Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Super Nerf Nooby saying hi!

natious

Super Nerf Nooby saying hi! Empty Super Nerf Nooby saying hi!

Post  natious Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Sup guys, just got into nerf guns, well not really me more so my little brother (he is 9), he has a nite finder and maverick, i googled the guns and saw that you can do mods, i already removed the air restrictions on both guns and it made the NF so much better but no so much the maverick.

So for xmas i decided ill mod and paint a gun for him, i picked up a recon, deploy and nite finder as they were all on sale recently. After googling some more i see that the longshot is pretty good after modding too bad i didnt pick it up when it was $39.

My questions for you guys are, do you know any good mods for the depoly? I tried googling but it doesnt seem there are any good mods, i really like the pump action underneath the gun and the overall look of it.

Do you think its worth just buying the massacre kit from orange works and chucking it in the recon? Remember he is only 9 and i dont want him shooting his eye out or his friends, but i still want him to have a kickass blaster for when he plays with his mates lol.

I noticed the recon fires worse with the barrel extension on the front, is there away so i doesnt suck so much with the extension?

I'm familiar with painting and hand tools so cutting/fabricating things wont be a problem as i have a whole shed of tools to use.

Sorry for all the nooby questions, any answers would be appreciated. XD
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Super Nerf Nooby saying hi! Empty Re: Super Nerf Nooby saying hi!

Post  littlebro05 Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:48 pm

At least you've taken the initiative. Alot of member just go straight to asking "how do I mod a Maverick" when you clearly get it on the internet. The deploy = there's never any good mods for it. Anything reverse plungered. All you can really do is remove the AR and stuff.

I would get something from OMW, but they're plungers still break anyway lol.
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey mate, Welcome to the forums!

False (fake) barrels only create friction and thus reduce range.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 am

In my opinion, since he's only 9 years old, power modifications are not really neccesary. Even stock, kids that young will shoot their eye out. You throw a power mod in there and serious injuries will occur. I bought my nieces the new dart tag blasters and they both managed to shoot each other in the eye. They're 11 years old and 6 years old. I tried to tell them to only play when they're wearing goggles.... but they're kids. You turn your back for one second and all you hear from behind is, "WAAHHHHHHHH!"

I thought about modding it for them but after that incident, I changed my mind.

As for the Deploy, it's regarded by many, as the worst N-Strike blaster for modifications. The mods are no different than any other N-Strike blaster but the build and mechanics of the blaster make it very frustrating to take apart and put back together.

If you like the 'shotgun' feature, return the Deploy and get the Alpha Trooper. The next best thing would be the Raider.

Unless you create an 'Angel Breech' or a Sodizzle 'CPVC' Breech (or the like), an extended barrel would be useless.
    natious

Post  natious Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks for the reply guys, i ended up ordering a couple massacre kits for the recon and a couple springs to play around with, might just put one into the deploy, its a shame it sucks so much i think its definitely one of the better looking guns, im going to try and mod the 2nd massacre kit to fit in the deploy seeing as the insides look very similar to the recon.

I went to target, kmart and big W today and couldn't find the alpha trooper :(, the only thing i like about the raider is the stock, so hopefully i can find one on ebay or the forums.

is it worth putting a small pvc barrel on the recon? Will a few inches long hinder or improve performance? I just think it would look alot cooler.

My plan how is to get a few 18dart mags and have it look like a UZI, paint matte grey/black with some tiger camo in red or blue and some silver dry brushing here and there.

Do i need to keep the orange for legal reasons incase he takes it to the part ect..?

Thanks again!
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 pm

(This should really be in the questions thread now.)

Natious, it seems quite obvious that this is no longer just for your '9 year old little brother'. There are plenty of 'non-children' here (and everywhere) that enjoy the hobby. Myself included.

As acerised has already pointed out, a faux barrel will only hinder ranges. Adding a PVC faux barrel may even defeat the purpose of adding the OMW Massacre Kit.

You've obviously done some light research and for a 'noobie', I applaud you. But do a little more (and by a little more I mean a lot more) and you'll find that the current line of N-Strike blasters are all known as 'reverse plungers' except for the Stampede and Vulcan. The other systems are known as 'Flywheels'.

The favored blasters are 'direct plungers' for 'springers'. The reverse plunger systems are quite a bit inferior relative to their superior direct plunger cousins for many reasons.

You'll find that a well modified NiteFinder (NF) will easily out range a Recon, even with OMW internals. The saving grace for these current N-Strike blasters is their 'rate of fire' (ROF).

As far as painting your blaster, any paint job (PJ) that is meant to make the blaster in question look 'real', is known affectionately as a, "loser" rifle. Generally, in the Nerf Internet Community (NIC), it's kind of frowned upon. Since a big part of this hobby is going to 'War', a loser rifle can spoil the fun for the whole party thanks to joe public. People are quick to call the police even with brightly colored toy blasters but add in an adult running around with an 'Uzi', you've just banned any fun at that location for everyone.

That being said, there are a lot of people who have created excellent PJ's that replicate realistic fire arms and are given praise for their talents but it's understood that those stay in the home and are not exactly welcome at wars or out in the public eye for that matter.

If you have any doubt as to whether or not it looks too real, ask yourself this, "Would I walk into a bank with this?".... there's your answer.

In my opinion, if you're going to take it to the park with friends etc.... I mean if your little 9 year old brother is going to take it to the park etc., the more brightly colored, the better. The orange tip is mainly for joe public than the police. But yes, keep the orange tip. The public will be less likely to call the police.

Good Luck! And welcome to the community.

natious

Post  natious Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

makeitgo wrote:(This should really be in the questions thread now.)

Natious, it seems quite obvious that this is no longer just for your '9 year old little brother'. There are plenty of 'non-children' here (and everywhere) that enjoy the hobby. Myself included.

As acerised has already pointed out, a faux barrel will only hinder ranges. Adding a PVC faux barrel may even defeat the purpose of adding the OMW Massacre Kit.

You've obviously done some light research and for a 'noobie', I applaud you. But do a little more (and by a little more I mean a lot more) and you'll find that the current line of N-Strike blasters are all known as 'reverse plungers' except for the Stampede and Vulcan. The other systems are known as 'Flywheels'.

The favored blasters are 'direct plungers' for 'springers'. The reverse plunger systems are quite a bit inferior relative to their superior direct plunger cousins for many reasons.

You'll find that a well modified NiteFinder (NF) will easily out range a Recon, even with OMW internals. The saving grace for these current N-Strike blasters is their 'rate of fire' (ROF).

As far as painting your blaster, any paint job (PJ) that is meant to make the blaster in question look 'real', is known affectionately as a, "loser" rifle. Generally, in the Nerf Internet Community (NIC), it's kind of frowned upon. Since a big part of this hobby is going to 'War', a loser rifle can spoil the fun for the whole party thanks to joe public. People are quick to call the police even with brightly colored toy blasters but add in an adult running around with an 'Uzi', you've just banned any fun at that location for everyone.

That being said, there are a lot of people who have created excellent PJ's that replicate realistic fire arms and are given praise for their talents but it's understood that those stay in the home and are not exactly welcome at wars or out in the public eye for that matter.

If you have any doubt as to whether or not it looks too real, ask yourself this, "Would I walk into a bank with this?".... there's your answer.

In my opinion, if you're going to take it to the park with friends etc.... I mean if your little 9 year old brother is going to take it to the park etc., the more brightly colored, the better. The orange tip is mainly for joe public than the police. But yes, keep the orange tip. The public will be less likely to call the police.

Good Luck! And welcome to the community.

Thanks for the reply, ive been googling like mad over the last couple days, in the beginning it really was for my little brother lol. So the plan still stands in me painting up the recon and chucking in the massacre kit for him.

Ive decided now that after messing with the recon i want to try and build a SNAP and shove it all into a deploy shell as i absolutely love the look of the blaster. Looking at the build thread on nerf revolution it seems pretty straight forward and easy.

Its a shame that "real" paint jobs are frowned upon but i can understand why.

Yesterday i bought a night finder for $4 at kmart, removed the ARs and made the seal alot tighter and holy crap i was surprised at how much it improved, i made a couple hot glue gun tip streamlines with the straw in the them and damn it stings, i can only imagine how much a proper blaster or SNAP gun feels like.

Thanks again for the help, hopefully soon i can start a mod thread and show my progress.

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Lubricants and grease is really important btw. Remember to use the right one. Go to the modification's directory and check out my alpha trooper mod. It shows what lubricants safe on your o-ring and just as effective =).
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:58 pm

If you really want to feel a 'sting', attend a war. There will be airguns there that will scare the crap out of you. Namely, Buzz Bee Ultimate Missle Blasts (BBUMB) and Buzz Bee Big Blasts (BBBB/4B). I'm afraid that OMW Recons ,and the like, would be seriously under powered at most wars. Century blasters are the norm. Meaning, blasters that can break 100 feet flat (30.5 meters).
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 am

Just wanted to say hello and welcome!
    Welcome to the party... may the foam be with you.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm