Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
melbnerf619
RL
Swatsonia
clunk07
8 posters

Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine Empty Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine

Post  clunk07 Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:50 am

My BT Metal Magazine arrived today.

Comparison with an 18-rd Stampede Clip:

Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine Dsc_1512

First impressions:

* Well manufactured
    * Light-weight
    * Nice high-vis orange/copper

Specifications:

* Metal Construction
    * 12-rd capacity
    * $40 AUD approx, plus p&h costs
    * Accepts Streamline's, Heavy sili's, blue foam, pink foam, 6g snap cap's

Applications:

* Limited success with Brass-breeched LongShot. To be honest, I tried it once at the end of the testing, and wasn't overly keen on the amount of pressure required to get the clip to connect to the breech. Had a few darts get jammed, which doesn't happen with standard Nerf clips.

* Limited success in a stock Alpha Trooper. The clip doesn't seem to be very secure when the breech is opened. Any slight bump, and the clip falls out. When the breech is closed however, the clip is very secure.

* Limited success in 3 x modified Stampede's (AR, spring, voltage increase etc). In 1 blaster, the clip worked exactly like a standard Nerf clip. But, in the other 2, it was rather difficult to feed the clip in to the magazine well. Once it was in the well though, it functioned normally, and was very secure.

* When tested in a stock LongStrike, modified Longstrike (AR and spring), stock Raider, modified Raider (AR and spring), the clip functioned exactly the same as a standard Nerf clip, very secure etc.

Apart from the BBLS, I've experienced no issues with dart feed jams etc. Although, the dart riser spring seems to be significantly weaker than standard Nerf clip. But, it doesn't appear to affect performance.

My personal opinion - a bit expensive for what it is. Yes, it's manufactured superbly, and is finished rather well. It will definitely take a bit of rough play, which is obviously the major benefit. But you could buy 3-4 Stampede clips/AT drums for a similar price.

The compatibility issues with various blaster's is a bit of a downfall too. For the coin involved, I wouldn't recommend using it with a BBLS, and home-made pvc/conduit/petg breeches may also have problems.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has similar issues with the clip security in various blaster's. The fact that the clip doesn't secure properly in stock/modified AT's, yet works fine in Raider/Longstrike's is rather intriguing.

Cheers,
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine Empty Re: Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine

Post  Swatsonia Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:04 am

Seems pretty long for a 12 mag.

Shame about the feeding issues and whatnot, but at least it adds some 'bling'
    RL
    RL

Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine Empty Re: Black Tactical - Aureus Alpha - NERF Heavy Duty Metal Magazine

Post  RL Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:53 am

I'd say the fact that it's metal, and not plastic hinders it's ability to be a bit tolerant around the home-made breeches (PVC or brass).
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:02 am

Looks like I'm not going bling. Thanks Clunk for the honest review. We needed it.

-James
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:07 am

Although, the mid-ranged size is nice. I guess it's just down to individual blaster tolerances, really.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:12 pm

It's definitely got the bling factor!! I'm glad I've got one, but more so for dick-waving, rather than practical applications...

Yep, being metal, stretching it over home-made breeches isn't going to end well. At least the plastic on std clips will stretch, and return again to almost normal alignment.

I feel that the metal will bend, and not return to original alignment. Panel-beating it back in to shape will be easy, but will definitely fatigue the metal...

Cheers,
    XxDrAg0nxX
    XxDrAg0nxX

Post  XxDrAg0nxX Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:38 am

* Limited success with Brass-breeched LongShot. To be honest, I tried it once at the end of the testing, and wasn't overly keen on the amount of pressure required to get the clip to connect to the breech. Had a few darts get jammed, which doesn't happen with standard Nerf clips.

Thats because your metal breach was aligned and built around the offset and 'play' of the plastic mag.
    The metal mag is more precise, the breach needs to be aligned more precisely to fit the metal mag
    IF done properly, you will end up with a more efficient breach because everything will be straight from end to tip, and also ultimately improving the accuracy.
    In your case i think you are doing the non-conventional way of plastic lip stretching over the breach, rather than the breach clearing the lip when the charging bolt is pulled back.

* Limited success in a stock Alpha Trooper. The clip doesn't seem to be very secure when the breech is opened. Any slight bump, and the clip falls out. When the breech is closed however, the clip is very secure.

The stupid Alpha Trooper was one bloody special weird locking mech.
    Again cos metal mag is more precise, we had it cut so that it will fit ALL OTHER magazine wells PERFECTLY with no movement play.
    so it was 1 alpha trooper model vs everything else, so of course we decided to make it a perfect fit for everything else.
    The problem is the stupid Alpha trooper catch was extra big, HOWEVER a nail file on this alpha catch solves this problem within seconds.

* Limited success in 3 x modified Stampede's (AR, spring, voltage increase etc). In 1 blaster, the clip worked exactly like a standard Nerf clip. But, in the other 2, it was rather difficult to feed the clip in to the magazine well. Once it was in the well though, it functioned normally, and was very secure.

Yup again cos its very precise.. if u notice when u load the magazine in, there is very little or no movement play at all 8).
    We made it so precise so that the magazine will be MORE STABLE inside modified METAL breaches.
    Originally Metal Breaches + Plastic mags will give u problems when u have misalignment of the plastic mag.
    Now with this metal mag giving u no play, it will give you more stable and precise round feeding and chambering.

* When tested in a stock LongStrike, modified Longstrike (AR and spring), stock Raider, modified Raider (AR and spring), the clip functioned exactly the same as a standard Nerf clip, very secure etc.
    Yup yup as sexplained above, The precision engineering was geared to fit the mainstream bulk of the guns thats why

Hope you guys understand what the heck i am talking about, and clarifies why this mag was engineered this way
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:32 am

Fair enough but the raging and bolding and massive writing isn't neceassary. My head hurts

-James
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:30 pm

@XxDrAg0nxX

Yes, I'm using the conventional method of a half-pipe brass breech. This is my preferred method, as I would rather have more surface area to stick the orange bolt-sled nub to.

It's a review mate, so I'm going to be honest, especially for the price-tag. Brass-breeched Longshot's and modded AT's appear to be the most common clip-fed blaster's in use over here, so I feel that people need to be aware of these issues before forking out $50+ AUD for a clip that's going to have limited functionality.

I do fully understand the precision behind making the magazine - I was a boiler-maker/fabricator for a number of years, and I do appreciate the quality of workmanship.

I did mention a couple of times in my review about the fantastic quality of the clip, so don't think that I was trying to deter people in any which way from purchasing it. I'm pretty sure I also asked for other people's review's, just to confirm that I wasn't the only person experiencing the compatibility issues.

I'll probably make a pump-action gripped LShot with wrxloonie's grip, a BTV2 spring, and utilise the metal magazine. Maybe a LongSingaShot?!?

Cheers,

melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:41 pm

clunk07 wrote:
    I'll probably make a pump-action gripped LShot with wrxloonie's grip, a BTV2 spring, and utilise the metal magazine. Maybe a LongSingaShot?!?

Cheers,

or a Lots'A'CashShot?

-James
    XxDrAg0nxX
    XxDrAg0nxX

Post  XxDrAg0nxX Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:20 pm

clunk07 wrote:@XxDrAg0nxX

Yes, I'm using the conventional method of a half-pipe brass breech. This is my preferred method, as I would rather have more surface area to stick the orange bolt-sled nub to.

It's a review mate, so I'm going to be honest, especially for the price-tag. Brass-breeched Longshot's and modded AT's appear to be the most common clip-fed blaster's in use over here, so I feel that people need to be aware of these issues before forking out $50+ AUD for a clip that's going to have limited functionality.

I do fully understand the precision behind making the magazine - I was a boiler-maker/fabricator for a number of years, and I do appreciate the quality of workmanship.

I did mention a couple of times in my review about the fantastic quality of the clip, so don't think that I was trying to deter people in any which way from purchasing it. I'm pretty sure I also asked for other people's review's, just to confirm that I wasn't the only person experiencing the compatibility issues.

Cheers,

No worries I understand, I am just explaining to those who want to know why its done this way

I have similar queries from other customers, so its easier to sexplain here and direct everyone here to read / learn / understand how it works
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Too easy mate,

That's what we're all about!!

Cheers,
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Not sure about where you are in QLD, Clunk, but in Victorian wars, the Raider appears more often than the Alpha, at least recently. I don't recall ever seeing a brass breeched Longshot down here, either.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 pm

States that use dart hire are probably more likely to have the BBLS' and alpha troopers. They are very common here in QLD, in fact, most Longshots have a brass breech.

States without dart hire are likely to have more blasters that do not use clips, to add to that, from what I've seen QLD uses a tonne more cover so that rushing is strongly encouraged. That is not the case with most wars from other states, at least that I've seen.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

XxDrAg0nxX wrote:
    Yup yup as sexplained above,

I like the way you role

Lol.

The 12 Dart capacity does seem appealing to me though. It can be a pain with the wobbling of a 18 dart clip.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Brunius wrote:Not sure about where you are in QLD, Clunk, but in Victorian wars, the Raider appears more often than the Alpha, at least recently. I don't recall ever seeing a brass breeched Longshot down here, either.

haha - yeh, I forgot to put in Qld. Just realised that it could be perceived as Australia in general.

Mind you, I'm predominantly working on pic's from the Brisbane wars etc.

And more so, referring to blaster's that the 12-round magazine would be a bonus for. Obviously, the 18-rd AT drums is a winner in most clip-fed blaster's, apart from Raider's and Stampede's. But, yeh, the sturdiness of the 12-round clip is far superior to the extended Stampede clips.

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am