Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

MIG's ChainBlazer mod

makeitgo
    makeitgo

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Empty MIG's ChainBlazer mod

Post  makeitgo Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:45 am

Okay, since there seems to be a bunch of rare vintage blasters being modded and overhauled lately (Rogue's Lightning Blitz, pSyk's Tech Target and Sawtooth, Drac's Defender 3 Pistol, Knd/Ace's original release NiteFinder), I thought I'd follow suit with a lesser known blaster from 1994, the ChainBlazer. A kind of mini-Arrowstorm.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Sam0387y

I found this during one of my thrift store hunts. The orange cover flap was missing and it wasn't priming properly. But what was cool was that it actually had the chain....although I won't be using it.

Upon opening it up, I was able to determine why it wasn't priming properly. The hook for the return spring on the plunger tube catch was broken. Meaning, that since the plunger tube failed to return before the plunger catch released, no air was being directed towards the dart.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Sam0388
    MIG's ChainBlazer mod Sam0389m
    MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3696lm

An easy fix for this was to Dremel a small hole in the support for the plunger tube catch.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3699z

Moving on to the plunger tube itself, I opened up the hole ever so slightly using a Dremel. And using a toothpick, I sealed the gap between the rubber gasket and the plunger tube hole.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3707f
    -before

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3712ug
    -after

The plunger has a skirt style plunger head. I Just put hotglue within the crevice to help push it a little wider creating a better seal.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3703fl

The stock spring is actually pretty strong for this blaster so I chose not to replace it with something stronger. Therefore I also decided not to do anything to the very interesting catch mechanism.

What I did do, however, was cut a small piece of 1/2 inch PVC to pre-compress the spring a little more.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3704m
    MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3705l

After putting it back together and testing it out, I moved on to the turret and barrels. Frost Vectron did something very similar WAAAAYYYY back but he used pieces of 1/2 PVC and CPVC.

I chose to use 3/4 inch aluminum with 1/2 inch CPVC nested inside. My reason for this is 2 fold as you'll soon see. The aluminum sheaths have been cut to a length of 4.2 inches. The CPVC were all cut to 4 inches.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3713tu

The CPVC nests perfectly inside the 3/4 inch aluminum (breech potential). Frost had to shave down the pieces of PVC for the CPVC to nest in porperly. The aluminum tubing made this much easier. I also used a pair of scissors to bevel the CPVC for smoother/easier loading for the darts.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3715v

Sanding the surfaces to be bonded, I used a combination of super glue and hotglue, to connect the barrels to the turret.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3716jh
    MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3720q

A close up reveals where and how close the barrels need to be to connect properly to the plunger tube seal. About half way from the turret to the main shell. Also note how perfectly center the aluminum lines up with plunger tube seal.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3719a

Once that was all done, I had to do this...

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3722s

What would a turreted blaster be without rear loading holes?

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3726z
    MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3725yl

...Now, I did say the reason I chose the aluminum was two fold. Here's the other reason.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3727dk
    ARROWS!!!

Since the ChainBlazer is like a little Arrowstorm, I thought, why not? Now my ChainBlazer can fire darts and arrows.

MIG's ChainBlazer mod Img3729mi

Arrows: 15' to 25' flat. Arrows are just as unpredictable as Streamlines.
    Streamlines: 10' to 70' flat. They're Streamlines.
    *Slugs (Lowe's FBR with a No. 6 washer and felt tipped): 55' to 60' flat.
    Angels' Beige foam (steal BB with hotglue tip): 40' to 45' flat. Beige foam is a little too tight for CPVC.
    My Wasp/BumbleBee darts (Buzz Bee yellow foam with rubber heads): 55' to 60' flat.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:57 am