Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

2 posters

2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots

RL
    RL

2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots Empty 2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots

Post  RL Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:58 am

(I think this is a homemade, but if it belongs in the modifications, please move it admins/mods)

So in another thread, you saw thestick's awesome breech with the spring mechanism.

This one is the primitive breech - because I made out without a dremel, mitre box, fancy stuff. I only used limited materials. I would say this is the introductory level breech. It is so easy I did it, and I did it with ease.

What you need to have
      -20mm orange conduit
      -Inf0rm3r's PETG
      -Diagonal cutting pliers
      -Hacksaw
      -16mm conduit coupler
      -tape (sticky, masking, cloth, electrical, whatever)

Breech length
    The length of my PETG was 23cm, and the conduit 21cm. [addendum: longer lengths are better] So the extra 2cm of PETG was wrapped with tape and I placed it on a conduit coupler then superglued in. Epoxy also works, but I had ran out by Friday). With the coupler, it can stand straight without me having to sand it down minutely to make sure the cut was even.
    2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots 03042014

The cut where the bullet would fit was the most important. Compared to Coop772's breech, mine can fit a streamline just by dropping it into the hole and then some space. It's about 8cm.

Cutting the halfpipe part
    I used a saw to draw up about 7 cuts halfway down the pipe; 7 cuts in 1cm intervals. Then I tried to cut diagonally between the intervals. It kinda worked, though cutting diagonally is very difficult without a mitre box. So I used the pliers just to pry it out. I kept snipping until a dart could fit just by being dropped into the breech. As you can see in this photo there's a part where I've "overcut" with the saw. Then I sanded it down to try and even out the plier cuts.
    Here is a diagram.
    2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots Breech10

2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots 03042011

Taping for 'snugness'
    With the PETG, the length that I mentioned earlier was arbitrary; it was the last lengthy piece I had so I just decided to use the whole thing. PETG to 20mm orange conduit is almost snug fit, but a roll of tape around it will enable the PETG not to slide around. I decided to put one on either ends. The middle one serves as an indicator when the breech is completely open; hence I don't need to open further than that.
    2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots 03042015

And to fit into a 15mm PVC coupler, I just used a few rolls of tape. Clean up the inside of the conduit, place in the PETG. My breech has a few dents from the pliers cutting a bit too much. If you can't clean it out by sanding, use some epoxy putty, hot glue, any filler. I prefer the former.

Future considerations
    Current problems are sometimes when I place it in, it's not aligned straight. To fix this I needed to sand down either ends, as well as stop being a crapshoot. This works best with blue foam darts. This has also been documented, wherein the quarter pipe is seen as a better alternative for loading darts than the half pipe (at least with the brass breeches). I still prefer the halfpipe to keep the conduit stable.

With this you'll never have to single again.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alternative to this would be to wait for your birthday/get a job, acquire some 'Edith Cowans' (our equivalent of Benjamins) and buy a dremel.

Last edited by 2120 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots Empty Re: 2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots

Post  NachoTaco Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Nice, I will be trying this tomorrow for my big blast.
    RL
    RL

2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots Empty Re: 2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots

Post  RL Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Update: Idiot Breech 2.0

2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots 11041412
    2120's primitive breech a.k.a breech for idiots 11041413

I made a new breech, the front piece isn't a coupler but just normal 20mm conduit. Since it was 30cm long instead of the 23cm which 1.0 was, I needed a less awkward way to reload. So by e-taping a parallel 16mm conduit (length around 22cm) on the front piece, and hot gluing a perpendicular 8cm 16mm coupler, Idiot Breech 2.0 is born.

There's a parallel conduit just to make sure it doesn't wobble too much, the first piece.

When e-taping the two parallel 16mm conduit it can't be too much because it'll create too much friction against the 20mm barrel.

N.B. credit to the "stick breech" as an inspiration for this one. I didn't have compression springs, but I still wanted to make a slightly more advanced version of the Idiot Breech (which is an oxymoron haha)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:03 pm