Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+19
NachoTaco
clunk07
mull
Echoes
Xoenz
dandaldaks
lefty
-Aj-
boosted6
keychane
littlebro05
CaptainSurprise
Silent Scope
Chaos-Blades
KingCam
Unknown
RL
psyk
makeitgo
23 posters

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

makeitgo
    makeitgo

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Empty Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

Post  makeitgo Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:47 pm

- updated Apr 22/2011

- update Apr 12/2011

- update march 30/2011

Okay guys! Here's the write up to my Octo-shot.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2691c

This is my very first write up so I hope it will be satisfactory.

Since most of you interested in this have already created a Quadshot I won't waste your time with the mods that Badwrench and Zorn have done to the LSG/AZ3hot. Most of those have been done to mine as well. But here's what I've done differently to create my Octo-Shot. (I haven't given it a name yet, but S.O.B seems fitting.)

The first thing I'll deal with is, structure:

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2697g

After I first built it and fired several shots, I opened it back up to find MANY stress points. As you know, the plastic used in this gun is very cheap!

As you can see, I've epoxy puttied the plunger tube support and the rotation sled support towards the front of the gun (on both halves).

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2700oh

Here you can see how I've puttied around the catch support and the rear plunger tube support.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2702t

...the other half

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2709c

I've since added putty here, around the trigger and added an extra spring. The plastic for the trigger guide is particularly flimsy.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2744j

Here's the priming handle with foam and hot glue. The foam and hot glue used throughout the blaster is for sound muffling and an attempt to minimize the cheap plastic sound that it makes when handling it.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2712l

I also added epoxy putty to the front of the shell around the area that supports the turret towards to top part of the shell. for some reason this area (stock) is very flimsy as well. I suggest doing this, even for your Quadshots.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2740n

Once the blaster is put back together, I added an extra spring here for the catch...

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2743o

...because of the main spring I chose.

This is how I handled my turret to plunger seal.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2715wr

You're going to need one of these:

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2729qi

I cut a 1/2 inch of 3/4 inch CPVC and beveled the inside (both ends) with a Dremel like so:

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2720t

The suction cup has a little nub thing on the back that you have to cut off.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2722e
    Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2725s

I superglued the suction cup into the CPVC.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2726t

Once I did that, I Dremeled out the center, e-taped, gooped and nested the stock white thing inside. This creates a wider surface area covering more of the rear loading holes in the new turret.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2728m

...Here it comes....

I used this:

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2730gy

To quote ForsakenAngel24, "SACRFICE!!!!"

After I brought this up to the alter, held up my mighty screw driver and cut out it's still beating heart, I placed it in boiling water to loosen the glue towards the front of the turret. The part that looks kind of like a star. Poor thing never got to blow it's load... not even once.

sorry no pics of the procedure.... yet

Here you can get an idea of what I had to do. I cut around the barrels leaving 1/2 an inch for my new barrels to be nested in, being very careful not to cut or damage the center post.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2731c
    Shot at 2011-03-24

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2732
    Shot at 2011-03-24

For the new barrels to nest in snuggly, I also had to Dremel out the remaining barrels. It took me quite a while to achieve this, I didn't want to ruin it now.

I had to cut off a little bit of the back of the turret-mech to make it fit in the LSG. Don't cut it too short. Make it fit EXACTLY.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2733o
    Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2734t

The back of the turret has a lot of holes/spaces. I thought about hot gluing or epxy puttying them but I knew I could never get a smooth surface. My solution was this:

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2737x

...a duo-tang folder. I sized and cut out a circle to fit. Super glued it careful to make sure that it completely covered the soon-to-be rear loading holes. The translucent plastic helped with being able see the rear loading holes to Dremel out.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2736t

The turret fits in perfecrly with the shell. With the new plunger seal, it pushes quite heavily against the turret, but with the added support to the front shell (shown earlier) it shouldn't be a problem.

THERE YOUZ ALL GO!!!

Put it all back together and you have an Octo-shot!

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2695z

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by makeitgo on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
    psyk
    psyk

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Empty Re: Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

Post  psyk Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 pm

HAH

you made me laugh hard!

Thanks for sharing the write-up and the range tests too bro!
    Keep making vids... They're really fun to watch!

Now... I'm gonna have to find a way to get that spring of yours... mm mmm mmmmm...
    RL
    RL

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Empty Re: Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

Post  RL Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:11 am

Oh man that video is great, not just for the Octoshot factor, but also for the laughs!
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 am

With some guessing on prices I have calculated the estimated cost. (Assuming you don't already have some parts)

Quadshot - $30
    Epoxy Putty - $7.50 (per tube may need more)
    Suction cup thing - $2
    Air Zone gun - $15/$20 (big Guess)
    PETG - $7 (may change depending on length of barrels)
    Plastic sheet folder - $2
    15mm PVC (similar size to 3/4) $4 (with lots to spare)

TOTAL - around $75 depending on store prices, amount of putty and weather or not you have pvc already.

If anyone knows the exact prices of these parts especially the Air Zone blaster please let me know.

makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 am

I will let you know, exactly! (Canadian prices before taxes)

Tripleshot; $19.99,

Dart Blaster (turret sacrifice); $9.96,

Acrylic Barrels; $6.40 ($0.80 per foot),

Epoxy putty; $4.00 (2 tubes $2.00 each, Dolorama),

Folder; $1.00 (Dolorama)

3/4" PVC $3.49 (sold in 5 foot lengths. Yes, a lot to spare),

Suction cup $2.99 (package of 4)

*Super spring; $7.49

Everyone's reaction; PRICELESS!!!

...but seriously,

Total cost before taxes; $55.32

Total cost after taxes; $63.06

Plus 12 to 14 hours of labor. I could probably do it in 8 or 9 now.

If I were to commision this, I'd have to charge around $200.00. Not including shipping.

So all and all, you were pretty close.

Unknown wrote:With some guessing on prices I have calculated the estimated cost. (Assuming you don't already have some parts)

Quadshot - $30
    Epoxy Putty - $7.50 (per tube may need more)
    Suction cup thing - $2
    Air Zone gun - $15/$20 (big Guess)
    PETG - $7 (may change depending on length of barrels)
    Plastic sheet folder - $2
    15mm PVC (similar size to 3/4) $4 (with lots to spare)

TOTAL - around $75 depending on store prices, amount of putty and weather or not you have pvc already.

If anyone knows the exact prices of these parts especially the Air Zone blaster please let me know.

KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:25 am

Can you give us the name of the Blaster that you sacrifice the turret from?
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 am

It's actually just called. "Dart Blaster". It's by Airzone. Ironically, the shell is probably the best constructed blaster I've ever come accross. The plastic is very thick and sturdy! I'm going to use it for something else for sure. The shell for the Tripleshot is like tissue paper in comparison to this thing. it's too bad the internals are no better than a Maverick.

...Haha. I've just got an idea. Since I have the Tripleshot turret just laying around, I'll put it in this thing. Genious!!! I am of the s-m-r-t!!

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2730gy
    By makeitgo at 2011-03-24
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 am

Great writeup mate, I was wondering if anyone had re-turreted this gun yet.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 am

Sales of Air Zone Dart Blasters have gone through the roof since this write-up was made.
    I can't even find them at any TrUs here at the moment.

makeitgo wrote:...Haha. I've just got an idea. Since I have the Tripleshot turret just laying around, I'll put it in this thing. Genious!!! I am of the s-m-r-t!!
    Nah, put it in a Lanard Hand Cannon instead; the yellow shell is stronger.

KingCam wrote:Can you give us the name of the Blaster that you sacrifice the turret from?
    Really, that kind of response rears in ugly when you don't pay attention...

CaptainSurprise
    CaptainSurprise

Post  CaptainSurprise Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 am

Wow, that's pretty slick. I should do that with a RF20 turret. Actually, that wouldn't work. Still, sweet job!
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 am

Haha. I saw this on the NerfHQ thread! I like it because you're an Canadian Asian and I'm Asian too! Wooo.

Haha, the octo shot is like the little brother of the doomsayer if you think about it. Both have giant plunger tubes, and lots of ammo capacity. I'm too lazy to actually do this mod, so I just get an RSCB and get ranges of about 100-110ft. I'm satisfied haha! I like it as this is an 'original' mod haha.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

I should get endorsements from them.

Silent Scope wrote:Sales of Air Zone Dart Blasters have gone through the roof since this write-up was made.
    I can't even find them at any TrUs here at the moment.
    keychane
    keychane

Post  keychane Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Props to you dude, and here I thought that everything that could be done to a triple shot had been done to a triple shot.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 am

Hey MIG, did you modify the plunger head for more seal at all? Or is it still standard?
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:46 am

boosted6 wrote:Hey MIG, did you modify the plunger head for more seal at all? Or is it still standard?

I've done what most people have done for their plunger heads. I've taken off the little nub piece. hot glued 3 foam disks for padding. And added E-Tape. It's hard to see in the photo but I've also added 2 O-rings. What you're trying to do is make sure there are no air leaks while the plunger goes in and none as it primes (vaccum loading) but not too tight so that friction will hinder the plunger travel. You'll have to test it over, and over, to find just the right fit. I opened and closed this thing so many times testing the power and range until I found the perfect fit. I'm sure it will be different for everyone.
    Anyway, this is what mine looks like.
    Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Img2713c By makeitgo at 2011-03-24

I am however, going to try SilentScopes' plunger head method because it just seems so much more efficient. Check out his http://www.oznerf.com/t2737-lanard-shot-gun-airzone-triple-shot-overhaul
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 am

I found that 1 1/2 rolls of etape and a nice fitting conduit/barrel material will make it vaccuum load 9/10 times. The dart condition could play a role in that as well.

I have the same setup as make it go with my plunger, minus the foam disks. Need to look around for those things.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 am

Ah fantastic thanks very much mate.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:25 am

Argh.

It's not my method; it's -Aj-'s method. I even put big letters to emphasise who deserves the credit while typing my write-up.
    On the flip-side, however, thanks for advertising my write-up.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:42 am

This is boss. Well done sir.

Aj
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 am

Silent Scope wrote:Argh.

It's not my method; it's -Aj-'s method. I even put big letters to emphasise who deserves the credit while typing my write-up.
    On the flip-side, however, thanks for advertising my write-up.

Apologize Silent, I was aware you gave full credit to AJ (Thanks for the Compliment AJ), but what I meant was, '...like in Silent Scopes' write-up' - knowing full well that the credit is given within your write-up.

-Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 am

Lol, it's all cool, SS's is slightly different to mine, and a very solid design. Really the only thing I did was persist until I got the bathplug plunger working, then other people have gone on to do better things with it, such as Brad's ausbow and SS's triple shot....

This thing is a beast though, how fragile does it seem? ie have you warred with it yet?

Aj

makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:12 am

2120 wrote:I have the same setup as make it go with my plunger, minus the foam disks. Need to look around for those things.

I don't know about Australia, but here in Canada, you can find "Disk Shooters" in the toy section of the Dolorama (Dollar Store). The gun SUCKS but for $1.50, you get 10 foam disks. I actually picked mine up at the local thrift store for $0.25. I payed with pennies. LOL!

They look like this: Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. 104022571-250x250-0-0_Toysmith+Disc+Shooter+Zip+Shot
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 am

They're quite abundant in Aus, foam from a cut up buzzbee or bbb missile works well too

Aj
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 am

Hey AJ!!! I haven't warred with it yet. Hopefully next month at Massacre 6 as long as my knee is better. But let me tell you, with all the extra structural support I put in this thing, it is F#$*n' BOSS of the BEASTS!!! You have to actually hold it in your hands to fully appreciate how structurally sound this thing is. I've even added more since this initial write-up! The key was to re-open it and look for stress after so many firings. Because I've completely DESTROYED Cardboard boxes from 25/30 feet away, with the 'MAN' spring I put in it, stress points lit up like a Christmas tree. I applied appropriate measures and haven't found anymore stress at all.

I have a basic Quadshot as well that gets 115 feet with minimal structural support and as solid as that feels, my Octo-shot is just that much more. Friends that have held it and/or fired it all have the same reaction, "HOLY SHIT! What the hell did you do to this thing?!?"

I still take it apart for maintenance. But have not found any more undo stress.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 am

Try plastecine, (spelling?) basically the clay kids use that doesn't set. I use it to weight and fill out my blasters, it really helps kill that plastic/cheap/flexy feeling. I used that in the pump grip and handle and part of the body of my TS, worked wonders.

Aj
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 pm

-Aj- wrote:Try plastecine, (spelling?) basically the clay kids use that doesn't set. I use it to weight and fill out my blasters, it really helps kill that plastic/cheap/flexy feeling. I used that in the pump grip and handle and part of the body of my TS, worked wonders.

Aj

How about blue tack? Not too sure about price equivalents but they're both sticky, yet not permanent, heavy but not lead weights.

@makeitgo, I found the Total X-Stream Zip Shot. Put in two discs, I can notice the muffling. I suppose it doens't hurt the seal either. Thanks! And when you say maintenance, what would you do?
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 pm

2120 wrote:
    @makeitgo, I found the Total X-Stream Zip Shot. Put in two discs, I can notice the muffling. I suppose it doens't hurt the seal either. Thanks! And when you say maintenance, what would you do?

Basically, what I mean by maintenance is, checking to see that everything is in order and CLEAN. It is an open turret so dirt will find it's way in there. Especially within the rotation mech itself (If you have a pet, you're totally screwed for dust and dirt). I make sure there is sufficient lubrication on the plunger head as well as the seal from the plunger tube to the turret. I actually put a thin coat of silicon gel over the surface of the turret (where the rear loading holes are). If you're using E-tape around your plunger head, you'll notice that it will start to rub off on the interior of the plunger tube. It looks like scuff marks. I clean that out and replace the E-tape. Plus, the foam disks eventually compress too much to effectively work as a cushion so you'll have to eventually replace those as well.

I'm always inspecting for signs of stress in the blaster. Because of the spring I've put in it, I've also had to add support in the priming handle.
    lefty
    lefty

Post  lefty Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for sharing Makeitgo, very inspiring.

Where did you get the spring from and is it possible to share a link so we might access them?

makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 am

lefty wrote:Thanks for sharing Makeitgo, very inspiring.

Where did you get the spring from and is it possible to share a link so we might access them?

[img]Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Photojcf By makeitgo at 2011-04-06[/img]

From what I can still read:

Century Spring Corp., Los Angeles, Ca
    Phone: 1-800-237-5225
    www.centuryspring.com

C-874
    1-3/8 x 6 x .120 (inches)
    34.925 x 152.4 x 3.048 (millimeters)

On the reverse: Forney Spring/Ressort 72667
    there are 2 barcodes: 0 62277 72667 3
    the second is: 0 38594 00874 4

*update I just looked it up. It's rated for 50 lbs.!!! Yes, it is very hard to prime. http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Century-Spring-C-874-1-3-8-Inch-Od-Compression-Spring-u682484.html
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 am

I've noticed something in the video which happens to a few triple shots and that is when you priming it, it sounds like it doesn't prime all the way back. When you prime it I can hear 'one click' forwards. As you know the Triple shots have intervals on the plunger rod's catch thingo ma bob.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 am

littlebro05 wrote:I've noticed something in the video which happens to a few triple shots and that is when you priming it, it sounds like it doesn't prime all the way back. When you prime it I can hear 'one click' forwards. As you know the Triple shots have intervals on the plunger rod's catch thingo ma bob.

Most of the time I get 7 clicks but there are rare occasions when I can actually catch the 8th. I've heard of people getting up to 9 but I don't think that would be possible with the spring that's in mine. I don't have a problem with only hitting 140' flat. Apparently, that's pretty good for a springer.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 am

It's not 'apparently'. That's really good for a springer. People must have high standards to pump out as much range as they can from a Nerf Blaster. They forget the one reason why this hobby is legal. Haha.

The spring you thrown up there looks like I might be able to purchase it since there's a line of use there. I will have to work on a better spring catch. That can go prime all the way. You can't believe how that 'extra' click makes the big difference of it all.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 am

Maybe the spring is abit long?

I've integrated a recon spring with the standard TS spring, putting it all together today hopefully so will see how it works.
    If it needs more, i've got exactly the same spring again, but stronger, its one i bought specially from overseas.

Last edited by boosted6 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    dandaldaks
    dandaldaks

Post  dandaldaks Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 am

Is this availible for contract?
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:19 am

makeitgo wrote:
    lefty wrote:Thanks for sharing Makeitgo, very inspiring.

[img]Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. Photojcf By makeitgo at 2011-04-06[/img]

From what I can still read:

Century Spring Corp., Los Angeles, Ca
    Phone: 1-800-237-5225
    www.centuryspring.com

C-874
    1-3/8 x 6 x .120 (inches)
    34.925 x 152.4 x 3.048 (millimeters)

On the reverse: Forney Spring/Ressort 72667
    there are 2 barcodes: 0 62277 72667 3
    the second is: 0 38594 00874 4

*update I just looked it up. It's rated for 50 lbs.!!! Yes, it is very hard to prime. http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Century-Spring-C-874-1-3-8-Inch-Od-Compression-Spring-u682484.html

Can't we get that from bunnings?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 pm