Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Hi Im Synergie

Synergie
    Synergie

Hi Im Synergie Empty Hi Im Synergie

Post  Synergie Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:45 am

Hi I'm Reece "Synergie" Gallagher, I'm 19 and got into Nerf guns after being introduced to Humans vs Zombies. This Christmas I got the Nerf Maverick, Recon, Bandolier Strap and ammo for each gun. I can't tell you how excited I was when I found Oznerf and especially when I found there were public Nerf wars in Sydney (I live down in Sydney's South in Lugarno, near Hurstville). I'm an avid PC gamer and regular go to public LANs like SOGC and SGL and very much would like to start getting into the public Nerf wars.

I read the eye wear thread and spoke to my father who works in an Industrial workplace and was able to give me two pairs of Prosafe Polarised Saftey glasses for free, let me show you an excerpt from the packaging, "These safety spectacles meet the requirements of AS/NZS1337 for Medium Impact Protection. Use in accordance with AS/NZS 1336 - Recommended practices for occupational eye protectors." I assume these are the real deal and more than suitable for public Nerf Wars? I would just like the final OK from an admin or mod.

Another question is, what are the limits of modified blasters? I've found a great Youtube user: thesullos who shows you how to mod your Mav and Recon. I plan to follow his mods which will include removing the air restrictor, is this permitted?

EDIT: Another question, with the Bandolier belt, I'm having a hard time understanding how I can use it as a rifle sling for my Recon? Can anyone explain/provide photos?

Last edited by Synergie on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Acerised
    Acerised

Hi Im Synergie Empty Re: Hi Im Synergie

Post  Acerised Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 am

Welcome!
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:40 pm

There's no T, instead it says Medium Impact, Dad uses these at work though, I tend to trust that.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:47 pm

As seen in my OP I only have a Mav and Recon, currently unmodded, the glasses meet the "leet" standard as is the running joke, I'm happy with that, I wont be sue anyones ass for losing an eye in the unlikely event.
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm

With modding guns removing the AR is recommended generally you can do whatever you want except for plugging titans and painting it to look real.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:29 am

I'm still learning about the Nerf community and after lurking some more of Oznerf's forums it has become apparent to me that the Recon is a poor gun. For those that are still following this thread, what is your opinion on this claim?

Post  Guest Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:16 am

Last edited by DesertKind on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:43 am

To be honest, I based my decision on getting a Recon according to the HvZ Wiki. I won't be throwing more money at Nerf wars yet, maybe ammo for the moment and I'll see how I go at the first war after modding my current weapons. I can see how the Raider would be a better weapon however, frankly it's an ugly looking gun, I imagine there is a very valid design reason why the magazine receiver is horizontally oriented, but when attaching a drum magazine, it just looks silly and unwieldy. While in terms of the Longshot, the HvZ wiki also claims the newer "Yellow" version is far inferior to the earlier "Blue" model, as far as I can see in the shops, the Blue version is long gone, even on eBay they are hard to come by.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 am

Welcome buddy.

Maverick and Recon are relatively restricted modding wise, this is because in the Recon they come with Reverse plungered system which means the spring is on the outside of the plunger with limited room to upgrade it, these also break very easily from even simple Air Restrictor removal etc. You can purchase a aluminum plunger from Black Tactical which allows you to upgrade the spring but it is costly.

The maverick can be upgraded a bit but performance increase is minimal.

If your good with your tools and understanding start on working on a fully completed long shot, it's very worth it in the end! If your after phenomenal ranges go for a Buzz Bee Big Blast (Online only) or Nerf Titan (Toys R US) or even A Triple shot (Toys R US)

There's no limits to modifications as long as they remain "safe". By safe generally guns shooting over 110ft are banned in most wars. I am also working on phasing out all metals from darts and replacing them with plastic/silicone alternatives for safety in general.

If you are after ammunition to make yourself I sell the best material available probably worldwide and it works out a hell of a lot cheaper than Nerf ammo, silicone tips are also coming soon which means we'll have the best performing darts available at half the cost of Hasbro's products.

HVZ generally limits their guns to close to stock, because people don't enjoy being hit by a 110ft ranged gun at close range it does hurt even with the soft tips. The blue longshot is better as it did come with a stronger spring but the yellow can easily be upgraded to suite.

Enjoy your stay
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 am

Nice try, but I'll just buy Nerf ammo, thanks for the offer though. I've just finished spending $3000 on a water cooled computer build, that's my biggest hobby, I can see the dedication of this site's members and I respect that, however I won't be taking my Nerf hobby quite to the same degree, so for the moment I'm just going to follow the videos I found on youtube in modding the Maverick's barrel, air restrictors and replace its springs and the Recon's air restrictors and springs.

EDIT: I think we can boil this discussion down to, I can still have fun at Nerf wars even with just my Mav and Recon right?
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 am

Synergie wrote:

EDIT: I think we can boil this discussion down to, I can still have fun at Nerf wars even with just my Mav and Recon right?

Of Course.

If you'd rather buy Nerf ammo that's fine, but your ripping yourself off $15.00 to the 100 darts doing so and once the tips arrive even $20.00 to the 100.

I to have computers as a hobby and it's somewhat difficult to balance the costs between the two. Water cooling bit of an overkill? I find a good Noctua fan on top of an I7 will keep those nice and cool even when OC'd.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:19 am

Oh but the bragging rights of getting an i7 to 4.5GHz...
    Nuff said. (Would the grammar Nazi's let that slip, it's a "valid" internet phrase)

I understand your point on ammo and I understand I'll be paying more.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:23 am

Yeah Nerf ammo is very expensive compared to his foam...

Box of streamlines 100 = $29 = 29cents a dart

1metre of blue foam = 60 (75cents with postage) = can make you about 15-16
    Hot glue = $2 for 27 = 7.4 cents a stick = two sticks-3 sticks are generally used for 15-16 darts = 22.2cents for the metre
    00 sinker weights = $5.50 for 200 = 45cents

Total = $1.272 - $1.422
    Divide the total by 15-16 darts = 8.8-10cents a dart.

100 darts x 10cents = $10 for 100 darts

So if you're willing to rip your self of for foam darts that don't even fly straight in general Nerf Wars... then by my guest. The only time I can see stock darts being useful in a war is for Humans Vs Zombies as it's a safety issue. Even ask the other members of these forums. It costs that much to make a dart compared to buying it off the shelf. Once those silicone tips come in, they'll probably be a little more expensive, but still $10-15 cheaper than buying Nerf darts :).
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 am

It's also a matter of making the darts, I imagine it's a tedious process.

But anyway, there is no use dragging this on, you have all made your point and I acknowledge it.

I've now moved outside, see pictures, laptop here for checking the forums, cricket on just inside and I've attached a target board inside the window to practice against, I'm SET!

Hi Im Synergie 28122010131.th Hi Im Synergie 28122010132.th

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 am

That's what my arsenal looked like until I got addicted and just impulsively buy crap...

And have fun not hitting your targets with shitty streamlines then :).
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 am

There's a little breeze up, quite funny how wide they're flying now, today is just getting comfortable with my new guns and wearing my safety glasses (they're in the previous post's pictures on the table).

I've got another few questions now:
    1. Should I NOT store my Recon and Mav cocked?
    2. How the hell do you attach the Bandolier strap to the Recon?
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 am

After just loading the Recon I realized I can load seven darts into the clip, is this bad for my magazines?
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:17 am

6 is optimal, 7 sometimes will give you grief with jams etc and slowly destroy the darts, depending on your gun I guess.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks for that, after doing some target shooting, now I'm moving onto tactical reloading: FAST.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:39 am

Synergie wrote:Thanks for that, after doing some target shooting, now I'm moving onto tactical reloading: FAST.

I find that you don't need to reload fast, and usually trying to reload fast under pressure is different from doing it in a war.. You'll find out soon enough.

I just take my time. If your teammates aren't bad they'll cover you.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:50 am

Fair enough, if all else fails I'll grab my Maverick out of it's holster (should arrive tomorrow from Hong Kong), that's going to be mad! I think in the new year I'll get a Yum Cha Tac Vest off eBay, that said, is wearing a Tac Vest at a public war permitted, or are we bordering on scaring the public?
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:57 am

As Long as your blasters are brightly coloured, along with your clothes is the recommendation.

All black everything would be silly in other words.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 am