Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+13
radiantraidercs-35
Primus1356
cmd
KingCam
Chaos-Blades
littlebro05
inf0rm3r
nerffirefight24
Roger Explosion
Nuggetsfan
AlmostExperts
Pritchy96
-Aj-
17 posters

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up

-Aj-
    -Aj-

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up Empty Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up

Post  -Aj- Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:10 pm

So having been around here for quite a while, I've yet to really share any of my significant modding endevours.

I thought this gun, which I just finished literally minutes ago... would be a good start.

I wish I could offer a step by step writup, however there was so much guesswork involved in the cabling runs..I kinda just started and after a few nights of being up until 2am I finished. This is actual the revised edition.

In my 1st go I tried to place an LED very close to a moving part (catch) this didn't end so well, so I had to rethink my LED placement and redo a couple cable runs. Also a couple LED's got burnt out due to the catch LED messing up, so I had to replace those.

I'll add an internal wiring diagram /photo when I open the gun again. I'm going to replace the 9v with a brand new one soon, and the gun will be put on ebay.. I love it, and my housemates dont want me to sell it, but I figure I can always just make another.

Anyways - excuse the iPhone pics, camera is my housemates room and He's asleep as its 2:20 am.. better pics tomorrow night, may even do a video for youtube.

Mods - Straw modded plunger
    - Russian Roulette
    - Modified trigger
    - 9 diffused blue LED's added.

The LED's are rated at 3-5v each, so I grouped them into 3 sets of 3, wired in series, with the 3 sets being connected in parallel to the 9v. A rocker switch on the handle base is in charge of switching duties and so forth..

pics...

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_0148
    As you can see the wiring is not very noticeable. I used thin white cable and tried where possible to run it along the seams.

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_0149
    It looks boss loaded with Lanard Shotgun darts

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_0150
    He's a rocker...not a roller...

LIGHTS OFF! MAV ON!

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_0152

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_0151

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_0155

There is a lot more ambient light projected than the iPhone's shitty camera can capture, however in future I'd love to find a way to make the LED's diffuse even more and get rid of the 9 'hot points' of light

Will update with better pics etc. Hopefully tomorrow but then again it is a friday... I work in Entertainment and Hospitality so the weekend is always super busy...

peace

Aj

Last edited by -Aj- on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pritchy96

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up Empty Re: Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up

Post  Pritchy96 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm

wow, very nice!
    AlmostExperts
    AlmostExperts

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up Empty Re: Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up

Post  AlmostExperts Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Nice mod, just a question here, what type of LEDs are you using with what restrictors?

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 am

Sorry for being an AJ in this situation but, wouldn't it be inpractical in a war. You can see it from 100 metres away.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 am

You're correct about the practicality. It's purely a display piece, not intended for wars but cosplay or just so people go "coooool". If you wanted to war with it you could just turn the lights off... in which case it's just a nicely modded mav hitting 40-50 feet consistently.

You wouldn't catch me dead with a maverick at a war anyway.

I used 5mm diffused blue LED's from Jaycar and I assume you mean resistors (??) in which case I used none. The combination of series and parallel wiring I used ensures an even and safe amount of current is delivered to each light without the need for resistors.

Aj
    Nuggetsfan

Post  Nuggetsfan Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 am

Man that's absolutly insane where'you get the idea? so hoping we get the new clear blasters out here even non nerfers will spin out on the awesomness
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 am

I cannot claim originality, A guy on Nerfhaven completed a similar mod also, however I'd had the idea from pretty much as soon as I'd heard there were clear guns coming out, way back when these were released as a limited edition in Gamestop in the US. I guess the 'idea' came from case mods.. a lot of my mates do them to their computers (add LED's etc)

The Clear raider pics I've seen indicate it has a lot of potential for LED lighting bitchin'-ness.

Aj
    Roger Explosion
    Roger Explosion
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Roger Explosion Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:04 am

Almost Bannable wrote:Sorry for being an AJ in this situation but, wouldn't it be inpractical in a war. You can see it from 100 metres away.

You see, your wrong there. If people can't see your gun 100 meters away your not doing it right.

The only way to make that maverick better would be to add a LED chaser circuit, though there would nowhere to hid it. Or paint the inside with a translucent paint. A glowing green maverick would look boss.
    nerffirefight24
    nerffirefight24

Post  nerffirefight24 Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 am

That if so true Rodger is someone pulled this off i would name it the coolest looking maverick ever, it would look like kryptonite.
    Anyway back on topic, a maverick hitting 40 to 50 feet consistently is pretty good to me seeing as its a rapid fire hand gun it would be great as a third weapon to my deadly combination of the well modded longshot and the quadded lanard triple shot. Would you sell that maverick or posibly mod one for me at whatever price you think its worth?
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Nice mod AJ, reminds me of those completely clear PCs with loads of LED's.

As for your gun being seen miles away who cares, up close combat is more fun.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:41 pm

nerffirefight24 wrote:That if so true Rodger is someone pulled this off i would name it the coolest looking maverick ever, it would look like kryptonite.
    Anyway back on topic, a maverick hitting 40 to 50 feet consistently is pretty good to me seeing as its a rapid fire hand gun it would be great as a third weapon to my deadly combination of the well modded longshot and the quadded lanard triple shot. Would you sell that maverick or posibly mod one for me at whatever price you think its worth?

Well! You could make it shoot 40-50ft if you replace a more beefier spring in there but at the risk for the trigger catch to break... I get 40ft (angled) with my Maverick and all I did was removed the AR and decreased the deadspace. Google My Maverick Mod and you'll find it on nerfhaven.

I would totally love one of those Mavericks to shine if I went to supernova if you've ever heard of that before (big cosplay festival of marvel comics and anime) Your gun is so appealing xD.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:47 pm

littlebro05 wrote:Your gun is so appealing xD.
    That's what she said. And it was called for. Nice modding skills AJ!!
    nerffirefight24
    nerffirefight24

Post  nerffirefight24 Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm

HAHAHAHA! Nice one Chaos-Blades.
    Anyway Aj would you think of doing a commission for me??
    Its an awesome gun with good ranges I LIKE IT.
    KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am

love your work man i would love to buy it off you
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I was about to put it up on ebay but if anyone wants to make an offer they can.

I have noticed some diminished performance, it does not hit 50 anymore like it did when 1st assembled, now it is 30-40's consistently. I have no idea why this is, mavericks are fickle creatures.

When making an offer please consider the gun cost me $20, parts $15 and it took a considerable ammount of time, so I won't let it go for nothing

Aj

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 pm

I have some questions.
    Will you sell it for $50?
    Can I send the money by post?
    How is it powered? I.E batteries.(I am not very smart with electronics)
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

I sold the stock clear mav for $50, so no I want more or this one.

It is powered by a 9v battery, you need to take apart the gun to replace it, however it will come with a fresh one so it will be ages before it runs out. It has the quick connectors so once the gun is open replacing it is a breeze.

I also am able to, at buyers request put a female plug in the base of the handle so that it could be hooked up to a 9v power pack and left on as a display piece

Aj
    KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

i will give you $65 for it
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm not trying to be an ass but $30 for a lot of work does't really seem worth it, I was hoping for around $80-ish, which I'm pretty confident it will reach on ebay, but seeing as you're buying other stuff, I'd do 120 shipped for this and the clips. works out to 77.50 including shipping for the mav, plus the clip order you have already placed

Aj
    KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:05 pm

ok im happy with that
    nerffirefight24
    nerffirefight24

Post  nerffirefight24 Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:56 am

Hey Aj do you think you could do a well written write up with lots of pictures so i can see what you have done.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 am

Here's some pictures from a decent camera.

Cam has cancelled the purchase of this gun and I am making one with Red LED's inside it instead for him, see my trading thread for details on that. That does mean this gun is still available, it will go on ebay monday or tuesday night if I do not receive any offers on it.

NFF24, I may post an internal picture, but a writeup is not needed. Dealing with electronics is a separate skillset to nerf modding, and if you have some decent skills in this area a writeup would not be needed.

It is not theoretically difficult, all I did was install my LED's, hook them up in balanced circuits so that they don't blow out etc etc (using series and parallel wiring, if you don't know what this is do not attempt this mod)The LED's were attached to the insides at various points and the wires ran along seams etc to they would be as inconspicuous as possible. You dont need to put them in the same spots as I did for this mod to work, and the circuit I used only works with this colour of LED as others have different voltage and mAh requirements/limitations. For example with the RED LED gun I'm working on for cam I'm using 3 circuits of 4 LED's with a pulldown resistor and 1 circuit of 3 LED's with a larger pulldown resistor as the Red LED's are rated at 2v 20mAh.

anyways enough talk. PICS!

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1306
    Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1307
    Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1308
    Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1309
    Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1311
    Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1314
    Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1313

Aj
    cmd
    cmd

Post  cmd Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:39 am

Looks really nice AJ. Well worth the price you're asking in my opinion. Any chance of internals?
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:40 am

internal pictures as promised!

i opened it up the other day, replaced the 9v with a fresh one in preparation for selling it, I also cut off a small nub that I forgot to last time so now it FULLY opens and spins a lot better.

As i've said earlier, this circuit only works with specific LEDs so do not just blind copy expecting it to turn out OK. You need to know electronics to do this stuff.

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1320

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1322

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1324

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1325

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1326

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1327

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1333

Clear Maverick REV-6 - LED Addition + The Usual mods Internal pics now up IMG_1349

Also.. VIDEO

chex it out yo

DAS LINK

Aj
    Primus1356
    Primus1356

Post  Primus1356 Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:01 am

hi im new but could you post a diagram of the circuit please. i really want to make one for my friends birthday
    radiantraidercs-35
    radiantraidercs-35

Post  radiantraidercs-35 Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Yea ill be doing the same thing with the raider but ill have to think on what size LED's I will need to get A full profile lighting for for the gun. But thanks for the inspiration AJ heaps good idea for A little bit of bling to nerfing
    ComputersAreMyHobby
    ComputersAreMyHobby

Post  ComputersAreMyHobby Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 pm

I understand what you did with the LEDs in series-parallel, but how could you have 3 3.5V LEDs connected to a 9V battery? I'm with everyone else, that if you could please make a schematic, it would be very helpful. Thanks!
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:34 am

I dont post a circuit diagram because it just changes with whatever LED's you use.

For 3 x 3.5 you would not need a resistor, just connect them in series as a group of 3 and then run other groups of 3 in parallel to get more lights.

For 2v LED's (The standard) use runs of 4 wired in series with a 56ohm pull down resistor (1/8watt) and then connect additional runs in parallel.

Also I completed a red version using 2v LEDs for forum member KingCam - It's a lot better than the original blue one, and the video is up on youtube

Link to youtube video

Aj
    ComputersAreMyHobby
    ComputersAreMyHobby

Post  ComputersAreMyHobby Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:51 am

-Aj- wrote:I dont post a circuit diagram because it just changes with whatever LED's you use.

For 3 x 3.5 you would not need a resistor, just connect them in series as a group of 3 and then run other groups of 3 in parallel to get more lights.

For 2v LED's (The standard) use runs of 4 wired in series with a 56ohm pull down resistor (1/8watt) and then connect additional runs in parallel.

Also I completed a red version using 2v LEDs for forum member KingCam - It's a lot better than the original blue one, and the video is up on youtube

Link to youtube video

Aj

Thanks! I'm actually going to be doing a mod like this on a nite finder and maverick after I come back from vacation. (I also commented on your video)
    newbhunter7

Post  newbhunter7 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:05 am

NICE MAN!!!!!!!!!!! i want to do this myself but im only 12. if you can do a vid or a post telling us how to do this that would be EPIC!!!!!! thx bye
    ZeusPwns
    ZeusPwns

Post  ZeusPwns Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:35 am

*Im not trying to backseat moderate*

First of all mate, the last post was in 2010. No point in replying a thread that old. Also, your age states your 19. Nobody, will hate you because you are young, so just put your real age.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:49 pm

@newbhunter7 - please update your profile with an avatar, a real location etc etc.

Zeus - writing I'm not bsm'ing doesn't actually do much for you in the eyes of the Admin. Because, really, that's exactly what you're doing.
    If you really want to help out a new member - either send them a PM, or let a Staff Member know, and they will follow it through.

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 am