If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)
Custom Search

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1917 registered users

The newest registered user is ShaGGz LMS

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Nerf Stampede Gears

h3rrr0

Re: Nerf Stampede Gears

Post  h3rrr0 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:50 am

ptR wrote:
    h3rrr0 wrote:Is the gearing cast into the gears or is it gear cut with tooling?
    Gears are cast

I meant are the gear teeth cast onto the gear. Eg: the gear is finish cast. Or is the gear blank cast, then the teeth are machined into it
    ptR

Post  ptR on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 am

h3rrr0 wrote:
    ptR wrote:
    h3rrr0 wrote:Is the gearing cast into the gears or is it gear cut with tooling?
    Gears are cast

I meant are the gear teeth cast onto the gear. Eg: the gear is finish cast. Or is the gear blank cast, then the teeth are machined into it

It is cast as is, so teeth is already there.
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 am

Servulus wrote:
    The reason i got these professionally manufactured is because my gears do break and ive been through 5 of stampedes.
    Due to high voltage: 18v. 13kg springs internal and external i dont feel safe every war battle thinking my plastic gears are going to fail on me.

There is the reason your breaking gears! You do NOT and should NOT replace the external (front spring) that is a return spring! The plastic gears will work fine if that spring remains unchanged and there is no reason to replace it either.

I have broken one set right in the start, but it might have been something I did when assembling it.

While I have never broken a gear since, I have heard it mentioned time to time.

A heavier return spring can cause trouble, but I've considered getting a slightly heavier (not much) one made for cleaner cycling.

Personally, I think everyone could cut this guy some slack...

I mean, heaps of people have asked on forums where they can get brass gears, or said they were going to make them (but didn't).

This guy has gone ahead and actually done it.

If people don't want them, they don't have to buy them.

If you're into "pimping your ride", brass gears will give you some extra tacticool.

If they're crap, a few people will get burned but the word will get out.

But they are an AUSTRALIAN MADE product (aren't they?), and I'm gonna say it...that doesn't carry much weight on this forum.

The only thing I'd say is that the finish looks a little rough mate.

Maybe you could refine them a bit.

abowden

Post  abowden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 am

in my experience bronze is very strong, this product is for those who like to put insane springs in everything.
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:47 am

abowden wrote:in my experience bronze is very strong, this product is for those who like to put insane springs in everything.

Yeah, like Clunk!
    abowden

Post  abowden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:48 am

who else thinks clunk is going to use this as an exude to put a 30 kg spring in there?
    ptR

Post  ptR on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for that mate. We need people like you around this forum rather then trolls (never experienced this or that, just cos they don't have a problem they think its "perfect").

Yeah this product is AUSTRALIAN made, Manufactured in Melbourne.
    It does look a little rough, but its actually very nice. Just make sure its lubricated and its fine. I thought it was going to slip once lubricated but it held out
    very well.
    abowden

Post  abowden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 am

I know drac managed to break his gear train btw, Do you include that as an optional add on?

Last edited by abowden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 am

ptR wrote:Thanks for that mate. We need people like you around this forum rather then trolls (never experienced this or that, just cos they don't have a problem they think its "perfect").

It does look a little rough, but its actually very nice. Just make sure its lubricated and its fine. I thought it was going to slip once lubricated but it held out
    very well.

I wouldn't feel too jaded, and while I wouldn't call many people here trolls, we do have our share of "knockers".

It's all very easy on the sideline.

You know you can buy (I've heard) lengths of brass bar stock with the gear teeth machined into them full length?

Then you'd just have to machine them down, which might be cheaper and easier (and neater).

I don't know about availability, just heard of it.

Some Stampede gears are compatible with the Vulcan, not all I've heard, by the way.
    ptR

Post  ptR on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 am

abowden wrote:I know drag managed to break his gear train btw, Do you include that as an optional add on?
    I was thinking of it, I'm just trying to experience which lube would be good. tried Wd40 (its ok, recommended if you got no other lube) and tried Hot Sauce (recommended)
    im undergoing other lubrication and tell you which works best.
    h3rrr0

Post  h3rrr0 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 am

Grease (food grade) or bicycle chain wax lubricant would be ideal for this application.
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

ptR wrote:Thanks for that mate. We need people like you around this forum rather then trolls (never experienced this or that, just cos they don't have a problem they think its "perfect").

very well.

Yeh, honestly, I really don't think you could put myself or Servulus in the category of "trolls". And if you have, I would really like to know your reasoning...

Serv really knows his game with the Stampede and Vulcan, and as such, has provided probably the best upgrade spring that I've used in a Stampede. My own experience is 15 commissioned Stampede's, as well as 2 personal unit's, with another 2 in the build phase. I've used 12v SLA batt's and 4 x 14500 li-ion batt's, utilising either 9, 10 or 13kg springs. And, I've not experienced or heard of any of my unit's stripping gears. Ranges are pretty standard, roughly 80ft angled from hip, with 4.7 rounds per second ROF.

I've put some thought in to some reasons behind the fact that I haven't had any issues, but I've been unable to come up with anything conclusive. The only theory's I have is: I don't use the stock spring with the after-market upgrade. I've purchased Stampede's over a period of 9 months, so that rules out the faulty batch issue. Maybe I've just been fortunate, or maybe I pay attention to detail when re-assembling, I'm not sure.

I'm not flaming the product at all. I think it's good to see some more Aussie made components on the market. The price is just too high for me to consider it as an option, until I start experiencing issues. This goes in to the same category as a Chrisb alu boltsled, or an Xplorer poly boltsled. I've only ever snapped one LS sled, and that was with an insane spring load (which is pretty good reasoning why it's been highlighted that I will no doubt, at some stage, look at a crazy spring load in a Stampede. And, if I do, I will be investing in a set of these brass gears).

Personally though, I'm much more interested in finding time to re-create SgNerf's breech system to accommodate full-length blue foam darts. But that project is on the back-burner for the moment.

ONN - seriously mate, a lot of the older modder's on here must be purchasing a fair bit of your Aussie-made components surely? Personally, I know I've thrown a fair bit of custom your way, and as my reviews indicate, I'm thoroughly impressed with your products, and particularly your service!!

Oh, and on the lubrication side. From my experience in the mining industry, either a quality lithium grease, or a molybdenum disulfide paste (pure moly grease) should work quite well with brass gears.

Cheers,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clunk Weapons Co. Blaster-smith Services:
    Commissions offered on Stampede, LongShot, Spectre, LED Maverick.

CWC Blaster-smith Services
    CWC Custom Paint
    ptR

Post  ptR on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 am

clunk07 wrote:

very well.

Yeh, honestly, I really don't think you could put myself or Servulus in the category of "trolls". And if you have, I would really like to know your reasoning...

Serv really knows his game with the Stampede and Vulcan, and as such, has provided probably the best upgrade spring that I've used in a Stampede. My own experience is 15 commissioned Stampede's, as well as 2 personal unit's, with another 2 in the build phase. I've used 12v SLA batt's and 4 x 14500 li-ion batt's, utilising either 9, 10 or 13kg springs. And, I've not experienced or heard of any of my unit's stripping gears. Ranges are pretty standard, roughly 80ft angled from hip, with 4.7 rounds per second ROF.

I've put some thought in to some reasons behind the fact that I haven't had any issues, but I've been unable to come up with anything conclusive. The only theory's I have is: I don't use the stock spring with the after-market upgrade. I've purchased Stampede's over a period of 9 months, so that rules out the faulty batch issue. Maybe I've just been fortunate, or maybe I pay attention to detail when re-assembling, I'm not sure.

I'm not flaming the product at all. I think it's good to see some more Aussie made components on the market. The price is just too high for me to consider it as an option, until I start experiencing issues. This goes in to the same category as a Chrisb alu boltsled, or an Xplorer poly boltsled. I've only ever snapped one LS sled, and that was with an insane spring load (which is pretty good reasoning why it's been highlighted that I will no doubt, at some stage, look at a crazy spring load in a Stampede. And, if I do, I will be investing in a set of these brass gears).

Personally though, I'm much more interested in finding time to re-create SgNerf's breech system to accommodate full-length blue foam darts. But that project is on the back-burner for the moment.

ONN - seriously mate, a lot of the older modder's on here must be purchasing a fair bit of your Aussie-made components surely? Personally, I know I've thrown a fair bit of custom your way, and as my reviews indicate, I'm thoroughly impressed with your products, and particularly your service!!

Oh, and on the lubrication side. From my experience in the mining industry, either a quality lithium grease, or a molybdenum disulfide paste (pure moly grease) should work quite well with brass gears.

Cheers,

I didnt intentionally put you in a troll category at all just the fact that ive been handling a lot of inquiries (not just this forum) and its answering the same questions over and over, but look it doesnt bother me until someone try to bomb the sale.
    I really appreciate your information and will definitely take it on board. Thanks for your referral, but very unfortunate i have ran out of stock (sold 10) will be producing another 30 batch looking as its going quite well. But i do hope they come back with positive feedback as well.
    Kindly appropriate your help.
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 am

clunk07 wrote:

very well.

Cheers,

I think the secret is to have the "half" gear in neutral and nothing jammed when reassembling.

That way, the blaster is in "neutral" and ready for a full cycle when the trigger is pulled, and doesn't run into a full stoppage due to something being misaligned.

My comment was more aimed at the fact that here we have another Oz first nerf innovation, with no encouragement.

I guess this reminded me of when I first (very self consciously) put my longshot brackets on here.

I certainly think the trolls comment was overkill, but old mate was probably a bit disappointed with the reception.

Back on topic, I agree that breaking gears isn't a huge problem in this model BUT with the event of sealed breaches, hot motors and super heavy springs there could be a place for this product for the advanced hardcore modder who wants the ultimate rape cannon.

AND it's made in this country.

If I ever get this f@#$ing standard dart size breach to work, I'll probably try a set with an extreme motor/spring combo.

Last edited by oznerfnerd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    abowden

Post  abowden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 am

taking in clunks advice, I suggest you use lithium grease, as it is used for o-rings anyway (while not necessarily as good as silicone grease for o-rings)
    Ungodlyfreak

Post  Ungodlyfreak on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 am

Friggin' SWEET!!
    ptR

Post  ptR on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Just a sneak preview ROF Stampede Test

http://vimeo.com/37586154

Stampede Gear Free Spinning:

http://vimeo.com/37589259

Last edited by ptR on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm

ptR wrote:Just a sneak preview ROF Stampede Test

Now that IS sweet!

I see you're using the 3cm dart like SGNerf.

Have you done the stefan modified clip as well?

And you're using Singaplastic pipe?

I've been trying very hard to make a full length dart version using orange conduit with brass areldited into it all the way to the end of the breach.

I used a lathe to machine down the ends of the conduit to fit both the nosepiece and the return spring collar.

I'm having all sorts of alignment and friction issues (very tight interference fit between the 2 sizes of brass) and as SG has just sent me some pipe, I'm about to give up and do it the same as him, just to see it work.

You could just go with 5-6 Lion batteries for the same result, but yeah, I've got lots of Lipos and the little volt meter/buzzer is really cool.

I'm guessing you've got a good balance charger, looking at your setup.

Back on topic I notice no bad noises from those gears, quite the contrary considering the heavy spring combo and ROF.

I'll take a set. Please PM your paypal details

That sounds like it's running well, nice one.
    ptR

Post  ptR on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 pm

oznerfnerd wrote:
    ptR wrote:Just a sneak preview ROF Stampede Test

Now that IS sweet!

I see you're using the 3cm dart like SGNerf.

Have you done the stefan modified clip as well?

And you're using Singaplastic pipe?

I've been trying very hard to make a full length dart version using orange conduit with brass areldited into it all the way to the end of the breach.

I used a lathe to machine down the ends of the conduit to fit both the nosepiece and the return spring collar.

I'm having all sorts of alignment and friction issues (very tight interference fit between the 2 sizes of brass) and as SG has just sent me some pipe, I'm about to give up and do it the same as him, just to see it work.

You could just go with 5-6 Lion batteries for the same result, but yeah, I've got lots of Lipos and the little volt meter/buzzer is really cool.

I'm guessing you've got a good balance charger, looking at your setup.

Back on topic I notice no bad noises from those gears, quite the contrary considering the heavy spring combo and ROF.

I'll take a set. Please PM your paypal details

That sounds like it's running well, nice one.

Only thing is modded is Battery,AR Removal, Springs (internal and external) & Gears.
    We still need to do Brass Breech.
    havnt done singaplastic pipe and stefan mod yet.
    It runs like a charm.
    Unfortnately we have ran out of stock. We should get some shortly next week, i'll Keep you posted.
    Yeah my balance charger is pretty good.

ps. Serv, Can you manufacture 18kg Spring Load?
    as we would love to batch purchase them if possible. approx 50?
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Yeh, that all looks pretty good. Just a bit curious on the spring load though, as it's not as high as I expected. 11kg upgrade spring is a bit smaller than some of the 13kg unit's I've tested, though I have settled on Serv's spring, which from memory, is around 10kg. Very interesting with the stock spring as well - I'll probably try that on my next project.

Also, would you be able to get a ROF for us. I tried timing it on the video, and came up with 3.54 sec's to unload an 18 round clip. Which is close enough to 5 darts per second. That's pretty good considering mine top out at 4.7 rounds per second, with only a 13kg spring load.

Cheers,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CWC Custom Paint
    ptR

Post  ptR on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm

clunk07 wrote:Yeh, that all looks pretty good. Just a bit curious on the spring load though, as it's not as high as I expected. 11kg upgrade spring is a bit smaller than some of the 13kg unit's I've tested, though I have settled on Serv's spring, which from memory, is around 10kg. Very interesting with the stock spring as well - I'll probably try that on my next project.

Also, would you be able to get a ROF for us. I tried timing it on the video, and came up with 3.54 sec's to unload an 18 round clip. Which is close enough to 5 darts per second. That's pretty good considering mine top out at 4.7 rounds per second, with only a 13kg spring load.

Cheers,

Hey thanks mate. yea, still trying to push the limits more further. Hopefully we can reach numbers that will make this thing illegal. lol. Gonna put 2x 11kg and cross my fingers.

Any ideas how much load is on the stock spring?

Yea, ur spot on mate, 3.56sec unloading.

Thanks for input dude!
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm

The only issue I can see with that spring load is voltage obviously, which can be dealt with quite easily. The other problem will be finding two springs that will nest inside each other nicely. But, will be interesting to see the end results.

Haha - if you want illegal, I'd have to suggest a Titan-based system. Everything else pales in comparison!!

Cheers,

CWC Custom Paint
    ptR

Post  ptR on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:15 am

*AVAILABLE THROUGH WEBSITE FOR PURCHASE*
    www.battlegears.com.au

Like to thank: OzNerf For the support and feedback
    bottom left i have linked back to OzNerf.

Clunk: yeah thats right. hahah we're going to try 2 11kg springs but scared the plunger will go before anything. LOL
    stoph

Post  stoph on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 am

Site looks great mate, looking forward to further developments!

edit: just a thought, but when you begin putting together mod kits that up the spring rate, you might want to invest in a shooting chrony so you can provide an estimate as to the potential velocity (FPS) one may expect of the darts, as anything over 180fps is deemed a firearm in some states, and that may become a liability issue (especially seeing as this all has so much potential).
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 am

the fps i believe relies on the spring. brass does allow stronger springs though.
    stoph

Post  stoph on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 am

RetfirDMX wrote:the fps i believe relies on the spring. brass does allow stronger springs though.

Yup, sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to mod kits including uprated springs, batteries, etc, as opposed to just gears on their own - think OMW and Black-Tactical. It's just an assumption/suggestion that such mod kits would be a logical step from the gears
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 am

i see.
    i wonder how strong a spring the rest of the gears can take. if there was a brass gear expansion set, like for the straight part, the motor gear, and the last gear, i'd definitely buy it and throw an insane spring into the thing.
    ptR

Post  ptR on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 am

RetfirDMX wrote:i see.
    i wonder how strong a spring the rest of the gears can take. if there was a brass gear expansion set, like for the straight part, the motor gear, and the last gear, i'd definitely buy it and throw an insane spring into the thing.

In order to get a ROF that quick you need to get a stronger return spring eg. 2 stock return spring. NOTE: this is the reason why the gears fail because it
    gets pushed back and it can't handle it. So this is where the Gears come into play
    Im thinking of going even heavier return and plunger spring.
    see how we go.
    Kaine

Post  Kaine on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 am

First of all, I love the idea of bronze gears. Even just saying "bronze gears" sends a thrill of possibility up my spine.
    However I do have a few questions.
    1. What grade of bronze is it? (or more accurately the exact composition of the bronze you use)
    2. Are the gears hardened? (some copper alloys can, some can't)
    3. Do you have plans to cast replacement "tooth bars" for the plunger assembly/case?
    In regards to the latter, I don't see the point in upgrading just the gears, so when the same or a similar problem occurs you just strip/crack/break a different set of teeth. No offence meant, just an observation.

Also, just a few tips since you have an Aussie website now.
    Get an ABN. It's not hard, and it means you are covered if something goes pear shaped. Also, I'm not current on our Office of Fair Trade or whatever it's called, so I am not sure if you can get away with only a 30 day warranty, just to be safe if you put "These items are toy foam blaster replacement parts and should not be used for any application other than what it was designed for." Put it in fine print at the bottom of the Store section and following the item description on it's individual page. This covers you from a. stupid people and b. stipulates that it is a toy/toy parts and therefore only subject to a 30 day warranty.
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Until proven wrong, I do believe that the problem with loading high load rating springs (those over about 14kg) is related to the gear ratio more so than the material used to make the gears. This could maybe be increased by installing a new motor, or by changing the gear ratio. I will be interested to see how this goes with a 16kg to 18kg load spring.

ptR, I do strongly suggest that you only have some test springs made first before taking a large order.
    h3rrr0

Post  h3rrr0 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:11 am

Servulus wrote:Until proven wrong, I do believe that the problem with loading high load rating springs (those over about 14kg) is related to the gear ratio more so than the material used to make the gears. This could maybe be increased by installing a new motor, or by changing the gear ratio. I will be interested to see how this goes with a 16kg to 18kg load spring.

ptR, I do strongly suggest that you only have some test springs made first before taking a large order.

^Spot on. Too much load and the motor will not have enough torque to prime the spring. Higher torque motors will either be larger and/or rotate slower. Changing the gear ratio will take load off the motor, but it will prime slower. With new motors, current draw and of course voltage needs to be considered also. Luckily, this isn't a major issue thanks to the stampedes massive battery compartment.
    ptR

Post  ptR on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:14 am

h3rrr0 wrote:
    Servulus wrote:Until proven wrong, I do believe that the problem with loading high load rating springs (those over about 14kg) is related to the gear ratio more so than the material used to make the gears. This could maybe be increased by installing a new motor, or by changing the gear ratio. I will be interested to see how this goes with a 16kg to 18kg load spring.

^Spot on. Too much load and the motor will not have enough torque to prime the spring. Higher torque motors will either be larger and/or rotate slower. Changing the gear ratio will take load off the motor, but it will prime slower. With new motors, current draw and of course voltage needs to be considered also. Luckily, this isn't a major issue thanks to the stampedes massive battery compartment.

Hey guys, I think you guys are pretty much correct on that one - we tried an 18kg load and the stampede struggled to fire darts on a consistent basis.

We tested 2 blasters, one with stock and the other with bronze gears. Our findings were that the plastic teeth did break through constant misaligned priming and gear slippage, whereas the bronze gears shifted failure towards the other plastic components.

So, to run anything higher than 15kg load a higher torqued motor is in order.

Hopefully the team can introduce a suitable motor candidate and turn the stampede into a Monster!

P.S the shots from the 18kg load gave us a big smile

Nearly there boys.

Cheers
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm

You should design the complete internal system out of metal.

The spring ratings that could be achieved..... you could take your stampede to the country on a weekend and take down small animals and/or hill-billies haha.
    Sicnut

Post  Sicnut on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Hey guys just wondering if you still sell the brass gearsets. I've been on your website and it says out of stock
    stoph

Post  stoph on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Last I spoke with Ptr he had another batch made up, but he's been very busy so it's just a matter of time before he restocks the site. Just be patient

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 am