Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+8
Unknown
mister_elliott
interflop
Akimbo Assassin
Winterstrike
littlebro05
Xoenz
Synergie
12 posters

Modding Questions from a Newbie

Synergie
    Synergie

Modding Questions from a Newbie Empty Modding Questions from a Newbie

Post  Synergie Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 am

I own a Mav and a Recon and I am just starting out in the Nerf world and have no plans to buy new weapons in the short-term.

I followed a couple of videos on Youtube and completed the Russian Roulette and AR Removal mods on the Mav, evidently I only gained a foot or two at best with the AR removal, needless to say I am disappointed, which leads to my first question, it's now obvious the next step is replacing the spring, I wouldn't know the first thing about springs, nor where to buy them, so can you point me in the right direction of a store, online or physical and advise me specifically what I need to buy.

In terms of the Recon, it's very much the same story, followed a video on Youtube to remove its AR (I drilled it out), I wrapped some tape around the base of the spring (Pre-loading it, I think you folk call it), I also taped up the small holes half way up the barrel, I had positive results from these mods, however I have not padded the plunger. littlebro05 has stated on these forums that padding is useless, instead one must reinforce the plunger using "a washer and 3 day epoxy", can littlebro or someone else explain this process a little further as I know this must be done ASAP before I use the Recon again. Finally, just like the Mav, can someone point me in the right direction of a spring vendor and advise me what spring I should get.

Thanks in advance.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Modding Questions from a Newbie Empty Re: Modding Questions from a Newbie

Post  Xoenz Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:05 am

Well, for the maverick add 2-3, 5 cent coins at the bottom of the spring, will increase range maybe 1-2 meters.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 am

It's because you suck at modding. End of story. Nah, just joking. Your standards are too high. The Maverick I've made shoot up to around 50ft mark with just the AR removal. The issue is the plunger to barrel seal.

If you have any common sense. Put a washer inside and the outside of where the it impacts. If you still dont' understand it then... put it where you would 'pad' the plunger...
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 am

I own a Mav and a Recon and I am just starting out in the Nerf world and have no plans to buy new weapons in the short-term.

Your problem was that you bought possibly the two most awful guns for modding, other than a hornet.
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:35 am

Well I may have answered most of my own questions, I remember Akimbo Assasin telling me at a recent war he bought a RDS from Black Tactical. I've ventured on there and found these darts, what's your opinion of those, simply some knock-offs and marketing spin? Or will it truly shoot much further than original streamlines as it is "low density". I've also found this O-Ring and this spring, would it be fair to say if I bought these I will gain a substantial improvement?
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:03 am

LOL you guys are mean.

Rhys, you are right about the spring I bought from Black Tactical, but even with replacement spring and AR removal, the gain is only about 10 feet. My yellow maverick before mod only shoots 25 feet (in flat angle of course), and about 35 feet after all the mods. Surprisingly my stock Clear Maverick also shoots about 35 feet
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:18 am

Akimbo Assassin wrote: Surprisingly my stock Clear Maverick also shoots about 35 feet

Yeah, actually Akimbo, I agree with you on that one. My Stock Clear Maverick does about the same too.

Mavericks seem this inconsistency to it. I bought a yellow stock maverick that shot very well. I've got it to shoot to 50 on flat angled and I was like, what the hell? It's just the seal to the turret though.
    interflop
    interflop

Post  interflop Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Something that may help increase your range is to glue the front piece of the plunger to the shell itself in the front-most position. It normally is loose and moves around a bit so having it as far forward as possible improves the seal.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Tue May 17, 2011 12:25 am

appending onto what interflop said, a seemingly uncommon mav mod is to place a "washer" of airtight foam around the plunger's mouth, giving it a better seal to the cylinder. I got my foam in the form of padding on big w coat hangers, but you can also use the fins from hobby rockets or discs from toy disc shooters. Just file some of the yellow plastic away from around the plunger mouth and glue the foam in, use some common sense and you should get a better seal and an extra couple of metres. The next step after that with your mav is making your own darts or buying some off informer. After that, get a new spring and do a re barrel job with petg.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue May 17, 2011 12:30 am

mister_elliott wrote:appending onto what interflop said, a seemingly uncommon mav mod is to place a "washer" of airtight foam around the plunger's mouth, giving it a better seal to the cylinder. I got my foam in the form of padding on big w coat hangers, but you can also use the fins from hobby rockets or discs from toy disc shooters. Just file some of the yellow plastic away from around the plunger mouth and glue the foam in, use some common sense and you should get a better seal and an extra couple of metres. The next step after that with your mav is making your own darts or buying some off informer. After that, get a new spring and do a re barrel job with petg.

Similar to this.

mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Tue May 17, 2011 10:30 am

Unknown wrote:
    Similar to this.

Yes, thank you.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue May 17, 2011 2:25 pm

I know you're asking about the mav and recon but try modifying a nitefinder. I was like you when I started. my very first mods were the mav and recon. I actually angel breeched my recon but that's a little too advanced for you right now.

The nitefinder mod is a good way to learn and understand the 'basics'. I find that in its simplicity, shows you how all springers basically operate. Plus, the nitefinder mod is easier to find springs for and the power and ranges dwarf the recon's and mav's. You'll also learn the difference between reverse and direct plunger.

The recon and mav (most n-strike series) have reverse plungers. They are considered inferior to direct plunger systems mainly due to their smaller plunger tubes and difficulty in finding upgrade springs that will fit.

Direct plunger systems, like the ones found in the nitefinder, can also be found in popular primaries such as the quadshot/octoshot, longshot, RFSG(Doomsayer), +bow and home mades.

Once you understand the nitefinder mod, all other springer mods will become easier.

Air blasters are another story. Show up with a modded 4B and people will fear you!
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Actually, that's not bad advice.

The nite finder is only 10 bucks, there is a very powerful spring available from bunnings (I've got one but forget the number at the moment, someone will say it).

You can make a good barrel for it from a bit of 16mm electrical conduit.

And it will shoot bloody far and hard!

When my boys and I have a battle, the nite finder is off the menu as it hurts too much for young kids.

Strongly recommend you grab one of these to start with.

Cheers,
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Tue May 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Funny to see my thread from 4months ago, the 4month rule doesnt come into effect for another 4days. Anyway, I've come along way since then, overhauling my Stampede as per SGNerf's guide.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm

The Nitefinder is basically the cover all modifications for future spring powered blasters. It includes the following...

- Air Restrictor Removal
    - Plunger Padding
    - Plunger Reinforcement (for strong springs)
    - Plunger Head Seal (O Rings and Teflon)
    - Plunger Spring Upgrade or Double Up -> The spring you were thinking of was c836
    - Catch Spring Upgrade
    - Barrel Replacement, includes couplers and permanent barrels

Very cheap like Oznerfnerd said

As MIG follows, purchase a Maverick as they are also very cheap.

- Understanding what a turret function and seals
    - Seeing what the difference between a reverse and direct plunger is
    - All of the above

Then MIG follows up with a Recon

- What a clip system blaster is.

Basically a good list to follow for springer mods, then when you get the hang of it all, you can be more creative as you now know the basics of Spring Blasters
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Tue May 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Synergie wrote:Funny to see my thread from 4months ago, the 4month rule doesnt come into effect for another 4days.
    Rough outlines are rough, I would've done something hadn't it been due to the fact that some actual intelligent discussion was made.

I hope after these four months that you've learnt that reverse plungered blasters suck balls.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Tue May 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah the 4 month rule only applies if the new post does not contribute in any way. Pretty clear in the rules.
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Tue May 17, 2011 11:24 pm

[/quote]I hope after these four months that you've learnt that reverse plungered blasters suck balls.[/quote]

Ha Ha.

Yes they do.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:57 am