Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

2 posters

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?

neon64bit

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Empty How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?

Post  neon64bit Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:52 pm

A while ago I lost the trigger plate (the bit that stops holds the plunger in place and moves up when you pull the trigger) on my Longshot, and instead of taking the easy route of buying a replacement I decided to make my own out of two stacked 3mm plates of clear PVC/acrylic:

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Img_2012

As you can see it so by no means perfect, and after swapping in a 10kg OMW spring, it will no longer catch.
    Sometimes I can feel it slide into place but it won't actually lock, and sometimes I can bring the bolt halfway back to forward position before it suddenly releases. Either way, it is impossible to prime/fire anymore.

It is 30mm wide, with a 20mm wide inner cutout/semicircle. Should be 6mm thick but I probably sanded it.

My question is, is there a noticeable flaw in the design of my trigger plate that causes it to not work, or is it just the slight inaccuracies of hand drilling/sanding? Perhaps if somebody could post some measurements of the original then that could help.

Secondly, is it just easier for me to fork out $40+ dollars to buy a replacement plate like these?
    http://www.xplorersg.com/End_Cap_and_Catch_plate/p1477121_7136508.aspx
    http://www.orangemodworks.com/product_p/u-ls2.htm

Already I realise my design doesn't have any 'notches' on the left hand side and top. Are these important?
    It seems dodgy that 10kg of force must be held by this tiny lip:

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Img_2011

Also I have upgraded my trigger catch spring to something a little beefier, but I am unsure if that is enough.

Thanks if you could assist me.

(this was posted in `Modifications` before but then I realised that it wasn't a guide but a question)
    Sanchez
    Sanchez

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Empty Re: How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?

Post  Sanchez Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Hey man, nice job on the replacement. Without even talking about the dimensions, here are a few things you could try:

Try with the stock spring again, could rule out whether the 10kg force is the issue
    Try a longer catch spring, the issue could be that its too short and not pushing the catch down far enough
    Remove all the priming locks and all that other crap if you haven't already
    neon64bit

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Empty Re: How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?

Post  neon64bit Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:40 am

Try with the stock spring again

With the stock spring it catches fine.

Try a longer catch spring

I measured the springs I was using and discovered that my replacement was 12mm instead of the stock 13mm. I don't think it matters because as you can see in the photo below the plate is being pushed down far enough (at least when the blaster is not screwed together)

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Img_2013

I tried adding another catch spring, to try and balance out the force, and bingo it caught once! However subsequent times it went back to old ways, which leads me to believe that after the blaster is primed once or twice, the catch fails to return to its original position.

I think the difficulty with diagnosing this issue stems from not being able to see inside the blaster when I'm priming it. If only I had a little camera or a transparent shell.

Here's what it looks like when it is primed with the stock spring:

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Img_2014

Do you have a recommended place to get trigger catch springs? like from a pen or something?
    Sanchez
    Sanchez

Post  Sanchez Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:05 am

C 526 springs from Bunnings work very well as catch springs. If you take the spring out, is there a lot of friction between the catch and the shell?
    neon64bit

Post  neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks very much for your help Sanchez,

I haven't had a chance to get down to Bunnings but I did have another fiddle with my Longshot.

I remembered about the the small cutout on the top of the plate:

How to replace the Longshot trigger plate? Img_2015

Originally this was to ensure the spring stayed in place. I have since put a screw through the top of the plastic shell which removed the need for the cutout. So I filled up that cutout with hot glue.

Turns out that although my replacement catch spring was virtually identical to the stock one, because of that cutout its effective length was much less. With the cutout filled in, my Longshot now primes properly about 95% of the time

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:50 am