Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is RTItemplar

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

January 2022

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+5
SnowDragon
Servulus
chinnerz
Frankie27
Ungodlyfreak
9 posters

Rifled barrels

Ungodlyfreak
    Ungodlyfreak

Rifled barrels Empty Rifled barrels

Post  Ungodlyfreak Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 am

Does anyone know how it would be possible to put rifling in a barrel that isn't ridiculously expensive? Im toying with a few ideas, but am not quite sure how to do it. My current plan is to crimp brass tube in such a way as to act as rifling. I'm not entirely sure how to go about it though.
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Rifled barrels Empty Re: Rifled barrels

Post  Frankie27 Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:21 am

It has been proven in the past the rifled barrels do not work with Nerf.
    Search around on NerfHaven, there are some lengthy arguments about it and I believe there is a tutorial on how to do it (which is quite useless)
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 am

Unless your filing was 1mm thick, it would have no effect.

If you still want to know how, just tell me and i'll start drawing up a 'how to'
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:55 am

I have experience in rifling barrels, never done one on a nerf gun yet. I would like to play with it a little, but the cost of rifling a barrel right now isn't feasible. There are numerous issues that will need to be worked out for such a project. All that i am sure i will be able to calculate. As for will it work... that will depend on so many other factors as well, that to say no without putting it into practice would be unscientific.

Personally i have heard the arguments on both sides, but am yet to see to much actual hard evidence of it being done and properly tested. Therefore I wish to hold on to the hypothesis that it may work and until i have tested this my beliefs wont change easily.
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:35 am

I toyed with this dea on the HvZ forums and the conclusion we (That is to say me and two students with engineering degrees) Said that it would have no effect, and would probably do more harm to the shot than good. There's no pressure buildup behind a nerf dart, just air pushing it. Rifling the barrel would only hurt your range.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 am

Why couldn't you have a well fitting sleeve for pressure build up then rifling in the front half of the barrel to get the spin once the dart already has velocity.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Halt, Hammerzeit!
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:19 am

Hmm, I remember back in the good ol' days there was a particular Secret Shot 2 owned by Sandman call Ghandi. His particular mod utilised a 10'' supressor barrel with insulating foam and barrel vents, but the key to its accuracy was the the rifled pattern he made with the drilling of the barrel vents. Or so he says...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HELL YEAH ULTIMATE STREET CRED YO!

Give back to your fellow member and buy his wares. All profits stay in Australia, tune up my VR SS V8, and more.
    In case you're curious about my WTB requests or my Triple Shot products .

Don't worry, I've compiled a list so far of us VIC crew here, yo.

Also, can you people start putting titles in PMs? I can't be bothered trying to figure out what the subject and context is within a PM.

Now a proud owner of a Holden VR Commodore SS V8 with a stage 2 shifter, VVVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!
    Ungodlyfreak
    Ungodlyfreak

Post  Ungodlyfreak Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Hmmm. Well at the moment, i'm more focused on building the actual gun. Once i've finished that, i'm going to try experimenting with a rifled barrel. My only concern is that there's no point having a gun that shoots 200ft+ if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.
    If anyone knows how i could actually going about rifling a barrel, please let me know. Even if it doesn't work, i'd still like to give it a try.
    Are there any alternative ways that could make the dart spin? One thought was to make darts with fins that wrapped around the dart while it is in the breach and then pop up as it leaves the barrel, making the dart spin.
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:37 pm

The fin idea is possible, but the extra drag on the barrel as the fins drag against the barrel on their way out would cull the dart's velocity so much you'd be lucky if it went five feet
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

Post  Dietzie Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Maybe (and just a maybe) cutting a shallow spiral into the dart would provide spin without excess drag.

To grow old is inevitable
    To grow up is optional
    Adult member of the NIC: I PLAY WITH TOY GUNS AND I VOTE

Trying to bring organized wars to the Fraser Coast

Facebook: Knownas Dietzie. Find me through Brisbane Nerf Group or Fraser Coast Nerf Group
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Ungodlyfreak wrote:Hmmm. Well at the moment, i'm more focused on building the actual gun. Once i've finished that, i'm going to try experimenting with a rifled barrel. My only concern is that there's no point having a gun that shoots 200ft+ if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.
    If anyone knows how i could actually going about rifling a barrel, please let me know. Even if it doesn't work, i'd still like to give it a try.
    Are there any alternative ways that could make the dart spin? One thought was to make darts with fins that wrapped around the dart while it is in the breach and then pop up as it leaves the barrel, making the dart spin.

My 4b hits targets quite accurately over 160ft. I have many witnesses at RoF to back that up. It does require heavy darts for that but it does also tell you that rifling is not all the necessary.

Halt, Hammerzeit!
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:53 pm

I am going to assume that this is an air gun that provides an excess burst of moving air and not a silly idea for a plunger-based gun.

Rifling typically only works on stubby projectiles, like bullets, artillery shells and mortars.
    Nerf darts are long and inherently not aerodynamic due to their mass and where it's distributed.
    Making them spin will simply make them wobble and tumble.
    However, if your projectile is relatively stubby and has a decent mass and density, then rifling could be considered.

Fin-stabilisation is interesting, however, one has to wonder that fits in the barrel.
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:46 pm

mull wrote:I am going to assume that this is an air gun that provides an excess burst of moving air and not a silly idea for a plunger-based gun.

Rifling typically only works on stubby projectiles, like bullets, artillery shells and mortars.
    Nerf darts are long and inherently not aerodynamic due to their mass and where it's distributed.
    Making them spin will simply make them wobble and tumble.
    However, if your projectile is relatively stubby and has a decent mass and density, then rifling could be considered.

Fin-stabilisation is interesting, however, one has to wonder that fits in the barrel.

Even if you could find something that would work, I doubt any nerf dart gets the velcoity required to allow it to work.
    Ungodlyfreak
    Ungodlyfreak

Post  Ungodlyfreak Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:10 am

Well it was just a thought. Though i may not even need rifling once it's finished. I'll see how it shoots once i have finished making it.
    The gun itself is a single shot plunger system. Though i intend on using some fairly heavy springs. Most of the compression and tension holding parts are made of steel or aluminium. My surrent issue with the gun is making a trigger system that will work to a decent degree on 1/4" stainless steel rod.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:03 am

I really hate being negative about people's ideas, despite being a realist, because it can destroy potential innovation that may evolve from what is assumed to be foreshadowed failures.

Many creations are formed by the refinement of failures observed, as opposed to simply dropping an idea due to an expected prediction; or merging portions of a failed project into something else pre-existing, to further enhance it.

Good luck with your project, as you will learn something from this.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:41 am