Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is RTItemplar

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

January 2022

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

3 posters

1/2" Sched 40 PVC

oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

1/2" Sched 40 PVC Empty 1/2" Sched 40 PVC

Post  oznerfnerd Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Has anybody came across a heavy walled plastic pipe called Sched 40 in Australia?

As a qualified pipe fitter, I can say that it definitely exists in steel, and that in the US it's plastic equivalents are the same dimensions.

I am trying to pin down that perfect Australian material for the Stampede breach cover, and I'm not satisfied with the options available so far.

I see the yanks have already started making it from 1/2" sched 40 PVC, with the 9/16 brass nested in a couple of 19/32 rings inside it.

This seems the best option to me, as I don't like the idea of sanding out electrical conduit, etc.

I like the idea of making the whole thing out of one piece of this PVC, with the full length of 19/32 epoxied into it (with no tape or crap like that), then cutting the breach out of it.

That'd be rock solid, and wouldn't need reinforcing around the breach I reckon.

I'd get it on a lathe and turn down the ends to fit the nose and collar...

Getting a bit more like a write up...so:

Does anyone know where to get 1/2" sched 40 plastic pipe in Australia?
    lech
    lech

1/2" Sched 40 PVC Empty Re: 1/2" Sched 40 PVC

Post  lech Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 am

Just had a bit of a google and found this: http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/faq.htm#G18

In the eastern and midwest areas of the US, schedule 40 PVC pipe can be found at most plumbing suppliers. I have heard from several west coast residents that schedule 40 PVC can only be found at "specialty" plumbing dealers.

Canada appears to have a good supply of schedule 40 PVC.

Schedule 40 PVC pipe is not available in Australia. I have been advised that the Australian equivalent is Class 12 Water Pressure Pipe. Only specialty irrigation/pipe centers handle it.
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:48 am

lech wrote:Just had a bit of a google and found this: http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/faq.htm#G18

In the eastern and midwest areas of the US, schedule 40 PVC pipe can be found at most plumbing suppliers. I have heard from several west coast residents that schedule 40 PVC can only be found at "specialty" plumbing dealers.

Canada appears to have a good supply of schedule 40 PVC.

Schedule 40 PVC pipe is not available in Australia. I have been advised that the Australian equivalent is Class 12 Water Pressure Pipe. Only specialty irrigation/pipe centers handle it.

Yes mate, that's pretty much where I ended up too.

Thanks for your help though.

I'm looking at going back to the 20mm orange conduit, with a bit of 19/32 brass nested (and areldited) in it.

Access to a lathe is an issue though, I don't know anyone with one.
    [G]
    [G]

Post  [G] Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 pm

I may have something of use to you, once upon a time I used to work for an irrigation company, what comes to mind with your request is a threaded riser, comes in various lengths and has a much thicker wall than regular PVC since it needs to support a thread and needs to be rigid to support what ever is mounted on top.

Since I can't post links just yet, go to google and search PPI and go to the home page > Product catalogue > Threaded risers, 1/2" section is a about half way down the page. It may not be exactly what you want, but might do the trick.

Hope this helps.

oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for that.

I've ended up going back to the orange conduit with a bit of 19/32 brass glued down the center.

It was a bit loose, but I put a single layer of e tape at each end then worked in plenty of 3 day epoxy.

I then clamped it to the bench for the night after rolling it around and checking it with a straight edge to get it lined up nicely.

I can now slip a piece of 9/16 up the center to give me my barrel section.

I'm still stuck with needing a lathe to machine down the ends, but that's how it goes...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:01 pm