Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+8
clunk07
Brunius
Unknown
bulletproofvest
-mirsho
kingkottah
Psykka
12 posters

Portal 2 Finish times.

Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Portal 2  Finish times. Empty Portal 2 Finish times.

Post  Psykka Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:28 am

Well I asume at least one other person must have been excited as me when portal 2 released.

So considering this is primarily a puzzle game I think a completion time thread is appropriate.

My best time is 3 hours and 32 minutes. I'm sure someone else has done better and I know I could with another play through.

How did you guys go?

Also this thread could be used to set up co-op games.
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Portal 2  Finish times. Empty Re: Portal 2 Finish times.

Post  kingkottah Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 am

I just started playing today in about 2 and a half hours i've gotten to which I belive to be chapter 8 or the start of the gamma area.

-mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 pm

I have no idea what the hell that game consists of - but I hear it's pretty awesome, and a good time killer. What are you supposed to do anyways ?
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 pm

-mirsho wrote:I have no idea what the hell that game consists of - but I hear it's pretty awesome, and a good time killer. What are you supposed to do anyways ?

Youtube it

My friends are obsessed with this, I always thought it would take a little longer than 3 hrs

Post  238232 Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:28 pm

In case anyone doesn't know the timer is faulty, so if you're counting your times based on it they may be lower than the real time:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/20/portal-2-in-4-hours-the-steam-timer-is-a-lie/
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 pm

bulletproofvest wrote:
    -mirsho wrote:I have no idea what the hell that game consists of - but I hear it's pretty awesome, and a good time killer. What are you supposed to do anyways ?

Youtube it

My friends are obsessed with this, I always thought it would take a little longer than 3 hrs

Well obviously thats a first resort for anyone - I did Youtube it, and all I see it a gun that fires portal and you run through them.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Portal 2 is a bit pricey for me, maybe some time in the future however I'll be getting the 'Orange Box' game pack soon which includes - Portal 1, Half life 2, Half life 2: Episode 1, half life 2: Episode 2 and Team fortress 2.
    A lot of 2's in there.

I think it would be a waste to make a 'portal 1 Finnish time' thread, so how about we make it Portal 1 & 2?
    Just specify which game your playing.

(Sorry about the Hi-Jack...)
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Portal 2 won't run on my computer D:
    Anyway Portal (1+2) is about placing portals intelligently to complete the level. It's a first person puzzle-based shooter.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 pm

238232 wrote:In case anyone doesn't know the timer is faulty, so if you're counting your times based on it they may be lower than the real time:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/20/portal-2-in-4-hours-the-steam-timer-is-a-lie/

I timed myself using a stopwatch. It's an accurate time.
    (my time is not an accurate representation of how long the game takes to finish. My first play through took 6 hours 15 and my friends have taken around 7 and a half to 8 hours. PLus there is co-op mode which will take you another 4 or so.) PLus they release advanced puzzles later on.

The idea behind the game is you have a gun that can make 2 linked portals on certain surfaces. The game has a powerful physics engine which allows you to generate momentum in objects to fling them through portals. The idea is too solve the puzzle in each room. Usually involing obtaining a cube and placing it on a switch to open the door. There are many ways to get around inclusing anti grav beams, propulsion and repulsion gel, bounce plates, and laser powered objects that you have to activeate by directing lasers with lenses or through portals.

It's like a combination of an action shooter and a fast paced puzzle game.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Psykka wrote:

The idea behind the game is you have a gun that can make 2 linked portals on certain surfaces. The game has a powerful physics engine which allows you to generate momentum in objects to fling them through portals. The idea is too solve the puzzle in each room. Usually involing obtaining a cube and placing it on a switch to open the door. There are many ways to get around inclusing anti grav beams, propulsion and repulsion gel, bounce plates, and laser powered objects that you have to activeate by directing lasers with lenses or through portals.

It's like a combination of an action shooter and a fast paced puzzle game.

It sounds interesting. What platforms is the game available on?

Post  238232 Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 pm

PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

I think that if you buy the PS3 version you also get a free PC version, but don't quote me on that.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:49 pm

238232 wrote:PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

I think that if you buy the PS3 version you also get a free PC version, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks, I'll have to look in to that, seeing as I have both PC and PS3 (admittedly, I'm not a big fan of FPS on consoles).

What are the graphic's like? I'm looking for something to test the graphics on my Alienware laptop.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 pm

The graphics are nice but it's the same engine as halflife 2.

You can get portal 1 for free on pc if you buy portal 2. Atleast you could. This is only if you buy it through steam though.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info guys - it's something I'll have to look in to - provided I can drag myself out of the workshop for long enough.

I think I'll grab it when I get Crysis 2, surely one of them will give my video card a thrashing!!

Cheers,
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:29 am

-mirsho wrote:
    bulletproofvest wrote:

Youtube it

Well obviously thats a first resort for anyone - I did Youtube it, and all I see it a gun that fires portal and you run through them.

That explains it well enough?
    random guy
    random guy

Post  random guy Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:16 am

@ clunk07 My brother made his own computer for about $600 and he can play it on the highest settings with no lag, so I don't think that portal 2 is a good game to test your graphics card on but still get it because it's an awesome game.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:33 am

random guy wrote:@ clunk07 My brother made his own computer for about $600 and he can play it on the highest settings with no lag, so I don't think that portal 2 is a good game to test your graphics card on but still get it because it's an awesome game.

I thought as much, seeing as the graphic's engine is fairly antiquated - but it sounds like a decent game regardless. Although I have had issues with trying to run medium-graphics games on high-end video cards - the old backwards technology problem.

Cheers,
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:57 am

Portal 2 is based on the Source engine, admittedly Valve has tweaked the crap out of it to improve the visuals, that said you can run the Source engine off motherboard integrated graphics, Crysis 2 on the other hand will test any rig, my liquid cooled and overclocked rig can run all maximum detail settings at about 2x or 4x Anti-Aliasing, 8x is a little laggy however. Not even a god-like rig can handle Crysis in its all goodness.
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:54 am

Synergie wrote:Portal 2 is based on the Source engine, admittedly Valve has tweaked the crap out of it to improve the visuals, that said you can run the Source engine off motherboard integrated graphics, Crysis 2 on the other hand will test any rig, my liquid cooled and overclocked rig can run all maximum detail settings at about 2x or 4x Anti-Aliasing, 8x is a little laggy however. Not even a god-like rig can handle Crysis in its all goodness.

Overclocking isn't everything. If you have a slow motherboard-CPU connection or your RAM isn't up to scratch, evan a 32-core CPU won't give any benefit
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:08 am

Synergie wrote:Portal 2 is based on the Source engine, admittedly Valve has tweaked the crap out of it to improve the visuals, that said you can run the Source engine off motherboard integrated graphics, Crysis 2 on the other hand will test any rig, my liquid cooled and overclocked rig can run all maximum detail settings at about 2x or 4x Anti-Aliasing, 8x is a little laggy however. Not even a god-like rig can handle Crysis in its all goodness.

Either way running crysis is all about wank factor and certainly has little to no place in a thread about portal 2. But to continue on the topic of the source engine, yes it has had a ton of tweeks (my fav being real time ambient light mapping), don't compare it to the same version that we played back in 2005 for half life 2. The source engine is one of the best coded engines I have used, not for graphics or what not, just because it runs on a very wide range of computers while delivering decent graphics.

That aside it certainly is another factor to prove that graphics, while they help in immersion, don't make a game.

Anyways here is a vid of the world record speed run for portal 1, some crazy glitches used but is worth the watch (major spoilers if you haven't played portal 1 yet):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1U5RUVENNE

Also I have a free copy of portal 1 on steam for anyone who wants one! Just post your steam name after this (Bought the double pack before it came out so I got two free copies, but only my gf didn't have it)
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

Synergie wrote:Crysis 2 on the other hand will test any rig, my liquid cooled and overclocked rig can run all maximum detail settings at about 2x or 4x Anti-Aliasing, 8x is a little laggy however. Not even a god-like rig can handle Crysis in its all goodness.

It will be interesting to see how it performs on my system then. I don't know if you'd call it "God-like", but these are the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-740QM
    Memory: 16GB (4GB x 4) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Video Card: Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5850

Joey wrote:
    Either way running crysis is all about wank factor and certainly has little to no place in a thread about portal 2.

Thanks for the input - although I do believe Synergie was only giving me some information - not spruiking about how good Crysis 2 is. As for "wank factor", I'm looking for a real-world test of my system - not some graphics bench-marking software. Would you perform performance mods to a blaster, and not test out the ranges...
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 am

clunk07 wrote:

Yep, looks like it will run crysis pretty well (not full but still great). Also depends on your monitor resolution (I could run crysis well on my old rig at 800x600 :p)

Going to argue that 'testing your blasters ranges' IS benchmarking, where a 'real world' example would actually be playing with the gun in a war
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:02 am

Joey wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:

Yep, looks like it will run crysis pretty well (not full but still great). Also depends on your monitor resolution (I could run crysis well on my old rig at 800x600 :p)

Hey, you should've left up your original post. Thanks for all that info, it is definitely useful. I'm running all of this on a laptop, and no external monitor yet. I have seen triple monitors used a year or so ago, and I was pretty impressed. I've been out of the PC scene for a while, and have only just ventured back in to it (albeit dumped myself back in to it with a $4000 rig).

Yeh, the RAM is a little overkill, but I got a pretty good deal through Dell at the time, and thought what the heck!!

Nice correlation between range testing/bench-marking and warring/gaming. I'll be putting that in the memory bank for later conversations!!
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:38 am

Have you got a 64-bit OS? Because otherwise I don't think it will recognise the full 16GB of RAM
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 am

Well this derailed mighty fast :p

Choo choo *CRASH*
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:37 pm

clunk07 wrote:Hey, you should've left up your original post. Thanks for all that info, it is definitely useful. I'm running all of this on a laptop, and no external monitor yet. I have seen triple monitors used a year or so ago, and I was pretty impressed. I've been out of the PC scene for a while, and have only just ventured back in to it (albeit dumped myself back in to it with a $4000 rig).

Yeh, the RAM is a little overkill, but I got a pretty good deal through Dell at the time, and thought what the heck!!

Nice correlation between range testing/bench-marking and warring/gaming. I'll be putting that in the memory bank for later conversations!!

I edited my post because it was too much to read and totally off topic, though I am glad you got to read it as I wanted you to :3

Something else I will note though is get an SSD, they make your programs and windows boot up so damn quick, friggin love mine, considering a second one just for games.

But now back on topic, portal 2, PORTAL 2

Awesome game, buy it play it

and if you haven't even played portal 1 I have a free copy for anyone on steam to give away!

My gf is running through the game again and finding a lot of really cool hidden rooms, some with paintings on the walls others with turrets making music.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Psykka wrote:Well this derailed mighty fast :p

Choo choo *CRASH*

Sorry Psykka - I am a train driver though, if that counts for anything!!

@Brunius - yeh, windows 7 64-bit.

@Joey - been thinking about it, maybe once the bank balance rebuilds itself from the thrashing it's been getting from Nerf!
    Drados
    Drados

Post  Drados Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 pm

*re-rails topic*

i think i took about 5 or 6 hours, i stopped to hear every bit of dialog though. just Weatley was so funny, havnt played the co-op yet but i want to.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Sat May 07, 2011 10:20 am

they have actually timed the dailogue pretty well. I heard just about all of it while running through all the tests.

Post  238232 Sat May 07, 2011 10:28 am

Best bits of the dialogue where when you just stand there and wait. Like when Wheatley is trying to get in to the room at the very beginning and eventually tries Spanish among other things. Other bits are better, but describing where they are would probably spoil it for those who haven't gone all the way through it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:01 pm