Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is RTItemplar

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

January 2022

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+9
TheDoubleBracket
-Aj-
ShootEmUp
phuonguyen
CobraNerf
Joey
Frankie27
tank720
gooni
13 posters

Gooni's plunger rod

gooni
    gooni

Gooni's plunger rod Empty Gooni's plunger rod

Post  gooni Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Ok, today we will see the making of the style of plunger rod i made for my homemade NF (the rod pictured was made for this how-to).

First you will need some 10mm x 10mm x1.5mm aluminum channel (from Bunnings), a piece of 20mm aluminum (or PVC) tube, a nail, e-tape and some glue/epoxy.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2616

Cut a 2cm piece of the tube and the channel to the length you need.Then drill a hole through the channel about 1cm from the end, and through the piece of tube aswell.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2617

Wrap the e-tape around the drilled end of the channel so that the tube fits tight onto the end.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2618
    Now cut a 1cm piece of the nail and thred it through the hoes you drilled
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2619

I grinded the nail to fit flush to the tube.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2620

Then i filled the tube with hot glue( you can use any glue/epoxy you like) and fitted a felt pad to the top, then wrapped it with some more e-tape.Then put an Oring on it, then more e-tape to make it seal.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2621
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2622

Now for the catch notch. Fine the spot on the channel where the catch will ne to hold the rod when primed and cut a groove in the channel(the frst time i made the style of rod it took 3 cuts to get the right spot so measure twice and cut once )
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2623

Now at the end of the channel drill a nother hole so it can be used for a handle(for this write up i just used a nother nail).And there you have it, the Gooni style plunger rod all ready togo.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2624

Here is one i made earlier in said homemade NF.
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2625
    Gooni's plunger rod Dscn2626

Yay, my first write up. I hope this can help solve any problems anyone may have with plunger rods in the future.

Gooni

Last edited by gooni on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Was 20mm alu tube i used, not 16mm sorry)
    tank720
    tank720

Gooni's plunger rod Empty Re: Gooni's plunger rod

Post  tank720 Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Good mod but when doing the write up check your spelling future not futuer.
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Post  Frankie27 Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Excellent, just what I was after. I'm really looking forward to building mine now. I've got it all planned out in my head.

I do plan on making some slight changes to your design that I'll post when done. Thanks for posting this and great work.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks, any improvements would be great. I should say that in the one pictured i cut the catch notch way too close to the end of the rod, but that one was made only for this write up.

@ Tank, well for someone that is lisdexic one mistake is amazing , if there is more please tell me.
    tank720
    tank720

Post  tank720 Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Well know that you say so it is to go not togo.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:04 pm

tank720 wrote:Well know that you say so it is to go not togo.

...and it is 'now' and not 'know' I don't see the point in being grammar Nazis if it can be understood.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Slydev nerf parts and accessories store
    CobraNerf
    CobraNerf

Post  CobraNerf Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:11 pm

You guys are ruined a good thread.

Anyway, great work man. Just amazing. I love the idea for the seal. And it's so simple. Just one quick question. Isn't it a pain in the arse to prime? It doesn't look very comfortable.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Joey wrote:
    tank720 wrote:Well know that you say so it is to go not togo.

...and it is 'now' and not 'know' I don't see the point in being grammar Nazis if it can be understood.

Actually I quite like the rule about spelling and grammar, even though sometimes I forget to capitalise the 'i's, when saying I. The most common error is know and now, and it does irk me, but that's just cause I'm OCD and pedantic.

About the write up, very well structured, and thoughtout process, nice, simple and effective. I've done a similar thing to the plunger rod for my NF, though I kept the orginal plunger head cause it allowed me to double-oring it.

Wouldn't dremelling a chanel in the 16mm alu for the oring be better? After adding the first layer of e-tape, that chanel will still provide some positioning for the oring and 2nd layer of e-tape. That mortise like joint betweeb the 16mm and will be very strong cause of the hardware straight through it. Nice!
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:25 pm

CobraNerf wrote:You guys are ruined a good thread.

Anyway, great work man. Just amazing. I love the idea for the seal. And it's so simple. Just one quick question. Isn't it a pain in the arse to prime? It doesn't look very comfortable.

Infact it is real easy (for me) to prime. The handel on the HMNF is 9cm and that is about the width of my hand, two fingers either side of the rod and pull . Altho with the speings that are in there it is kind of hard for some of the younger/smaller guys to prime.
    CobraNerf
    CobraNerf

Post  CobraNerf Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Ok cool. What section is the alumoinium in Bunnings.
    ShootEmUp
    ShootEmUp

Post  ShootEmUp Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Good write up, very creative plunger head/seal.

Only thing i can see, is that having all that aluminum would be heavy and put a lot of stress on the plunger tube and plunger tube shell mounts (if your not gluing it in) something lighter like nylon is much better.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:38 pm

I think the weight from the ALu is negligible really, I'm more concerned about e-tape being the sealing surface, as soon as the shiny surface wears off the tape it starts to generate a lot of friction - an idea might be to build up 2 sides with etape so an O-ring with no e-tape over it can sit in the middle, or 2 pieces of grey 20mm conduit would work too as it fits straight over 16mm alu

Overall though, great ingenuity with the limited available materials here in Aus

Aj

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Bow to me for I am your new god mod

Roger Explosion wrote:you won't even get close to hitting the broardside of Aj's ego using stock streamlines
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:42 pm

phuonguyen wrote:

Wouldn't dremelling a chanel in the 16mm alu for the oring be better? After adding the first layer of e-tape, that chanel will still provide some positioning for the oring and 2nd layer of e-tape. That mortise like joint betweeb the 16mm and will be very strong cause of the hardware straight through it. Nice!

Infact that is a thing I left out, on my first try i did do what you suggested,but my dremel skills are low and did not get it very straight, so i left it out of the write up for my own convenience, but your are correct it would make the rod sit square in the tube.

@ CobraNerf, you can find it down near the wood section, cant remember what aisle sorry.

@ShootEmUp, Indeed, but in the HMNF the plunger tube is 20mm PVC and is glued in there very very well indeed, the weight is not a big issue for me, but could be for others.
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Post  Frankie27 Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Did you happen to notice if they sold non-hollow aluminum rod when you bought this? If so, it wouldn't much heavier, so it could be used to attach the original plunger head.

Just a tip for anyone, Bunnings sells an O-ring and Washer pack with around 150 different pieces. One of these is a rubber washer that can entirely replace the oring in a NF and works much like a skirt seal.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Frankie27 wrote:Did you happen to notice if they sold non-hollow aluminum rod when you bought this? If so, it wouldn't much heavier, so it could be used to attach the original plunger head.

They most likely do altho i didnt see any( because i wasnt looking for it), but fixing the original plunger head to the rod would be a bit tricky. Maybe if you tap a thred into the solid alu rod and used a washer on the top of a wide headed screw, that could work well.

I used the channel because it was about the same size as the NF's original plunger rod. I broke the top off said rod and tryed to fix it to the channel in kind of the same way i did the 16mm alu tube . It worked but with the springs im using i went for a srtonger construuction.

Last edited by gooni on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ShootEmUp
    ShootEmUp

Post  ShootEmUp Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Frankie27 wrote:Did you happen to notice if they sold non-hollow aluminum rod when you bought this? If so, it wouldn't much heavier, so it could be used to attach the original plunger head.

Not sure about solid aluminum rod. But i used 10mm tube and filled the end up with plasti-bond, then screwed the original plunger head strait into that.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Solid Alu rod is not available at any hardware stores in Aus

Aj

Bow to me for I am your new god mod

Roger Explosion wrote:you won't even get close to hitting the broardside of Aj's ego using stock streamlines
    TheDoubleBracket
    TheDoubleBracket

Post  TheDoubleBracket Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 pm

-Aj- wrote:Solid Alu rod is not available at any hardware stores in Aus

Aj
    I think I saw /some/ in bunnings today, but small diameter... not guaranteed though. If it was there it'd be right next to the 16mm alum tube.
    hichrich
    hichrich

Location : Sydney, NSW, Australia, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Post  hichrich Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:23 am

gooni wrote:and that is about the width of my hand, two fingers either side of the rod and pull.

That's what she said.
    Khail
    Khail

Post  Khail Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 pm

-Aj- wrote:Solid Alu rod is not available at any hardware stores in Aus

Aj

I got some from Highpoint Bunnings in Melbourne.
    longstrikeguy
    longstrikeguy

Post  longstrikeguy Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:38 am

My bunnings nevers has any of this stuff
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 am

I know this is a necro, but it isn't someone saying...

"This is cool. if only I could buy a Nitefinder, but I'm soo poor can I haz moneyz?"

It's an update to make this work better...
    Anyway here's what I've done:

I used the same plunger rod as Gooni but where the catch notch is meant to be cut, I filled the underneath with Epoxy-Putty and them cut a notch similar to the Stock Nitefinders Notch.

Also for the Plunger-head, instead of using E-Tape to wrap the O-Ring to make it fit the PT (plunger-tube) I used Teflon tape under the O-Rings to make it fit nicely and i also cut a slot in the E-tape and then Dremeled to make it a bit thinner To Fit the O-Ring Better.
    Also instead of 20mm Alu I used 20.. Orange Conduit because it fits better.

Anyway Here's Some pics:

Epic Plunger Padding
    Gooni's plunger rod Img2762ut Gooni's plunger rod Img2763ag

Gooni's plunger rod Img2764ai Gooni's plunger rod Img2765n Gooni's plunger rod Img2766zg

Gooni's plunger rod Img2767w Gooni's plunger rod Img2768z

Well, I hope this helps anyone attempting this.

- Brad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 am