Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement

Jeo
    Jeo

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement Empty Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement

Post  Jeo Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:44 pm

So I've noticed that while we have a bunch of really good mod guides on here, we're fairly lacking in the very basic 'first timer' style mods. Sure they're posted in 48 different locations all over the net and I'm sure you could fine 47 of those through Google, but I'm going to post a few simple ones here over the next few weeks just to make life easier for our new comers. All of my walk throughs will also make it onto my blog (Foam Dart Goodness) eventually so please check it out too. Hope you enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The humble Nerf Raider; widely dismissed by the hardcore nerfers of the world but my personal blaster of choice for most situations. First up, no, it isn’t a LongShot. It will not hit your magical 30m mark, nor will it leave welts. For your average Joe however, it will tick all the boxes for a simple, easy to use, well stocked, mid range blaster, that’s also quite straight forward to perform a few simple mods on. It’s what I recommend to practically any new player who asks me and it comes with the wonderful 35 round drum mag.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement 374538_b

Today I’ll quickly run you through an air restictor removal (commonly know as an AR mod) and we’ll chuck in an aftermarket spring while we’re at it. I used the Black Tactical V2 spring myself, but there a whole range of aftermarket springs out there. This is a relatively simple mod to do and certainly one easy enough for a first timer to attempt.

The tools/consumables I used for this mod were…

A small phillips head screwdriver
    A hand drill, complete with extra long drill bit
    A long, round hand file
    Telfon tape
    A dremel, with grinding wheel (only needed for this particular spring)
    Black Tactical V2 spring

First up grab yourself the blaster, a clean working area and a small container to put all the loose screws in. I’m a big fan of spray paint can lids just because I have a lot of them floating around, but really practically anything will work. Grab your screwdriver and remove the two screws holding the end cap on.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2931

There should then be five screws holding the front handle on. Remove the screws and the handle.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2915

Continue to remove the remaining screws and open up the blaster.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2917

Check it out, Raider internals yo! I’ve included a few close ups here so you can refer back to it if you have problems getting it back together. At this point I’d recommend taking a few minutes just looking at the internals to get a better understanding of how it all works. It will help when it comes time to put it back together and it’s just a good habit to get in to.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2918

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2919

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2920

OK, enough photos, lets continue. Remove the four screws holding in the two rail pieces as shown.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2921

And you should now be able to slide the whole plunger and rod assembly out. Looking down the plunger tube you can see the air restrictor. If this is your first time, try blowing down this end of the plunger tube and you’ll quickly understand what the AR does. Funnily enough, it restricts the air allowed through. Obviously we want as much air moving as quickly as possible to give the dart the biggest kick we can, so we’re going to have to remove this.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2923

Grab your trusty drill and go to town on that sucker

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2926

Once you’ve drilled out the bulk of it, grab your hand file and clean up the insides as best you can. Any left over dags here will impede the air flow and hurt the power of your blaster. At this stage I also improved the seal but forgot to take a photo of it. To do this you’ll need to remove the O-ring from the end of the plunger rod, wrap a small amount of teflon tape around the O-ring seat, then put the O-ring back over the top. This helps to improve the seal between the plunger and the plunger rod, ensuring that none of the air escapes around the side. This part is very much a trial and error type process, have a play yourself and you’ll soon figure out how much tape to apply.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2925

If you’re only interested in doing the AR part, feel free to skip this section.

This photo is a comparison between the stock spring ont he left, and the aftermarket BTV2 spring on the right. As you can see, the BT spring is noticeably thicker and this gives it it’s added strength.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2927

Also because of it’s thickness, the BTV2 spring requires a little modification to the blaster shell to stop the spring binding.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2929

Grab your dremel and grind away the tabs as shown.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2930

Slot your newly improved plunger rod, bolt sled and plunger back in to place. Reattach the two rails and the screws to hold them in. Slide your new spring in.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2928

Put it all back together and you’re done! Grab a clip and a handful of darts and go test your new and improved blaster.

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement DSCN2931

With stock streamline darts from the stock blaster, I was getting an average of 7.5m

With the same darts from the modifed blaster, I was getting an average of 17m

You should now have yourself a significantly improved blaster that will be the envy of all your friends! Ok, probably not, but it’s still a decent improvement. Few blasters can match the Raider for its ease of use, dart capacity and rate of fire; and now it even has a somewhat decent range to go with it. Enjoy!

Last edited by Jeo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : broken link)
    |Shadow|
    |Shadow|

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement Empty Re: Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement

Post  |Shadow| Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Nice write up (only skimmed over it will read it better later).

One suggestion though maybe point them here ...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nerf-Blaster-Spring-Mod-Kit-/270903889543?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Outdoor_Toys_Structures&hash=item3f13214e87
    for the spring, you know shop local and all.
    And that kit comes with plunger pad and lube also.
    IamWaylander
    IamWaylander

Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement Empty Re: Nerf Raider - Basic mods - AR, seal improvement and spring replacement

Post  IamWaylander Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Awesome write up! When I started modding, I had no idea what anything was. After thoroughly looking over the net for the information I wanted, I finally found success. It's really good to see you have put some consideration into all the beginner nerf modders out there. Keep up the great work.

Cheers mate!

-Mickey
    iamthatcat

Post  iamthatcat Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 am

Great idea, great pics and text. This should be a template for an excellent writeup. I've been thinking of trying the BT springs out so it's nice to see a comparison too. Thanks much.
    Jeo
    Jeo

Post  Jeo Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 am

I used the BTV2 because I've had good experiences with them in the past.

I do have a few ONN springs and I'm sure they're fine, but I haven't used them enough to be willing to recommend them just yet.
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 am

|Shadow| wrote:Nice write up (only skimmed over it will read it better later).

One suggestion though maybe point them here ...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nerf-Blaster-Spring-Mod-Kit-/270903889543?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Outdoor_Toys_Structures&hash=item3f13214e87
    for the spring, you know shop local and all.
    And that kit comes with plunger pad and lube also.

Thanks mate,

As well as buying local, there's also the point that Australian spring steel is some of the best in the world.

And then there is the point of buying local...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm