Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+14
Kaine
Swatsonia
ChrisPChips
Eclipse
clunk07
TylerMaxwell
WH1PLA5H
mister_elliott
|Shadow|
Joey
Dietzie
mull
camo1010
cfb_rolley
18 posters

Purpose built competitive blasters

Kaine
    Kaine

Purpose built competitive blasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Purpose built competitive blasters

Post  Kaine Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 pm

For starters, I can't find much at all in reference to what is the legal definition of an "air rifle" in Australia. I remember some states have a fps indicator of what is considered a weapon, but I can't find that now either. It like a lot of things seems to be pretty vague, technically under the 1997 legislation a Nerf gun is considered to be a weapon, same with a straw and a spitball.

For the actual design perhaps starting with something like a stripped NF (but perhaps bigger) for a springer, and a decent metal compressed air tank for the tank blasters (tankers?).
    I would think designing both mechanisms to be of comparable size, so that the internals could be different but fit in the same shells, would be ideal.
    Or perhaps, have an attachable stock for tankers, that is the air tank. For example, soda stream has 40L/60L/100L* CO2 tanks.
    Also if you want to go all the way, it shouldn't be hard to design the springer, so that you can use a motor in it for auto, or take out the motor kit and use it as a semi-auto.

*Currently have a plan running for a Raider conversion to allow a 100L tank and a rotating tubular magazine. Just have to actually start doing something about it....
    camo1010
    camo1010

Purpose built competitive blasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Purpose built competitive blasters

Post  camo1010 Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I have an old deploy that I dismantled. I want to put the turret from a maverick into the spot where the mag well was. I want to chop out the insides and make it an air blaster
    mavshot
    mavshot

Post  mavshot Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 am

You will also have to find out the legality on a state basis.

May I suggest that you build a couple of springers because you are going to have legal trouble with airguns. Also you should build a pump action attachment.
    It would also be good if you created much stronger internals so the thing will actually last a few years.
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 am

A LS-style blaster with all-metal internals... that would be very nice however, a CNC machine would be needed for that or someone that has all of the right equipment to make a mold and cast them out of metal.

If we could get out hands on a furnace, we could use the pull tabs off drink cans. They are made of an alloy consisting of aluminum and small quantities of titanium to give it strength to open the can (they fetch a good price at the scrappers too)
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 am

mister_elliott wrote:
    Swatsonia wrote:*cough*HOMEMADES*cough*

Seriously, since these things are primarily aimed at 10 year olds, the companies cannot do something like this.

Yeah pretty much.

I don't think homemade springers will have much of a future after this weekend, which is great since air systems are easier to fit anywhere..

In terms of concealing ridiculous power levels, definitely. Homemade springers can still pack the same range as airguns but with a much higher RoF, though. They're just harder to fit into existing shells.
    Arkham
    Arkham

Post  Arkham Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:02 am

Last edited by Arkham on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 am

A springer would be good for close combat.

I want a high powered air blaster for non-human targeting
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:33 am

camo1010 wrote:A springer would be good for close combat.

Not necessarily. My Snap Carbine, which has been defined as "meh" by the Americans in terms of power, will never be used to shoot someone within 10m during normal gameplay. Something with that velocity and weight behind the dart will leave welts aplenty in CQC.
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 am

I'm not so much worried about the damage (to an extent) the RoF is what I want
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 am

Swatsonia wrote:
    camo1010 wrote:A springer would be good for close combat.

Not necessarily. My Snap Carbine, which has been defined as "meh" by the Americans in terms of power, will never be used to shoot someone within 10m during normal gameplay. Something with that velocity and weight behind the dart will leave welts aplenty in CQC.
    Having been shot with Swats Snap Carbine I can say that is quite powerful and is actually impressive.
    camo1010
    camo1010

Post  camo1010 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 am

I think I need to see this.

What's the RoF like?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am

Swatsonia wrote:
    mister_elliott wrote:
    Swatsonia wrote:*cough*HOMEMADES*cough*

Seriously, since these things are primarily aimed at 10 year olds, the companies cannot do something like this.

Yeah pretty much.

I don't think homemade springers will have much of a future after this weekend, which is great since air systems are easier to fit anywhere..

In terms of concealing ridiculous power levels, definitely. Homemade springers can still pack the same range as airguns but with a much higher RoF, though. They're just harder to fit into existing shells.

Nothing against home-mades, or yourself Swat, but I'd be pretty impressed myself to see any springer compete with air blaster's in range. It's apples and oranges really. But, yes, without a doubt, springer's will always own with ROF. Even with all these yet-to-be-seen miracle semi-auto etc air blaster's, a manually-primed 2-stage springer will always have the highest ROF over an extended period. You really can't carry around an auxillary air tank that can match the endurance and speed of the human arm...

Cheers,
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 am

alright, alright, it's definitely possible to build a semi-automatic VALVE for an air blaster yourself, but darts still would have to be manually loaded. the method involves a main air tank leading to the "normally open" side of a 3-way valve, which fills a piston valve. reverse the 3-way valve and it pilots the piston valve, which imparts the piston valve's chamber pressure on the outlet side of the piston valve. 3-way valve is deactivated back to it's normal position, and automatically refills the piston valve.

This post on my blog from ages ago roughly explains how piston valves work.

..furthermore, I think I'l start on a modular springer blaster design, possibly do a few shell designs for it, then just, release the designs to whoever wants them. I'll probably one day have one made for myself, but to be honest what I'd want out of the work I'd be doing is to see someone pick up the designs and use them to make foam sports better.
    Kaine
    Kaine

Post  Kaine Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 pm

mavshot wrote:May I suggest that you build a couple of springers because you are going to have legal trouble with airguns. Also you should build a pump action attachment.
    It would also be good if you created much stronger internals so the thing will actually last a few years.

Just for reference, one of the common methods that air rifles use is a spring powered piston, also the law doesn't really differentiate between them, as many methods are listed under what air guns use to fire a projectile.

Thanks to Clunk in the other thread the threshold is 180 fps 1M from the muzzle. Bearing that in mind perhaps aiming for 170-175fps muzzle velocity.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Kaine wrote:
    mavshot wrote:May I suggest that you build a couple of springers because you are going to have legal trouble with airguns. Also you should build a pump action attachment.

Just for reference, one of the common methods that air rifles use is a spring powered piston, also the law doesn't really differentiate between them, as many methods are listed under what air guns use to fire a projectile.

Thanks to Clunk in the other thread the threshold is 180 fps 1M from the muzzle. Bearing that in mind perhaps aiming for 170-175fps muzzle velocity.

As mentioned earlier, when inf0rm3r tested his chrony out, I'm positive that most air blaster's were above the 180fps threshold, and a few were over double that rate. My own observation puts a plugged Titan at a similar velocity of a .22 cal air rifle, if not a bit higher.

I'm unsure if a BBLS has been tested, but it would be interesting to see the fps rating of one. My advice would be to aim for something around the velocity/range of a modded PAS. The couple I've done up hit around 110 feet, and will pierce one layer of cardboard with a stinger. Obviously, I'm a bit vague with power limitations of other states, but a PAS modded to this level fits the requirements of most Brisbane wars. Just my thoughts anyway...

Cheers,
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 am

Alright. Here's where I'm at and what I need some assistance with.

I've already started some basic drafting on a spring blaster, however I need some exact measurements now before I go any further, but my vernier calipers need new batteries and everywhere is closed for the next 2 days.

I need to know 3 things:
    1) I.D of the breech of any CS Nerf blaster.
    2) O.D of the longshot plunger O-ring
    3) horizontal distance of travel between the bolt open position and bolt closed position on a LS.
    4) compressed length of a LS spring

I'm not copying these measurements, but at the same time I'm not wanting to go way too excessive.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 am

cfb_rolley wrote:Alright. Here's where I'm at and what I need some assistance with.

I've already started some basic drafting on a spring blaster, however I need some exact measurements now before I go any further, but my vernier calipers need new batteries and everywhere is closed for the next 2 days.

I need to know 3 things:
    1) I.D of the breech of any CS Nerf blaster.
    2) O.D of the longshot plunger O-ring
    3) horizontal distance of travel between the bolt open position and bolt closed position on a LS.
    4) compressed length of a LS spring

I'm not copying these measurements, but at the same time I'm not wanting to go way too excessive.

1. 13.47mm
    2. o-ring - 35.18mm. ID of plunger tube - 35.98mm
    3. 80.2mm - that's the priming bar travel.
    4. 25.7mm compressed stock LS spring

You do realise that's 4 things.... haha

Cheers,
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 am

lol whoops, forgot to change it to 4 haha. thanks very much, pretty interesting that there's a 0.8mm tolerance between the o-ring and the plunger tube.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:09 am

cfb_rolley wrote:lol whoops, forgot to change it to 4 haha. thanks very much, pretty interesting that there's a 0.8mm tolerance between the o-ring and the plunger tube.

Yeh, well the o-ring size is best guesstimate really. Trying to measure the diameter of a flexible rubber circle isn't the easiest of tasks. But, yep, that's why the teflon tape around the o-ring seat is so important.

Cheers,
    Coolys1000
    Coolys1000

Post  Coolys1000 Thu May 31, 2012 2:13 pm

I think that if someone was actually going to do this they should at least look through the questions/general nerf threads and see what people want and are looking for in a nerf blaster or attatchments i.e a useful scope/acog scope, a decent laser beam on the bottom that works well, metal internals etc. look at them first then see if you can incorporate it into a nerf blaster.
    that's what i think needs to happen at least.
    What do you think?
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Thu May 31, 2012 2:29 pm

In terms of designing something that could be sold in volumes that'd be a wise idea. At the end of the day, if anyone wants to sell blasters that aren't Nerf, they're going to have to go head to head against Nerf, and to be successful at that it's gotta be one hell of a blaster that pleases a large group of people, and is also cost effective. Best w to do that is to, like you said, read questions.

Making a once off however would mean that you're not bound by such constraints, so you could build the most expensive, insane blaster for yourself without worrying about who's going to like it or how well it would sell.

Thank you for kicking this thread up by the way, reminded me I should stop being lazy and keep designing a blaster.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 am