Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+16
phuonguyen
Unknown
Silent Scope
TheBradl3s
Brunius
redcricket077
Switchblade
Cerbyn
littlebro05
Mohrlock
JWatt7
Xoenz
Joey
clunk07
seph
Synergie
20 posters

What Mobile Phone Are You?

Synergie
    Synergie

What Mobile Phone Are You? Empty What Mobile Phone Are You?

Post  Synergie Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Lessons on both sides have been learnt in regard to borderline useless threads, I will now make my effort to give this thread some meaning, I may have overlooked a certain phone while I was clouded with my infatuation with the HTC Desire HD. What follows is the original thread...

Pretty simple, tell me the <Manufacturer/Brand> <Model> <Software Version> of your Mobile Phone, Software version is optional, mainly aimed at Android users, but I'm keen to know regardless. I'm looking at getting my hands on the HTC Desire HD soon, fallen in love with it, it was the HD or the Z and the HD had a bigger screen and beefier CPU which won me.

PS: Dont be ashamed to admit some ancient brick.

To begin with:

Nokia 5800 v. 52.0.0.7 (Yes it's fail Symbian, hence the reason Im jumping to Android)
    seph
    seph

What Mobile Phone Are You? Empty Re: What Mobile Phone Are You?

Post  seph Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:24 pm

I have some sheety Samsung Preston, Cheap and has a good camera so that's all I care about.

But I'm getting an iPhone when I get good marks for maths.
    (End of the term) The iPhone is my dad's old one that he has lying around.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Nokia 2130 flip phone. It's nearly 5 years old, and still going strong!!!
    The camera lens is a bit ordinary, and it's still on GSM, but it does the job.
    Not quite a brick, but definitely up there.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I have a Desire HD and a hate it. Tethering and internet hardly works (keeps on dropping out from 3d to h networks so I cant get anything stable), it keeps on forgetting where I am and asks for my timezone even if I have said it, had to reformat it after one of my sms's went corrupt and caused the app to crash and its battery life is a joke (like seriously a JOKE).

Pro's have been the bigger screen, widgets, flashlight and the ability to root the phone (not that I have rooted it yet).

But yeah I haven't had the worlds greatest time with this phone, actually I might bug Vodafone about it because I am getting pretty sick with all of the problems I am getting (especially the lack of working internet and by proxy tethering).

Last edited by Joey on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Apple Iphone 3GS with white back.

It's heavenly on firmware 4.3.

It's ability to create a wifi hotspot, large touch screen, billions of epic games, versatility and ability to look up oznerf and talk on it's chat-box is win.
    Not to mention Jail-breaking and getting all em apps for free and more misc software that makes the iphone even better

And oh man, iphone 4 gets better. You really notice that brilliant screen. I could go on for ages, my Mum and Dad both have the Iphone 4 so hey, first hand experience

Last edited by Xoenz on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Brand name)
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 am

Brand: Sony Ericson
    Model: C510
    Software: I think it just runs off Sony Ericson based software ??

Its a pretty good phone its tough, main flaw is easy to get dirt under keys so its hard to press.
    Has a cybershot slide camera 4-5 megapixel (lol)
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:08 am

Joey wrote:I have a Desire HD and a hate it. Tethering and internet hardly works (keeps on dropping out from 3d to h networks so I cant get anything stable), it keeps on forgetting where I am and asks for my timezone even if I have said it, had to reformat it after one of my sms's went corrupt and caused the app to crash and its battery life is a joke (like seriously a JOKE).

Pro's have been the bigger screen, widgets, flashlight and the ability to root the phone (not that I have rooted it yet).

But yeah I haven't had the worlds greatest time with this phone, actually I might bug Vodafone about it because I am getting pretty sick with all of the problems I am getting (especially the lack of working internet and by proxy tethering).

Oh dear, you're killing me here! However, I do appreciate the brutal and honest opinion. Tethering is a big concern for me and I will certainly look into it's reliability. I also think you should bug Voda about it, certainly is grounds for a repair or replacement, considering you are most likely locked into a two year contract. In terms of the battery, can you confidently get a day out of the battery with some internet and multimedia use?
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:14 am

Synergie wrote:Oh dear, you're killing me here! However, I do appreciate the brutal and honest opinion. Tethering is a big concern for me and I will certainly look into it's reliability. I also think you should bug Voda about it, certainly is grounds for a repair or replacement, considering you are most likely locked into a two year contract. In terms of the battery, can you confidently get a day out of the battery with some internet and multimedia use?

Sometimes I get a day other times I don't, however I can tell you there is no confidence in the phone lasting a whole day without having to charge up again. Especially if I plan it play some angry birds or what not. To make it worse they have coded it pretty badly, when it starts to run out of battery it turns on the screen and beeps at you, which in turn takes up even more battery. Not sure if my speratic battery usage is partly to blame with it not being able to get a good connection (jumping from h to 3g networks cant be good) but as I have 2 other friends who own one I can confidently say that the battery is not great at all.

These problems aside it is a great phone and a big improvement from my last phone (iPhone 3g, which because a PoS after the OS 4.0 Update). If I can get the network working better and possibly pick up a battery extender, juice pack or something then it will be great again. But as this was a phone I was much much much looking forward to getting my experiences have been somewhat lacking. Part of me wonders if it would have been better if I got an iPhone 4 :/
    Mohrlock
    Mohrlock
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  Mohrlock Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:25 am

Apple iPhone 16gb 3GS running on 4.3 (8F190) OS

I'm only a few months out from a new phone myself and know which direction I'm going straight after this one I actually happen to be a Manager of a mobile phone store so I just had to reply in here.

My questions to you though Synergie is what exactly are you looking for in a phone? Gimme a ball park of what you need/use (I'm guessing Android or iOS is on the top of the cards?) and what your general daily activities on your phone are & I should be able to help you find the right phone that's currently on the market. Also it'd be a great help to know what Network you are tied in with & if you are willing to change for the sake of a phone
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:53 am

Pretty sure my phone just eats all your phones up. Nokia 2120 or something like that. Simple and easy to use Haha.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 am

Mohrlock wrote:Apple iPhone 16gb 3GS running on 4.3 (8F190) OS

I'm only a few months out from a new phone myself and know which direction I'm going straight after this one I actually happen to be a Manager of a mobile phone store so I just had to reply in here.

My questions to you though Synergie is what exactly are you looking for in a phone? Gimme a ball park of what you need/use (I'm guessing Android or iOS is on the top of the cards?) and what your general daily activities on your phone are & I should be able to help you find the right phone that's currently on the market. Also it'd be a great help to know what Network you are tied in with & if you are willing to change for the sake of a phone

I would like to think I've considered all the angles but all suggestions are appreciated, especially from your unique position. From the outset, I must proclaim to be a power user whether that be on a mobile or desktop platform, so I like to have as much tech as possible.

To answer your first question specifically, Android OS is a must, due to the developer base, WP7 isn't well supported enough and iOS-devices (Apple in General) are a NO-GO for me. On a typical day, I would like to listen to about 3hours of music (train trips, walking around the city between Uni classes), watch about 10minutes of video (streaming news reports), *maybe* make a call or two, send a few texts, jump on Facebook for about 10minutes and most importantly, PUSH email & MS Exchange Sync for the entire day. That's a very specific, itemized list of what the battery is going to have to power and as you can see, most of the functions I use are battery-intensive "Smartphone" functions.

Right now I'm with 3, pretty happy with them, if necessary I'll migrate to Vodafone (with the VHA merger and all), moving to another carrier will require a VERY compelling reason, Telstra's NextG network is not necessary for me, I don't live in woop woop and as such do not need to pay the ridiculous premium that is Telstra's way.
    Mohrlock
    Mohrlock
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  Mohrlock Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:46 am

Synergie wrote:To answer your first question specifically, Android OS is a must, due to the developer base, WP7 isn't well supported enough and iOS-devices (Apple in General) are a NO-GO for me. On a typical day, I would like to listen to about 3hours of music (train trips, walking around the city between Uni classes), watch about 10minutes of video (streaming news reports), *maybe* make a call or two, send a few texts, jump on Facebook for about 10minutes and most importantly, PUSH email & MS Exchange Sync for the entire day. That's a very specific, itemized list of what the battery is going to have to power and as you can see, most of the functions I use are battery-intensive "Smartphone" functions.

Right now I'm with 3, pretty happy with them, if necessary I'll migrate to Vodafone (with the VHA merger and all), moving to another carrier will require a VERY compelling reason, Telstra's NextG network is not necessary for me, I don't live in woop woop and as such do not need to pay the ridiculous premium that is Telstra's way.

I happen to work for a company that deals directly with VHA on both fronts, 3 & Vodafone (preferring not to mention Crazy Johns, ah crap I just did! lol), and personally am sided with 3 for their superior data network.

If you're avoiding the iOS (don't blame you, it's a personal choice) then in the current market I'd be looking at either the HTC Desire Z (currently only stocked on Voda for us), HTC Desire HD (stick with 3 for it) or you can even take a look at the HTC Legend (take the new black version to save messing around updating the OS).

Considering your central location (I assume your pretty close to CBD) you shouldn't have many if any problems with getting a 3G connection and should at bare minimum be reaching the 3.2mbps download rate (7.2 in non-congested areas/times). The reason I mention only HTC is because they do have superior battery life and other current Android phones we have on either of the two networks are rather shite in most departments.

With yourself currently on 3 it's actually a seemless merge to Vodafone if you do want to jump for the Z (an internal process for us as easy as doing a normal upgrade), but bare in mind Voda does have a slightly lesser network whilst we merge our towers over the next 12 months to allow for Voda to "piggyback" our 3G awesomeness. Personally if I were choosing I'd be going for the Desire HD, purely due to the fact that the Z has only just been released and we always wait for at least 2 months before we push a product hard (teething problems in any new "powerhouse" phone are always there).

Honestly for now, if not the phone, the only reason to jump to Voda would be for the Infinite plans we offer now; just watch out for the Data and the very little voice mail & international calls you can use (eg. $45 Infinite only lets you use $45 worth of Voicemail/international calls each month).

It has the largest screen, modest battery life (490hr standby, 5.3hr talktime, turning off your 3G connectivity can push your battery a bit further if you are not intending on using data/calls), the largest screen of the three and pretty nice "fluff" features like 8mp camera, 1.5gb internal harddrive (expandable to 32gb with SD Micro HD), 720p HD video recording & 1ghz processor. Oh and if your into that kinda thing it does tout having Dolby Mobile & SRS "virtual" surround sound
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 am

Mohrlock wrote:I happen to work for a company that deals directly with VHA on both fronts, 3 & Vodafone (preferring not to mention Crazy Johns, ah crap I just did! lol), and personally am sided with 3 for their superior data network.

If you're avoiding the iOS (don't blame you, it's a personal choice) then in the current market I'd be looking at either the HTC Desire Z (currently only stocked on Voda for us), HTC Desire HD (stick with 3 for it) or you can even take a look at the HTC Legend (take the new black version to save messing around updating the OS).

Considering your central location (I assume your pretty close to CBD) you shouldn't have many if any problems with getting a 3G connection and should at bare minimum be reaching the 3.2mbps download rate (7.2 in non-congested areas/times). The reason I mention only HTC is because they do have superior battery life and other current Android phones we have on either of the two networks are rather shite in most departments.

With yourself currently on 3 it's actually a seemless merge to Vodafone if you do want to jump for the Z (an internal process for us as easy as doing a normal upgrade), but bare in mind Voda does have a slightly lesser network whilst we merge our towers over the next 12 months to allow for Voda to "piggyback" our 3G awesomeness. Personally if I were choosing I'd be going for the Desire HD, purely due to the fact that the Z has only just been released and we always wait for at least 2 months before we push a product hard (teething problems in any new "powerhouse" phone are always there).

Honestly for now, if not the phone, the only reason to jump to Voda would be for the Infinite plans we offer now; just watch out for the Data and the very little voice mail & international calls you can use (eg. $45 Infinite only lets you use $45 worth of Voicemail/international calls each month).

It has the largest screen, modest battery life (490hr standby, 5.3hr talktime, turning off your 3G connectivity can push your battery a bit further if you are not intending on using data/calls), the largest screen of the three and pretty nice "fluff" features like 8mp camera, 1.5gb internal harddrive (expandable to 32gb with SD Micro HD), 720p HD video recording & 1ghz processor. Oh and if your into that kinda thing it does tout having Dolby Mobile & SRS "virtual" surround sound

You pretty much confirmed all of my thoughts on everything you've mentioned (I do alot of homework you see :D), the Voda Infinite plans are no real use to me, I don't make a heap of calls and texts but I like data, that's why the 49 Cap seemed perfect since the Desire HD is free on it and has 1.5GB data each month. In terms of phones, I decided on the HD over the Z mainly due to the slightly bigger screen and slightly quicker CPU, I don't mind an onscreen keyboard as that is what I've used for the past two years anyway.

One additional question, this will be my third contract renewal with 3, my actual contract is up in June but I am willing to pay it out early for a new handset, according to My3, to end the contract early will cost ~$170, do you think I would have ANY luck bartering down the $170 to anything between $100 to $150 in the knowledge I am renewing my contract anyway? I would be stupid to assume it could be bargained to anything less than $100, what I'm fishing for is any sort of discount off the early termination fee ranging from $20 to $70.
    Cerbyn
    Cerbyn

Post  Cerbyn Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:23 am

JWatt7 wrote:Brand: Sony Ericson
    Model: C510
    Software: I think it just runs off Sony Ericson based software ??

Its a pretty good phone its tough, main flaw is easy to get dirt under keys so its hard to press.
    Has a cybershot slide camera 4-5 megapixel (lol)

That was my last phone, definitely have to agree on its toughness. I dropped mine in a cup of Jacks and coke and it didn't even turn off Lasted me about 6 months after the incident too til it started to spaz out and die. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S, runs on Android 2.2. The battery life is pretty good considering what I do on it (alot of gaming and internet use) and I usually get a day out of it. The browser on it is amazing, runs flash in webpages and everything, plays embedded videos flawlessly. Screen is pretty nice, has multitouch and looks good even in direct light. It also has Swype for typing that makes writing fast and easy (especially for people like me with bigger fingers, as you don't actually have to be accurate). All in all I think it's a great phone
    Switchblade
    Switchblade

Post  Switchblade Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:38 am

Brand: Nokia
    Model: E63
    Software: Don't know, don't care.

this phone WILL survive a nuclear explosion,as will most nokia phones. I can facebook, internet,youtube, msn all day and the battery will take it. I generally recharge it at night time just out of habit.

excellent phone.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 am

Switchblade wrote:Brand: Nokia
    Model: E63
    Software: Don't know, don't care.

this phone WILL survive a nuclear explosion,as will most nokia phones. I can facebook, internet,youtube, msn all day and the battery will take it. I generally recharge it at night time just out of habit.

excellent phone.

Mum has this phone and I can attest to their toughness and Nokia's in general, however Nokia really dropped the ball with software and I have suffered the last two years with Symbian S60v5, with it's abysmal developer base, which inevitably means there aren't anywhere near the number of apps available compared to iOS and Android. Right now, I think the Nokia N8 by far is a supeiror smartphone in terms of hardware, but it's running Symbian^3, virtually the same platform as S60v5, with the same developer problem, it's a damn shame too because the Phone is slick, quick and has one hell of a camera, but it's a two-way street, for a smartphone to be effective, you need top hardware AND software, which has lead me to HTC and Android.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:35 am

Synergie wrote:
    Joey wrote:I have a Desire HD and a hate it. Tethering and internet hardly works (keeps on dropping out from 3d to h networks so I cant get anything stable), it keeps on forgetting where I am and asks for my timezone even if I have said it, had to reformat it after one of my sms's went corrupt and caused the app to crash and its battery life is a joke (like seriously a JOKE).

Oh dear, you're killing me here! However, I do appreciate the brutal and honest opinion. Tethering is a big concern for me and I will certainly look into it's reliability. I also think you should bug Voda about it, certainly is grounds for a repair or replacement, considering you are most likely locked into a two year contract. In terms of the battery, can you confidently get a day out of the battery with some internet and multimedia use?

I have A Desire HD too. The actual experience is cool, nice apps and widgets. BUT, Battery life is so crap it isn't funny. I'm usually satisfied with what I have even if others say it's crap but the battery life on this phone is so bad. Fully charged in the morning, flat at around 5pm. Next, Vodadone are absolutely crap. They restrict this phone's potential so much. The GPS also screws up and takes a long time to get a lock. Mum has an iPhone 4 and when we turn our GPS on, it sucks a lot to see the iPhone getting a lock in less than 2 seconds. The sound is also crappy. The DHD is basically a huge facepalm. I wouldn't say don't get it, it looks cool and is cool but lacks where it matters. I still like it because it lets me play FIFA on the train (without screwing up). 8 months of contract left
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 am

Nokia 2690.

Meh. I don't see any point in a huge fancy phone.
    Mohrlock
    Mohrlock
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  Mohrlock Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am

Synergie wrote:One additional question, this will be my third contract renewal with 3, my actual contract is up in June but I am willing to pay it out early for a new handset, according to My3, to end the contract early will cost ~$170, do you think I would have ANY luck bartering down the $170 to anything between $100 to $150 in the knowledge I am renewing my contract anyway? I would be stupid to assume it could be bargained to anything less than $100, what I'm fishing for is any sort of discount off the early termination fee ranging from $20 to $70.

Check your inbox; sadly something I can't talk about in an open forum
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 am

Mohrlock wrote:
    Synergie wrote:One additional question, this will be my third contract renewal with 3, my actual contract is up in June but I am willing to pay it out early for a new handset, according to My3, to end the contract early will cost ~$170, do you think I would have ANY luck bartering down the $170 to anything between $100 to $150 in the knowledge I am renewing my contract anyway? I would be stupid to assume it could be bargained to anything less than $100, what I'm fishing for is any sort of discount off the early termination fee ranging from $20 to $70.

Check your inbox; sadly something I can't talk about in an open forum

PM Sent!

Better not screw me
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 am

Aw hell, might as well join in. I got a Nokia 6300 absolytly no idea what firmware as ive never bothered to update it Its a phone, makes called, texts and goes on facebook! lol

- Brad

Last edited by TheBradl3s on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am

My belief is that if one uses their handset for games and music, it's to be expected that battery life will suck.

• Manufactuer: Sony Ericsson
    • Model: Xperia X10 Mini Pro
    • Firmware: Android 1.6

I'm well aware of a 2.1 update; unfortunately my firewall won't allow me to connect.

I can't stress how much I love the physical flipout QWERTY pad. It makes my text messages easier to type, and makes makes posting here easy to do from any location.

One of my gripes is the 320x240 resolution, and the crappy homescreen widgets interface (only one widget pet slide screen). Treat this handset as if it does nearly everything from a small package, yet can be hampered by its small package.

Don't use Kingston-branded micro SDHC cards.
    Mohrlock
    Mohrlock
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  Mohrlock Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:52 am

Silent Scope wrote:I'm well aware of a 2.1 update; unfortunately my firewall won't allow me to connect.

2.2 now, well worth the hassle if you can bothered getting it on your device. The X10 Mini is a pretty nice phone actually! One of my favourites to sell

Silent Scope wrote:Don't use Kingston-branded micro SDHC cards.

Sandisk is probably the most reliable, shortly followed by Transcend. About the only thing Kingston ever did right was making RAM for PCs
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:07 am

Mohrlock wrote:
    Sandisk is probably the most reliable, shortly followed by Transcend. About the only thing Kingston ever did right was making RAM for PCs

Yes I can agree with you there I usually use scan disks' they are reliable, but im currently using a Dick Smiths brand one atm and it hasent skipped a beat! lol

- Brad
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am

Iphone 4 beats all, until Iphone 5 anyway. I've never used an android phone but from what I've seen they're only a step down from the Iphone range.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Unknown wrote:Iphone 4 beats all, until Iphone 5 anyway. I've never used an android phone but from what I've seen they're only a step down from the Iphone range.

That's not very constructive criticism. iPhone has some pros. Not the best though.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Unknown wrote:Iphone 4 beats all, until Iphone 5 anyway. I've never used an android phone but from what I've seen they're only a step down from the Iphone range.

I would accept you're opinion if you gave all the options a fair go, but what you've said is complete ignorance and thats what I think is very wrong with society today, everyone worships Steve Jobs without question, where alot of users who don't know better as IT is not their area of expertise, will simply go with the pack and get an iPhone excluding all other options, even when another device may be a better fit for them, I of course do not discount that an iOS device may be perfect for alot of users but I get annoyed when ignorance takes over.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Just my opinion, don't like it? Don't read it.
    Simple fix.

I don't care about let alone worship Steve Jobs, I just like his products and I think Iphones are you best, you don't - do I care no. It's an OPINION, I have mine you have yours.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Unknown wrote:Just my opinion, don't like it? Don't read it.
    Simple fix.

I don't care about let alone worship Steve Jobs, I just like his products and I think Iphones are you best, you don't - do I care no. It's an OPINION, I have mine you have yours.

Here is MY opinion then; you are an idiot.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Here's my opinion, get the topic back on track or it's gone.

My phone - LG Viewty. Got it a while ago, kinda meh it's a phone. It does what it's designed to do.
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

Post  Dietzie Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Motorola V3xx on Telstra. Great reception (has full signal where other Testra phones have none) Metal front face and battery cover. Has been dropped, kicked, drop kicked, cooked in the sun, rain soaked and EMPed. 3.5 years old and still going strong.
    Big plus for me is it has Tetris
    Cerbyn
    Cerbyn

Post  Cerbyn Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:18 am

I guess we can't have a discussion without an idiotic 12 year old troll turning up. iPhones truly are terrible, all the new features they added to the iPhone 4 are just standard features that real phones have had for years. That Facetime crap is just a joke. Nothing Apple is worth buying, the non-Apple alternatives are always gonna be better. Also there's been several comparisons between the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S showing the Galaxy is the superior phone in almost every way, and with the Galaxy S 2 coming soon the iPhone really will be a completely obsolete phone.

phuonguyen wrote:Here's my opinion, get the topic back on track or it's gone.

My phone - LG Viewty. Got it a while ago, kinda meh it's a phone. It does what it's designed to do.
    My girlfriend got a Viewty when they first came out. Was a pretty good phone, one of the better early generation touch screens, pitty hers decided to die, then 3 wouldn't fix it even with the warrenty
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 am

Cerbyn wrote:I guess we can't have a discussion without an idiotic 12 year old troll turning up. iPhones truly are terrible, all the new features they added to the iPhone 4 are just standard features that real phones have had for years. That Facetime crap is just a joke. Nothing Apple is worth buying, the non-Apple alternatives are always gonna be better.

I have got to say that on the flip side that comment is just as bad as the one that says that Apple phones are the best.

Apple phones are great, the retina display is the best display on the market, the iPad is actually very cool (if not overpriced). It is statements like 'everything apple sucks' or 'apple make the best products ever by far' that cause this BS. This is the problem with over-marketing a product it causes a divide that makes people think that it is the best thing since sliced bread and others to become offended by its very mention.

Here is the bottom line, iPhones are great, Android phones are great, depending on the user the experience of one will be better than the other. If you are going to flaunt your own opinion don't make large sweeping generalizations without being prepared to have to defend them, while everyone's opinion is valid a statement isn't.

On topic, I hope I haven't turned you off the desire completely while battery life is an issue so it has been with any other smartphone I have used. We are getting to the stage where our phones are so powerful (seriously 1ghz, go back to 2000 and blow people away with that) that large battery usage is unavoidable. We have to be smarter with how much we use our phones, or even start to get a secondary device instead. I am going back to vodaphone this week about the network problem, if this thread is still around by then I will report how it goes.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:30 am

Joey wrote:On topic, I hope I haven't turned you off the desire completely while battery life is an issue so it has been with any other smartphone I have used. We are getting to the stage where our phones are so powerful (seriously 1ghz, go back to 2000 and blow people away with that) that large battery usage is unavoidable. We have to be smarter with how much we use our phones, or even start to get a secondary device instead. I am going back to vodaphone this week about the network problem, if this thread is still around by then I will report how it goes.

The battery is a concern, but truth be told I was silently sceptical when I discovered it had a 1GHz CPU, it's something I'll have to live with as I have decided to get the Desire HD regardless :D. Other than the battery, this phone ticks all the boxes for me.

One last point on this thread, I would very much like it to stay up (especially since Joey is heading out to Vodafone this week), but with the last few posts, this has been put in jeopardy. There's a very important lesson I have had to learn over the past few years, I once became quite hostile towards Apple products when they came up in conversation, this is wrong and I have learnt to move past that, nowadays if someone talks about such products I jovially express my distaste and more importantly, not dwell on the point and move on. I believe this lesson would be useful for those on both sides before the moderators move in for a second time and take down this thread.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:04 am

Synergie are you getting the $49 cap? For 1 Year? I noticed a lot of signal loss on my DHD lately. On numerous occasions I have found the heart of Melbourne City gives good signal but I have been blanked out a few times now. Seriously, I wouldn't mind the battery life if Vodafone had a stronger network. Oh and Synergie, gaming on this device is pretty Sweet. I'm sure you're gonna love it out of the box

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 am