Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is RTItemplar

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

January 2022

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+9
redcricket077
Xoenz
mister_elliott
littlebro05
clunk07
Mozart
gooni
LostBoy
oxymoron
13 posters

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy)

oxymoron
    oxymoron

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Empty Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy)

Post  oxymoron Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:25 am

I picked this up for $79 @ Target in Westfield Chermside. I love it! Even without a trigger it's a lot of fun.

The 100ft ranges stated on the box are very possible as well. Firing flat, I can hit the fence on the far end of my yard 22m (70ft) away with about half the shots in the 8 round clip. The reason only half make it is because the accuracy really dies down after about 15m on some shots. They act like a streamline nerf dart does pretty much.

The pellets seem to hold their shape in flight well also. I got my friend to shoot me at close range and you definitely feel a sting. If a young child was hit on bare skin at close range I'm pretty sure they would be crying. It can leave a pretty good dent in a foam box.

I really like the bolt mechanism you use to advance the clip. It's got a nice feel to it and works very well.

The whole gun is super sturdy too which I really like, it has a nice solid feel and it is quite heavy compared to any nerf gun without batteries.

I looks bloody good too.

Anyway, on to the pics...

Here's how it looks in the box...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Be850482

What you get...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 53964ee3

Size comparison with an AT with Yellow Raider Stock...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 27eb06e2

Clip inserted...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 5ce9c5ef

Bolt lever...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 4d9ed9be

Barrel - notice all the water left on the inside. FYI, the barrel has an ID of 8mm and it is quite a thick walled, hard plastic.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Eae78d46

Priming handle (nice and comfy) and the very flimsy Bi-pod legs. I pulled them off right away as they looked quite silly IMO and they are easily removed and re-attached.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 1c6b52b0

The next post will show the internals. Please don't reply until that is up.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "...My presence is a present - Kiss my a$$..." K. West
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Empty Re: Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy)

Post  oxymoron Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:01 am

Not onto the internals. I was very happy to find that every screw on the shell is the same size because there are a lot of them and I wasn't looking forward to making notes of where they all went. The screws they've used are also a lot stronger than nerf screws so less chance of stripping them. The only downside is that they are not magnetic so my screwdriver wouldn't lift them out of the holes for me.

I started by undoing the priming handle and in this pic you can see the nice solid connection to the priming bar.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) B8cc2b08

Getting the shell apart is pretty straight forward apart from this little section on the rear. It is a small outer shell that clips into the back piece you can see behind. you just need to pry it apart gently after taking out the screws.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 57b4dee0

The other tricky bit is the orange front section. It has two screws on the opposite side of the blaster that need to be undone. These pieces are also an outer shell and they are clipped and glued to each other so I had to pry them apart with a bit of force with a flat head screwdriver.

Screw locations...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Ee37a8e1

Area with glue that needs to be pried apart...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 0d62af1e

Now you've done that you can finally open it. The empty side of the shell...

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 0068e577

The solid theme continues inside with lots more screws and covers. Luckily the internal screws are also the same size.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 663c4244

A closer look at the priming bar. Nice and solid again. But what are the teeth for??

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Ac7eb4e7

Removing the first orange cover piece reveals a cog and more teeth on the plunger rod (left of pic). As the priming bar gets pulled back, the plunger rod is pushed forward ready to be fired backward. Pretty cool if you ask me.
    We can also see a nice long clear plunger tube. It's worth mentioning that the stock plunger seal is 100% air tight

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 42fe4cd4

The spring is about 17.5cm long and feels like it is around a 9 or 10Kg load. Much more than any stock nerf spring.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 589a52ae

The plunger tube is very long - about 18.5cm, but only 13.3cm is used in the plunger travel. The ID of the tube is about 27mm which gives a total air volume of 76ml - just less than a Longshot (81ml) and RFSG (80ml)

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 2100b2ac

Plunger tube OD is about 30mm. This shot also shows the way the air is directed up to the the barrel.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) 5136d4f6

The next thing to do is remove the final orange cover. This holds the parts that seal onto the clip and the moving parts that advance the clip when the bolt is moved. If you bump the bolt when this cover is off stuff will jump out at you but it's easy enough to put back together. I won't include all the detail pics I took here as most people will have been mainly interested in the plunger/spring setup.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) C99586d8

Here's how everything should sit under the cover. The big black piece is pushed onto the clip to create an excellent seal with the back of the clip. The front of the clip is pressed into an o-ring which creates another great seal.
    It's pretty well done if you ask me.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) D9afdc96

And finally, the inside of one of the "barrels" in the clip. The pellet is held in place by the 4 little nubs until it is fired. I'm thinking this means the whole clear barrel works (or rather hinders the pellet) in much the same was as a faux barrel in a nerf blaster.

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Df016871

That's it from me. Comments, suggestions, flames?

For additional blaster internal pics, visit the Internals Directory, here:

The OzNerf Internals Directory

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    LostBoy
    LostBoy

Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy) Empty Re: Max Force Shodowhawk un-boxing, review and internal guide (picture heavy)

Post  LostBoy Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:11 am

Nice review oxy

How is the scope?
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:21 am

That's one hell of a plunger tube, I see potential there. and room for a catch and trigger too.

I would not be surprised to see some of the nutter modders working something out soon.

I may have to seriously think about getting one, and see what the ghetto can do.

That faux barrel, I see that is looks a bit ruff on the inside, after a many few rounds fired, I'm thinking that there could be a build up of junk upon the inner walls hampering the speed and range of them little paper wads, would I be right there?

The construction looks real great, and even in the photos it looks solid as you say. How solid is the stock when attached? the lower attachment looks a little small.

Thanks Oxy for the quick internal pics.

Gooni.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:47 am

How do you actually fire it?

Can you fire the pellets without soaking them, so they're hard?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:47 am

Nice review Oxy, looks good.

If only my shopping list wasn't so big already... haha

Cheers,
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 am

It seems that it's fired by pulling the pump handle back and letting go. Each time you let go of the trigger, you use the 'bolt handle' to load the next round in the 'clip' in.

If the ammo is cheap, it might become the next 'nerf' related like blaster, mixed with darts haha.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 am

littlebro05 wrote:If the ammo is cheap, it might become the next 'nerf' related like blaster, mixed with darts haha.

It would be pretty easy to make homebrew ammo for these from paper pulp.

In a few years these could be amazing. I imagine that the long held dreams of grenades, shotguns and in grip pistol magazines could easily be realised using this ammunition type.

Unfortunately, right now the eighty dollar top of the line paper blaster is only as good as an overhauled TS in terms of tagging capability.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:31 am

littlebro05 wrote:It seems that it's fired by pulling the pump handle back and letting go. Each time you let go of the trigger, you use the 'bolt handle' to load the next round in the 'clip' in.

If the ammo is cheap, it might become the next 'nerf' related like blaster, mixed with darts haha.

Ammo is $17 for 300 pellets, 2 storage boxes and an ammo clip.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 am

That plunger tube was hardcore. If this thing could fire darts, epic.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Nice review Oxy with nice, clean internal pics.

This blaster has alot of potential with a spring like that.
    s2000

Post  s2000 Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:47 am

Mozart wrote:How do you actually fire it?

Can you fire the pellets without soaking them, so they're hard?

No, I tried to fire dry pellets but they didn't go through the barrel. I think there is a safety mechanism in cartridges.
    cooney_2011

Post  cooney_2011 Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:10 pm

hi have you figured out how to add in a trigger at all yet? best i could come up with was a latch externally attached as there was not alot of room inside to play with. the idea of using the internals of a night finder was suggested but again im not to sure if it would fit. just wondering if youv had any luck with it?
    cheers
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm

I was thinking about how you would add a trigger but the thing that gets in the way is the 'priming' gears. Once you prime it, how are we meant to get the priming part back to original position. The only other solution is letting it grind together... which is I guess OK since that's how the blaster is designed.
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:46 pm

I think the best thing to do is just buy a Terrornator 85 instead. It doesn't need a trigger cause it's in slam fire mode all the time and it still gets great range but with rapid-fire. It is heaps of fun.

mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:58 pm

cooney_2011 wrote:hi have you figured out how to add in a trigger at all yet?

Just graft 2/3rds of a nitefinder onto it, mostly the catch, trigger, handle parts.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 am

That looks like it would be super easy to make it fire darts with a breech. I'm betting we will see some modded to do that pretty soon.

Halt, Hammerzeit!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:53 pm