Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Rayven (lock) mod.

NORTHENGHOST
    NORTHENGHOST

Rayven (lock) mod. Empty Rayven (lock) mod.

Post  NORTHENGHOST Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:12 pm

I was doing some normal lock mods/removal when I realised that the lock switches are the same size as the rev switch (the fly wheel activation button). I also noticed that when the lock switches are released they cut the power quicker than releasing the normal rev switch. I had the idea that if I put the jam door lock switch were the original rev switch goes then I could have a much quicker "Run down" time (the time it takes for the motors to stop).

Here is a picture.

Rayven (lock) mod. Jam_do10

I had to add a bit more wire to get the switch to the housing, I then cleaned it up by taking out the original switch.

Rayven (lock) mod. P4141415

Im not sure if this mod is any good as it may wear out the motors more quickly, I enjoy it as it greatly decreases run down times (can't give exact times), especially when using high voltage batteries.

Not over the top amazing but some food for thought.

Thanks, NORTHENGHOST.
    WH1PLA5H
    WH1PLA5H

Rayven (lock) mod. Empty Re: Rayven (lock) mod.

Post  WH1PLA5H Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Some of the wires you took out i think had a capacitor in them and some other device that probably is a delay for the motors to help protect them... just some food for thought.
    NORTHENGHOST
    NORTHENGHOST

Post  NORTHENGHOST Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Yes, The original switch wire had two capacitors on it but this switch swap worked before and after removing the capacitors.
    Johnnus
    Johnnus

Post  Johnnus Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Having just finished electrical circuits in Physics, I believe the device closest to the accel trigger is a diode (black cylinder with silver band) which prevents electrical current from flowing in a certain direction. If you put batteris the right way in however, all it does is provide minimal resistance (so the removal increases current slightly).
    In any case, thanks for posting this up, as I hated the long rundown times of my Rayven.

Just a question though, does anyone have concrete evidence for or against potential motor damage by switching these switches (and thus deccelerating the motors faster)?
    grimrecka
    grimrecka

Post  grimrecka Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:45 am

Johnnus wrote:Just a question though, does anyone have concrete evidence for or against potential motor damage by switching these switches (and thus deccelerating the motors faster)?

What I believe is happening with the lock switch is called electrically braking the motor. Not breaking as in broken but braking as in what you do to stop your car. When the lock switch is pressed (or in whatever state that allows it to rev up) you've got current coming from the batteries, powering the motor, and then flowing back to the battery. Electrical braking works because every motor is essentially a generator.

Normally when you stop pressing the rev switch, the motor still has momentum and continues to spin. The spinning coils in the motor interact with the magnet in the motor and tries to produce a current, but because there is no circuit this energy (or potential) doesn't do or affect anything.

When the lock switch is open however; it directs this current back into the motor causing the coils to create an electromagnet force in a direction opposite to which the motor is spinning. This is what makes it slow down quicker than just turning off the motor.

As far as I know, this process doesn't have any adverse affect on the motor. It's used in trains (where it's called dynamic breaking) and electric cars. I personally have also used this technique when working with Lego robots. So I'd say it's perfectly safe thing to do with the Rayven.

Last edited by grimrecka on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed wording)
    WH1PLA5H
    WH1PLA5H

Post  WH1PLA5H Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:20 am

OK, all well and good however whats the point in having it run down quicker???
    Sicnut
    Sicnut

Post  Sicnut Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Is that simliar to the 3 way switch in the stampede trigger that grounds to negative when released? Also I like the longer run down times as it requires less effort for the motor and current draw to start back up and quicker follow up shots. Also if your worried about the noise, don't think flywheels can be silenced easily but again I like the noise as when someone hears it who doesnt have one of my rayvens generally backs right off. But whatever you prefer go for it as what I like probably is far different to you like

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 pm