Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
clunk07
littlebro05
RetfirDMX
7 posters

Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods

RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods Empty Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods

Post  RetfirDMX Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Here's my stampede:

battery first:
    a 20-30C discharging hi-performance li-po battery.
    Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods CIMG2115
    way more RoF power on tap than a normal stampede would ever need.

red dot sight, AR drill-out, seal improvement (it vacuum loads darts!), spring stretch (recoil and power spring), uncontrolable full auto firing fix (UFAFF), and faux barrel delete.
    Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods CIMG2105
    Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods CIMG2107

full brightness:
    Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods CIMG2109
    dimmed:
    Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods CIMG2110

advice on what to do next would be helpful. i havent tested its range, but it shoots around 300-350 darts/minute. if someone would just make a metal bolt/gears replacement, this could be given a stronger spring setup. plastic gears wouldn't survive at 13kg with this motor torque/speed. 500-600 dpm with a 100 ft range would also be nice if a clip could load that fast and if the internals could handle it.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods Empty Re: Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods

Post  littlebro05 Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:08 am

You can PM Servulus to get a 10kg stampede spring. Or Purchase a Black Tactical Stampede Kit from black-tactical.com . You combine the BT spring WITH the stock spring and you can get some seriously good ranges.

Love the RDS btw. I think as long as you don't go full auto on long periods of time, it should be fine. I know that a stampede I made with 16-17Vs have survived over 4 wars, which include over 2000shots (No joke, you'd be surprised how many darts you fire in a day). However, it's only been fired in bursts.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods Empty Re: Stampede, work in progress. upped voltage + misc mods

Post  clunk07 Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 am

Your ROF is only just better than what most guys are getting with 9/10/13kg springs. I'd say you'd have no problems at all with putting in any of the aforementioned upgrade springs.

Obviously, common-sense dictates that burst-firing is the only way for the blaster to get a half-decent life-span.

Cheers,
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:47 am

clunk07 wrote:Your ROF is only just better than what most guys are getting with 9/10/13kg springs. I'd say you'd have no problems at all with putting in any of the aforementioned upgrade springs.

Obviously, common-sense dictates that burst-firing is the only way for the blaster to get a half-decent life-span.

Cheers,

I don't know Clunk,

I stood there firing clip after clip through on full auto, just to see what would happen, and there were no ill side effects after 8x18 shot clip.

If everything is lubed and spinning correctly, I reckon there's no problem.

I have that size lipo as well, it's overkill but will certainly deliver everything the motor can use constantly.

The only point I'd make is that stretching springs is no good, you shouldn't do that.

As previously pointed out, a heavy spring/kit is the way to go if you've gone to this much trouble.

I wouldn't use 2 springs in it myself, just one heavy spring made to measure.

Set up properly, the Stampede is an awesome blaster.

Cheers,

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:58 am

oznerfnerd wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:Your ROF is only just better than what most guys are getting with 9/10/13kg springs. I'd say you'd have no problems at all with putting in any of the aforementioned upgrade springs.

Cheers,

I don't know Clunk,

I stood there firing clip after clip through on full auto, just to see what would happen, and there were no ill side effects after 8x18 shot clip.

If everything is lubed and spinning correctly, I reckon there's no problem.

I have that size lipo as well, it's overkill but will certainly deliver everything the motor can use constantly.

The only point I'd make is that stretching springs is no good, you shouldn't do that.

As previously pointed out, a heavy spring/kit is the way to go if you've gone to this much trouble.

I wouldn't use 2 springs in it myself, just one heavy spring made to measure.

Set up properly, the Stampede is an awesome blaster.

Cheers,

Yeh, I know what you're saying mate, I've put 8 x Raider drum's through my Stampede on full-auto, and had no issues. I'm still not going to recommend people don't exercise a bit of caution though...

With the stock + upgrade spring - the li-ion kit I use will compress:
    * BT spring + stock spring (9kg + stock?)
    * Serv spring + stock spring (10kg + stock? )
    * SgNerf spring (13kg)

However, it won't compress the SgN 13kg spring + stock spring. I'd imagine that this Li-PO set-up, or Serv's SLA set-up would handle the SgN + stock combo.

Still, I'd prefer to have the one spring instead of a combo. Not just in the Stampede either.

Cheers,
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 am

Yes,

1 spring is best, just use the right one.

A point with lipos is that they aren't any higher voltage than the others, it's their ability to deliver full current (C rating) instantaneously that may allow it to compress a heavier spring.

You are correct.

To fire the thing flat out continuously is like revving your car. Fun but potentially destructive.
    RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:18 am

i have a feeling (since i've tried stock spring + buzz bee shotgun spring and that snapped all the teeth of my old gearbox) that i don't want to up the spring power by much. i'll probably switch to a single 10kg or 9kg spring, but i also need to upgrade the return/recoil spring, since i've only stretched it unless someone has a second return-recoil spring i can get off of them along with the 9-10 kg spring.

so
    -upgrade to heavier spring
    -upgrade return spring
    -???
    I wish i could find CNC machining to make metal gears and push the RoF up to modded-vulcan status, and be able to use a 13kg, 3kg stock(i think), and a 10kg spring all at once. oh well. deams are dreams for the reason that they are totally impractical...

thanks for the comments. maybe i should do a brass/cpvc/pvc breech? according to the design i found on this site?
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:45 am

You don't need to change the recoil spring.

It is not the cause of the auto firing issue.

I had issues with auto firing, and stripped a gearbox messing with heavier recoil springs.

Definitely go with a heavier spring around the 9kg mark, drill out AR's and fit a heavy recoil buffer to the plunger.

Make sure to check out SGNerf's Mod Works procedure, it's the best one.

To reduce the chance of auto firing, make sure to use a very light and slippery lube, and apply it heavily to the outside of the bolt itself especially to where it slides on tracks.

SGNerf told me that himself, and it cured my first 2 stampedes instantly.

Still using them now, never had them apart since.

Hope this helps.
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:22 am

How hot does the battery get when firing?
    RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am

no temp change. it's like the battery wasn't ever trying.
    i do want to make the recoil/return spring stronger though, because of future plans. i am sure there's some sort of non-bank breaking material that's an alternative to metal that can handle a much higher stress than our stock plastic gears. which if i can find it, 30v mod + clip pressure mod + all spring upgrade, here goes. maybe even provide some gears to other people looking for replacements.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:04 pm

RetfirDMX wrote:no temp change. it's like the battery wasn't ever trying.
    i do want to make the recoil/return spring stronger though, because of future plans. i am sure there's some sort of non-bank breaking material that's an alternative to metal that can handle a much higher stress than our stock plastic gears. which if i can find it, 30v mod + clip pressure mod + all spring upgrade, here goes. maybe even provide some gears to other people looking for replacements.

Sounds like you've got big plans mate - will be interesting to see the results.

Anyway, a bit of house-keeping. Could you update your profile with avatar, your age and location please, as per our rule-set. Also, if you could start using Capital letters, it would be greatly appreciated. The rest of your grammar/spelling is fine. Thanks.

Cheers,
    RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Of course. Sorry about capitalization. I forget about it on the internet sometimes.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:22 pm

No problems mate.

Welcome to the site.

Cheers,
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:21 am

RetfirDMX wrote:no temp change. it's like the battery wasn't ever trying.

Yes, that battery will easily handle the needs of the stampede.

If lipos are getting hot or swelling, they have failed.

Do you have a balance charger? That is important with lipos.

You might have a much better chance of finding replacement gears in the US than here.

If you do, I'm sure you could find some takers down here.

In the meantime, you can epoxy the 2 main gears in the gearbox together. They are a slip fit and sometimes fail. Gluing them will give much more strength.
    RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 am

yes, i buy a balance charger for anything i can find one for. even my standard AAA's on my calculator. i'm quite picky about preservation.
    nerfor007
    nerfor007

Post  nerfor007 Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:25 am

Where do u get your batteries from and are they cheap?

thanks nerfor007
    RetfirDMX
    RetfirDMX

Post  RetfirDMX Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:01 pm

I get them from hobbyking. The whole setup will run about 10 dollars for the battery, 16 dollars for the charger, and 10-20 dollars for the power supply wall-plug adapter. USD anyways. But I assume it'd be fairly similar pricing in AUS and shipping would be cheaper from honk kong to australia than to the USA
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:02 am

Ah hobbyking, the pricing is really good with his setup. Fairly cheap for what you get.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:54 am