Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

2 posters

Short plunger concept

cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Short plunger concept Empty Short plunger concept

Post  cfb_rolley Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

Hey, just looking for a little feedback on something I'm working on. some time ago I mentioned I was planning to start designing a dart blaster from scratch. Well, I got halfway through a few designs and ran in to some obstacles to do with the internals taking up too much space lengthwise. However, I've figured out a way to still have a big plunger tube while having a short overall length. basically it's a variation on the Retaliator plunger setup, where the catch grove for the plunger is down near the plunger head. this moves the catch plate from the end of a big plunger rod to the back of the plunger tube. there is still a plunger rod on the retaliator's plunger, however. I believe this is prevent the plunger flipping over in the plunger tube, and also acts as a spring guide.

SO, with this idea, the plunger, catch edge, and spring guide are all contained within one small unit that features a simple design with no "sticky outy bits", which allows it to be moulded, printed, forged or machined on a lathe. it's simple design is theoretically strong, as there is little that could tear away or snap, and the lack of plunger rod also means a lighter weight, increasing plunger acceleration.

the twin o-rings allow for different resistance through use of thicker or thinner o-rings, and also stabilises the plunger. the depth of the spring guide can be machined to the compressed length of the spring used, and spacer washers could be used the put higher compression on springs with a shorter compressed length. the catch edge can be as wide as the inner diameter of the plunger tube and can be designed with different taper.

this is the start of the design rendered, feedback appreciated!

Short plunger concept Plunge10
    Short plunger concept Plunge11
    stoph
    stoph

Short plunger concept Empty Re: Short plunger concept

Post  stoph Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:27 am

Very nice! My only thought would be to ensure an all-round uniform sear catch, to properly distribute the lateral stress you'd likely encounter with the plunger barring against the edge of the tube (if you were to use a single-point sear catch). Something akin to the Longshot sear catch, or a modular rainbow catch would be good.

I've had the plunger-rodless concept floating in my head for a while, it's definitely a space saver. Are you thinking of cocking it on the backstroke, from the front, like an LS bolt does?
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 am

Definitely going to use a catch similar to the longshot, with tightest tolerance possible without impeding on reliability, but i'll also probably add some rounded edges to avoid damage in the event that the plunger scrapes the tube, but hopefully the right o-ring placement will avoid that happening. It'll cock the same way as a longshot, with the back of the breech pushing it back. hopefully this will be small enough to make way for spring powered bullpup designs.
    stoph
    stoph

Post  stoph Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 am

Combine this with a shorter dart and breech, and you've definitely got the makings of a bullpup blaster

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 pm