Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+17
inf0rm3r
camo1010
mutzy
|Shadow|
mister_elliott
againstallodds
cfb_rolley
Luke
mavshot
JayDesu
False
frostythesnowman
Sheepie_125
natious
Photo Ninja
Bacara
Joey
21 posters

Nerf parts and accessories.

Poll

Are there any custom nerf parts or accessories that you want but cant get cheap or at all?

[ 38 ]
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Bar_left97%Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Bar_right [97%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Bar_left3%Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Bar_right [3%] 

Total Votes: 39
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Empty Re: Nerf parts and accessories.

Post  Sheepie_125 Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah I know what you mean I use Autocad everyday for 2D but I just don't have the patience to do 3D modeling in it, bring on Inventor haha
    natious

Post  natious Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 pm

cfb_rolley wrote:I have AutoCAD 2011, which can save to .stl directly and I'm pretty handy with 3d stuff in acad so if you need spmething when you get your printer, hit me up.

how is cads modelling tools compared to inventor?
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I haven't actually used inventor before. With autocad, the most basic way to do 3d models is to draw a 2d shape then polyline>join then extrude or revolve or sweep. Then do the same to build more simple 3d models to union or subtract from the original solid
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Well while maya and max are great programs I am generally against stealing software and I really can't afford to pay just as much for the printer for the software to make the stuff.

Either way I seem to be doing fine with sketchup for now, it lets me make things to the exact mm and is pretty easy to use.

Did up a mockup for a nerf to 22mm rail and a quad-shot barrel spacer, put on logos to show what it will look like.
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 22mmBSpacer

The colors I will be getting will try to match the nerf colors as close as possible and with a plastic look to boot most parts should look right at home sitting on a nerf gun . Though I will get black as well because I know people like that one too.

I will be happy to put on requested text or custom logo (if the model is provided) for a small charge on top, that way you can have your gear customized how you want it.

Now you have to remember that this is a prototype, the final may differ depending on how the printing process goes.

I have some iron sight ideas which I will work on in the future. Will try to get some prototypes printed off on a friend's machine in the mean time to take some photos, maybe even do up an order page.

Will be doing up final models for the 22mm rail, BBBB triggers, iron sights, barrel spacers for the most common guns and a couple other things I have in mind.

But either way I will most likely be going ahead with this.
    natious

Post  natious Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Joey wrote:Well while maya and max are great programs I am generally against stealing software and I really can't afford to pay just as much for the printer for the software to make the stuff.

Either way I seem to be doing fine with sketchup for now, it lets me make things to the exact mm and is pretty easy to use.

Did up a mockup for a nerf to 22mm rail and a quad-shot barrel spacer, put on logos to show what it will look like.
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 22mmBSpacer

The colors I will be getting will try to match the nerf colors as close as possible and with a plastic look to boot most parts should look right at home sitting on a nerf gun . Though I will get black as well because I know people like that one too.

I will be happy to put on requested text or custom logo (if the model is provided) for a small charge on top, that way you can have your gear customized how you want it.

Now you have to remember that this is a prototype, the final may differ depending on how the printing process goes.

I have some iron sight ideas which I will work on in the future. Will try to get some prototypes printed off on a friend's machine in the mean time to take some photos, maybe even do up an order page.

Will be doing up final models for the 22mm rail, BBBB triggers, iron sights, barrel spacers for the most common guns and a couple other things I have in mind.

But either way I will most likely be going ahead with this.

Good job, i assume that you're going to be getting a powder 3d printer not the filament style ones?
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:06 am

Actually will be getting filament style one. Noting that it is obvious that the logo on the side wont be able to be printed the way I intend it, was more for display purposes. This, for those who don't know, is because the way it prints you cant have any edge 45 degrees or higher. The advantage with the duel extruder model I am after is that I can print using a water soluble filament out of one of the extruder's and use that as a 'bridge' to print things that would be otherwise impossible.

I don't think a powder style printer would be strong enough, as they are normally used for rapid prototyping.

Fortunately it can be printed in bits and then using a special glue compound 'welded' together.

Some iron-sights I did as a quick mock-up. Given the angle nerf guns have to fire at might be wise to play around with different iron sight designs:
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 IronSights1

I miss doing 3d modelling, is a lot of fun. Especially now with the technical aspect of design and how it will be printed it is more like a puzzle than art.

natious

Post  natious Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:11 am

Joey wrote:Actually will be getting filament style one. Noting that it is obvious that the logo on the side wont be able to be printed the way I intend it, was more for display purposes. This, for those who don't know, is because the way it prints you cant have any edge 45 degrees or higher. The advantage with the duel extruder model I am after is that I can print using a water soluble filament out of one of the extruder's and use that as a 'bridge' to print things that would be otherwise impossible.

I don't think a powder style printer would be strong enough, as they are normally used for rapid prototyping.

Fortunately it can be printed in bits and then using a special glue compound 'welded' together.

Some iron-sights I did as a quick mock-up. Given the angle nerf guns have to fire at might be wise to play around with different iron sight designs:
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 IronSights1

Oh ok cool, i've started to seriously consider building a Reprap Mendel for personal use (its your fault for sparking the interest), apparently the ABS filament is quite sturdy. You could always print your designs 1-2 thicker then sand down the surface to remove the hair lines.

What kinda printers are you looking at?
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am

God damn it... now I want a 3d printer too...
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 am

I am looking at the makerbot replicator:
    http://store.makerbot.com/replicator.html

Which is pretty new.

It costs a good amount, but damn it has all of the features and comes fully built!

Duel MK8 extruder, a print base the size of a loaf of bread (which is great for printing a large volume of things), excellent software, etc etc.

Anyways there are much cheaper printers, but the way I see it is you get what you pay for. Not really in the mood for the headaches and screwing around when I have other things to do. So I guess you can consider the replicator the 'mac' of the 3d printer world. It comes all ready and isn't much messing about. While most other printers are more like lunix where you have to continue to change and update them.

Either way if people want 3d printers still I am more than happy to print off the parts for them. Otherwise I am also happy printing off what ever parts people design for whatever they want. I don't want to charge too much at all and will just be happy getting the money back on the machine slowly over time.
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:03 am

Wow that looks pretty damn good - I've had my eye on an Up! for a while now but that's just gone to the top of my wish list I really want one now too haha, I'll just have to settle for helping you to pay off yours - just a question would you consider letting us buy our own filament (that is pay you for a couple of rolls when you purchase it so it's the right stuff for the printer) and charging a fee based on time?
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:17 am

Sheepie_125 wrote:Wow that looks pretty damn good - I've had my eye on an Up! for a while now but that's just gone to the top of my wish I really want one now too haha, I'll juust have to settle for helping you to pay off yours - just a question would you consider letting us buy our own filament (that is pay you for a couple of rolls when you purchase it so it's the right stuff for the printer) and charging a fee based on time?

I would most likely charge by the amount of filament used if you want me to print of your designs. I am ordering in 5KG of filament with my machine to save on shipping and am happy to order with other people in the future to get it cheaper. Currently the best price I can find is about $50 a kg with around $20-$30 shipping. Of course other factors will be wear and tear and trying to pay off the machine. Duel color stuff will be a bit more, etc etc. Either way I am willing to work out something that works for both of us.

I should always have quite a bit of filament around, will quickly learn which colors are more popular than others. There is even a glow in the dark fillamnet, though it is more than twice as expensive it is really cool!

Otherwise I plan to design up some products which I hope people will buy and also am happy to sell other people's designs for a commission. Mixed that with printing of peoples things I think I will have quite a bit of work cut out for me.

I guess I also have to compete with the price your print shop charges too, though being a commercial enterprise I can imagine a pretty large surcharge on a print.
    againstallodds
    againstallodds

Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Empty clear parts

Post  againstallodds Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:28 am

ive always disliked that the clear and sonic series had parts that were also not transparent making those parts transparent would be cool including clips
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, I dare say it'd be quite some time before I actually bought a 3d printer, but I am interested in getting some stuff made. What would the design restrictions be?
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:59 am

Joey wrote:
    Sheepie_125 wrote:Wowp that looks pretty damn good - I've had my eye on an Up! for a while now but that's just gone to the top of my wish I really want one now too haha, I'll juust have to settle for helping you to pay off yours - just a question would you consider letting us buy our own filament (that is pay you for a couple of rolls when you purchase it so it's the right stuff for the printer) and charging a fee based on time?

I would most likely charge by the amount of filament used if you want me to print of your designs. I am ordering in 5KG of filament with my machine to save on shipping and am happy to order with other people in the future to get it cheaper. Currently the best price I can find is about $50 a kg with around $20-$30 shipping. Of course other factors will be wear and tear and trying to pay off the machine. Duel color stuff will be a bit more, etc etc. Either way I am willing to work out something that works for both of us.

I should always have quite a bit of filament around, will quickly learn which colors are more popular than others. There is even a glow in the dark fillamnet, though it is more than twice as expensive it is really cool!

Otherwise I plan to design up some products which I hope people will buy and also am happy to sell other people's designs for a commission. Mixed that with printing of peoples things I think I will have quite a bit of work cut out for me.

I guess I also have to compete with the price your print shop charges too, though being a commercial enterprise I can imagine a pretty large surcharge on a print.

They say they charge $0.25 per cm3 but they always charge much more for example my trigger piece worked out to $0.80 but they ended up charging me $5.00 even with supports that's a big jump, so as long as you're consistant you can pretty much charge what you like haha
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:26 am

Sheepie_125 wrote:They say they charge $0.25 per cm3 but they always charge much more for example my trigger piece worked out to $0.80 but they ended up charging me $5.00 even with supports that's a big jump, so as long as you're consistant you can pretty much charge what you like haha

I guess $0.80 makes sense considering they are a business with staff. I am home a lot (do freelance web work) so I don't mind wasting my time as much especially as the machine is more 'fire and forget'. I hope it isn't too loud so I can use it later at night but we will see.

Well in that case I should be able to do most things at around $0.20c per cm3 + a surcharge for time (like $1 or $2, just a little bit to help). Of course that is only on things where the .stl file is given to me to print as is. The products I design will be a different story, however still fair and quite competitive compared to other sources. Given that I would have to sell over 10KG's of printed objects to pay off the machine. Either way payment will be upfront so make sure your design is good first!

cfb_rolley wrote:Yeah, I dare say it'd be quite some time before I actually bought a 3d printer, but I am interested in getting some stuff made. What would the design restrictions be?

There is a max size, it is quite large with that model though, so that is something that has to be taken in to consideration.
    Nothing can have more than a 45deg angle on it, what I mean from that is that since the printer prints up in layers if there is an edge gravity wont take to well to it. You can make things angled or print it in multiple parts and glue it all together. I don't plan on getting the water soluble solution until I have done a bit of printing and have the hand of it, nor do I know the price for it, so for now all designs need to take that in the consideration.
    I will have to try out the duel extruder system so figure out how it works, I don't know if it has to be two separate models or if you can select which part is which.
    Anything that doesn't look like it will be stable during the building process will be printed with a 'raft' to hold it in place, which may take up a little extra filament.
    You will have the option to make the inside of the object honeycombed or solid, generally honeycomb is better as it uses less filament, takes less time to print and is basically just a strong. However different parts wont work with it, all depends on what you are making. Either way it is in the printing code and nothing you have to worry about when making the model.
    There are a couple other restrictions I think but they do not come to mind at this moment.

I don't think that clear is 100% clear, I believe that it is about 50% opacity so I probably wont be getting any right off the bat. Once again though needs to be looked in to (among other things).

Really as you can probably tell I also need to do a bit of research and experimentation in to it. As I have mentioned before I have a friend who has a different one so I will be playing with that over the next 8weeks while I wait for mine to arrive (if I end up going through with this, looking very probable). I would suggest looking it all up online. The fact of the matter is the tech is still very experimental and always updating and changing.
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:47 am

The pricing sounds very fair and upfront payment is no issue in fact it's preferred as I know what I'm actually in for haha. I'm a bit annoyed at my local after the jump in price from dropping off to picking up my trigger so I have a few simple bushes/spacers I'd want after you're up and running, I'm still to model them so the 8 weeks gives me plenty of time to double check the design.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Joey wrote:Some iron-sights I did as a quick mock-up.

I love the rear sight but I'd like a more durable looking front, a little like this? Big wings on the side instead of little leaves. Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 M40_no10 If you ship the front sight as being too tall, with a slightly lower base, users could shave the sight post down to their desired level.

Also I am a design noob so don't expect me to understand anything. JUST TAKE MY MONEY!
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:48 pm

mister_elliott wrote:
    I love the rear sight but I'd like a more durable looking front, a little like this? Big wings on the side instead of little leaves. If you ship the front sight as being too tall, with a slightly lower base, users could shave the sight post down to their desired level.

Also I am a design noob so don't expect me to understand anything. JUST TAKE MY MONEY!

Heh that is fine was just a very quick prototype. I would actually like people to post pictures here of the kind of sights the want. The real problem will be the find out how to attach it to most guns, it is easy with something like the raider as it has a rail go all the way down the barrel, but others would be harder. Would always want it to be modular, maybe have a version that has a round clip which can be screwed in to fit over a PETG barrel.

I also will be making a muzzle flash suppressor, like the barret 50cal.
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlELIB4jIwyOLrm-4OEn7BG8CMDC0ftnQ5q27NxGzjdgamkalE7XZ7P3TMkA
    or http://www.popularairsoft.com/files/images/XRL12_sniperkit.jpg

And most likely a silencer of sorts (though not sure how it will connect yet, trying to think of the best way)

And some other flash suppresors:
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 S63iao
    or http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/S/F/SF_MB556K_B_1.jpg
    or http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/S/F/SF_FH556-212A_A.large.jpg

Clearly only for aesthetic reasons but should be nifty. And once again being made out of plastic, and with a choice of colors, it should match the nerf gun quite well.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Got my first prototype printed off today, turned out better than I expected. (sorry for bad quality my phone camera isn't great)
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 22mmPrototype

From here I will print off a stage 2 prototype (with a few changes) of the nerf rail to 22mm converter. Of course it will be much longer.

Might also get the iron sights I did up printed off to see how they look. Put in the order for my printer today so got to wait 8 weeks before I will get one of my own. In the mean time I guess I will keep on designing stuff up.
    |Shadow|
    |Shadow|

Post  |Shadow| Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:13 pm

I cant remember where i saw it now (was in another forum).

Ok so this guy was using a 3D printer at a his school.
    He made attachment a LongShot that clipped on the front of the gun
    Just over the top where the front post sight is (if you can call it that lol).
    It was weaver rail or pinnacle (pretty sure it was a 20mm pinnacle) so he could mount his Magpul flip-up iron sight on the front of the LongShot.
    Looked really good and clipped onto the gun, like it it came with the gun (apart from the colour).

Wish i could remember what forum it was now.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:18 pm

|Shadow| wrote:I cant remember where i saw it now (was in another forum).

It was weaver rail or pinnacle (pretty sure it was a 20mm pinnacle) so he could mount his Magpul flip-up iron sight on the front of the LongShot.
    Looked really good and clipped onto the gun, like it it came with the gun (apart from the colour).

Well if you can find a picture of it I should be able to recreate it pretty easily.

I should add in that this stuff is wayyyyy stronger than I thought it would be. Even that tiny prototype I cannot break or bend with my hands at all and I bet it would survive a couple hits with a hammer.
    |Shadow|
    |Shadow|

Post  |Shadow| Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Joey wrote:
    |Shadow| wrote:I cant remember where i saw it now (was in another forum).

Well if you can find a picture of it I should be able to recreate it pretty easily.

I should add in that this stuff is wayyyyy stronger than I thought it would be. Even that tiny prototype I cannot break or bend with my hands at all and I bet it would survive a couple hits with a hammer.

I will have a dig around and see if i can find it.

Oh yeah i was reading up about 3D printing, its nothing to be laughed at that's for sure.
    The model you are looking at use ABS plastic compounds.
    Also you can treat the stuff further to harden it.

But I am sure you know all this already : )

Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

So I am still working on this, up to my second prototype:
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 22mmRailComplete
    (the one on the left is the newer version, which looks a lot better)

You may notice the 'bandit fox' logo which I made up when bored, will most likely stick it on the things I print.
    Nerf parts and accessories. - Page 2 BanditFoxLogo

I still home some adjustments to make and have to wait at least 5 more weeks for my printer but as soon as that is ready I should be able to open up shop

Will most likely be trying a gun trigger next, see how that turns out.
    mutzy
    mutzy

Post  mutzy Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

That is awesome. The possibilities are endless!
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm

I want one of these to make up dart heads. it would make producing perfect shape dart heads a lot easier.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:37 am

3D printers cannot print silicone.
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

Yea I know it doesn't. I would like ones made out of the normal print material. Obviously not for use on people..... Maybe
    boothy
    boothy

Post  boothy Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 am

Would you be able to produce a LS shotgun grip? If so I'm sure there would be alot of interest.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:47 pm

camo1010 wrote:Yea I know it doesn't. I would like ones made out of the normal print material. Obviously not for use on people..... Maybe

I am considering trying to print out a solid dart (and disc) and see how they do. Might be selling them if they are alright, though the legalities behind it might make me not bother.

Shotgun grip is possible, though I would have to think about how I would print it and how it goes on. I will add it to the list. Though being quite large it may cost more than the other stuff.
    Sheepie_125
    Sheepie_125

Post  Sheepie_125 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:20 pm

I've been asked about a shotgun grip and am thinking of drawing one up and based on rough figures and my current print shop prices it'd be up there at retail, do-able at print pricing though
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu May 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Just necroing this thread to say that my replicator has been built and is being shipped to me now, it should arrive in two weeks in which time I will set up a store. If anyone is interested in me printing stuff for them PM or bug me and we can set up a better method of communication to talk about it.

Either way I am quite excited to see what stuff can be made.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Joey,

I won't pretend that I know anything at all about these printer's, but do you think it would be possible to print out the build plates that I put on my LongShot's and Stampede's??

Cheers,
    frostythesnowman
    frostythesnowman

Post  frostythesnowman Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Joey wrote:Just necroing this thread to say that my replicator has been built and is being shipped to me now, it should arrive in two weeks in which time I will set up a store. If anyone is interested in me printing stuff for them PM or bug me and we can set up a better method of communication to talk about it.

Either way I am quite excited to see what stuff can be made.

mmmm i want some of those weaver rail adapters. must haz use of my EOTECH on rayven. haha
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu May 10, 2012 4:57 pm

clunk07 wrote:Joey,

I won't pretend that I know anything at all about these printer's, but do you think it would be possible to print out the build plates that I put on my LongShot's and Stampede's??

Cheers,

You mean the logo you put on the side? Sure I could probably do something up for ya. My printer has a duel extruder so I could print the plate in one color and the logo in embossed 3d in another. I rekon it would look quite good actually.

frostythesnowman wrote:
    mmmm i want some of those weaver rail adapters. must haz use of my EOTECH on rayven. haha

Hah yes I reckon those will sell quite well. Did you want the short one that I made or something longer? I was also considering making one that doesnt get screwed in but instead one solid piece designed to be glued on to the ail permanently.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Sounds good to me mate, definitely something worth looking in to.

Not that I'm focusing on any more commission's, but even if I had just the CWC logo printed, and no build number etc, then that would at least be a bonus for my personal collection.

We'll definitely have to discuss this at a later stage. Thanks.

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 am