Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
littlebro05
clunk07
Sadavi5
7 posters

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon)

Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) Empty Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon)

Post  Sadavi5 Mon May 30, 2011 6:56 am

Hey, guys. First thing I'm posting here. Be gentle. >.>

A note: Some pictures are very large and I haven't figured out how to get them smaller yet. You can see them by shrinking the page down just a tad... really sorry for the inconvenience.

I did some tests on the gun to see where the accuracy and power issues happened. I figured that at least some of it was that the flywheels didn't grip the darts tight enough, and the darts tended to veer into the narrowing orange tip because of it, so the first step was to cut off the orange tip. Simple enough, I just used a thin-bladed hand saw. I identified the wheels (pictured below) and used three layers of clear coat Krylon spray paint to thicken them up. They now grip the darts better, and thus can throw them more accurately forward. Plus, without the narrow barrel, there's nothing to collide into. Accuracy problem doubly solved.

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) Buzz+Bee+Tommy+20+05
    The Flywheels of another Tommy 20, un-clear-coat-ed. The combined clear coat on my wheels pushes them in about another quarter-centimeter, which is enough to grip the dart.

Next step was power mod. I noticed that the flywheels went slower when the metal plates (Pictured below) didn't quite touch. So, I used a thin plastic shim to push the metal slightly further out so that the connection was tighter, and the flywheels slightly faster. This gave me some extra distance and stopped the Tommy 20's occasion problem with randomly stopping for no reason whatsoever.

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) Buzz+Bee+Tommy+20+Mod+04
    The metal plates. The vertical ones are now slightly further out for a more secure connection.

Next was the fun part for me: The aesthetic modification. The major changes were the Barrel Extension (done with a plumbing coupler and a cup-holder), the switch-out of the stock (replaced it with the stock from a Buzz Bee Hunter and the priming handle of a Super Soaker Rattler), and the scope (another piece from the mutilated Hunter made useful with magnifying glass lenses, mostly for aesthetics). Then I used random house junk and toy parts to finish the sculpt, seen below...

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) SPRpre-1

...and then I used a base coat of silver spray...

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) 0525110004

...and finally a sectioned it off, sprayed, and detailed. And the final product is below.

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) SPRfinal
    The Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon
    Range: 35 (~11 Meters)up to 45 feet (15 Meters), depending on the speed of the flywheels at the time
    Maximum Power Charge Time: 3 seconds
    Capacity: 20 Active darts, 4 inactive darts stored in the top stock
    Length: 3 feet (1 Meter)

Aaaaand that's it. This is the first 'instruction' style mod post I've made, so if I've left anything out, tell me and I'll edit it in if I can!

Gun On!

Spencer
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) Empty Re: Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon)

Post  clunk07 Mon May 30, 2011 7:03 am

Hey mate,

Nice first mod post. Makes my paint jobs look like crap!! haha
    Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon) Empty Re: Buzz Bee Tommy 20 Aesthetics, Power, and Accuracy Mod (Scynavoid Plasma Autocannon)

Post  Sadavi5 Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 am

Thanks! I figured I'd just start with the newest one and keep most of the old stuff off here. Makes it look like I actually know what I'm doing. :p
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon May 30, 2011 7:37 am

That would sell on Ebay EASILY for over $100. Great prop / cosplay.
    Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Post  Sadavi5 Mon May 30, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks a lot! I finally got a Paypal account recently, so, who knows? You might see this thing up there at some point. Course I'mma keep it for the Summer so I have some inventory to show off to people here in the Northern US, since I go to school in the Way Southern US and thus most of the rest of my collection is down there right now.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon May 30, 2011 7:50 am

Better off selling it on Ebay. Very many buyers on this forum who buys things for 'aesthetics'. Most people purchase for performance.
    Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Post  Sadavi5 Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 am

True enough. I'll definitely take that into consideration when I do eventually decide to sell.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon May 30, 2011 7:58 am

Sorry I means many buyers no these forums look for performance rather than aesthetics.
    Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Post  Sadavi5 Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 am

No, yeah, I figured that's what you meant. No worries.
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Mon May 30, 2011 10:53 am

That paintjob and cosmetic job is sweet, can't wait to see more
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Mon May 30, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah well done. Love the paintjob.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Mon May 30, 2011 11:56 am

That is epic. You are a skilled painter! Couldn't event recognize the Tommy 20.
    Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Post  Sadavi5 Mon May 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks, people who liked the Paintjob and mods! I'm extremely glad it's appreciated.
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 am

Nice.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm