Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+6
redcricket077
melbnerf619
clunk07
abowden
False
RL
10 posters

How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures)

RL
    RL

How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) Empty How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures)

Post  RL Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:44 pm

First off, this is an amalgamation of different 'dartsmithing' ideas - that thread by LittleTwigs, and advice in the splitting darts thread from different people (servulus and clunk off the top of my head)

Instead of continuously whining about my blue foam darts splitting up in the middle, I decided to do something about it. This is what I did, I call them 45mm sili tips.
    How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) 18072010
    As the name says, they're 45mm long (because I love metric)
    How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) 18072011
    I cut it to a length of 45mm, and then with the 'leftover' piece I decided to turn them into strips of foam.
    How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) 18072012
    Then those strips, using that thing.. from inside a ballpen, were rammed into the tubular hole of the silicone tipped blue foam, were my fingertip is pointing. Now as to how much foam you put is a matter of discretion. Personally I like to keep it a bit dense so that it doesn't deform too much.
    How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) 18072013
    How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) 18072015

Now I tested it after this step, but the foam rammed in could, and would fly out during propulsion. Of course superglue is a no-no with foam so I decided to use hot glue instead. A tiny sufficient amount, enough to fill in the hole. I specifically use my hot glue in a low-temp, so I only do it in batches of seven, letting the hot glue cool down in between so that I'm not burning foam.
    How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) 18072014
    Apologies for the bad focusing.
    ========

I know this might not be your cup of tea. There are certain limitations for this one. First up you might not want the 45mm length of your darts. Secondly you might think it's too much weight for a dart and you lose range. But what I've done now is I have a vast selection of darts I can use depending on which blaster I feel like playing with.

Suggestions are very much welcome

EDIT: in terms of ranges.. I would say it's comparable to a 8g snap cap dart, just a bit better. Though as with amateur dart-smithing, it's always little things that make a difference between good, great and a lemon. I've had darts sail through 30 meters, but others fishtail at around at 24m mark

Last edited by 2120 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    False
    False

How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) Empty Re: How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures)

Post  False Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Nice work, man.

How are the ranges affected? (compared to a normal sili tip?)
    abowden
    abowden

How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures) Empty Re: How I think I stopped my darts splitting (don't worry, there are pictures)

Post  abowden Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:21 am

nice , but have you tried straw modding your darts?
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:35 am

I haven't, primarily because I don't have straws lol.

But I was thinking about it, if I want my straws to be permanent inside the tubular foam, what sort of adhesive can I use?
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:42 am

hot glue is fine, just be sure you use a lot of it. just go to the super market and purchase some straws, the ones I stooged from the science and engineering challenge(the ones that are in every place with a straw dispenser) seem okay for blue foam.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 am

I've used PVA wood-working glue to do the straw mod on streamlines back in the early days.

Unsure as to the compatibility with blue foam, but it's worth a shot if you've got some glue lying around.

Cheers,
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:33 am

I did the straw mod to a selection of darts and you actually dont need any kind of adhesive because the straws are usually too tight (mine anyway) that if you used anything close to the Macca's size one, you'd be folding it in half and it would be putting little stress on the sides of the inner walls.
    -James
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am

Something that popped into my head was maybe get some expanding foam with the thin nozzle to fill in the hole. You could cut any excess too.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 am

That's an idea.. maybe Bunnings has it. I haven't checked.

Mind you I came up with this idea and did it all in my room, using the materials I had at the time
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:27 am

Yeah it's also really good considering you used up the leftovers from cutting the dart instead of throwing it away. Although you can always make your own darts if you want the 45mm ones, that way nothing goes to waste. A couple of options to choose from I guess.
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 am

Nice idea do they split now?
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 am

Nope, you can consider them 'solid darts' now because the 'tube's been completely covered
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 am

Ok, Is there a Range Difference?
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am

He said around ~25m ranges, which is pretty good considering it isn't pre-made solid foam in the first place. I reckon it's worth trying considering the ease of it.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm

well I forgot to put a disclaimer.. that's with my two most powerful guns, the BBUMB and the singled TS, both with an RSCB. So don't complain your Reflex isn't getting 25m with these type of bullets.

Try it with a few darts if you have plenty. Make sure you don't use too much hot glue and you are generous with stuffing the tube with foam, but making sure it's still cylindrical.
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 am

Have you thought of just inserting 6mm fbr?
    taerkitty
    taerkitty

Post  taerkitty Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Here in the states, you can find 12.7mm stickers at office supply stores. I just put them on the ends of my streamlines.

It kinda sucks though, when someone doesn't realize this and tries to load it in a stock blaster with the air restrictor peg still in place.
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:32 pm

taerkitty wrote:Here in the states, you can find 12.7mm stickers at office supply stores. I just put them on the ends of my streamlines.

It kinda sucks though, when someone doesn't realize this and tries to load it in a stock blaster with the air restrictor peg still in place.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?
    -James
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:26 pm

melbnerf619 wrote:
    taerkitty wrote:Here in the states, you can find 12.7mm stickers at office supply stores. I just put them on the ends of my streamlines.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?
    -James

Well, obviously, the sticker prevents the burst of air from entering the tube inside the foam. It's a quicker method than the OP. Not sure about sustainability though, but it is pretty intelligent.

Cheers,
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Oh, I was thinking he was putting it on the other side to make it look good. (i gotta read more carefully)
    -James
    taerkitty
    taerkitty

Post  taerkitty Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 pm

And here I was thinking that I was learning some new Aussie slang.

Someone else found metallic stickers and put them on the ends of their stefans. Given that darts usually land head-first in the grass, this made them easier to see.

My stickers are orange, so they work, but not as well, when put on the backs of stefans. When put on the back of streamlines, they pretty much blend.

I should do some on some silitips and see how they look.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:40 am

On the topic seeing darts in grass... blue foam is probably the best colour I've experienced and looking for it in grass. You can literally see it from several metres away.

I stop my darts from splitting by doing the straw mod, although I guess the good thing is that you don't have spend extra cash on straws! Unless you go steal them from Subway or somethign <,<.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:25 am

taerkitty wrote:Someone else found metallic stickers and put them on the ends of their stefans. Given that darts usually land head-first in the grass, this made them easier to see.

That's actually a tops idea. If you could do it with .5" holographic stickers it would make non-blue foam a viable option.
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:27 am

littlebro05 wrote:On the topic seeing darts in grass... blue foam is probably the best colour I've experienced and looking for it in grass. You can literally see it from several metres away.

I stop my darts from splitting by doing the straw mod, although I guess the good thing is that you don't have spend extra cash on straws! Unless you go steal them from Subway or somethign <,<.

Thats what I do
    I normally steal them from the cinema though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 pm