Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is RTItemplar

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

January 2022

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

3 posters

Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review

Sparks
    Sparks

Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review Empty Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review

Post  Sparks Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 am

After five weeks of waiting, I review this blaster, not sold in Australia, The Nerf Firefly REV-8!
    Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review Nerf-firefly-blaster-set-02
    Now as I said before, this blaster isn't sold in Australia, and the only way to get it is to order it online. I ordered mine from a source in Australia back at the start of december, and for some reason, it took 5-6 weeks to get here. But enough of that, lets get to the review.

Design: As you'll see above, the Firefly is one damn fine looking gun, and it's even more impressive in person. It's actually a bit bigger in person as well, and the handle is big enough to support most man-hands. As a nice added feature, on the stock, on both sides it holds a rack to hold your bullets. 9/10.

Comfort: The Firefly is fairly comfortable to hold, and the in-built stock is great, and very comfortable to use. The trigger is fairly good, but the blaster suffers from three factors. The first is that your second hand will want to be doing something, but there really isn't anywhere to hold on to. The second is that the cocking mechanism is awkwardly placed, and a bit difficult to pull back. It just isn't very good to hold on to, and in a bad position to place your spare hand on. The third is that the trigger needs to be pushed very hard, as far as it can go before the dart fires, making it a bit stiff to fire sometimes. Overall, its very nice to carry around, but has a few issues that you'll need to get used to. 7.5/10.

Function: The Firefly is a very impressive gun indeed, boasting a suprisingly high range, which I tested to be a bit further than my Trooper, something I wasn't expecting from what I'd heard about it. The barrel is open, meaning it can be reloaded very quickly, which is something very important in an indoors or FFL game. The barrel itself can take all types of darts, coming with stickies. It performs best with Streamlines, and worst with Stickies, only hitting the 25-30 foot mark with them. Taggers and Whistlers getting roughly the same range, 30-35 feet mainly. The Streamlines need a little more force on them to put in the barrel though, something you don't need to worry about with the other types. The stock holds two 4-round racks on each side, which cannot hold Streamlines, which fall straight through. With the others though, you'll need to push in a little on their heads, or they'll bounce around and fall out. The accuracy is superb, suffering from now design faults. It's a little harder to aim than a pistol, so you'll need to get used to that. All in all, it's a great gun, and I recommend it as a primary for an indoor game, due to the fast reload rate, and for those who play H-VS-Z, a must have.
    10/10.
    Gimmick: The Firefly's gimmick is that it fires glow in the dark darts, thus how it got it's name. It does this using white darts and a flash feature, which can be turned on or off, taking two AA batteries. The problem is, only the sticky part of the darts is glow in the dark, and for the rest to glow, stickers must be wrapped around the dart, which if not applied properly, has a habit of jamming your barrel, so be careful. The flash charge works fairly well, but has a habit of only charging one side of the dart. Consecutive flashes will help charge the rest of the darts in the barrel, so you might want to hit the trigger a few times before priming it. Overall, it's a good idea in theory, and is fairly cool, but it isn't very effective, in practice and in night games, the flash is going to give you away, and isn't very useful in them anyway.
    5/10.

In conclusion. the Firefly is a very neat little gun, with very good ranges and functions, which minorly suffers from a few comfort flaws, and a failed gimmick. The price tag is around 50 dollars, due to having to order it. I haven't modded it yet, but some complaints stem from an unreliable barrel after it's been removed and re-placed, so air restrictor removal can be risky. Overall, its a very good gun for indoor matches and FFL, but slightly limited modding capabilities keep it in secondary position for outdoor games, and FFP.
    Holds: 8 Darts, all types.
    Range: 30-40 feet.
    Rate of Fire: 2 per Second.

Total Rating: 9/10.

For anyone interested, here are the internals.
    Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review 576625_Nerf-Firefly-internals_620

Last edited by Sparks on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    LostBoy
    LostBoy

Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review Empty Re: Nerf Firefly REV-8 Review

Post  LostBoy Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 am

I wish we had this in Australia
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Post  kingkottah Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 am

Inf0rm3r had some during his first shipment when blue foam was new!!!

So A few people around the forums will have one or two.

The main problem about the firefly I noticed when modding was opening the shell as the back half of the firefly is a real pain in the ass and so is a simple AR removal because the turret isn't as easy to open.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:29 pm