Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
clunk07
Unknown
boosted6
makeitgo
8 posters

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids

makeitgo
    makeitgo

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Empty How I do My Nerf Mod Vids

Post  makeitgo Fri May 27, 2011 5:16 am

Some of you have showed interest in my Nerf mod videos, more specifically in my video production. Here's my basic set up.

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0024

All my videos are filmed at night but I light it as if it were day (I do have a day job). I do this because psychologically, you the viewer are made more alert because you 'feel' like it's day. You'll be more apt to watch the entire video (entertainment value aside).

Many of my videos are shot over several days. For example, my Octo-Shot Tutorial videos, took 3 and 4 days each, respectively.

You'll notice I only use 2 lights but they're 'not' directed towards the action but at the walls and the cieling. This gives a soft, diffused light. In other words, no harsh shadows. Note the shadow of the handle on the fridge. The actual light bulbs themselves are 26w -150w equivalent, daylight, fluorescent bulbs. They each have a light output of 2000 lumens at 6500k. They can be found at Home Depot for around $14 each. Yeah they're bright! Don't look directly at them.

I'm aware you see the fluorescent lights right above the action area. Those are very unattractive lights that 'ring' on camera. Also, direct top light is not attractive to a subject. It gives them dark shadows over their eyes, nose mouth and neck. It can be attractive but gives a very overly dramatic feel. Very unnatural. Plus, it shows wrinkles and blemishes more.

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0044z.th How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0032e.th How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0039e.th How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0036z.th How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0040r.th

The light near the ceiling is fixed. I never move that one. But the one attached to the counter gets moved (swung, as the term is on set,"Swing the light!") quite a bit according to the shot. Sometimes I'll point it towards the ceiling, sometimes higher, lower, out towards my living room. Which ever angle makes it seem like it's still day and the same time.

Even though my videos take hours and days, the lighting looks like it was done as if no or little time has passed. ie. the sun never seems to move.

All my videos to date, including my Massacre 6 promo Countdown vid, were shot entirely on my iPhone4! That's right a dinky little camera phone I've recently bought a new camera but I haven't made a video with it yet. These photos are from my new camera.

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0042l

In the above photo, you can see how the lighting plays off the wall to make it look like daytime in the viewer of my iPhone... That's my new camera too. Haha.

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0051z

The cheap $9 tripod can be moved around and adjusted anywhere. But I'm very careful about not breaking the 180 degree rule. Notice you never see my living room during the mods.?...

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0055i

I also use my Gorillapod when I want to get 'really' close to the counter.

I actually shoot one long take from one angle. Mistakes and all. And repeat for another angle. That way I can chose interesting angles and cuts. The 'JUMP CUT' style editing allows for me to make mistakes. Trust me. I make A LOT!!!.

"It all gets fixed in post". (As an editor, I can say, we hate when people think and say that! But in this case, it's true.)

Here's where the real magic happens!

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0062a

I use Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini. Final Cut Pro ROCKS!!!! It's better than everything else I've used, imho.
    For those of you in the know, that is the 'Action Essential 2' DVD FX pack sitting on top of the Mac Mini. OH YEAH!!! Expect FX in my videos in the near future.

This is what my time lines look like.

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0063z Massacre 6-Countdown

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0066nOctoShot Tutorial

Now that you know what my set up looks like, check out the photo below and compare it to the one at the top. When you can't actually see the lights, Doesn't it look like day?

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Sam0049

There's a saying amongst masters of their craft, "Only a fool blames their paintbrush. It's the artist not the paintbrush." - The first thing I was taught in Art school and Film School. It's so true.
    boosted6
    boosted6

How I do My Nerf Mod Vids Empty Re: How I do My Nerf Mod Vids

Post  boosted6 Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 am

I'm speechless, so much effort has gone into your videos, and its all taken for granted.

Thats a really good insight for everyone wanting to make a good quality video at home. Gave me some good ideas, thanks MIG.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue May 31, 2011 9:21 am

I saw this when you posted it on NH and I must say, it is amazing how much work you put into this.

You can really see how your extra effort has made your videos stand out from the crowd.

Good job
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 31, 2011 9:25 am

Nice work MIG.

Think I'll stick to the mods, leave the filming up to you!!

Cheers,
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 am

Yeah this is an awesome setup. Looking forward to seeing more video's from you in the
    NEAR future. lol
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Tue May 31, 2011 10:13 am

Wow great setup.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Tue May 31, 2011 10:18 am

Awesome! I'm a media student and we're learning all about this stuff. You are PRO!
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 am

I'm too poor to afford such editing software. I've used it for about 2 years before I stop. It's pretty much a gg'd memory for me now ;(.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 am

I don't even have a mac for such editing software. For us PC users, it's Corel Video and Sony Vegas

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:33 am