Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+29
Echoes
Xoenz
Eclipse
UtahR
killerbunny
XvGR1MREAPERvX
thenerfnerf
Godspeed_22
Zandor
mull
kingkottah
Chaos-Blades
SnowDragon
Swatsonia
Waywardarrow
JWatt7
taerkitty
seph
KingCam
Joey
clunk07
Unknown
abowden
CaptainSurprise
Synergie
Silent Scope
littlebro05
Twist
Brunius
33 posters

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war?

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war?

Post  littlebro05 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 am

@Chaos-Blade

I generally use my Longshot until all the darts exhausted from my clips and then just swap to my furyfire or quadshot. They're just so much more convenient because you can load on the go.

I still like wearing the vest though, it makes me feel more 'in the game' haha.
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war?

Post  SnowDragon Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Synergie wrote:
    SnowDragon wrote:
    littlebro05 wrote:Well at Brisbane, SnowDragon wears a full BDU uniform with black vest and he uses stock coloured blasters. So I guess it would be fine? Just check with your organiser. You can also get that in olive green too.

Granted it's without my gloves, helmet, balaclava and goggles, but if I can get away with wearing this inside the freaking airport and on-board a freaking plane, you can get away with warring in like gear. Picture to go with LB05's post.

Got a closer-up, unobstructed shot of your tac vest and also tell me where you got it from?

EDIT: Also, I think it was your backyard war video I watched where you had a gun-mounted camera, mind explaining how you did that and what equipment you used? (To prevent cluttering this thread, you may want to consider PMing this answer to me)

The vest is an FBSE, favoured by the US army over in Iraq, amazingly. It weighs 1.7 kilos with the dummy armour plates in and is great, looks pretty alright as well.

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Molle%20Tactical%20FSBE%20Style%20Vest-OD

And because it's awesome, you can also get CIRS 1000D vests that weigh 3.4 kilos and looks craptonnes better.

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 1000D%20CIRS%20Tactical%20Combat%20Vest%20Ver%202%20OD

It's an awesome way to carry gear around, and you always rock up the best dressed to wars
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 am

Well I've found my new tactical vest, one is slightly used from the UK, HERE, failing that auction I'll grab THIS one from China.
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Who needs vests when you can have the "Supa-nerf-annoying-extremely-awkward-chinese-fannygrabing-clip" Shown as below.

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Jks10

Now been serious and not making this a "spam-liek" post you can buy webbing with magazine pouches and a ration holder "sits at back of webbing to hold your rations" that fits a 35 dart drum magazine from Aussie Disposals

PS. The link will take you to the online webbing shop.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:16 pm

I'd like to keep things simple and stick to a OG Y-point harness webbing, 'nam style (they were still using them up to Operation Gothic Serpent in the 90s).

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Main.php?g2_view=core

Anyone got any experiences with this setup?
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Post  kingkottah Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Silent Scope wrote:I'd like to keep things simple and stick to a OG Y-point harness webbing, 'nam style (they were still using them up to Operation Gothic Serpent in the 90s).

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Main.php?g2_view=core

You bet I do, its called an alice pack which is complete when you are acually carring the pack not just the webbing. The main problem is carring it for hours with 2 full canteens and some food. The cadets still use them but some of my mates got issued pre "Nam'-WWII webbing which has to be replaced. The tactical vests are way more comfortable and carry more.
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:48 pm

I have a lot of experience with them, i was in the cadets :)they arnt heavy with "2 full canteens and rations" I carried my everything with me for a week at Pukapunyal, its the nam packs that hurt. Btw Steyrs are pretty cool to shoot.
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Post  kingkottah Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Im AAFC and we had all this extra shit on ours and we were doing all day patrolls and diving from cars and planes (by accident) it gets heavy.
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:21 pm

kingkottah wrote:
    Silent Scope wrote:I'd like to keep things simple and stick to a OG Y-point harness webbing, 'nam style (they were still using them up to Operation Gothic Serpent in the 90s).

You bet I do, its called an alice pack which is complete when you are acually carring the pack not just the webbing. The main problem is carring it for hours with 2 full canteens and some food. The cadets still use them but some of my mates got issued pre "Nam'-WWII webbing which has to be replaced. The tactical vests are way more comfortable and carry more.

Yeah Kingkottah and I are 3l1t3, he's in Airforce and I'm in army.

This webbing setup is good, it dosn't bother me to carry it around all day with a heavy jumper, Vietnamese war radio, food, 2 litres of water, various cooking utensils.

So webbing is the way to go
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:36 pm

My god, I have not seen that Nam-era webbing for nearly 10 years.
    Getting a bit of nostalgia there.

Now that I remember that it was a piece of crap to deal with and decided to hand it back to the quartermaster, and bought my own kit.
    - The chafing from the ALICE clips holding the bloody canteens.
    - The strap buckles instead of clips to hold the flaps.
    - The need to unwear the webbing to reach the rear pouch (the bastard strap loops), or get your buddy to forage in the compartment (making sure that it's an unmarked can of two fruits and not an unmarked can of baked beans - both the same size and appearance, shake to tell the difference).

Tactical vests and chest rigs have their own problems too, but not so relevant in Nerfing.
    A total hassle when low crawling (flat on stomach, gliding along the ground using fingers and toes to inch forward) with all those damn loaded pouches in the way.
    Also, it's absolutely crap when combined with a yowie suit (ghillie suit), which pros wouldn't do anyways.

AND DAMN YOU AN/PRC-77 RADIOS AND NAM PACKS.

tl;dr
    If you are putting mags in the rear pouch of that webbing, it's going to rattle a lot; and keep secure because it's held together by straps fed through a buckle, which you can't reach without taking the kit off.
    And ALICE clips used on the kit can cause chafing.
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm

We used to use the old webbing that you're talking about. It never gave me troubles.

I used my webbing for and indoor war at home. It holds 2X clips in the Steyr pouches at the front. You can also fit 2 in the Minimi (Light machine gun) ammo pouch.

mull
    mull

Post  mull Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't think it was suited to bony little runts like I was at that time.

Bone and skin against ALICE clips, no good.

Mind you, I was able to fit through the window security bars of my HQ building to open it from the inside, which was fitted months later after a theft.
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

OK, obviously everyone has had different experiences with them, but personally, seeing as I am a fat-arse, I find using things like that very comfortable.
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 am

I am mainly skin and bones but it wasn't that heavy. You can buy webbing ammo pouches seperate. I believe you could fit a 35 dart drum magazine in the back ration pouch "Back pouch."

I have worn it with a Ghillie/Yowie suit for a stealth drill we did in cadets. It wasn't a problem, only problem was the cookings utensils banging around in my webbing so I shoved it full of rags I bought from a fishing shop before I went and it was silent - Note I actually won that drill.
    Zandor
    Zandor

Post  Zandor Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:22 am

Silent Scope wrote:Use the bandolier kit as a waist belt.

I haven't gone to the extremes of the 'army-like' vests (as awesome as they look :P) but this is what I very recently did.

Short story: I work in a camera shop and got 2x discontinued models of a photography gear vest cheap. It's designed to have a separate belt unit strapped to the bottom, but I didn't bother ordering it since it wasn't nerf friendly.

Already having a bandolier, but knowing it wouldn't work so great with the vest on also, I managed to work out a way of threading it through the bottom (with some modding of course, which also led to a nice mini mod - see if you can find it in the pic below :P)

I'll do a full modification post in the mod thread if anyone is interested.

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 197252_10150120576762270_596857269_6205324_3310658_n
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 am

JWatt7 wrote:I am mainly skin and bones but it wasn't that heavy. You can buy webbing ammo pouches seperate. I believe you could fit a 35 dart drum magazine in the back ration pouch "Back pouch."

I have worn it with a Ghillie/Yowie suit for a stealth drill we did in cadets. It wasn't a problem, only problem was the cookings utensils banging around in my webbing so I shoved it full of rags I bought from a fishing shop before I went and it was silent - Note I actually won that drill.

Dont they teach you to pad all your utensils?

You get to wear yowies. Ich bin jelly.

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 am

@Zandor - That vest looks really practical! I like the way it looks to. I think it looks like it's a HvZ vest though haha. Kind of like 'made from scratch' to defend yourself against the zombies.

In HvZ, I prefer to play as the 'civilian'. Double Shot and shells in some pouches haha.
    Waywardarrow
    Waywardarrow

How do YOU carry your clips around at a nerf war? - Page 2 Empty webbing

Post  Waywardarrow Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:48 am

If anyone plans to use belt webbing (either nam era, or the newer auscam version) definitely get a belt comforter with it. The problem with the older styles are that there is no padding between where the clips attach to the belt and where they contact the body, hence chafing occurs.

In terms of comfort with belt webbing compared to chest webbing,it really is up to the how each is set up. If too much weight is carried on a vest it will kill your shoulders, however if wearing the belt webbing its designed to spread the weight between the shoulders and hips. Also depending on the material of the vest it might trap in the body heat given off whilst running around.

Waywardarrow
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:41 am

seph wrote:You get to wear yowies. Ich bin jelly.
    Well, I had made my own (I have industrial sewing machines) and only used it in bivouacs, so there was no issue.
    It still has that lovely, matured earthy smell, even though it hasn't been used for nearly 10 years.

You wider guys can easily shift the pouches of the ALICE webbing towards your sides as you have more belt to work with, I couldn't.
    Weight wasn't an issue with them.
    It just didn't do the job well enough for me.

But for Nerfing, it's not that bad, I would think, as you won't be spending silly amounts of active time with it.
    It's just not great if you had to spend more than 12 hours a day with it loaded for 5 or so days straight, with the occasional radio and a rotten Nam pack, constantly hiking in hilly terrain with minimal rest periods.

The newer MOLLE webbing are better, but the plastic clips that replaced the metal ALICE ones were harder to re-configure with.
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:00 am

Are you still in cadets?
    Where you at last years AFX because there where some Victorians there
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:15 am

Retired, hence the yowie suit was hanged up for a while.
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 am

What type of yowie suit do you have? Here is the one I bought its washable and is good quality with my experiences with ghillie/yowie suits.

Plus two vests I spotted - http://www.kids-army.com/products/Kids-Black-Combat-Vest.html - http://www.kids-army.com/products/Kids-Camouflage-Combat-Vest-%252d-Woodland.html

And for the bigger member we have - http://www.kids-army.com/products/Youth%7B47%7DAdult-Woodland-Digital-Camouflage-Tactical-Vest.html
    Godspeed_22
    Godspeed_22

Post  Godspeed_22 Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:26 am

Can anyone link me to specific items that I can use to carry a 35 drum? I've looked around, but I'd prefer to get something that another member has tried and works well.
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:34 am

If you look at the alice pack a few posts up, the back pouch "the big one" should house one 35 dart drum and maybe a couple 6 shot mags.
    Godspeed_22
    Godspeed_22

Post  Godspeed_22 Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 am

JWatt7 wrote:If you look at the alice pack a few posts up, the back pouch "the big one" should house one 35 dart drum and maybe a couple 6 shot mags.

Where can I get one?
    JWatt7
    JWatt7

Post  JWatt7 Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:23 am

From you local Aussie Disposals or if you don't have one near by you can order them online.

You will need to buy at least a belt and pouch you can by them seperate.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 am

JWatt7 wrote:What type of yowie suit do you have?
    As I had mentioned earlier, I made my own as I have some sewing sewing skills.
    It's in a hooded coat style, rather than an overall (a compromise for movement, flexibility, comfort, etc).
    Q-store had a bunch of old uniforms in an unusable condition (faded, battered fabric and holes, etc.), perfect as base material for making such a suit.
    Grabbed one many sizes too big to accommodate me and my kit.

Cut and tear up other old uniforms into strips and also some scrim.
    Sew all that together, adding a hood, some vents and expandable pleats.
    Treat the suit roughly by beating, dragging, soaking and rolling in mud, then let dry.
    And never ever wash.

Hence, it still smells nice from all that dirt and wood impregnated into the fabric.
    But keep it well away from fire.

Yowie suits, if you're going to make one, it's only worth the effort if you go all the way with it because it requires a bit of work to make it even look half decent.
    And I'm still not satisfied with it, but I can't be bothered fixing it because I don't see the need in using it again (unless I'm totally no longer busy with other projects on backlog).

Godspeed_22 wrote:Where can I get one?
    Most army surplus stores have them.

Components:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-purpose_Lightweight_Individual_Carrying_Equipment
    thenerfnerf
    thenerfnerf

Post  thenerfnerf Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:44 pm

There is are surplus in Perth called wellington surplus that ships free around aus i got my vest there.
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Godspeed_22 wrote:
    JWatt7 wrote:If you look at the alice pack a few posts up, the back pouch "the big one" should house one 35 dart drum and maybe a couple 6 shot mags.

Where can I get one?

Get them at your Aussy disposals, but it may be a little awquard to reach to, if you have the clips done up
    XvGR1MREAPERvX
    XvGR1MREAPERvX

Post  XvGR1MREAPERvX Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 am

Hahaha, I use a loose belt and just shove my clips there..
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:49 am

Pants with big pockets.
    UtahR
    UtahR

Post  UtahR Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

None of the guns I use are clip-based (Maverick & Vulcan), So I just stuff my pocket full of loose darts. I hook the spare Vulcan belt into my pants belt.
    Plus I attach the guns themselves to shoulder straps so I can free my hands quickly for reloading if need be.
    The strap on the Maverick also allows me to cock and fire it one-handed.
    Eclipse
    Eclipse

Post  Eclipse Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 am

I haven't exactly attended a war yet, so I haven't got much experience in the field, but I tend to use a Nerf Camo Ammo pouch, which is actually great. By the way, on Aussie Disposals, they list an M16 ammo pouch- do these hold Nerf clips, and if so, how many?
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 am

danerfdude wrote:I haven't exactly attended a war yet, so I haven't got much experience in the field, but I tend to use a Nerf Camo Ammo pouch, which is actually great. By the way, on Aussie Disposals, they list an M16 ammo pouch- do these hold Nerf clips, and if so, how many?

I tried using the pouch at the war and it kept flopping around and being a nuisance.

That pouch is now owned by 2120
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:02 am

I'm interested in getting a NERF tac vest but I'm pretty sure I'll be too fat ripped for it to fit me.

Plus I'll need something that'll hold up my drop-leg holster so I don't have to worry about my pants falling down.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am