Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
TylerMaxwell
IamWaylander
Bommah
7 posters

Which is your favourite?

Poll

Which is your favourite?

[ 1 ]
    Which is your favourite? Bar_left20%Which is your favourite? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Which is your favourite? Bar_left60%Which is your favourite? Bar_right [60%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Which is your favourite? Bar_left0%Which is your favourite? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Which is your favourite? Bar_left20%Which is your favourite? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 5
    Bommah
    Bommah

Which is your favourite? Empty Which is your favourite?

Post  Bommah Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 am

So yeah, just wondering what everyone had to say about this.
    IamWaylander
    IamWaylander

Which is your favourite? Empty Re: Which is your favourite?

Post  IamWaylander Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 am

Has this got something to do with My little pony/Bronie ideals?

If so, that is very awkward for 12+ year old people to be watching such television shows. But I cannot complain, everyone has their tastes.
    TylerMaxwell
    TylerMaxwell

Post  TylerMaxwell Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 am

In my honest opinion, the My Little Pony thing is just a phase and/or something be seen as "cool" for...But eh each to their own as above poster said.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:38 pm

hater's gonna hate

this is locked? who even?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Joey wrote:hater's gonna hate

That would be me... haha

I have a 2.5 year old daughter, and have to deal with My Little Pony on a really regular basis... I'm meant to be able to escape ponies on this forum!!! lol

Cheers,
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:45 pm

clunk07 wrote:

That would be me... haha

I have a 2.5 year old daughter, and have to deal with My Little Pony on a really regular basis... I'm meant to be able to escape ponies on this forum!!! lol

Cheers,

Clearly you need to get hit by the friendship cannon. Now when I imagine you in your workshop I will think of you slaving away on guns while watching an episode or two.

I don't really watch the show personally, GF and a few friends do. Don't really get what the fuss is about, sure it isn't bad by any means but this stuff has gone totally viral. I really wonder how long it will last, a fandom can only run as long as content is provided, though the fandom is so big that it is creating content itself. Crazy stuff.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 pm

haha... nah, won't be watching any episodes in the workshop, though bub does tend to like to play with her collection while I'm toiling away. I have rather cunningly swapped out the ponies for Dinosaur Train in the workshop toybox, which has made a big difference to my sanity!!

But, every time we get in the car, it's on the dvd player. I haven't been able to get a win on that one yet...

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we can all imagine you sitting on the couch with the GF watching the show mate... nice romantic night in perhaps!! LMAO

Cheers,
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 pm

clunk07 wrote:Oh, and I'm pretty sure we can all imagine you sitting on the couch with the GF watching the show mate... nice romantic night in perhaps!! LMAO

Strangely enough that sounds a lot more appealing than most chick flicks. So sure I will take that on the chin.

Also I will just leave this here: (some NSFW language)
    Bommah
    Bommah

Post  Bommah Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:21 pm

IamWaylander wrote:Has this got something to do with My little pony/Bronie ideals?

If so, that is very awkward for 12+ year old people to be watching such television shows. But I cannot complain, everyone has their tastes.
    I have to say I actually really enjoy the show, it provides some happy lighthearted entertainment to take away my stress from the day. Also some of the fiction and music people make is amazing, when I read my little dashie, I don't think i ever cried so much since my dad died.
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Yea I was getting tired with my little pony and Dora the Explorer so I changed them over Rory the Race car. Now my daughter doesn't like any of that and my weekends with her are always on when the V8's are on. WINNING!
    Bommah
    Bommah

Post  Bommah Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 am

Joey wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:

That would be me... haha

Cheers,

Clearly you need to get hit by the friendship cannon. Now when I imagine you in your workshop I will think of you slaving away on guns while watching an episode or two.

I don't really watch the show personally, GF and a few friends do. Don't really get what the fuss is about, sure it isn't bad by any means but this stuff has gone totally viral. I really wonder how long it will last, a fandom can only run as long as content is provided, though the fandom is so big that it is creating content itself. Crazy stuff.

Well how long has it been since Shakespeare did anything and there are fandoms dedicated to him.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 am

Bommah wrote:
    Well how long has it been since Shakespeare did anything and there are fandoms dedicated to him.

You are comparing MLP to shakespeare. A big reason that shakespeare is still revered is that he is an icon to story writing. Most of the content generated is by comparing his works to other newer works, redoing his works in a different manner or analyzing his works. Where as I don't think bronies are doing that, sure they are generating their own content but arguably it isn't the same.

I will give you a closer example, nerf guns. We go nuts over new guns, if they stopped selling nerf guns we wouldn't get as many new people as the base content is gone. We make content ourselves by modifying the guns. You have to factor in that people will inevitably leave, some people will stay for a long time, others will not. As long as there is new content a fan base/fandom/forum (what ever you call it) can continue to grow. Without content, be it original or modified it is much harder for it to grow and it generally declines.

Generally in my experience I find that a fandom based around one TV show ends up significantly lowering when the show stops producing content. Now there will always be a fan base for it, but it certainly won't be as large as it is now. That is of course unless they can start to produce content themselves (and a lot of them are). I am just curious as to where the apex of this thing is at.

Also clearly rainbow dash is the best, by about 20%
    Bommah
    Bommah

Post  Bommah Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 am

Joey wrote:
    Bommah wrote:

You are comparing MLP to shakespeare. A big reason that shakespeare is still revered is that he is an icon to story writing. Most of the content generated is by comparing his works to other newer works, redoing his works in a different manner or analyzing his works. Where as I don't think bronies are doing that, sure they are generating their own content but arguably it isn't the same.

I will give you a closer example, nerf guns. We go nuts over new guns, if they stopped selling nerf guns we wouldn't get as many new people as the base content is gone. We make content ourselves by modifying the guns. You have to factor in that people will inevitably leave, some people will stay for a long time, others will not. As long as there is new content a fan base/fandom/forum (what ever you call it) can continue to grow. Without content, be it original or modified it is much harder for it to grow and it generally declines.

Generally in my experience I find that a fandom based around one TV show ends up significantly lowering when the show stops producing content. Now there will always be a fan base for it, but it certainly won't be as large as it is now. That is of course unless they can start to produce content themselves (and a lot of them are). I am just curious as to where the apex of this thing is at.

Also clearly rainbow dash is the best, by about 20%
    Hmm i suppose you're right about the Shakespeare thing. But if you ask me, it seems silly that people are still going on about it and comparing it with newer works and such, can't we just accept that his plays were frickin awesome and that there's not much point comparing them with new things as they are different in so many aspects and it's just unfair to try to compare the two.
    Also about 200% more respect for the rainbowdash comment.

Actually I better rephrase that, I wasn't trying to compare MLP and Shakespeare I was just trying to demonstrate that just because the guy hasn't made any content in about 400 years, there are still people who admire his works and rave about them.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Heh comparison is one of the greatest praises. He is held up as an icon of writing methods. Like newton is for physics. For that reason he will be a reference point for a long while yet. Is just how it goes.

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 am

camo1010 wrote:Yea I was getting tired with my little pony and Dora the Explorer so I changed them over Rory the Race car. Now my daughter doesn't like any of that and my weekends with her are always on when the V8's are on. WINNING!

Don't even get me started on f%$king Dora and Diego... though, they do give me some relief from watching MLP constantly.

Would much prefer Bubble Guppies or Dinosaur Train!!

Cheers,
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:13 am

clunk07 wrote:
    camo1010 wrote:Yea I was getting tired with my little pony and Dora the Explorer so I changed them over Rory the Race car. Now my daughter doesn't like any of that and my weekends with her are always on when the V8's are on. WINNING!

Don't even get me started on f%$king Dora and Diego... though, they do give me some relief from watching MLP constantly.

Would much prefer Bubble Guppies or Dinosaur Train!!

Cheers,

Haha doesn't it send you insane!? I have those moments when the DVD player conveniently "Stops working" when Dora has been on for a while.

It's not bad when I'm out mowing the lawn but when I'm inside on a rainy day, I get the urge to take to my ears with the cordless drill....
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:16 am

I think I just subconsciously block out the TV now. Admittedly, I only get bub 2 - 3 nights a week, so I'll pretty much put up with whatever she wants to do...

But, I'm having a fair bit of success with the transition to Bubble Guppie's, which isn't anywhere near as annoying as Diego/Dora or MLP.

It's not all bad though - Alexya is a pretty big fan of 80's cartoons as well - Robotech, MASK, G-Force are among her favourites, which is fine by me!! haha

Cheers,
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 am

Haha rock -on! I'm trying to find the entire series of the old transformers cartoons, she loves those. I watched one on youtube a while back and she sat there the whole time with out saying a word.

Now she asks if we can watch it everytime she comes up
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:45 am

I've got Gen1 Transformer's on DVD (box set), though bub seems to prefer BOTP G-Force, which is cool, as that was always my favourite as a kid. She doesn't mind MOTU either... haha!!

Check out madman - http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?boxset=1&releaseTypeId=1&webChannelId=1&sortKey=3&method=browse&pager.offset=320

It does appear they don't have the original season 1 & 2, but it just may be out of stock.

Cheers,
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 am

Have you got a burner or USB drive you can copy them onto? I'll send some $$$ for it

Maaaaaattte
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:37 am

I've got to get a decent ripper, and I'll let you know mate.

Cheers,
    sniperdude49
    sniperdude49

Post  sniperdude49 Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 am

No idea what this is but im going with rainbowdash ^_^
    Bommah
    Bommah

Post  Bommah Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

sniperdude49 wrote:No idea what this is but im going with rainbowdash ^_^
    I dub you, "20% COOLER"
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 am

clunk07 wrote:I've got to get a decent ripper, and I'll let you know mate.

Cheers,

Cheers mate

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm