects/GunRights/images/striker.jpg. Oh wait, maybe not that one

    Anyway, good luck, please post a pic when done as I am interested

    An XM8?! LOL wow.

    just now I was thinking I might be able to get some mileage out of making the whole thing white like the Whiteout nerf guns but with better trim.
    avatar
    bulletproofvest

    Posts : 508
    Join date : 2010-05-29
    Age : 21
    Location : Adelaide Hills

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  bulletproofvest on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 pm

    spacephrawg wrote:
    bulletproofvest wrote:I've been thinking about carving a stock out for a Nerf gun... May be too bulky though. Not very appealing to the public either, unless painting it like this
    1, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/3490311960_c2bdbe2130.jpg
    2, http://www.portablegadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hello_kitty_ak47_1.jpg
    3, http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hello-kitty-xm8.jpg
    4, http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
    ...or this http://members.shaw.ca/tmcveigh/Projects/GunRights/images/striker.jpg. Oh wait, maybe not that one

    Anyway, good luck, please post a pic when done as I am interested

    An XM8?! LOL wow.

    just now I was thinking I might be able to get some mileage out of making the whole thing white like the Whiteout nerf guns but with better trim.

    Yeah I know haha, it would probably be fake though

    Sponsored content

    Re: working on a wooden stock for N-strike guns in Rhino4 - input needed

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 am