Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Customs listing of prohibited goods

camo1010
    camo1010

Customs listing of prohibited goods Empty Customs listing of prohibited goods

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 am

Hey guys,

I have noticed that there has been some issues regarding the importation of accessories for nerf guns. eg. Front grips, bi-pods, sights and other items that people think are in the grey area of customs. So, I did some searching and came across the listing for the do's and don'ts when it comes to the confusion that is customs.

Here's the link to the full listing:
    http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp

Please Note:
    THIS IS TO BE USED AS A GUIDE ONLY!! Because laws in Australia change often, the above mentioned site should be consulted before making any overseas purchases.

If you have any other questions call Australian Customs on: 1300 363 263

Cheers

Last edited by camo1010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 am; edited 5 times in total
    dchil15
    dchil15

Customs listing of prohibited goods Empty Re: Customs listing of prohibited goods

Post  dchil15 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:03 am

Can someone sticky this. It will stop the majority of 'Can I import this?' threads.
    Snd can you put the number for customs into the original post for people who have something not on the list they think is legal the number is 1300 363 263
    dchil15
    camo1010
    camo1010

Customs listing of prohibited goods Empty Re: Customs listing of prohibited goods

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 am

Original post updated to include the number.
    Sicnut
    Sicnut

Post  Sicnut Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 am

Cool thanks for clearing that up, did you find any info on how much we can modify our blasters before they turn into a cat A firearm?
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 am

I haven't found anything on that yet. I'll have a look this arvo if I get time
    |Shadow|
    |Shadow|

Post  |Shadow| Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:29 am

Good work Camo, about time someone did this : )
    dchil15
    dchil15

Post  dchil15 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:39 am

Sicnut wrote:Cool thanks for clearing that up, did you find any info on how much we can modify our blasters before they turn into a cat A firearm?

see post below.
    see clunk's post for why i was wrong

Last edited by dchil15 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 am

Sicnut wrote:Cool thanks for clearing that up, did you find any info on how much we can modify our blasters before they turn into a cat A firearm?

Any mechanical device capable of firing a projectile which measures over 180 fps at 1m from the muzzle will be classed as a firearm in Queensland, and requires appropriate licencing etc.

Cheers,
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 am

|Shadow| wrote:Good work Camo, about time someone did this : )

Cheers mate.

clunk07 wrote:

Any mechanical device capable of firing a projectile which measures over 180 fps at 1m from the muzzle will be classed as a firearm in Queensland, and requires appropriate licencing etc.

Cheers,

Excellent. That solves that one

Hey clunk I don't suppose we could sticky this thread and get it cleaned up?

Cheers
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 am

dchil15 wrote:

a firearm is classified as a object which is able to fire a projectile using a gas or spring or some way of lauching the projectile that could case harm. so technically a nerf gun becomes a firearm acording to the defintion of the law, so when you stick a traditional stefan that has some metal in it and is poking out of the hot glue, but don't tell them that. So stick with standard darts or informers' darts. according to the law a powerhead is a firearm, a explosive tool [a nail gun that uses a .22blank] is a firearm, so we tread a very thin line in Australia when it comes to nerf so don't shoot any police with your singled 4b using stefans that have been improperly made and we should be good.
    dchil15

Yep, probably time you checked a few of your references. A combustion "nail gun" is not classed as a firearm - as I'm sure a few member's that are chippies will attest to.

I think you're confused with:

"A powder-actuated tool (often called a "Hilti gun" or a "Ramset gun" after their manufacturing companies) is a nail gun used in construction and manufacturing to join materials to hard substrates such as steel and concrete. Known as "direct fastening", this technology relies on a controlled explosion created by small chemical propellant charge, similar to the process that discharges a firearm."

Your definition of a firearm is a fair way off too.

"5. A toy firearm that is not designed to fire metallic projectiles is not included in the
    definition of "firearm" in the Act unless, in the Registrar’s opinion, it should be regulated as a
    firearm under the Act and is the subject of a declaration to that effect by the Registrar published in
    the Gazette."

Your advice is absurd...

" we tread a very thin line in Australia when it comes to nerf so don't shoot any police with your singled 4b using stefans that have been improperly made and we should be good. "

If you possessed any common sense whatsoever, you wouldn't point anything resembling a weapon towards a police officer. I'm also curious as to your theory that it would be okay to shoot a police officer with properly made stefans?!?

And, yeh, I'm not only coming from a fair bit of experience with NERF. I've spent quite a considerable amount of time as a competitive local SSAA member, and spent my childhood on a farm, where pest eradication was an important part of everyday life.

Seriously - thanks for attempting to contribute. But, we need facts, not opinions.

On-topic - we have had a thread for over 12 months outlining Australian customs laws with importing NERF related paraphenalia, laser diode's, imitation firearms etc etc. But, due to the ever-changing attitude of our laws, it just seemed easier for people to research themselves, so they had the most up-to-date information available.

Camo - nice work mate, but as mentioned above, the laws change that often, that making this a sticky will only give people a false sense of what is legal. Maybe edit the OP to identify the ever-changing laws, and that people should follow the link, and check for the most recent definition/prohibited articles.

Cheers,
    dchil15
    dchil15

Post  dchil15 Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 am

clunk07 wrote:
    dchil15 wrote:snip

Yep, probably time you checked a few of your references. A combustion "nail gun" is not classed as a firearm - as I'm sure a few member's that are chippies will attest to.

I think you're confused with:

"A powder-actuated tool (often called a "Hilti gun" or a "Ramset gun" after their manufacturing companies) is a nail gun used in construction and manufacturing to join materials to hard substrates such as steel and concrete. Known as "direct fastening", this technology relies on a controlled explosion created by small chemical propellant charge, similar to the process that discharges a firearm."

Your definition of a firearm is a fair way off too.

"5. A toy firearm that is not designed to fire metallic projectiles is not included in the
    definition of "firearm" in the Act unless, in the Registrar’s opinion, it should be regulated as a
    firearm under the Act and is the subject of a declaration to that effect by the Registrar published in
    the Gazette."

Your advice is absurd...

" we tread a very thin line in Australia when it comes to nerf so don't shoot any police with your singled 4b using stefans that have been improperly made and we should be good. "

If you possessed any common sense whatsoever, you wouldn't point anything resembling a weapon towards a police officer. I'm also curious as to your theory that it would be okay to shoot a police officer with properly made stefans?!?

And, yeh, I'm not only coming from a fair bit of experience with NERF. I've spent quite a considerable amount of time as a competitive local SSAA member, and spent my childhood on a farm, where pest eradication was an important part of everyday life.

Seriously - thanks for attempting to contribute. But, we need facts, not opinions.

On-topic - we have had a thread for over 12 months outlining Australian customs laws with importing NERF related paraphenalia, laser diode's, imitation firearms etc etc. But, due to the ever-changing attitude of our laws, it just seemed easier for people to research themselves, so they had the most up-to-date information available.

Camo - nice work mate, but as mentioned above, the laws change that often, that making this a sticky will only give people a false sense of what is legal. Maybe edit the OP to identify the ever-changing laws, and that people should follow the link, and check for the most recent definition/prohibited articles.

Cheers,
    i knew i was wrong in there but not that wrong. please listen to clunk not me in this thread. i apologise if i mislead you i need to read up again on my firearms laws/definitions.*starts reading handouts I got at safety course*
    dchil15
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 am

dchil15 wrote:
    i knew i was wrong in there but not that wrong. please listen to clunk not me in this thread. i apologise if i mislead you i need to read up again on my firearms laws/definitions.*starts reading handouts I got at safety course*
    dchil15

The information from a safety course is just that - information on the safe use, storage and operation of a firearm, to comply with each State's laws.

As for being wrong, don't stress. Put a bit more time in to gathering facts and not opinions, and you'll be fine. You're young, and keen, that counts for something. It also sounds like you have experience with actual firearms (obviously with adult supervision), so that's a tick in the responsible box.

Cheers,
    dchil15
    dchil15

Post  dchil15 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:10 am

clunk07 wrote:
    dchil15 wrote:
    dchil15

The information from a safety course is just that - information on the safe use, storage and operation of a firearm, to comply with each State's laws.

As for being wrong, don't stress. Put a bit more time in to gathering facts and not opinions, and you'll be fine. You're young, and keen, that counts for something. It also sounds like you have experience with actual firearms (obviously with adult supervision), so that's a tick in the responsible box.

Cheers,
    Thanks. I have a limited experence with firearms, I have used them only about 3 times and am waiting on my liscence to be approved[28 day waiting period], but know what to do and what not to do. I don't intend to mislead people but I try to inform to the best of my abilities. Thank you again for the vote of confidence.
    dchil15
    Edit: This should probably let this thread go back on topic now

Last edited by dchil15 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : see Edit)
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 am

Please dis regard this post.

My apologies clunk

Last edited by camo1010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 pm

camo1010 wrote:Can we get the thread cleaned up?

The thread is still on-topic, and it's been stickied mate. Really wondering what else us mod/Admin's can do for a thread with a link to the customs website...

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm