Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+5
dandaldaks
littlebro05
mister_elliott
Joey
False
9 posters

Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.

False
    False

Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Empty Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.

Post  False Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:13 am

So I was looking at this and I thought it looked pretty cool, so I gave it a go. I used normal sized foam, not mongos. So basically bolo rounds are two darts attached by string so when fired at an object, it wraps around it. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photos and the write up in general...

Side note: I made two of these, the first one used a short line (45cm) and it worked. But the second one (pictured in all photos except last two) I used a really long one designed to wrap around my whole body once or twice but it just tangled up when fired and didn't spread out, I'm working on it though...

Things you will need:

- Two halves of a OO Split Shot sinker
    - Two straws cut to size
    - Two halves of streamline sized foam
    - Two beads or buttons etc. I used some beads I found
    - I used fishing line because the other strings I found in the house were too weak and snapped upon impact.
    - Hot glue gun and glue

Step 1:
    This is what you will need, minus the glue gun.
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1221c
    By false_ at 2011-10-08
    The straw should be about this big, just enough room for the sinker half.
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1222cv
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Step 2:
    Put some hot glue around the end of the straw and twist it into the foam (so the glue spreads around). Do the same to the other peice of foam too.
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1223qc
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Step 3:
    Thread one end of the fishing line through the bead and tie it off. Then thread the line through one dart and let it sit like this:
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1227t
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Step 4:
    Dab a little hot glue into the hole and place the half sinker onto it. Flat side up for a nice, flush surface.
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1224w
    By false_ at 2011-10-08
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1228on
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Step 5:
    Place another little blob of hot glue on top of the sinker and then pull down the bead.
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1229y
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Step 6:
    Thread the other end of the line through the other foam piece, making sure that the end of the foam you first put the line thorough is indeed the bottom of the foam.
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1226r
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Step 7:
    Now repeat steps 3, 4 and 5.

Now you should have something like this:
    Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1230ld
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

I fired the short one and it was pretty awesome:

Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1219j
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Img1220x
    By false_ at 2011-10-08

Joey
    Joey

Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Empty Re: Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.

Post  Joey Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 am

Wow that is pretty cool, I wonder what effect on ranges it would have. I can see one dart getting pushed by wind and then pulling the other one causing them to both fight out of control quite often.

But if you could get it to be effective you would have a great shotgun shot with some decent spread.
    False
    False

Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.  Empty Re: Bolo Rounds- Write Up- (Crappy) Picture Heavy.

Post  False Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:48 am

Yeah I'll have range tests up soon.

I was even thinking about attaching three darts together, but I'm not sure how that would effect the rotational inertia.

It is really fun to use and as I said, I made a massive one, but it would just come out tangled and wouldn't spread out. But I wad thinking with a more flexible material than fishing line it might work. Or even having two barrels together and putting a dart in each and having the line out the front so it doesn't tangle. Although that would create a little bit of dead space it might be worth a try...
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:36 am

Great, now we just need someone to make dragon's breath rounds lol.

Side note on shotgun loads, you can get massive spreads at the expense of range by loading darts backwards.
    False
    False

Post  False Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

So I did some tests with the big Bolo round which is about 75cm in length.

It fired around 50ft with my TitMav which gets 280ft with normal, heavy silis.

My brother fired it at me (which is strange as usually it's the other way around...) and it successfully wrapped around my torso. Luckily I was standing still at the time, haha.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 pm

False wrote:So I did some tests with the big Bolo round which is about 75cm in length.

It fired around 50ft with my TitMav which gets 280ft with normal, heavy silis.

My brother fired it at me (which is strange as usually it's the other way around...) and it successfully wrapped around my torso. Luckily I was standing still at the time, haha.

Not to bad a range considering the spread, I wonder if we can push it further with lets say a multi barrel launcher or something. Quite interested in this actually, might adapt something for if I ever get around to building a master key for my LS.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I was like Bolo Round? What was that! Now I remember. Pretty cool actually... wonder what would happen if you hit someone in the neck though o.O.

Gotta add this to the directory.
    False
    False

Post  False Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't think it would wrap around someone's neck with enough momentum to choke them, well, at least not with the weights I'm using and with the large one.

It would be cool to see a gametype in which you had to try and capture someone or something similiar. Although the shooter of the Bolo rounds would have to be pretty careful and a good aim.

Last edited by False on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lulz 'emomentummentum')
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:20 am

Shoot them in the legs so they trip over. Aren't bolo rounds also used in 'real life' when it hit's the person, it goes and shred their insides as well?
    dandaldaks
    dandaldaks

Post  dandaldaks Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:37 am

Emomentummentum
    lol
    ^ Are you refering to the velocity is insuffice to do damage to any thing via the loss of momentum via the increased air resistance via the 2 flailing darts.
    I would say we need a test dummy lol, time to don the good old ballistics gel.

Mythbusters FTW
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Bolo rounds are currently fired from shotguns by crazy people (buckshot does a pretty good job of killing people without adding cable) and were fired in the past from cannons to tear up sails and rigging of naval vessels.

oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 am

I just had a go at making these myself but I just used hot glue on the ends rather than beads.

I also only had some 1 size split shots and the 5mm plastic sinkers on hand. I made one from each with about 40mm of fishing line connecting them.

To fire them I used my plugged Titan at 16 pumps with an 11" 16mm conduit barrel.

The plastic sinkers were way too light I think because they barely made 30ft.

The size 1 split shot one went about 60ft flat but I didn't get much of a spiraling motion like I was hoping. It definitely had a decent spread but I wouldn't guarantee I could wrap it round a pole from 50ft like yours did.

I might try making the line between longer to see if it helps.

How did you tuck all the fishing line into the barrel? I shoved it between the two darts and had both darts facing forward.
    False
    False

Post  False Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I made some videos today. It was on my iPod so I had to do the steps with just one hand, haha. (Also, my voice in real life doesn't actually sound like it does in the footage, haha!)

Also, In the video, the round spins vertically in the air, I have no idea why it did that, it doesn't usually.

Loading:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4f-dhTUc0

Firing:

(EDIT: sorry, something screwed up, I'll upload the firing video tomorrow)
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:01 pm

If custom darts ever get allowed for HvZ, I can see this being a VERY effective way of taking out zombies if you're snap-shooting.

I might have to give this a try...
    False
    False

Post  False Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Firing Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RkfDkcM0Cc

Also, For some reason, the round flies vertically through the air in the video, it doesn't normally do that...
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Interesting to see those in one of the twin barrelled classic guns like a switch shot. Those have a staggered firing and if you pull the trigger fast enough with on half of the dart in each barrel you should get a nice spinning motion.
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:50 pm

After watching your vid False I tried again but this time I left a decent gap between the two darts like you did and it worked much better.

Unfortunately, the range seems to max out at 60ft flat. Even with 20 pumps in my Titan meaning effective tripping range is much less again. I will try them at the next indoor war I'm hosting but I don't have very high hopes.
    False
    False

Post  False Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Psykka, is the switch shot a springer? If so, I'm not sure it would have enough power to propel one of these rounds very far.

Oxy, I'm glad I could help. Maybe if there was a two barreled shot gun attachment with a dart in each, It might go a little further... Too bad I don't have any more petg :/
    Sadavi5
    Sadavi5

Post  Sadavi5 Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 pm

This is one of the coolest dart mods I've ever seen! Great job!
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 am

No it's an old airgun that fires megas.
    False
    False

Post  False Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks, Sadavi, although I didn't find it myself, haha.

Psykka, that sounds pretty cool, I couldn't find anything on it when I googled it...

I've heard of this old blaster that was really bad performance-wise but it had a single barrel and used a special sort of ammo. The Ammunition it used was like a dart split in two connected by string or something. So when you fired the two halves separated. Although it was a really bad blaster so not many people have them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am