Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

3 posters

longshot question about sled guide rail

chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

longshot question about sled guide rail Empty longshot question about sled guide rail

Post  chrisb Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:38 pm

I have a question for anyone who knows about the long shot
    There is a part of the guide rail that slots into the bolt sled.
    Is this bit needed????
    If it is required I will have to cut away part of the bolt sled

longshot question about sled guide rail Img_1720
    The end of the top guide rail circled in red, is it needed
    In my opinion it is not need but it will require people to remove it to use the bolt sled without this grove

longshot question about sled guide rail Img_1722
    As you can see the sled has a bit cut out to accommodate this
    I dont know the purpose of this
    Neodore
    Neodore

longshot question about sled guide rail Empty Re: longshot question about sled guide rail

Post  Neodore Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

give us a picture of the back of the bolt sleds like you have done with the original yellow one and put them side by side, im trying to work out what might be hitting
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

longshot question about sled guide rail Empty Re: longshot question about sled guide rail

Post  chrisb Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:04 pm

phuonguyen wrote:I reckon it'd be better for you to modify the sled, cause it's a better product if we can just take out the stock boltsled and replace it with yours, without modifying the shell; do you know what I mean?
    yep, i shall probably do that

Neodore wrote:give us a picture of the back of the bolt sleds like you have done with the original yellow one and put them side by side, im trying to work out what might be hitting
    I know whats hitting
    The part thats removed in the stock but not in mine
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:37 pm

after looking at my bolt sled for a bit, i would modify the boltsled to slide in the guide rail as per stock gun one.

To be honest i don't actually have a clue as to why you would need to cut part of the shell if you were making a ali boltsled exactly the same as the stock ones.

also a question about the plastic circular "thingys" towards the back of the boltsled does yours have these or something similar.

From what i can tell these seam to also help guide the sled.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 am

Yeah you'll want to make the bolt sleds in a way that they can just be put into a stock longshot and work rly. I would suggest some strenuous testing on them before validating your 'final' design.
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 am

Neodore wrote:after looking at my bolt sled for a bit, i would modify the boltsled to slide in the guide rail as per stock gun one.

To be honest i don't actually have a clue as to why you would need to cut part of the shell if you were making a ali boltsled exactly the same as the stock ones.
    Im making an aluminium bolt sled
    I shall make this change so it work in a stock longshot

also a question about the plastic circular "thingys" towards the back of the boltsled does yours have these or something similar.
    From what i can tell these seam to also help guide the sled.
    I cant see how they are of any use and it works without it
    On the modworks website they are also missing

Joey wrote:Yeah you'll want to make the bolt sleds in a way that they can just be put into a stock longshot and work rly. I would suggest some strenuous testing on them before validating your 'final' design.
    I can only do so much testing on the one gun
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm

The white disks seams to act as a runner for the back of the sled so when you pull on it using the handle it has a guide at the front (near the L shaped bit of the sled) and the two free spining disks act as a guide/ bearing so when pressure is put onto that side of the sled it doesn't bind and it stays running true.
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:27 am

Neodore wrote:The white disks seams to act as a runner for the back of the sled so when you pull on it using the handle it has a guide at the front (near the L shaped bit of the sled) and the two free spining disks act as a guide/ bearing so when pressure is put onto that side of the sled it doesn't bind and it stays running true.
    There are also guide rails running the entire front half of the sled. There is plenty of support to keep the sled running true

phuonguyen wrote:The disks also supports the movement of the plunger tube when priming the gun.
    The plunger is supported by the plus shaped pin and by the two long guides
    Pull the sled out put in the plunger and youll see
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

never thought id say this but I agree with phuonguyen

Those little white disks do a lot more than what people would take at face value, I know that mine have gotten a fair amount of wear on them because I try to keep up with my little brothers raider in rounds per second.

This indicates that they are running on the inside of the guides either when you slide the sled forward or more importaintly when you pull it back with all the pressure put on the bolt sled from the extra springs.

My guess is they are there to stop the sled from twisting and going crooked in the guide rails by.

That being said judging by the piccys it wouldnt take much effort to put the disks from the stock longshot in when we get them if we wanted them.

despite the nit picking that ive done im still interested in one
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:22 pm

1. Pull out the bolt sled
    2. Put in just the plunger
    3. The plunger does not move

The disks are black on my long shot

There are guides running the entire length of the bolt sled, even the tail part acts as a guide
    There is little play for the bolt sled to "twist" or "go in crooked" which it cant
    Note how there are functional guide rails before and after the wheels, it order for the wheels to guide anything they must already be in a position to guide as there is no means to align the wheels guide rails, meaning if the wheel are already in the guide rail then the guide rails before the wheels are already guiding the sled

chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:59 pm

How do they allow this, by rotating?
    If they are guiding the bolt sled via the frame rails on the "outside" they would be rotating in a direction
    If they are guiding the plunger on the "inside" the same motion would cause the wheel to rotate in the opposite direction

For a simple explanation of this effect
    1. Get a wheel
    2. Roll it backwards via the axis like you're pulling back on the bolt sled
    3. Put something on the wheel
    4. Notice how it goes backwards, contrary to the movement of the plunger tube

This wheel either does not turn or is only being rotated by the guide or the plunger tube not both
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 pm

we ive gotta say its there for some reason, mine guess was it is there to help guide the sled when there is pressure on it (for example cocking the spring).

The theory behind it is because most of us use only one hand to pull the cocking handle back that would put strain on one side more than the other.

that being said once there is one made up and ready to go let me know and ill order one from you pretty much instantly because i want my ls up and running again

phuonguyen wrote:Hey man you're just jelous that I'm better than you!!

Nah, jokes, What? why aren't you agreeing with me more? I've been helpful! And correct might I add, it is a transformer in the vulcan.... I've actually been correct about most of things that I've said on this forum.

we'll let the masses deside on who's better than who

It was more of a joke about how in most of the topic we are in , This would have to be one of the few we agree on
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Neodore wrote:that being said once there is one made up and ready to go let me know and ill order one from you pretty much instantly because i want my ls up and running again
    see my video in the long shot progress thread
    It works fine with out the wheels

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:46 pm