Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion

#endgame
    #endgame

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion Empty Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion

Post  #endgame Sun May 16, 2010 5:50 am

I recently joined a workplace fitness/fundraiser program and as part of the pack that everyone was sent, I was given this drink bottle holder. The pocket comfortably holds a CS-6 clip (Recon, Longshot, &c.) but the drink bottle holder is too narrow for either a Maverick or a Recon. Let's fix that.

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion ZUHg0

First, cut the holder apart, like so:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion DZEuB

Note that there's enough space to stitch elastic on both sides. You don't want to cut right next to the main part of the holder. Stitch over any cut edges to prevent fraying.

Next, test your blaster for fit:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion VWVUj

And cut some elastic strips. You can buy this stuff (and velcro strips, which I use later) from places like Spotlight:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion Skbob

I made a mistake here and cut mine too short; I had to stitch two of them into one that was long enough. The third short piece I ran across the bottom of the holster. Anyway, after cutting your elastic, pin it all into place and check the fit:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion DZeqk

If it all looks good, stitch it together:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion Tnzl4

You can see in the above picture that there are three strips flying off the holster. Two of them are a belt that clips around, while the third is an elastic strap that I added. It passes between my legs and velcros onto the holster just below the pocket flap. This is to stop it bouncing around when I run.

At this point, it's essentially complete, but I finished up by trimming the pointy corner you can see above and adding some velcro between the elastic. This lets me resize the holster to fit either my Maverick:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion U5bGM

Or to fit my Recon:

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion 1iL5x

I'm not yet sure which will end up as my secondary, so I wanted that extra flexibility.

Last edited by #endgame on Sun May 16, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix first/third person disagreement.)
    Reaper
    Reaper

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion Empty Re: Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion

Post  Reaper Sun May 16, 2010 6:02 am

Awesome write-up, I'll have to do this for myself sometime. You mentioned you didn't know which one was going to be your secondary, I'd recommend the Recon. Better range, faster reload (assuming that you have spare clips), jams less, and is more comfortable to hold in my opinion. Overall, a much better blaster. Back on topic, what brand is that drink bottle holder?
    #endgame
    #endgame

Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion Empty Re: Writeup: Drink bottle holder->holster conversion

Post  #endgame Sun May 16, 2010 6:26 am

Reaper wrote:I'd recommend the Recon. Better range, faster reload (assuming that you have spare clips), jams less, and is more comfortable to hold in my opinion. Overall, a much better blaster.

This is all true, but if I'm using a Longshot for my primary (almost certainly), then I will have used up all my clips in the Longshot before switching to the Recon anyway, so that reload isn't such a useful property. The Maverick can take a wider range of darts and is easier to top up.

Reaper wrote:Back on topic, what brand is that drink bottle holder?

I wish I could tell you, but there aren't any identifying markings beyond the "Variety Workplace Challenge", and there's nothing on their site about where that bottle holder came from or where they get their promotional products from.

The challenge appears to be run by a company called Azion Wellness, but there's nothing useful on that site, either.

I can't find anything that looks like what I've got online, either. Sorry. Googling for "water bottle belt" turns up a fair number of other results, some promising, some not. Perhaps you can convert one of those or even start from scratch?

Last edited by #endgame on Sun May 16, 2010 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed busted quote tag.)
    liam_skywalker
    liam_skywalker

Post  liam_skywalker Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 am

This is very nice.
    Can a nite finder fit?
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Sun May 16, 2010 6:41 am

Dude, thats awesome! That would be alot easier than making one form scratch!!

One idea however, What if you stuck a bit of velcro onto the clip, and added the other side to the holster its self,, maybe where that little pouch is, that way you can have a clip in the gun, and maybe 2 clips on the holster... Idk, just an idea
    #endgame
    #endgame

Post  #endgame Sun May 16, 2010 6:47 am

liam_skywalker wrote:Can a nite finder fit?

I don't have one. I suspect that a Nite Finder may even fit without modification. I find that it's a little fiddly to fold up the excess velcro when fitting it to a Maverick (and I can't cut any away or I wouldn't have enough to fit the Recon), so there might be too much getting in the way to use it as a Nite Finder holster. Nite Finders also look a little shorter than either the Maverick or Recon, which means there might be additional cutting required.

chinnerz wrote:One idea however, What if you stuck a bit of velcro onto the clip, and added the other side to the holster its self,, maybe where that little pouch is, that way you can have a clip in the gun, and maybe 2 clips on the holster.

That's a pretty good idea, though I'd be concerned about darts slipping out of the outside clip. I bought sew-on velcro and not stick-on velcro, so I can't test this right now. Perhaps if you made a little cardboard or wooden cover for the top of the clip and held in place with a rubber band or something? That should keep the darts from slipping out while keeping the clip fairly accessible.

Last edited by #endgame on Sun May 16, 2010 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 am

Hmm yes you are right, they may fall out if you brush them with your hand or while you are running. A cardboard cover over the top of the clip held on via a rubber band sounds good, the only thing is what do you do with the cardboard and rubber band afterwards (thinking of the environment here)
    #endgame
    #endgame

Post  #endgame Sun May 16, 2010 7:06 am

chinnerz wrote:Hmm yes you are right, they may fall out if you brush them with your hand or while you are running. A cardboard cover over the top of the clip held on via a rubber band sounds good, the only thing is what do you do with the cardboard and rubber band afterwards (thinking of the environment here)

I haven't tried it, but if you use reasonably sturdy cardboard, they shouldn't get too beat up when stuffed into a pocket. An alternative: Make clip boxes/pouches with high sides (so darts don't fall out) but a fairly low front (so the clip is easy to grab). That sort of thing could live on a belt quite happily and not leave litter. Cardboard + electrician's tape could work here, as could some sort of fabric.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm