Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+9
SnowDragon
seph
TheBradl3s
Frankie27
phuonguyen
matt.chopper
KingCam
Eclipse
psyk
13 posters

Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up

psyk
    psyk

Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up Empty Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up

Post  psyk Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:32 am

Sup everybody.

I picked this up yesterday while I was roaming around one of my local departmental stores...
    "Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster"
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_6807-16

it was cheap, and it looked like a Nerf Scout (cos I've yet to see a Nerf Scout in real life).
    Usual retail price is SGD$13.90, it was on a 20% discount so it came up to SGD$11.10!
    plus, i like the stock colors alot!

okay... first, here's a quick look at the blaster:
    (kindly ignore what i mentioned about "the chatbox being down", this video was originally intended for SGNerf but now it serves a good purpose)

So after that, I really wanted it to fire off "standard sized" darts...
    so I cracked the fella open... and ended up doing an overhaul on it.

---------COMMENCE WRITEUP!---------

Things you need (or rather, things I used)
    - Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster (shortened to SB Blaster)
    - Dremel (with sanding bit)
    - Pipecutter
    - Goop (Plumbing Goop - the purple colored tube)
    - Europet 13mm ID PETG (I'm going to shorten it to EpPETG for this writeup)
    - Philips head screwdriver
    - Some lubricant (I use Waxco Silicone Spray)

OK so...
    get your SB blaster
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 001

remove the priming handle (of course, this is where your philips head screwdriver comes into play)
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 002

and open it up. here's a look at the internals:
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 003

looks so much like a Maverick, doesn't it?
    Also, Hanzo showed me the internals of a Nerf Scout (thanks, Hanzo!)
    and this is literally an upsized version of the Scout.

Moving on, remove the barrel + plunger head from the plunger tube and
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 004

Then, it's time for AR removal! easy-peasy since I'm gonna change the barrel entirely
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 005

I didn't do anything to the stock skirt washer, simply because it has an amazing seal.
    over 90%. seriously.

next, get a stock SB dart, cut up a length of the EpPETG and:
    (tightening rings are PURELY OPTIONAL)
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 006

I chose EpPETG cos it's an ideal fit for Stefans & FBR foam.
    and, it's a twist-fit for the SB stock darts. (twist-fit is alright, cos it's a springer) yes, I'm aware that it doesnt fit stock Nerf dart sizes well... but, that's nothing that some e-tape can't handle.

anyways, more about the plunger system now,
    yes it's a reverse plunger system, but now there is virtually no deadspace between the
    plunger tube, plunger head, and the dart. This is probably the closest that
    a reverse plunger system can get to being a direct plunger.

Then, cut out 2 small discs of EpPETG (these are about 3cm in length each)
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 007

and goop them into the stock ammo holders (i used only goop as the sole adhesive in this overhaul... you can use whatever you like) and yes, they sit nicely.
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 008

then, get the remainder of the stock barrel and cut off the "muzzle" area.
    widen the ID with a dremel.
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 009

once the goop on the new barrel + plunger head cures,
    shove it back into the plunger tube
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 009a

so apply a ring of Goop on that excess portion of the EpPETG and shove it into the widened muzzle
    (make sure you test fit it first before you apply the Goop, please.)
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 010

it should look like this (if it doesnt, then you've done it WRONG!! lol)
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 011

now before the Goop on the muzzle end cures, lube the plunger head up
    and fit everything back into the blaster so you get the correct spacing
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 012

and once that cures, you can close up the blaster.
    make sure you thread the metal rod on the priming handle through the loop of the return spring, like you would on a Maverick or a Scout.
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up 013

no, I didn't do a spring replacement or a double-spring setup, simply because
    I feel the stock spring is strong enough already. I'm happy with it, and this would make
    a very good sidearm. it's really, really light.

nothing's stopping you from doing a spring replacement though.

close it up, and here's the demo vid!
    (i removed all the little stickers on the SB Blaster... didn't like them LOL)

so all in all, i like this blaster. why?
    - Good stock spring power
    - Great stock plunger seal
    - Nice blue-yellow colorway
    - not made out of cheapo plastic
    - fairly easy to mod
    - closest reverse plunger system can get to a direct plunger
    - strong catch springs (yes... they're stronger than Nerf catch springs)
    - yes, it has a rail the same width as any Nerf N-strike blaster
    (but you need to do some simple modding for it to accept any N-strike attachments)
    - and the most important... CHEAP!

big smiles all around. haha.
    Eclipse
    Eclipse

Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up Empty Re: Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up

Post  Eclipse Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 am

Ths looks just like a Nerf Scout. I reckon if these were to be available in Australia, it would definately appeal to many Nerfers. Me, for one would love to pick one up. Anyway, nice write-up. I'm just jealous of that PETG!
    KingCam
    KingCam

Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up Empty Re: Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up

Post  KingCam Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:05 am

danerfdude wrote:Ths looks just like a Nerf Scout. I reckon if these were to be available in Australia, it would definately appeal to many Nerfers. Me, for one would love to pick one up. Anyway, nice write-up. I'm just jealous of that PETG!

Psyk's dos not live in Australia,
    He live in Singapore so I don't think we will see the gun for some time.
    matt.chopper
    matt.chopper

Post  matt.chopper Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 am

Cool write up, I also like the colour scheme.

psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 am

KingCam wrote:He live in Singapore so I don't think we will see the gun for some time.

That's right! But I don't know the availability of this particular blaster outside of my country.
    It wasn't put on display with other toy blasters, it was on display at the Spongebob Squarepants section so you guys might just wanna try your luck.
    I've seen other spoofs like Beyblade foam blasters too.

matt.chopper wrote:Cool write up, I also like the colour scheme.
    yep that was one of the main pulling factors for me. haha!
    KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 pm

psyk wrote:
    KingCam wrote:He live in Singapore so I don't think we will see the gun for some time.

That's right! But I don't know the availability of this particular blaster outside of my country.
    It wasn't put on display with other toy blasters, it was on display at the Spongebob Squarepants section so you guys might just wanna try your luck.
    I've seen other spoofs like Beyblade foam blasters too.

matt.chopper wrote:Cool write up, I also like the colour scheme.
    yep that was one of the main pulling factors for me. haha!

Psyk's can you please Update your Profile with a Avatar,Age and a Location.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 pm

KingCam wrote:Psyk's can you please Update your Profile with a Avatar,Age and a Location.

Can you not Back seat moderate?

Also if you do want to BSM, can you at least do it in correct grammar?
    It looks dodgy otherwise.... -_-

Oh BTW @ psyk Awesome job on the blaster, the only difference is that the catch mech and the trigger is different from the scout. Just a little info! Though the fact that it features a skirt seal instead of an oring seal is a bit interesting, for me.

Last edited by phuonguyen on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Post  Frankie27 Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm

phuonguyen wrote:
    KingCam wrote:Psyk's can you please Update your Profile with a Avatar,Age and a Location.

Strike 2.

Actual no strike, just a warning as nowhere in the rules does it say 'No Backseat Moderating'
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Frankie27 wrote:
    phuonguyen wrote:

Strike 2.

Actual no strike, just a warning as nowhere in the rules does it say 'No Backseat Moderating'

I can see that it has been removed from the rules, but this is where it originally came from:
    http://www.oznerf.com/t2141-back-seat-moderating

It was made by ms4e when he was still admin, and as he is not now, i'm not sure if it still counts.

And to PSYK, good job, it looks like a better scout lol.

- Brad

Last edited by TheBradl3s on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow. I want.
    Spongebob Blaster? Isn't that just epic?

Nice write-up
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

That doesn't look like a Scout, it *is* a scout.

Apart from the little barrel extension, it's dead on.
    Cerbyn
    Cerbyn

Post  Cerbyn Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

We should so start a petition to get these imported into Australia I'd personally buy a couple of them. They look awesome and they look like they perform awesomely.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Seriously, I didn't know it was of such importance... I'll get down to it once I'm at my home PC.

phuonguyen wrote:Oh BTW @ psyk Awesome job on the blaster, the only difference is that the catch mech and the trigger is different from the scout. Just a little info! Though the fact that it features a skirt seal instead of an oring seal is a bit interesting, for me.
    Yeah, I seen the internals pic of the Scout and yeah the catch mech and trigger is different although the function the same... and that skirt seal really is amazing. I mean, you can use e-tape under an o-ring to create a 100% seal, but this skirt seal is already 90% so I'm just happy.

TheBradl3s wrote:And to PSYK, good job, it looks like a better scout lol.

- Brad
    SnowDragon wrote:That doesn't look like a Scout, it *is* a scout.

Apart from the little barrel extension, it's dead on.
    Really? I don't know for sure cos I haven't seen one but are these the same size as a Scout? this blaster's size is almost like a Nitefinder's size... I guess you guys are probably right...

Cerbyn wrote:We should so start a petition to get these imported into Australia I'd personally buy a couple of them. They look awesome and they look like they perform awesomely.
    Seriously though, if you guys are interested I could do an order for you guys, you know, I can ship everything over to you guys in bulk or something, but it'll just be a one-time thing... but you guys should just go to the mall and look at the kids section of any store and see if they got this under the Spongebob area...
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

That's a wicked colour scheme for a Scout. It's also interesting to note the use of a skirt seal with the plunger as opposed to a single O-ring on the Hasbro model as phuong mentioned earlier.

I've tried looking for more info on this blaster but it seems to me that this blaster must be a promotional item of some sort. That's right kiddies; I did use Google, a skill some of you can all use once in a while.

But really, the one thing that has caught most of my attention is that Europet PETG that you've got. I've never seen something so dank and legendary as clear black PETG since carbon fibre tubing. I want some for my AT3K.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Silent Scope wrote:That's a wicked colour scheme for a Scout. It's also interesting to note the use of a skirt seal with the plunger as opposed to a single O-ring on the Hasbro model as phuong mentioned earlier.

I've tried looking for more info on this blaster but it seems to me that this blaster must be a promotional item of some sort. That's right kiddies; I did use Google, a skill some of you can all use once in a while.

But really, the one thing that has caught most of my attention is that Europet PETG that you've got. I've never seen something so dank and legendary as clear black PETG since carbon fibre tubing. I want some for my AT3K.

No seriously, if you guys wanted I could help you guys ship afew over.
    Just that you guys gotta cover the shipping costs, haha.

The only down side to the skirt seal that I can think of is that if it wears out, it's gonna be harder to replace than an O-ring. the skirt seal, however, is made out of a rigid sort of rubber...

carbon fibre tubing? that has to be sweet. haha!

the Europet clear black PETG is rather expensive, it can go for up to SGD$8 for 1 metre.
    they're found in aquarium shops, so maybe you could just drop by your local aquarium shop and find an equivalent to this? the ID of EpPETG is 13mm while the OD is 15mm.
    Found in the same aquarium shops (most of the time) is a clear, "thinwall" PETG with an ID of 15mm and and OD of 18mm, so it acts as a "spacer" to nest and connect EpPETG into 13mm sized PVC couplers. Try your luck! bring some stefans (they're small!) to your aquarium shop and try your luck!
    Cerbyn
    Cerbyn

Post  Cerbyn Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:37 am

psyk wrote:

How much would the shipping be? I'm sure I could get a few people to order them in West Australia.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Cerbyn wrote:
    psyk wrote:

How much would the shipping be? I'm sure I could get a few people to order them in West Australia.

I don't really know about the shipping charges, I estimate it to be afew dollars per piece... they're not too heavy actually, and the packaging resembles a maverick packaging...
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm

I recently got myself a Strikefire box set cos they were going dirt cheap at a local store here, and I wanted them for spare parts (Ahtanie showed that the ammo holders on the strikefires make a perfect barrel spacer for Quadshots)...

so I cracked them open and found that they have the same internals as the Spongebob blasters, not the scouts as scouts are smaller than the SB blasters

Comparison:
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_6807-19

The only difference is that the Strikefire muzzles have a little nub at the very top... (Orange = Strikefire, Yellow = Spongebob)
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_0073-5

Cut away or sand the nub down and they are practically swappable with no problems.
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_5249-7

the difference, still, is that the SB blastershave a much better stock seal, and they come much cheaper. And, you can buy them individually, as opposed to having to purchase a box set for the Strikefires.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Alright,

Thanks to wrxloonie, I had the opportunity to see a scout in real life.
    So... size comparison time!

Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_5249-8
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_0073-7
    Spongebob Squarepants Battle Blaster Mod Write-up IMG_3658-3

so yeah, the Spongebob Blaster is slightly larger than a Scout!
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 pm

I am in complete disbelief over that revelation. Really, I'm sure most of us belive they were made from the same mould casts.

Let me get my Paypal funds going here...
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:17 am

Wow, awesome write-up ! Not too bad for Spongebob.
    I'm really considering asking for one to be shipped out.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 am

lol the wonders of modern technology means computers make the moulds. This means I could be the same mould as the scout but 10% bigger with a few asthetic changes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 4:19 am