Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
Winterstrike
phuonguyen
littlebro05
7 posters

New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50  Empty New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50

Post  littlebro05 Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 pm

So anyway, Aj and me have had a little speculation back in the 'Available Blasters in Australia" thread about getting people involve in the Nerf hobby. We thought that the Toy Sale would be a great chance to get people interested, but that's a little hard.

Anywho I was thinking about it...

How do we get a New Nerfer in buying a Primary and Secondary for under $50?

The conditions that I reckon should just be 'second nature' that the Primary should hit at least 60ft and the secondary 50ft. Those are great ranges for New Nerfers I believe because the ranges are enough for you to rush, but at the same time keep your distance from your foes. The secondary is there for obviously 'backup' reasons.

So I was thinking at the moment...

Primary: Quadshot (They definitely hit 60ft or so ranges)
    Secondary: Maverick or NF (NF for distance or Mav for ROF)

That is under $50.

What are your guys opinion on this matter. If you had a few friends who started Nerf. What weapons do you think they should get? $50 is a good price because we want to make it out that you can have a fun time on a low budget arsenal.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50  Empty Re: New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50

Post  phuonguyen Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Yes, this is a very good concept, but there is one thing that I'm not too sure about.

Triple shot - $30

Mavrick - $18

Nitefinder - $13

PETG/Quadding materials about - $4

So... The mavrick, someone will have to fork out a little more, but that's ok.

Also note that this is at stock prices, sales are on forever, no matter how hard you wish.

Winterstrike

New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50  Empty Re: New Nerf Enthusiasts - Budget of $50

Post  Winterstrike Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't agree with the idea of giving noobs a primary that shoots that far at the start. Most noobs can't aim for shit and to convert a gun that shoots a min. of 60ft takes a lot of work most people aren't used to. The triple shot seems easy to us now, but it's daunting for someone who's never opened one before. Singling it much easier, but then you introduce costs such as barrel material, epoxy(the araldite I use is really expensive) and possibly a dremel and oh, you have to buy another spring(min $10 for a longshot spring or one of mine).

You don't want to lie to people either and disguise all the hidden costs. Then they'll just have a sour taste in their mouth, like I did when I first started. I bought 3 frigging big salvos and ALL of them have leaks. I nearly wanted to quit after that but I stuck through it after I found more reliable, better performance guns. You need idiot-proof guns for noobs when they first start, not longshots, hornets and RF20's.

For under $50, I propose a magstrike and a nitefinder. I'd have suggested a 4B, but they're very hard to track down now. If the guy isn't a complete noob, you could perhaps suggest a mega missile instead of the magstrike, if they wanted a longer range gun, but that's less idiot-proof.

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 am

No, I was thinking that when you DO 'introduce' them to Nerf you actually 'commission it' for free because it's a small sacrifice to increase it's popularity. The triple shot that has already been quaded is a perfect primary and first gun because as you know, they shoot pretty darn far and I can mod one in about 40minutes. So that's why I proposed how we would introduce them for two guns... a primary and secondary for under $50.

The magstrike would be cool but I think it would work best if you had a maverick side arm instead because you need to defend yourself with rapid fire shots and is spring loaded. That's under $50'ish. Thanks for the suggestion.

The mega missile would be such a good waepon. For a small gun, it packs quite a punch. It only costs $10 to buy and maybe another $10-$20 on materials (depending on what you do to it... the main cost will be 'replacing the pump'. Which I'm working on to be cheaper). I always see it as if you have an air power weapon. You should always have a spring to back yourself up...

Any other suggestions?
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:27 am

There's no way I'm modding stuff for free unless it's for friends or family. I could spend all this effort on modding stuff for people who play with it once and then stop altogether. If people mod it themselves, they may actually learn to start enjoying the act of modding itself, which I've learnt to start doing. If we spoonfeed at the start, it's also less likely they'll start doing it by themselves, not to mention since they've never modded, the work you put in goes unappreciated.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:55 am

That's a true point. Yeah I guess in the back of my mind I was going to do it for my friends. And yes I have experienced that. I gave a quadshot to my friend for his birthday because he told me he was going to Nerf. I've invited him to 3 or so wars and he has not rocked up to any of them...

Then.

Nite Finder (secondary) ($10-$13)
    Maverick (secondary) ($12-$18)
    Magstrike (primary or secondary)($29-$35)
    Mega Missile... (primary) ($10-$15)

Anyone else have any ideas for 'easy to mod' nerf guns that are cheap but effective? The prices I put up there are 'stock prices' not the money included to increase the modding.

Also I think if that's the case I think we need a write up for even the most easy of guns.
    NightCabbage
    NightCabbage

Post  NightCabbage Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:03 am

To get new players into Nerf, I'd recommend just lending your own gear to them.

They get a kick out of variety - and playing with a few different guns will make them happy.

Other than that, buy them a simple gun, like a Maverick, and just let them loose lol
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 am

Actually, it would be better for them to be purchasing guns using their money, that way, they're less likely to break the gun.

It would also be better to have the buget of 30 dollars, yes I know it's highly unrealistic to get good guns at that price, but 50 dollars is still a fair amount of money to be spending on toy guns.

Sure, we might lend one or two guns to people but we still need some insurance, because most guns are modded, and the modding takes time and money to do correctly. I wouldn't want anyone breaking my NF or my longshot.
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:43 am

maybe the bbbb for primary? Its very easy to mad and has amazing ranges, it can be made to take a clip and is only $20
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 am

I don't think a BBBB is a good starting gun for beginners. Because of the potential to seriously hurt someone, when it's used in a non-war environment. The triple shot has less of that chance.

The BBBB itself is 20 dollars yes, but you also need to factor in shipping costs, because of online shopping, not a walk in store.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:25 pm

That or I think we should get them to buy an NF and Mav because they are the two most easiest guns to mod. They're cheap. And as proven before I was able to kill 3 people with it. And yes, I brag about it too much, but that just proves it. However, this tactic will only work when there is 'cover' and a whole bunch of people. Because they're rush guns. Cost Price... roughly $30.

Also you can actually get your maverick to shoot roughly 15metres or so if you aim it angled and if you aim it above your head. I have tested this in my back yard with a metre tape.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Yeap, this is going in a good direction.

I know this is very hard to do, but who buys a pistol before getting a rifel or shotgun? When they're available, of course, and not strapped for cash.

That's why I'd suggest, and don't laugh or abuse me, I've got a reason why, a recon and a nitefinder.

A simple gun, recon, easy to use, comes with some pretty cool acessories, and its a starting gun to the clip system and everything. It's an easy mod to get it shooting fairly competent CQC type ranges, but not open wars.

The nitefinder's fairly obvious why, easy to mod, great ranges, pretty cheap.

But the problem now, is that the price for this "Starter's Pack" is 40 bucks.

That's ten dollars over the threshold, of it's not worth the money to return/replace.

Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

$30 is a ridiculously low point in which to set a starter pack. What can $30 even buy you nowadays? It buys you lunch twice maybe or fills up my petrol tank once. If somebody can't afford to spend a minimum of $100 up front on nerf, they need to find a cheaper hobby. Now how many hobbies can you even start up for $100?

I'd rather not try to encourage people to start up nerf if the kind of people we get expect to spend only $50 maximum. I'm not being a snob but it's not like nerf is a rich man's sport. We shouldn't mislead people. Nerf is still one of the cheapest things to get into and yes it is possible to spend thousands(like myself) but I've got way too many guns for any one person to use and I have slings/holsters/accessories which aren't really essential but make nerf more fun. It still remains one of the cheapest hobbies I've ever gotten into, despite all I've spent on it.

We've got enough budget nerfers in the community already. Setting a low price also puts off people with money in my experience. They pull out their wallet expecting to fork out about $200, and you tell them they only need $50 and they think "Is that all? Can't be worth my time then!". A PS3 costs about $400 + more for games, and a wii costs about $200ish? I've gotten way more fun from nerf than that crap.

If you're worried about parents not willing to spend that much, then we're not selling the hobby to them right. I propose we sell it as "Spend $100 to keep your son out of trouble, to not be a fat ass and to stop bugging you for PSP/DS/Xbox games. He'll also make friends, stay out of your way and not spend so much time playing those damn video games while he yells at his Xbox live friends. You'll have time to vaccuum, cook, drink wine or do your taxes too." rather than concentrate on the $100 itself. If you think about it that way, $100 is a damn fine bargain.

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 am

We know you're not being a snob LOL. Of course, in Epeen Wars people who have the most money and time will usually prevail.

Yeah $30 is way too 'cheap' for any Nerf Hobby. I still stand by the $50 start up and also 'modding' their guns before hand (except for the NF, that way they can have a taste of modification). Some people don't have the 'time' to mod, blah blah blah.

$100 Upfront seems a bit too much. Yes there are many other hobbies that are more expensive than Nerf, and many of those Hobbies don't let you get outside and run around for some fitness, shooting each other for fun, etc etc.

I was thinking of like start up packs like...

Triple Shot (quadshot) + NF = $50
    (Pros - Good ranges of 60ft or so, Pump action and provides a very decent springer back up weapon)
    (Cons - Low magazine capacity)

FuryFire (AR removal, that's it) + Secret Strike (yes secret strike LOL) = $50
    (Pros - high mag capacity of 10, pump action and still offers a 'back-up' weapon)
    (Cons - 'back-up' weapon is somewhat crap since you have to pump each time you shoot, the FuryFire with AR removal only offers 50ft or so)

Magstrike + Mav = $50
    (Pros - Automatic capabilities with 10 shots to boot, 50ft ranges of fully auto and a springer repeater pistol that has 6 shots to defend yourself)
    (Cons - Run out of shots, you're goneee, and maverick has low range)

BBMM (singled) + Mav OR NF + SSPB = $50
    (Pros - 100ft ranges and is cheap, two back ups)
    (Cons - pump ups and low ranges for pistol related weapons)

I dunno there could be more. Winterstrike, you may still think I'm deluded. But these guns are you could say "Noob" proof and balance each other out very well. These guns are ridiculously easy to use. For example, as phuonguyen mentioned before a Recon might be cool and all but remove the AR, plunger dies and then clips are rare in Australia and if found are usually expensive.

But I'd like to keep the Nerf hobby of a max threshold of $100, like you said WinterStrike. But there's gotta limits when people first start off. My cousin has reach the threshold and has gotten most the guns to keep him alive.

RF20 - $40 (a few months before sales were on)
    NF - $13 (his first gun)
    Mav - $15
    Quadshot - $35

Total = $98

He's pretty much got all he needs for Nerf now. But that's just an example.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am

Yeah I realise that it was highly unrealistic to get a good package for 30 dollars, I even said that in the post.

But it doesn't change the fact that 30 dollars is more or less, the easier amount for someone to effectively, throw away. Given that they don't enjoy nerfing or whatever.

I'm not thinking about the people who do enjoy nerfing, because I'm one of the people who got dragged into it, by Littlebro. I'm talking about the people who do try it, by find it's not to their taste, or they can't attend or whatever their reason is.

Thirty dollars is a fair amount of money, but it isn't so much that you'd feel that, in the event that you give up nerfing, it isn't such a big loss.

That is what I'm trying to get at.

That point aside, those are some some very versatile, and various packages you've got going there.

And that's great becuase if five mates band together and get different kits, they can mix and match; and experience more nerfing. And that's essentially whay we're trying to get people to do.

Errr Thanh, check you maths again...

40+13+15+35=103
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:54 am

An asian that's bad at math? WTF you fail! Hang your head in shame, your ancestors would disown you.

You're quite right what you say about $30, that even if you lost it, you wouldn't feel bad about it. With all the toy sales recently, $40 could have got you plenty.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 am

Yeah I also realised that with 40 buck it opens more combos than the 30 would and instead of 50 bucks, I'd say 40 as a better price range, because it's closer to the 30 or 20 dollar mark, for buy and forget kind of people.

Errr, must be the heat or something cause I'm like 7th in my grade for english.....
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:12 am

Personally I think why bother doing so much work catering to people who dont care about nerfing. I'd prefer to have more expensive, good packages, like the $50 and $100 ones, so that people actually want them rather than just throwing money away. Also, it means the things the get in them are cooler, seriously if I game someone $50 and got a couple pistols and a MM in the stock shell i'd be pissed even if it did shoot super far.

Aj
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 am

Oh no, by all means cater for the enthusiaists, but I'm trying to say also cater for those who potentially won't continue on, cause if they start saying things to their mates, that nerfing is a ripoff, from their experience; they're mates are more likely to believe in them than us.

By having many packages available at the start of nerfing, like two $30, six $50, one $75 and one $100, packages, it open the variety of nerf guns, and the newer nerf guns to people entering the growing sport.

All I'm trying to say is consider the people who might not have the time to nerf because I was almost one of them; until my uni timetable came.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:28 pm

I like the fury fires with the Black Tactical Spring, every person I have come across that's seen this wants one or has bought one.

But seriously, longshot + NF is now under 50 bucks.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:34 am

LOL I failed maths :(. I thought $35 was $30 because I was thinking Triple Shot stock price :(. No excuses

Yeah I guess that's a good idea... For example...

NF + Mav = $30 (but that's seriously underpowered)

But I'd like to think that after they get these weapons. Go to a Nerf war and get owned. They'll be addicted and want to buy more! Muahahahaha.

I think for people who like the idea of having a 'clip' should be 'educated' on how to use because I know a friend of mine who's a complete idiot and dries fire my triple shot (Quaded) several times and I told him NOT to do it because it'll ruin the gun since there's no 'cushioning' from when piston finishes moving. And CS-6 guns are fairly you could say 'fragile' guns.

FuryFire would be the perfect for you could say 'new enthusiasts'. It's pump action (high ROF), high mag cap (10) and EXTREMELY failproof. Like you can't go wrong using this gun... You load from the front, you pump the gun, you shoot it repeatedly.

I've always wanted one but I've never gotten around to getting one LOL. Just because I've been focusing too much on my selfish self instead of promoting it... but that will change!

@inf0rm3r - LongShot and NF are under $50. But not anymore since they got sold out. I'm pretty sure that probably over 300 people in Brisbane now owns a LongShot. So I guess that's a start, it's just now finding these people.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:49 am