Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod)

Bacara
    Bacara

Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Empty Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod)

Post  Bacara Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Introduction: Feel like you need some rushing fire power? A little intimidation factor? You need a compressor magstrike!

Tools:
    • Dremel
    • Soldering Iron (you can make do with e-tape, but its easier using one)
    • Screwdrivers
    • Super Glue
    • Epoxy Putty
    • Araldite
    • Thread-seal (teflon) tape

Materials:
    • Magstrike
    • Air compressor ($10 at k-mart, look in the automotive section)
    • Rocker switch
    • 12 volt battery (has to be this one)
    • insulated wire
    • 40mm downpipe
    • 4mm barbed connectors
    • 4mm PVC hose
    • Battery terminals (there's a more specific name for them, but at the moment I can only remember I got them from supercheap auto)
    • Self rooting screws with large flat-ish heads (you'll see them later in the pics)
    • Hose Clamps (large enough to fit around both the battery and the magstrike stock)
    • Cable ties!

Got all those things? Good, let's get started.

Step 1: Open that b!tch up!
    While you've got her open, do the basic mods as per the sgnerf guide here

Step 2:
    Alright, now take the shell off the air compressor (Sorry, no pics of this step, fairly self explanatory though)
    You'll notice it's even smaller than you initially realised. Throw away the compressor casing, unless you feel like integrating a blaster into it... (If anyone does do this, they have my praise lol) Cut the wires so that you have about 10cm coming from each terminal. You'll notice that in the box there's a red adapter for the air hose, it just so happens to fit perfectly in 4mm tubing, connect it to the air hose.

Step 3:
    Ok back to the magstrike, cut the pump off, referring to this picture: (again, sorry this is a post production shot, not really into taking pictures as I go)
    Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Pb200010
    From here, you can also see the little red thing I was referring to earlier. (LOL you can see my boxers!)
    You'll notice that the place where you cut the pump will now have a neat little hole, just big enough for a barbed connector. Epoxy one in and connect some hose to the other end. Remember to cut a little channel in the shell for it to sit nicely without pinching. Refer to this picture: Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Pb200012

Step 4:
    Ok, now that the pump's gone, dremel the living shit out of that part of the shell, until you can fit in a section of 40mm downpipe (as seen in the above picture). Remember to do both sides of the shell. Once it sits nicely, hotglue/epoxy/ducttape until it stays in place and allow to dry, hotglue is probably the best solution for this part. Flip the shell over, dremel a hole for the rocker switch (the white thing in above photo) and hotglue into place, ensuring that you don't get glue into the switch.

Step 5:
    Now take your air compressor and put the cylindrical end into the downpipe, feeding the wires through. Solder the wires onto one end of the switch. On the other end of said switch, solder about 10cm of wire for connecting to the batteries (again, really sorry there's no pic of this, just refer to the above).

Step 6:
    Now that you've attached the wires, use your epoxy putty to secure the AC in the downpipe. Like this:
    Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Pb200011
    What now? Now... we wait... for the damn epoxy to dry!

Step 7:
    Close her up, doesn't that extra weight feel nice? Not done yet, take your battery and your terminals of choice (if you could find a match for the ones that came with the battery, props to you. If not, ensure you mod the charger to use these new plugs too). Cut the old terminal off and replace it with a new male one. Do the same to the wire hanging from the bottom of the magstrike shell, using a female one instead. I found it helps to superglue the wires to prevent them from escaping. Refer to the first picture to see how the terminals look.

Step 8:
    Now as a little insurance, I did this to ensure the AC wouldn't just plop out if the putty somehow broke:
    Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Pb200013
    This step is entirely up to you, after its first war, I found it wasn't really necessary, but just in case right?

Step 9:
    FINAL STEP! WOOO YEAH!
    Back to work! Fasten the battery to the stock like in this picture using the hose clamps: Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Photo037
    (Just pretend those cable ties are hose clamps alright?)

Congrats, you've just made a compystrike, now buy 10 more clips so you can use it well.

EDIT: This was inspired by littlebro/phuonguyen's magstrike, I just aimed to make it easier to do with less shell hacking.

Last edited by Bacara on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:24 am; edited 2 times in total
    Ungmon

Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Empty Re: Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod)

Post  Ungmon Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:59 pm

NICCEEE That thing scares me, no it actually does, when Its tuned on next to me
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod) Empty Re: Bacara's Magstrike (Internal Air-Compressor Mod)

Post  littlebro05 Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice! Added to the directory.
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 am

NICE! would this same sort of setup work on an as-20 as well?
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Yeah, it'd work well, but it'd take longer to fill the bladder, mainly because it's twice the size of the magstrike bladder. Now that I think of it, I'm fairly sure someone's actually done it already and posted it on here.
    UtahR
    UtahR

Post  UtahR Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Haa ha ha... I've got one of those pumps in a BUMB shell. It makes a heck of a racket.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:53 am