Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+13
spectre
RetfirDMX
littlebro05
killerbunny
Philb2323
Jeo
Akimbo Assassin
mavshot
Photo Ninja
evozn
clunk07
Echoes
TylerMaxwell
17 posters

Orange Mod Works ranges revealed

TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Orange Mod Works ranges revealed Empty Orange Mod Works ranges revealed

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Alright, so the ranges have been officially shown

The Alpha Trooper is hitting a solid 87 FPS
    the Longstrike is an Okay 82 FPS.
    The Raider a respectable 75 FPS.

Converted to metres this is

Alpa Trooper - 26.5176 metres
    Longstrike - 24.9936 metres
    Raider - 22.86 metres

So, the Alpha Trooper is hitting an averaged 85 Feet and the Longstrike is hitting 80..what the heck man seriously, I should of just ordered the Alpha Trooper Kit if that's the case.

Regardless, I can't wait to get my Longstrike kit, 80 feet is very respectable and with Informer's stingers I expect to see a 100 feet.
    Echoes
    Echoes

Orange Mod Works ranges revealed Empty Re: Orange Mod Works ranges revealed

Post  Echoes Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:38 pm

FPS is the muzzle velocity, not the ranges. Just because it leaves the muzzle at 78 FPS, does not mean it'll travel that 78ft.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Echoes wrote:FPS is the muzzle velocity, not the ranges. Just because it leaves the muzzle at 78 FPS, does not mean it'll travel that 78ft.

Haha - yeh, spot-on Echoes!! (we really need a "like button")

And, from what I've heard, there's already been some major issues with installing the AT Massacre kit. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing a 100ft Longstrike without either throwing the entire blaster, or adding an air tank...

Cheers,
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I realise this, but I typed into google the simplest thing "fps to m/s" converter and those are the numbers I got, if they're wrong oh well I did something wrong.

I did scratch my head when the numbers came up exactly the same as feet but I just went with it, must of been wrong..care to explain lol haha.

Last edited by TylerMaxwell on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 pm

TylerMaxwell wrote:I realise this, but I typed into google the simplest thing "fps to m/s" converter and those are the numbers I got, if they're wrong oh well I did something wrong.

All you've done with that, is convert the measurement from imperial to metric. I think it would be fairly difficult to convert fps to distance, as there's far too many variables to take in to consideration. eg: dart weight, length, drag, humidity, gravitational spin of the Earth etc etc... lol

Cheers,
    evozn
    evozn

Post  evozn Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:21 pm

I don't really think these kits are worth it, the springs tho are. All up plus shipping is around $50 last time I checked. How hard is it really to brass it and reinforce the plunger with a washer. And it would be better to save the cash and invest in a new blaster or a homemade.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Personally, I'm not impressed with any of the OMW gear, mainly because of a few reviews I've read from credible modder's in the US/Canada, and due to the fact I don't have much interest in RP blaster's.

As for the LShot immortal kit... well, it's quite obvious that I prefer my own method. Mine may not be bulletproof, but they appear to serve their purpose quite well...

Cheers,
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Eh, Until I see an Australian producing Polycarbonate pieces as fine and well made as this I'll go OMW, I've yet to see any Aussies really innovate in the Nerf Modding department, the Angel Breech is US, and that's an innovation, and now Orange Mod Works spends a serious amount of cash producing FACTORY MADE Polycarbonate pieces, and actually if I were to choose homemade brass or OMW for a Recon or a Longshot as example, I'd go OMW for the Stage 1 and 2 kits, which are simply better quality and then OMW again for the upcoming Immortal Kit, which should aim to please, regardless I love your work clunk, they obviously don't do paint jobs anywhere near as nice as yours haha but this feels like the more safe way to approach it, and to commission someone (if you can't/don't want to) do it yourself then it cost money, no one's going to go "Ok well this part cost me 5...and this part was 2.50...so I'll charge an extra 10% and charge you 8.25, it doesn't work like that, they're going to want 20-30 dollars for their work plus supply cost, OMW is simply installation with outstanding result, from what I've seen in the Recon Massacre Kit.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Um... I'd suggest maybe doing a little bit more research...

The Australian modding scene has been quite innovative thus far. Just a few quick examples are inf0rm3r's foam and tips, OzNerfNerd's boltsled brackets, and BattleWorks brass gears for the Stampede.

Considering the Immortal kit is unreleased, and untested by general public... that's a pretty big call to pit it against "home-made brass breeches". Not to mention the amount of OMW polycarb recon plunger tubes that I've heard of breaking. These kits are designed primarily for those who lack the skills or ability to produce their own modifications.

On another note - FA24's breech has pretty much been made obsolete by SgNerf's brass breech. And, quite a lot of really good quality performance parts are coming from Xplorer's in Singapore. And, even in saying that, the founder's have said that their Lshot kit is aimed at those who are unable to make their own brass breeches as well.

And, I'm pretty sure that I heard on the grapevine that the Immortal kit only utilises a 6kg spring... Not that I've seen it published anywhere, so don't quote me on it.

As for factory-made parts... well as a general rule of thumb, custom-made parts are generally of a higher quality, as they're not mass-produced.

Anyway, each to their own.

Cheers,
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Oh, and another note on Australian innovation....

I'm yet to see on any of the overseas modding forums anything that will rival Bakabill's semi-auto Megastrike or my clip-fed Titan Pegasus. Just saying...

Cheers,
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Informer's darts and tips are very good yes, probably the best you'll find I'll say and so will hundreds others, but he's not the only one who's created darts and tips, now durhurhur yes he does do it in the most professional way but making darts isn't new, is it? I am probably wrong, and from what I remember, BattleGears recieved a mixed response from a lot of the people here on OzNerf, so maybe that's why it hasn't been thought and worked on before.

I won't go ahead and say that your longshot's are worse than the Immortal longshot's, because it's not true, yours hit 130 ft+, but that's because you know how to make them, take it from my perspective, I've never rebarreled anything, OMW takes my cash, and makes my gun 3x as better.

And isn't SgNerf in Singapore? haha so yeah it has been made obselete, by a different country. Plus I still see HEAPS of videos on people doing angel breech's.

the cost of Xplorer gear and anything from BlackTactical is very high, you know that haha you bought that metal clip a while back, I was interested in buying a Longshot Foregrip and a 12 Dart Magazine, but the cost would of been 130 with postage, which is kind of high.

And yes, nothing can beat the Pegasus haha but if you used it at a war no one would be ALLOWED to make a Pegasus ahahaha.
    evozn
    evozn

Post  evozn Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Isn't the point of modding is to learn and try new things? What the point then when you give someone money and they do all the work. Where is the fun out of that?
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:17 pm

The point of modding is to increase the strength of a Dart Blaster...Let the Inventors invent, it's only Nerf, Not every boy girl and inbetween is going to come up with a new idea for Nerf modding, and certainly not me as of yet, and until I do, OMW is the way but each to their own Evozn that you are right.
    Photo Ninja
    Photo Ninja

Post  Photo Ninja Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Many like to buy blasters off others rather diy (thats why people like clunk get their commissions). But most like to experiment, mod and invent new ideas. On another note, what country invented the RSCB?
    mavshot
    mavshot

Post  mavshot Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 pm

I really enjoy moding guns myself but understand that for some people its more the the end result rather then the challenge.

Anyway I don't trust orange mod works their gear is getting to many mixed results.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:15 am

TylerMaxwell wrote:Alright, so the ranges have been officially shown

Raider - 22.86 metres

So, the Alpha Trooper is hitting an averaged 85 Feet and the Longstrike is hitting 80..what the heck man seriously, I should of just ordered the Alpha Trooper Kit if that's the case.

Regardless, I can't wait to get my Longstrike kit, 80 feet is very respectable and with Informer's stingers I expect to see a 100 feet.

Are you new to Nerf scene? Because you seem very excited with all these mod options.

Anyway I think you should go back and edit your first post because it is all wrong. Like Echoes say, FPS (feet per second) has nothing to do with the final range of darts. It depends on the type of projectiles coming out from the barrel. For example comparing a piece of feather and a small solid pebble, if you able to throw them both with your hands and they leave your hands at 80FPS, do you think they both gonna fly the same distance? Of course not. The pebble is going to fly a lot further than the feather.

So please delete your "calculated range" for those 3 blasters, they are all wrong. How do I know? Because I have Orange Modwork kit myself here. One in my Alpha Trooper and I also have a Black Tactical spring in another Alpha Trooper, they both fire the stock streamline darts to similar range 40-45 feet, not 85 feet. So if you want improved range (and I'm talking about going from stock 30 feet to 45 feet improvement), then just buy a spring from one of seller in this forum or one from Ebay (can't remember the link), it's much cheaper than Orange Modwork.

P.S. To quote from yourself: "TylerMaxwell, Nerf mod god is busy, can I help you instead?" LOL, just kidding. Have fun modding.

Last edited by Akimbo Assassin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:17 am

@Tyler

The tag of "professional" is an odd one to put here. Sure they might be factory made, but whoever is in that factory probably aren't all that experienced with Nerf (This probably explains the terrible quality control issues OMW has had in the past). Calling them more innovative is also a little odd. They're no different to Inf0rm3r really. They took a design and concept that already existed it, and replaced it with better materials, making a superior product (in most cases anyway). All they needed was the capital to do it and the programs to design the breech.

I'm not sure I can say OMW are professionals either. They were distributing Vaseline as a lubricant for your blasters (But they've since corrected that error). They're also a fairly new venture, who have yet to prove themselves in the eyes of the greater public due to some shoddy quality and other issues with their gear.

Calling OMW's gear "professional" compared to those in the community is probably an oversight of how far Australia's community has come. We've designed an innovative way to make darts with uniform materials and at a speed that the other countries could only have dreamt about - I make 300 darts in an hour where some of the overseas communities would brag about 1000 darts in 48 hours. I'm not saying OMW is bad, I'm just saying you aren't giving your peers enough credit for the work they do and the quality it is.
    Jeo
    Jeo

Post  Jeo Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:21 am

With the amount of OMW stuff I've seen break under standard usage, I'll wait for the non-biased reviews of the new stuff to come in before I purchase (yes, I'm looking at you NMR).
    Philb2323
    Philb2323

Post  Philb2323 Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:37 am

Comparing OMW kits with home made breechs and such is like comparing apples and oranges (pun intended).

In general the home made gear is made with power and on the odd occasion rate of fire as the top priorities, OMW gear is designed for HVZ and so their priority is meant to be function and durability followed by performance (having said that, they have a fair way to go on those fronts too, lol) it is this that makes me think that the OMW LS kit is going to be a bit of a let down for most people, the function is still going to be hampered by the factory cocking mech (this is why they wont be putting big springs in them, cause you cant expect all the HVZers to cock it with two hands) and the durability... remains to be seen.

The best thing OMW could do for the LS (to fit in with their aim) is sell a kit with an AR free bolt, plunger padding, and an IPA grip at an approachable price point.

On the topic of their kits, my recon kit was terrible in stock form, however I now love it after my little tweaks (never jams, and hasnt broken since tweaked), enough to want to buy another, keeping in mind they are designed for stock foam, which they work really well with. my recon now seems to have compareable performance to my brassed, sprung, and deadspaced NF (venoms ebay kit). So I will say that a tweaked OMW kitted blaster should make a great close quarters primary or secondary for bigger games.

So in conclusion, apples for apple eaters and oranges for orange eaters, they all have their place you just need to understand why the differences are there.
    Blasters like Clunks PEGASUS are the rarest kind of blaster, modified for extreme power and great rate of fire, worked into a factory looking blaster. I cant compliment him enough on it.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:48 am

Some really good points there Akimbo, Echoes and Philb. I'd like to consider the majority of us here on ON and AN to be at the top-end of the modding scene, in that we mod our blaster's for performance and reliability in war scenario's, and utilise the best darts we can get access to. Obviously with safety in mind, there are limitations on our blaster's velocity, but I'd say the majority of wars advertised on here (and I'm assuming AN as well) don't target the use of stock blaster's.

I think Philb hit the nail on the head with OMW manufacturing their products aimed the HVZ scene.
    Definitely horses for courses, and people will always be biased towards their own preference.

For me, it's the entire process of modding a blaster that draws me in, and I don't focus on the final product. Modding is definitely a labour of love, and hosts big rewards when done properly. Yes, I make a few $$ out of my commission's, but that's not what it's really about. For instance, I charge around $60 for a paint job on a Stampede/Longshot. Each blaster takes around 3 hours of sanding for prep, and another 2 hours for painting/detailing, and that's a minimum. Working on that, it's $12/hr, which is bloody cheap, when you consider I can do an Overtime shift at work, and rake in $92/hr.

Cheers,
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 am

Australia has been really innovative. The reason no one here makes kits like hat is partly the cost also everyone can do those simple mods anyway.

Those kits aren't for modders they are just for HVZ people (MOST (not all) of which seem pretty noob when it comes to moddings. (I don't really see HvZ as real nerf anyway)

The best part of modding is when you try something new and it works. The only parts I buy are springs. I also rarely use mod guides.

I'm working on a project where The only parts I haven't designed myself and are building from scratch are the shell, trigger and pump. The valve will be unlike any other in a nerf gun and will release the air quicker than a bbumb. It may even rival clunks clip-fed titan

Thanh has a 100ft stampede, everything informer has ever done. (anyone noticed how the elite darts look a lot like informers darts?) I would say Australia is on par with the rest of the world when it comes to nerf if not ahead of the world in some areas.

EDIT: It's kinda insulting to the people in Australian nerf community who can actually mod when you say we aren't innovative, Australia has had to make do with less materials and stuff than places like America.

You should look into things and think about it before you post stupid things.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:29 am

Just saw what you said. Man, Tyler! How could you pay out your very own country like that. Clearly, you've been sucked into the contemporary crowd. I think the Australian community on a whole is offended by your statement =\.

You don't even NEED bloody polycarbonate internals. This sort of mindset is what OMW feeds off for their source of income. Oh it's polycarb, therefore it will last. When you can spend like less than $2 on reinforcing a plunger.

We in Australia have 'created' innovative designs. For example, oxymoron's petg breech idea was integrated well into SgNerf's Stampede Breech. Or an all aussie material +bow by TheBradl3s.

As Killerbunny said, they're probably aimed at HvZ players. Throw the kit, boom done. No effort required.

They're springs on one side is probably the only thing decent they sell for Reverse Plunger Kits.

My cousin has an alpha trooper that I have modified and reinforced the plunger. It has attended about 8 wars now. Probably fired over 1000shots now or more. Has a 6kg Spring from OzNerfNerd, and it still fires 65ft or so.

OMW claims 'up to 80ft' because you shoot it 'angled'. And that's heavily angled as well.
    RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:46 am

i feel like it doesn't matter who's innovative or not, just that innovation appears somewhere and is made available to everywhere. do i care that forsakenangel was american? nope. do i care that SGnerf is from singapore? nope. that brass gears for stampedes are only made in australia? nope. because all these are available to the entire nerf community.

ok, my opinion on the OMW subject is that OMW is catering to the people who want to mod, have money, but don't have much modding ability. those who can mod will generally (and wisely) avoid the expensive stuff they make. i am buying the polycarb kit because i'm afraid of the springs blowing my internals to bits, and i need a new priming handle. i'm adding 2-3 more springs to the 3 already in the blaster for those who are wondering.

TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:58 am

littlebro05 wrote:Just saw what you said. Man, Tyler! How could you pay out your very own country like that. Clearly, you've been sucked into the contemporary crowd. I think the Australian community on a whole is offended by your statement =\.

You don't even NEED bloody polycarbonate internals. This sort of mindset is what OMW feeds off for their source of income. Oh it's polycarb, therefore it will last. When you can spend like less than $2 on reinforcing a plunger.

We in Australia have 'created' innovative designs. For example, oxymoron's petg breech idea was integrated well into SgNerf's Stampede Breech. Or an all aussie material +bow by TheBradl3s.

As Killerbunny said, they're probably aimed at HvZ players. Throw the kit, boom done. No effort required.

They're springs on one side is probably the only thing decent they sell for Reverse Plunger Kits.

My cousin has an alpha trooper that I have modified and reinforced the plunger. It has attended about 8 wars now. Probably fired over 1000shots now or more. Has a 6kg Spring from OzNerfNerd, and it still fires 65ft or so.

OMW claims 'up to 80ft' because you shoot it 'angled'. And that's heavily angled as well.

I sir am offended hahahaha, If I had of turned on my own country I would of forked out the extra hundred or two and bought a custom stampede overseas, not from Mr.Yarrow

I've already made plans with my Father to try and build a brass-breeched longshot while in Perth, do you now see why I don't want to go Australian all the time?

I simply am not experienced enough, I've been reading guides and build tutorials over and over but I haven't got the tools to cut brass, or solder things, or cut out useless parts of plastic in the shell, my father has all that, plus 20 years experience doing so. That's why I go OMW by myself and home-made with my Dad.

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    TylerMaxwell wrote:Alright, so the ranges have been officially shown

Raider - 22.86 metres

Are you new to Nerf scene? Because you seem very excited with all these mod options.

Anyway I think you should go back and edit your first post because it is all wrong. Like Echoes say, FPS (feet per second) has nothing to do with the final range of darts. It depends on the type of projectiles coming out from the barrel. For example comparing a piece of feather and a small solid pebble, if you able to throw them both with your hands and they leave your hands at 80FPS, do you think they both gonna fly the same distance? Of course not. The pebble is going to fly a lot further than the feather.

So please delete your "calculated range" for those 3 blasters, they are all wrong. How do I know? Because I have Orange Modwork kit myself here. One in my Alpha Trooper and I also have a Black Tactical spring in another Alpha Trooper, they both fire the stock streamline darts to similar range 40-45 feet, not 85 feet. So if you want improved range (and I'm talking about going from stock 30 feet to 45 feet improvement), then just buy a spring from one of seller in this forum or one from Ebay (can't remember the link), it's much cheaper than Orange Modwork.

P.S. To quote from yourself: "TylerMaxwell, Nerf mod god is busy, can I help you instead?" LOL, just kidding. Have fun modding.

You're infact right, I am new to Nerf Modding, the best I've done is some AR Removals, some size reductions and spring replacement, nothing special but I'm not fond of going past that without the proper gear, I was going to buy OzNerfNerd's 14 KG Spring w/ Reinforcement, and then it recommended me to buy the brackets for my boltsled, great idea until I realised I needed a strong adhesive and my drill back just to remove AR's and strengthen the boltsled, little things like that can't be done in my house.
    spectre
    spectre

Post  spectre Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:42 pm

You're infact right, I am new to Nerf Modding, the best I've done is some AR Removals, some size reductions and spring replacement, nothing special but I'm not fond of going past that without the proper gear, I was going to buy OzNerfNerd's 14 KG Spring w/ Reinforcement, and then it recommended me to buy the brackets for my boltsled, great idea until I realised I needed a strong adhesive and my drill back just to remove AR's and strengthen the boltsled, little things like that can't be done in my house.

Adapt, improvise... overcome
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

spectre wrote:

Adapt, improvise... overcome

send me, some rotary, tools, for free. Hehehe.
    Nsnerfing
    Nsnerfing

Post  Nsnerfing Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:24 am

America invented the RCSB.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:44 am

Now son you should know that America is a country.
    sniperdude49
    sniperdude49

Post  sniperdude49 Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:47 am

I think he means Americans invented the rscb clip.
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:55 am

mister_elliott wrote:Now son you should know that America is a country.

Not sure if sarcastic...or making a very well-placed joke.
    sniperdude49
    sniperdude49

Post  sniperdude49 Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:17 am

Are these the massacre kits or just the stage 1 or stage 2?
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:19 am

sniperdude49 wrote:Are these the massacre kits or just the stage 1 or stage 2?

...Massacre Kits. There is no Stage 2 for any of the blasters I mentioned.
    sniperdude49
    sniperdude49

Post  sniperdude49 Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:23 am

Sweet I'm getting a long strike massacre kit when I have $37
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 am

sniperdude49 wrote:Sweet I'm getting a long strike massacre kit when I have $37

It's 49 dollars including postage, plus you need PayPal or a Credit Card.
    sniperdude49
    sniperdude49

Post  sniperdude49 Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:47 am

Is that postage to 4280? or is there no difference

Last edited by sniperdude49 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm