Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
Unknown
Mozart
redcricket077
oxymoron
8 posters

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon

oxymoron
    oxymoron

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Empty Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon

Post  oxymoron Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:19 am

So I picket up a Hand Cannon for $20 @ Toyworld the other day and figured I would inline clip it after getting hit a couple times by one at a recent war.

I pretty much just copied the write-ups of Darken and Hipponator on Nerf Haven but I'm using all aussie materials so the clip attachment method is quite a bit different. I also reduced some of the dead space that comes from using a coupler the way they did.

If you plan on doing this mod, refer to this write-up to see how to remove the air restrictors first - Darken's Write Up
    And it wouldn't hurt to have a look at this as well - Hipponator's Write Up

I always have a bunch of brass lying around in various sizes so I decided to make a coupler out of the 5/8th and 19/32nd sizes. 5/8th because it fits nicely inside 20mm grey conduit, and 19/32 because it fit nicely inside the plunger tube bell mouth attachment thingy with minimal sanding after removing the air restrictor grate in there.

Here's a list of what you'll need to do the whole Hand Cannon mod including the bits that are unique to my version of this mod...

16mm grey conduit
    20mm grey conduit
    20mm conduit coupler
    5/8th Brass
    19/32nd brass
    9/32nd Brass
    Dremel
    Drill
    5 minute Epoxy
    Hot glue gun and glue
    Epoxy Putty - JB Weld etc
    E Tape
    Pipe Cutter
    Ruler

Here is the finished product first...

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Fe0a78e0

Here ate the finished internals... (ignore the epoxy putty in the plunger rod - I realised putting stuff in there stopped the gun working just before it was too late)

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Be21e863

First thing you need to do is make your inline clip. It's easy as...

1. I chose to use a 9" barrel made from 16mm conduit, reamed out on one end to allow the darts to enter easily.
    2. Now you need enough 20mm conduit to slide over the 16mm and hold it securely (5cm or so) plus room for however many darts you want in your clip - I went with 3 heavy sil tip darts in the "clip" - worked out to be just under 9"

That's the clip sorted for now, you can put it aside.

Next up is the Plunger tube and bell mouth thing. 19/32 brass will fit in the quite snugly with a bit of dremelling out after removing the restrictor grate, push some brass in there until it cant go any further (should be able to get about 1.5cm in there) and then give yourself another 5 or so cm of brass out the top. Cut the rest off. See the pic below for reference on how long my bit was. It doesn't have to be precise you just want enough to give you a good connection with the clip. Glue that piece in place using the 2 part epoxy. I used some 5 minute stuff as it won't be taking much load.

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Bf4ba8f7

The last thing you need to do with this part is put some sort of dart stop in there. I used a piece of 9/32 brass I had lying around and glued it inside the 19/32, again with 5 minute 2 part epoxy. As you can see in the pic below I glued it at the front of the piece but I realised it should have been right at the back as it will reduce dead space further. I will be fixing this soon.

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon 09c96fd6

Now you are ready to glue the 5/8th brass inside the 20mm conduit. You will need roughly the same length that the 19/32 is sticking out of the bell mouth thing. Again it doesn't need to be perfect. Glue it in now. I left about 3mm sticking out the back of the conduit as I found when dummying everything together the brass was able to slide down over 19/32 a little further than the conduit...

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon 480aa480

Next up, take the orange front cover and the conduit coupler. The coupler will fit inside the opening in the cover with minimal sanding. Sand the coupler down until you can get about 1cm of it in there and then cut the rest of the coupler off. This will act as a support for your inline clip...

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Bd30bd4d

You will need to cut the seal piece down as well like so...

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon 89792770

That's it for the clip attachment. Now you can do all the other seal/spring/reinforcement mods you want.

I chose to add a Triple shot spring under the stock one and hot glue/e-tape the plunger head for a perfect seal...

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon 3c9bb2d7

Now for ranges. With the stock spring and TS spring, on 8 clicks with the 3 dart clip I am getting the same range as my BB longshot i.e. 40m flat. I'm getting quite a few shots going up to 50m as well :O but this is because some of the heavy sil tip darts are starting to spiral a little. some go up and hit 50m, some go down and only get 35. Maybe I need a slightly longer barrel or an even heavier dart tip.

Accuracy is similar to my LS as well. Pretty good but nowhere near as consistent as my PAS.

For $20 and minimal $ in mods these things sure are awesome though.

I will be doing a lot more reinforcing before extended use as well of course.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Empty Re: Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon

Post  redcricket077 Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:48 am

Looks really nice. And simple too Great job
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:02 am

Sweet man. They're a lot of fun, huh? I like how you did it with the brass straight from the plunger tube to the coupler, must make for a way better seal. That's where mine's loosing air, but I just can't be bothered with it anymore, hahaa.

With the putty on the plunger rod, you're supposed to put it on the first seven, not the eighth. Just stops it from catching on the first seven. I didn't do it, saw no need.

I may revisit mine with your brass dealio today, thanks man.

Cody
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 am

I think he's filled the gap under the plunger rod where the priming bar needs to go.

If you still wan't the reinforcement you can use a thin strip of aluminium.
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:23 am

Yeah nice work on the plunger to coupler seal.
    ElementGuy
    ElementGuy

Post  ElementGuy Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:34 am

I didn't know that the HC and the TS springs were different
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:53 am

Nice thinking. Had the same idea for my Quadshot.

Inline Clipped Lanard Hand Cannon Img3668v

3 Stefan (slugs) inlined clip Quadshot. 12 rounds in total. Fired flat, with only an upgraded 16kg spring, ranges start at 90' and go down to 80' by the 3rd dart in the chamber. This was a test to see if it would be plausible for my OctoShot.... And it is!

Inlined clipped Octo coming soon! 24 rounds baby!
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 am

Hahaa, nice MIG. I would say inlined Doomsayer, but I don't think it has the power for an inlined turret. Plus it would weigh a tonne.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:14 am

http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/modifications/48-shot-doomsayer/

Extreme overkill to be honest, but still awesome!
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:19 am

Crazy! Imagine if you could set that up with slam fire, some how............ Lol.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:28 am

That's actually where the idea came from for me. Nerkum and Umpshalapa both inline clipped their Doomsayers. An inlined Quad hasn't been done until now as far as I know. I've seen a hoppered Quad but it looked really awkward. I'm hoping I'll have the first inlined Octo.

I only made mine a 3 dart inline because I didn't want my ranges to be under 80'. 'My personal preference' is that, primaries should always be over 80' feet flat. Anything less, makes it a secondary.

Unknown wrote:http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/modifications/48-shot-doomsayer/

Extreme overkill to be honest, but still awesome!

Last edited by makeitgo on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:30 am

Keen to see how the inlined Octo will turn out, no doubt it will be Beast
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Nice work Oxy.

Yeah for $20 there a bargain thats for sure.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:31 am