Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+2
Sanchez
Whitt
6 posters

What's your beef with snipers?

Whitt
    Whitt

What's your beef with snipers? Empty What's your beef with snipers?

Post  Whitt Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:58 pm

I've seen a lot of hate directed at the concept of snipers in a Nerf battle,
    Generally being referred to as "losers".
    I think it seems that a sniper can have their place in an army.
    But what do you not like about it?

Is it Unsportsmanlike?
    Most Nerf blasters' general lack of range and accuracy to be an actual sniper rifle?
    Hard to retaliate against a long range foe?
    Every kid on the team wants to be a sniper?
    Sanchez
    Sanchez

What's your beef with snipers? Empty Re: What's your beef with snipers?

Post  Sanchez Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 am

I think it is a fair few of those things, mainly because there is no point in "sniping" when basically all the blasters you will see at a war have similar range so it defeats the purpose of trying to strike while your target is unable to hit you. That's just my $0.02.
    I think this sums it up pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fButm1XiCWU
    Jeo
    Jeo

Post  Jeo Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:18 am

Every kid wants to me a leet sniper.
    You don't have the range or accuracy to actually do it.
    Therefore people will make fun of you.
    Point_of_Contact
    Point_of_Contact

Post  Point_of_Contact Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

It's funny, because the definition of "sniper" in the fifth edition of the Macquarie Dictionary, sniper is defined as "someone who shoots at other people from a concealed OR long-range position."

If going purely by this definition, sniping could be effectively executed in nerf, as all someone has to do to classify as a "sniper" is shoot at someone from a concealed position.

This reasoning is taking the dictionary meaning completely literally, and ignoring that the general consensus and practice of sniping is long ranged, completely useless in nerf. Also, sniping can be seen as cool by a certain demographic, and then become the "class" of choice to those people. With so many "snipers" the quantity of good game play is dramatically reduced (think of putting 18 Full Forwards on a footy field at once).

Also, nerf is not about simulating wars exactly. We don't have medics running around hauling people of the field when they are hit, or men digging trenches and setting up cable lines for communication. Why do we need snipers, they add almost nothing of any value to any nerf situation. We don't need snipers, and we don't want snipers in nerf.

Anyway, who needs to snipe when you can rush though!
    Sanchez
    Sanchez

Post  Sanchez Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:04 am

I think another factor is that when all blasters fire around the same range, there is no point making yourself immobile in a concealed position when you could do the same damage when you are moving around.
    stoph
    stoph

Post  stoph Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:09 am

Taken some of my favourite shots in wars from long range, including one epic nutshot from one side of a gym to the other on the start whistle, and a shot that lobbed at least 130ft before hitting its target straight on. There's definitely something satisfying about it - the shot has to be well timed, aimed, and a little luck for good measure.

Is it unsportsmanlike? I dunno, it depends on your personal playing style. And if you're unlucky/slow/silly enough not to be in cover and allow yourself to get hit by a long range dart, it's kinda sour grapes to be making a fuss over it.
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm

I dont really have any beef with nerf snipers but as said before, there's not much point if It's a stock war or if everyone has similar ranges and playing field.

But, it can be really fun and challenging when rolled in to some tailored game types and role play. A few private wars I've been to often involve a game type with 2 snipers v 6 others, where the snipers will defend from a balcony with stairs with modded longshots or something, while everyone else uses a more fast assault type blaster. It gets interesting because there is a range advantage but you can be over run or flanked from the stairs. I can tell you it is pretty fun for both sides.

Regardless of whether a nerf gun is pinpoint accurate or not, there is a little more to having a range advantage than snapping people square in the face too, if you're filling a long range role and have that range advantage you can use suppressing shots to be menacing for a variety of reasons. You can fire to block off a pathway or, to help clear one for your team.

But anyway, nerf snipers cop beef for trying to snipe without having a range advantage, but I feel they sometimes cop beef too much from some people that dont really understand that in certain circumstances its both fun and useful.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:58 pm