Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
Sheepie_125
Rocafix
littlebro05
Barachiel
8 posters

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island.

Barachiel
    Barachiel

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. Empty Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island.

Post  Barachiel Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:49 am

Hi all, just wanted to see how much interest there would be in a war hosted on Russell Island. Every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, there's a great little coffee cart that has a sausage sizzle. Across from this is a large field that I can use for a war. I'd have plenty of modular cover available to set up and use, the coffee cart owner sells softdrink for $2 a can (as well as all sorts of other beverages) and is happy to stock up on extra if a war is hosted. He'll also have large containers of water and cordial, you'd just need to pay once and then have unlimited refills for the rest of the day.

There's no traffic in the area either, vehicle or pedestrian (it is an island, after all).
    Basically, it's a pretty awesome set up, with the only real downside being that you'd have to catch a ferry to get here. The ferry ride only costs around $5 and lasts 15-20 minutes. If you really wanted to bring your car, there's also a barge, but I'm not sure how much that costs.

So, seems interesting?

EDIT: No proper photos of the field yet, but here's a couple shamelessly stolen from google, as well as one of the shed area the coffee cart is at and an actual photo of the same:

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. Field1

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. Field2

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. CoffeeCart

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. 247663_212673325421855_201713916517796_673441_5762282_n

Last edited by Barachiel on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. Empty Re: Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island.

Post  littlebro05 Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:24 am

Sounds interesting. Any pictures of the location?
    Barachiel
    Barachiel

Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island. Empty Re: Checking interest for Brisbane war, located on Russell Island.

Post  Barachiel Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:28 am

Not as yet, but I'll have them up tuesday. The location is quite close to where you arrive on the island as well, so once here you don't have far to go.
    Barachiel
    Barachiel

Post  Barachiel Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Some pictures added to the first post. I'll get some more varied photos of the field on tuesday, as said in my previous post.
    Rocafix
    Rocafix

Post  Rocafix Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:51 pm

if on saturday it would be a maybe. With a lift from someone it would be a defs
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 am

What sort of war are you planning on hosting? One where the nerf blasters aren't too strong or one where we go all out for welts and bruises? The field seems a little bit open though.
    Barachiel
    Barachiel

Post  Barachiel Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 am

Since I've yet to modify my own blasters enough to go for the latter, most likely the former.
    The field is quite open, as you say, but I'll have more than adequate amounts of cover, both tall and short.
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:23 am

I'm torn as to whether or not I would go to a war over there - I always get pretty stressed getting over and back from those islands, the three main issues I'd have are:
    1) Getting parking on the mainland, those of us that go over regularly would know how little parking there is for the population on the islands let alone visitors.
    2) being bound by the ferry time tables and hoping not get one of the small boats(so that half the war isn't left behind).
    3)lugging everything to the ferry itself so people would have to travel pretty light on.

Would you be doing a dart hire arrangement or will it be BYO?

cheers,
    Barachiel
    Barachiel

Post  Barachiel Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 am

The ferries run about every 20 minutes or so, you wouldn't really have to all hop on the same ferry. As for travelling light, you can bring a fair bit of bulk on board no worries. I've brought back two cupboards, some plywood and two backpacks in a single trip.
    Parking can be an issue though, unfortunately. I avoid the issue by using public transport, but not everyone finds the idea aggreable. =P
    I'd most likely be doing a dart hire, but if the majority of people wishing to attend (if I get enough interest in the first place) want to bring their own, I'm fine with that too.
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 am

You can put me down as interested, depending on when it will be and as long as it's not too early a start. Depending on your age limit I'd probably be able to rope my Brother and Nephew(13) into it too as we can kill two birds with one stone and visit my Mum on Macleay after haha.
    Barachiel
    Barachiel

Post  Barachiel Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 am

13 and up is fine. =)
    Since I have to allow time for everyone to get to the island (I don't expect people to be up and about too early), I doubt it'll be an early start.
    AustralAZN_
    AustralAZN_

Post  AustralAZN_ Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm

*interest shown* Keeping an eye on this for any development =)
    frostythesnowman
    frostythesnowman

Post  frostythesnowman Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am

i too am interested in any developments for this. if you are unable to do dart hire im sure lil-bro can help out.
    Barachiel
    Barachiel

Post  Barachiel Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:36 am

I should be good for dart hire, but I'll be sure to ask if I need help. =)

Sorry developments on this are slow (and that I didn't manage to grab pictures), but a rusty pin embedded itself a few inches into my heel, so just waiting for that to heal up and for the infection to go away. =P
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 am

OUCH! yeah not the best for running around at a Nerf war - hope you heal up soon
    RS
    RS

Post  RS Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 am

Might be able to come, depending on what transport I can find, as I don't drive yet.
    clem0x
    clem0x

Post  clem0x Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 am

I have some interest in this, wouldn't mind attending one! Where do u drive to take the ferry across?
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 am

clem0x wrote:I have some interest in this, wouldn't mind attending one! Where do u drive to take the ferry across?

It goes from Banana street in Redland Bay - it's pretty close to Victoria Point
    clem0x
    clem0x

Post  clem0x Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:03 am

I could probably car pool about 3 people

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:37 am